The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
**Founders day game - summarise a book chapter in short-form verse

noWizardme
Half-elven

Apr 27 2017, 4:06pm

Post #1 of 4 (1547 views)
Shortcut
**Founders day game - summarise a book chapter in short-form verse Can't Post

Pick any reasonably short poetry form you like. Here are two examples (both from LOTR as it happens, but pick any work you prefer):

LOTR, A Long-expected party (Limerick)
Old Bilbo is having a Party
Makes jests, and then leaves the Shire smartly
But to give up his Ring
Proves a difficult thing
So the rest of the book's not so hearty.

Or,
LOTR, Three's Company (haiku)
Such Autumn Country
But those sniffing Black Riders
Get Frodo alarmed

~~~~~~
Where's that old read-through discussion?
A wonderful list of links to previous chapters in the 2014-2016 LOTR read-through (and to previous read-throughs) is curated by our very own 'squire' here http://users.bestweb.net/...-SixthDiscussion.htm

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Apr 28 2017, 12:28am

Post #2 of 4 (1517 views)
Shortcut
What a great idea! [In reply to] Can't Post

*cracks knuckles* Let's see what kind of damage I can do ;)

In the House of Tom Bombadil

This home at the edge of the forest
With food and bright lights, it's the safest.
Tom Bom was the first
untouched by the cursed
Shows the way of the world to their Quest

Thanks so much, noWizardme!! :D

sample

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observations List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observations List - May 15, 2014

5th draft of TH:BotFA Geeky Observations List - January 30, 2015

TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

noWizardme
Half-elven

Apr 28 2017, 11:03am

Post #3 of 4 (1502 views)
Shortcut
Good stuff - thanks for playing! // [In reply to] Can't Post

~~~~~~
A wonderful list of links to previous chapters in the 2014-2016 LOTR read-through (and to previous read-throughs) is curated by our very own 'squire' here http://users.bestweb.net/...-SixthDiscussion.htm

noWizardme
Half-elven

Apr 28 2017, 11:24am

Post #4 of 4 (1504 views)
Shortcut
A Conspiracy Unmasked (in 'heroic' or 'elegiac' quatrain) [In reply to] Can't Post

To go alone is not yet Frodo's doom,
And leaving friends was his most dreaded pain
But all will suffer hardships in that room
Both those that go, and 'Fatty' who remains.

Phew - I don't think I've tried a quatrain before! I think I've got the form right (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quatrain for da rulz) so I can truly claim its a quatrain, though not necessarily a good one Smile

As often with creative things, the process was worth it anyway - I fond myself thinking that this chapter is deceptively jolly. We get a break from the pursuit by Black Riders, bathtime, songs, banter and mushrooms. And Tolkien sets up a credible way for Frodo to get out of the Shire immediately (someone has already done the packing). But Frodo's dodging the pain of parting with his friends has a flip side: involving them in his dangers, even if they can only intellectualise those dangers now, rather than feel or understand them. On the 'don't know what you're letting yourself in for' side of things, it's also easy to miss that Mr Bolger doesn't have an easy time - nearly nabbed by the Riders, and finally dug out of Sharkey's concentration camp in a poor physical condition, but unbeaten. All that's far away from the decisions the characters make in this chapter, of course.

I wonder whether there was also a resonance for Tolkien's generation that we are now losing with the passage of time. Young men volunteered in droves early in Word War I, and often signed up with their friends, workmates or relatives. Like our hobbits they probably had a determination to face dangers they could barely imagine. The 'pals regiment' system of course also had a flip side: perhaps it helped quickly fulfil the recruitment quotas, but it also determined who you would see suffering and dying alongside you. It also bereaved whole streets, neighbourhoods and workplaces, when those units had been fed into the meat grinder of a world war one offensive.

So the somewhat sad heroic/elagic feel of this form seems appropriate to this chapter, come to think of it, and trying to write it has led me to some interesting thoughts about the events at Crickhollow.

~~~~~~

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.