Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
** Founders Day Lord of the Whose Line is it Anyway?

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Apr 26 2017, 3:13pm

Post #1 of 23 (2731 views)
Shortcut
** Founders Day Lord of the Whose Line is it Anyway? Can't Post

So this game may prove challenging for NARFs and TORnsibs alike. If you want to go open book, have at it; but beware! you may end up getting distracted and reading the entire book, again.

A book you say?
Yes, the following lines are said by characters (primary, secondary and tertiary) who live in the pages of The Lord of the Rings. Your task is to tell us who is speaking, and to whom.

A boon,
To focus your memory (or search), book titles are given:

FR=The Fellowship of the Ring
TT= The Two Towers
RK=The Return of the King

Let's go!

1. 'Come! Now is the time for speech and merriment!' (FR)

2. 'But I cannot tell how it will fall out, well or ill for us.' (TT)

3. 'Then tie me on to the back of one, or let me hang on a stirrup, or something,' (RK)

4. 'It is long since any of my own folk journeyed hither back to the land whence we wandered in ages long ago,' (FR)

5. 'Yet all the Elves are willing to endure this chance,' (FR)

6. 'Ah, there you lay your finger on the sore that many feel!' (RK)

7. 'I see that there is some great tale of dread in this,' (TT)

8. 'Well, no need to brood on what tomorrow may bring.' (RK)

9. 'Do not let your hearts be troubled,' (FR)

10. 'yet still some go wandering, sons of forgotten kings walking in loneliness, guarding from evil things folk that are heedless.' (FR)

Gah, just 10 lines from a tome that boasts several hundreds! Now that was difficult. Enjoy!

Heart

(This post was edited by SirDennisC on Apr 26 2017, 3:25pm)

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Apr 26 2017, 10:05pm

Post #2 of 23 (2646 views)
Shortcut
These are hard. [In reply to] Can't Post

A couple I know for sure, but I will definitely need to open the book for the rest.

There are four lights.

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
Discuss Tolkien's life and works in the Reading Room!
+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=
How to find old Reading Room discussions.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Apr 26 2017, 10:30pm

Post #3 of 23 (2638 views)
Shortcut
Oh my! How to choose! [In reply to] Can't Post

I would think the threat of losing yourself in the book was MORE dangerous for you as you waded through it all! *shakes head in disbelief*

Okay... let see how much damage I can do here ;)

Elves in Woodhall talking to the hobbits about finally getting something to eat and some rest

ok... it's someone reading the signs of what's going on. I'd say Gandalf talking with the Fellowship.

3. 'Then tie me on to the back of one, or let me hang on a stirrup, or something,' (RK)
Merry talking to Theoden as he pleads to go with the Army.

4. 'It is long since any of my own folk journeyed hither back to the land whence we wandered in ages long ago,' (FR)
Legolas talking with the Fellowship?

It's at the Council of Elrond, so whomever it is is talking to the Council... and after watchin The Martian, I'll go along with Jeff Daniels who said he wanted to be Glorfindel at the secret meeting ;)

This is the kind of phrase a "regular" person would say. And this sounds like a back and forth involving someone who is figuring something out. hmmmmm... RK, eh? Gotta be Minas Tirith. They all had time to stand around and chat. *checks book for confirmation* Yep... Beregond and Pippin! I love those two!

So... someone is listening to a story/explanation of why someone else is doing what they're doing. Being the TT, my first thought goes to Frodo and Sam talking to Faramir. And Faramir is one of the few people who would worry about someone facing dread instead of the military attitude of JUST DO IT!

That sounds so Sam. Is it Sam talking to himself?

Galadriel talking to the Fellowship. VERY pronounced in the film!

10. 'yet still some go wandering, sons of forgotten kings walking in loneliness, guarding from evil things folk that are heedless.' (FR)
Tom talking to the hobbits at the barrows.

VERY cool game, SirDC! I took a flying guess at much, but it was fun figuring who would say what ;)
Thanks so much :D

sample

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observations List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observations List - May 15, 2014

5th draft of TH:BotFA Geeky Observations List - January 30, 2015

TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

sevilodorf
Tol Eressea

Apr 26 2017, 11:25pm

Post #4 of 23 (2628 views)
Shortcut
Hmm were any of these lines taken out of the book speaker and put in someone else's mouth for the movie? [In reply to] Can't Post

The Elves in Woodhall to Frodo, Sam and Pippin

2. 'But I cannot tell how it will fall out, well or ill for us.' (TT) Gandalf to Pippin as they ride toward Minas Tirith

3. 'Then tie me on to the back of one, or let me hang on a stirrup, or something,' (RK) Merry to Theoden at the Muster of Rohan

4. 'It is long since any of my own folk journeyed hither back to the land whence we wandered in ages long ago,' (FR) Legolas to the Fellowship as they are about to enter Lothlorien

5. 'Yet all the Elves are willing to endure this chance,' (FR) Glorfindel at the Council of Elrond

6. 'Ah, there you lay your finger on the sore that many feel!' (RK) Beregond to Pippin in Minas Tirith

7. 'I see that there is some great tale of dread in this,' (TT) Faramir to Frodo and Sam at Henneth Annûn

8. 'Well, no need to brood on what tomorrow may bring.' (RK) Gandalf to Pippin in Minas Tirith

9. 'Do not let your hearts be troubled,' (FR) Galadriel to the Fellowship in Lothorien

10. 'yet still some go wandering, sons of forgotten kings walking in loneliness, guarding from evil things folk that are heedless.' (FR) Tom Bombadil to Frodo, Sam, Merry and Pippin after the experience in the Barrow

Fourth Age Adventures at the Inn of the Burping Troll http://burpingtroll.com
Home of TheOneRing.net Best FanFic stories of 2005 and 2006 "The Last Grey Ship" and "Ashes, East Wind, Hope That Rises" by Erin Rua

(Found in Mathoms, LOTR Tales Untold)

Altaira
Superuser

Apr 27 2017, 12:00am

Post #5 of 23 (2631 views)
Shortcut
Can we get IEC? [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm going to use the 'funny answers may get me enough Invisible Extra Credit to squeak by' approach. It's much more challenging and fun than doing it 'open book.' Sly Thanks, SirD!!

1. 'Come! Now is the time for speech and merriment!' (FR) Most spoken line at Hobbit birthday celebrations after the phrase: "you can put all the mathoms on the table over there."

2. 'But I cannot tell how it will fall out, well or ill for us.' (TT) Try as I might, I can't get various pieces of men's and women's undergarments out of my mind on this one, so being a family board, I'm going to have to pass. Wink

3. 'Then tie me on to the back of one, or let me hang on a stirrup, or something,' (RK) Aspiring Nazgul wanna-be overheard at the grand opening of the East Mordor Fell Beast riding academy

4. 'It is long since any of my own folk journeyed hither back to the land whence we wandered in ages long ago,' (FR) What Legolas really meant to say before he blurted out: "The Uruks turn northeast... they're taking the Hobbits to Isengard!"

5. 'Yet all the Elves are willing to endure this chance,' (FR) Chanted by Haldir and a throng of Elves crowding around the table and betting on Sam to roll a seven at the impromptu craps games that had become a nightly ritual during the Fellowship's stay in Lorien.

6. 'Ah, there you lay your finger on the sore that many feel!' (RK) Unidentified soldier overheard in the first aid tent during the long march of the army of Gondor to Mordor, as he held up his blistered feet for the doctor to inspect.

7. 'I see that there is some great tale of dread in this,' (TT) Eomer and Eowyn in the Houses of Healing, heads together,
laughing and comparing notes about Dame Ioreth's daily ramblings (okay - not so much funny as an 'awwwwww' moment).

8. 'Well, no need to brood on what tomorrow may bring.' (RK) Eowyn, flubbing her lines playing Scarlett Ohara in the Edoras community theater production of Gone with the Wind (s/b: "
After all, tomorrow is another day!")

9. 'Do not let your hearts be troubled,' (FR) Celeborn, trying (and failing) to translate "Don't worry, be happy" into Sindarin while transcribing his Bobby McFarrin CD collection.

10. 'yet still some go wandering, sons of forgotten kings walking in loneliness, guarding from evil things folk that are heedless.' (FR) Standing joke among the closing staff of the Green Dragon Inn about tipsy Hobbits, bolstered by too many good 1420s, staggering out of the inn on their way home. Unbeknownst to the general public, there's a standing contest to change the words 'evil things' each night, with the agreed upon best substitute line so far being "guarding from Sackville-Bagginses folks that are heedless."

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Apr 27 2017, 12:12am

Post #6 of 23 (2634 views)
Shortcut
Modesty thy name is N.E. B. - [In reply to] Can't Post

There were a couple lines I wanted to use before hand. But for most I made an answer key lest I forget who said what to whom and where.

Crazy

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Apr 27 2017, 12:17am

Post #7 of 23 (2627 views)
Shortcut
No. [In reply to] Can't Post

Ha, just wanted to see the look on your face. Shocked

Of course IEC are in play -- this is TORn, not some block-headed Bracegirdle!

... and you deserve extra, extra invisible extra credit my dear Smile

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Apr 27 2017, 12:24am

Post #8 of 23 (2625 views)
Shortcut
Yes, yes, [In reply to] Can't Post

I read oodles: it was hard, yet delightful, taking the book in small bites.... Like trying to make your favourite dessert last forever.

As well, I wanted to string lines together that made a precis of the entire tale... did it work?

Glad you had a nice time. Thanks gramma!

(This post was edited by SirDennisC on Apr 27 2017, 12:25am)

Altaira
Superuser

Apr 27 2017, 12:25am

Post #9 of 23 (2624 views)
Shortcut
Are you sure about that? [In reply to] Can't Post

...wanting to see the look on my face? Angelic

Hehe, you big softie. Thanks!!

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Apr 27 2017, 12:34am

Post #10 of 23 (2625 views)
Shortcut
Wanted to do something like that [In reply to] Can't Post

but my memory of the text pales in comparison to the script.

I am often surprised still (and delighted) to find movie lines birthed in the mouths of different book characters, or lifted from one of the professor's many lines of verse. But, alas, there wasn't time for me to explore the subject for this outing.

(If you're interested in this sort of thing, I'm very sure such comparisons have been made here, and around the web.)

By the way, 10 for 10, nicely done!

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Apr 27 2017, 12:38am

Post #11 of 23 (2625 views)
Shortcut
Isn't it tradition to ban one member for life every Founders Day? [In reply to] Can't Post

...to feed the Matrix or appease the trolls? LaughLaugh

a.s.
Valinor

Apr 27 2017, 1:58am

Post #12 of 23 (2617 views)
Shortcut
If I'm visiting, I'm going to play [In reply to] Can't Post

Good gosh, these are hard. Ya think ya know a book, until someone asks you who said what.

OK, guessing:

1. 'Come! Now is the time for speech and merriment!' (FR) -- some Elf in the woods of the Shire.

2. 'But I cannot tell how it will fall out, well or ill for us.' (TT)-- drawing a blank

3. 'Then tie me on to the back of one, or let me hang on a stirrup, or something,' (RK) -- Merry, to Theoden

4. 'It is long since any of my own folk journeyed hither back to the land whence we wandered in ages long ago,' (FR) --Legolas

5. 'Yet all the Elves are willing to endure this chance,' (FR) -- uh, Elrond at Council.

6. 'Ah, there you lay your finger on the sore that many feel!' (RK) --hmmm. When I see who this is I will kick myself.

7. 'I see that there is some great tale of dread in this,' (TT) --Faramir

8. 'Well, no need to brood on what tomorrow may bring.' (RK) --Sam!! No but it SHOULD be Sam, it is very Sam-like. But I believe this is Gandalf in Minis Tirith

9. 'Do not let your hearts be troubled,' (FR) --Galadriel

10. 'yet still some go wandering, sons of forgotten kings walking in loneliness, guarding from evil things folk that are heedless.' (FR) --Strider.

Now to check the answers!

Cool

a.s.

"an seileachan"

"A safe fairyland is untrue to all worlds." JRR Tolkien, Letters.

a.s.
Valinor

Apr 27 2017, 2:00am

Post #13 of 23 (2606 views)
Shortcut
dang. I guess I need a re-read. :-) // [In reply to] Can't Post

"an seileachan"

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Apr 27 2017, 2:19am

Post #14 of 23 (2618 views)
Shortcut
You did very well, [In reply to] Can't Post

I love number 10, which refers to Strider, or rather foreshadows him, but is spoken by someone else. It is presented as a throwaway line as all great prophecies are... the truth doesn't rely on fanfare nor draw attention to itself unduly. It is subtle, though in this case is a line given to one of the most unsubtle characters in the tale.

Thanks for playing a.s. Smile

a.s.
Valinor

Apr 27 2017, 2:23am

Post #15 of 23 (2613 views)
Shortcut
I looked up #10 and smacked myself upside the head! [In reply to] Can't Post

I should have known that one!!!!

a.s.

"an seileachan"

Altaira
Superuser

Apr 27 2017, 4:41am

Post #16 of 23 (2602 views)
Shortcut
*waves* Nice to see you here, a.s.! [In reply to] Can't Post

I admire you for going for *real* answers. Laugh I hope to see you around more often. That goes for the quiz master too. Smile

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Apr 27 2017, 10:41am

Post #17 of 23 (2588 views)
Shortcut
Ditto! Ditto! :D It's great to have you about the place! // [In reply to] Can't Post

sample

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observations List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observations List - May 15, 2014

5th draft of TH:BotFA Geeky Observations List - January 30, 2015

TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Apr 27 2017, 5:03pm

Post #18 of 23 (2576 views)
Shortcut
Aw thanks guys [In reply to] Can't Post

I miss the place, truly... so many fine folk and good memories.

Heart

sador
Half-elven

Apr 27 2017, 5:47pm

Post #19 of 23 (2575 views)
Shortcut
So this is it? [In reply to] Can't Post

The game you've said you made up with me in mind?
Well, I'm flattered; let's see if I am also any good.

Tis should be the elves of Gildor's company to the hobbits. But I can hardly identify "a character" - not even the tall unnamed one who later speaks to Pippin.

Hazarding a guess - Treebeard, to Pippin and Merry.

Merry to Théoden. One of the easier ones.

This doesn't ring any bell. But it sounds most like Legolas to the Company, in Lothlorien. I might be wrong. though.

Gorfindel, or Erestor? I think it is Glorfindel, at the Council of Elrond.

Beregond to Pippin, hoping for Faramir's return.

Eomer, or Faramir? Neither seems quite right.
But I will go with Faramir, to Frodo (and Sam).

That's a difficult one again. I would think it is Gandalf to Pippin, as a counterpoint to Denethor's "Tomorrow's need will be sterner"/ But I can't remember him actually saying it.
Anyway, that's my guess.

9. 'Do not let your hearts be troubled,'
(FR)

Galadriel to the Company (I think).

10. 'yet still some go wandering, sons of forgotten kings walking in loneliness, guarding from evil things folk that are heedless.'
(FR)

To Bombadil to the four hobbits, after rescuing them from the barrow.

sador
Half-elven

Apr 27 2017, 5:51pm

Post #20 of 23 (2568 views)
Shortcut
Okay [In reply to] Can't Post

If that's 10 out of ten, I think I have nine (didn't open the book).

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Apr 27 2017, 6:50pm

Post #21 of 23 (2563 views)
Shortcut
Yes it is. [In reply to] Can't Post

It seemed like something you would enjoy, and pay thoughtful attention to.

9 out of 10 closed book, well done!

Smile

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 29 2017, 3:15am

Post #22 of 23 (2529 views)
Shortcut
Quoth the Raven... [In reply to] Can't Post

Wups, wrong book, that was in The Hobbit! Laugh I think I know a couple of these:

Forget who, but this was said to the Hobbits as they all headed into the Hall of Fire in Rivendell.

Eomer, maybe? At Helm's Deep?

Merry, of course! to King Theoden.

An Elf - Legolas as they're about to enter Lothlorien?

Elrond at his Council

Beregond to Pippin, about how Denethor favors Boromir over Faramir?

Aragorn to Gandalf?

Gandalf to Pippin?

Galadriel to the Fellowship

Bombadil to the Hobbits

Hey, you missed some of my favorite quotes, SirD! Wink Nice quiz!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

May 1 2017, 5:32pm

Post #23 of 23 (2488 views)
Shortcut
Now ist ze time in Rivendell ven ve dance. [In reply to] Can't Post

Sorry, I didn't get back to this.

Am I the only one to hear the first one in Mike Myers's voice?

There are four lights.

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
Discuss Tolkien's life and works in the Reading Room!
+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=
How to find old Reading Room discussions.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.