The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: The Arena:
Mr. Spock vs. Dracula

the 13th warrior
Rivendell

May 13 2017, 11:25am

Post #1 of 5 (8408 views)
Shortcut
Mr. Spock vs. Dracula Can't Post

Hello All, got this idea watching classic Star Trek episode "catspaw" where 2 powerful aliens disguised as wizard and witch trap spock,kirk and landing party in haunted castle. Got me going thinking about the vulcan vs the vampire. Tale of the Tape might go like this:

Power Ratings: Spock was seen on show tossing humans around, can punch walls and leave a dent, has that spock pinch to the neck, can deal with harsher climates, higher pain tolerance. So he's clearly a powerful being who Dracula could not subdue as easily as a terrified human. As for Dracula, it depends on how much power he has. He's been depicted with various inconsistencies: he is stronger than several humans combined, but how many?? sometimes garlic stops him, but a cross may or may not. also what level of wounding he can sustain varies. Rules still seem to be stake through the heart, chopping head off will finish him. So spock would need weapons. Also there's that Drac ability to gather storms, vanish into mist, change into wolf, rats. so again, it comes down to what characteristics are assigned to the king vampire. Not much of a fight if Drac is shapeshifting, going mist if spock lands some blows, or wounds him with a weapon.

Special Assets: Spock has a few weird advantages in this contest, though he seems outmatched at the outset. he is emotion-less and therefore will not feel or show any fear. over an encounter with dracula. he would simply view dracula as a dangerous opponent, but he has great earth history recall and he might know about vampire lore and methods of stopping them. so dracula can't terrify him into submission the way he might with a fearful human. in turn, dracula would notice right away by spock's ears and demeanor that this being is different from so many others he has faced and feel a wary apprehension. spock gets brownie pts for throwing a psych move at drac by remaining calm and logical.

Also in another odd twist, spock's blood is not human blood. it's not red, but green with a different biochemistry, so even if drac subdued spock and bit him, spock's blood might be distasteful even toxic to the vampire.

Let the games begin: Dracula must grapple with spock and either injure him enough to seize him for the fatal bite. so turning into mist or animals won't help him--he will have to get in close and spock would seem to be able to hold his own in any fisticuffs, wrestling, arm and legholds that might ensue. all up to those dracula rules, no fair to spock if the vulcan grabs a rock and pounds drac upside the head and the vampire turns into a flock of bats or mist to escape. more pscyhe out pts for spock when drac realizes this is his most formidable foe since the werewolf or van helsing's raiding party.

Seems fair to give spock a limited no. of weapons, out of bram stoker novel, a bowie knife, a wooden stake, a garlic clove, and a six shooter with silver bullets. but we don't want to make it too easy for spock to simply go dirty harry on the vampire and blow him away. so maybe just six bullets. spock is not religious so i am not sure about a cross, we could make that optional. Spock neck pinch on drac might not yield much of result, since drac doesn't exactly have normal blood flow and cardio system for it to work. So it'd be up to spock and his weapons.

Well, all that is needed now is a good castle with eerie moors and moonlight.

The 13th Warrior, Left Field Caliphate, Arena Promoter
(From the scroll rooms of Gondor....)

Darkstone
Immortal

May 17 2017, 8:08pm

Post #2 of 5 (8086 views)
Shortcut
Spock [In reply to] Can't Post

When Spock spoke the words of challenge Dracula could not believe his ears and the distraction was fatal.

Once Radagast dreamt he was a moth, a moth flitting and fluttering around, happy with himself and doing as he pleased. He didn't know he was Radagast. Suddenly he woke up and there he was, solid and unmistakably Radagast. But he didn't know if he was Radagast who had dreamt he was a moth, or a moth dreaming he was Radagast. Between Radagast and a moth there must be some distinction! But really, there isn't, because he's actually Aiwendil dreaming he's both Radagast *and* a moth!
-From Radagasti: The Moth Dream

the 13th warrior
Rivendell

May 23 2017, 10:34pm

Post #3 of 5 (7598 views)
Shortcut
That reminds me of a Mad Magazine look at Star Trek.... [In reply to] Can't Post

Hello Darkstone, amusing line and it reminded me of Mad parody of Star Trek where Kirk says something dumb,

Spock: "I don't believe my ears."
Kirk: "I don't believe your ears either Mr. Spock"

-- also due to a transporter malfunction Kirk has no torso and his head sprouts directly out of his hindquarters and there are those who feel Wm. Shatner does have his head up his ass on occasion.

Imagine if Alfred E. Newman got the one ring, "Darklord, Nazgul, What me worry?"

http://www.startrekanimated.com/mad_main.html (here is the link to the Mad Mag Star Trek take off)

Live long and prosper,
The 13th Warrior, Left Field Caliphate
{from the scroll rooms of Gondor)

Darkstone
Immortal

May 24 2017, 6:09pm

Post #4 of 5 (7561 views)
Shortcut
TOS [In reply to] Can't Post

From "The Trouble With Tribbles":

Undersecretary of Agriculture Nilz Baris: I am going to report fully to the proper authorities that you have given free and complete access to this station to a man who is quite probably a Klingon agent.

Captain Kirk: That's a serious charge. To whom are you referring?

Baris: To that man who just walked out of here.

Kirk: Cyrano Jones, a Klingon agent?

Baris: You heard me.

Kirk: I heard you.

Mr. Spock: He simply could not believe his ears.

(Kirk gives Spock a slow take.)

Once Radagast dreamt he was a moth, a moth flitting and fluttering around, happy with himself and doing as he pleased. He didn't know he was Radagast. Suddenly he woke up and there he was, solid and unmistakably Radagast. But he didn't know if he was Radagast who had dreamt he was a moth, or a moth dreaming he was Radagast. Between Radagast and a moth there must be some distinction! But really, there isn't, because he's actually Aiwendil dreaming he's both Radagast *and* a moth!
-From Radagasti: The Moth Dream

the 13th warrior
Rivendell

May 25 2017, 11:41pm

Post #5 of 5 (7461 views)
Shortcut
"Tribbles" had 2 of Kirk's best outer space disses..... [In reply to] Can't Post

Hello Darkstone, good call on Tribbles episode which gave Kirk/Shatner a chance to get in some of his intergalactic snide remarks, as he enjoyed going after bureaucrats on occasions like this:

BARIS: Captain Kirk, I consider your security measures a disgrace. In my opinion, you have taken this important project far too lightly.
KIRK: On the contrary, sir. I think of this project as very important. It is you I take lightly.

((When using tribbles and their reaction to determine who is a Klingon and who isn't, Kirk holds one near Baris))
KIRK: Obviously. Mister Baris, they like you. Well, there's no accounting for taste.

There are plenty of others, IMHO those were some of the all timers. I actually liked that side of Kirk, pompous, sarcastic and infuriating in the face of danger and adversity.

Steady as she goes, Warp 3, Mr. Sulu
The 13th Warrior, Left Field Caliphate
[from the scroll rooms of Gondor, mapping class M planets]

(This post was edited by the 13th warrior on May 25 2017, 11:42pm)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.