Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
**Founders Day Special Event: A tribute to weaver

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Apr 26 2017, 11:28am

Post #1 of 12 (2460 views)
Shortcut
**Founders Day Special Event: A tribute to weaver Can't Post

On April 10, 2008, weaver first shared her idea: "I keep thinking we need an annual TORn Thanksgiving Day event. You know, the kind of thing where everyone could post the things about TORn and the Boards they really like, or which have made a difference to them."

The question was, where to start? As usual with TORn, we turn to each other. After the great reception of her initial query, weaver continued her inspired quest on June 20, 2008 as a birthday mathom in the form of a modest proposal. After many discussions and many suggestions of the DATE to select for our Anniversary, we ultimately chose the date when TheOneRing.net was officially registered by our Founders on April 26, 1999. It immediately grew into a special day not only to celebrate TORn, but to honour our Founders as well. weaver proceeded to organize and launch our very first Founders Day on TORn's 10th Anniversary / TORniversary on April 26, 2009.

Thanks to weaver, we have our very own holiday and a place to express how much TORn, means to us. Thanks to our Founders, our Admins, all those behind the scenes who keep this place going with the highest standards, and thanks for each other.

Then, on October 5, 2016 we received news about weaver that struck at our hearts. TORn member dernwyn shared the sad news... A beloved TORnsib has sailed West.

This year's 18th Anniversary and Founders Day is dedicated to our dearest friend and Founder of TORn's very special holiday. Thank you, weaver. You are sorely missed, Dear Friend.

*bows deeply*

sample

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observations List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observations List - May 15, 2014

5th draft of TH:BotFA Geeky Observations List - January 30, 2015

TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

Greenwood Hobbit
Grey Havens

Apr 26 2017, 12:56pm

Post #2 of 12 (2402 views)
Shortcut
A fitting memorial. *sniffs* [In reply to] Can't Post

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Apr 27 2017, 2:10am

Post #3 of 12 (2372 views)
Shortcut
Thank, Gramma. [In reply to] Can't Post

Weaver was truly a TORn great, doing so much good in her quiet, unassuming way, often behind the scenes.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
GNU Terry Pratchett
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

Ettelewen
Rohan

Apr 27 2017, 3:01am

Post #4 of 12 (2372 views)
Shortcut
To weaver *raises glass* [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks gramma, for (as always) a perfect post and fitting tribute. To weaver!

Modtheow
Lorien

Apr 27 2017, 6:22am

Post #5 of 12 (2365 views)
Shortcut
to weaver! [In reply to] Can't Post

A Reading Room friend from long ago.

Rosie-with-the-ribbons
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 27 2017, 5:08pm

Post #6 of 12 (2338 views)
Shortcut
Eglerio [In reply to] Can't Post

To Weaver!

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 29 2017, 3:29am

Post #7 of 12 (2314 views)
Shortcut
*raises mug* To weaver! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you, gramma. Never will I ever forget the bestowing of that "Tech Princess" T-shirt!

{{weaver}}

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Apr 29 2017, 8:58pm

Post #8 of 12 (2292 views)
Shortcut
Modtheow! [In reply to] Can't Post

What a pleasure it is to see you! Hope you're doing well out there in RL, and can drop in more often. You're missed. Smile

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Apr 29 2017, 9:06pm

Post #9 of 12 (2292 views)
Shortcut
Wonderful tribute, gramma [In reply to] Can't Post

It's so nice to read through the posts you linked to. Great memories of weaver and the time she spent with us.

Thanks for this. Smile

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

Darkstone
Immortal

May 8 2017, 1:58pm

Post #10 of 12 (1886 views)
Shortcut
A wonderful person. [In reply to] Can't Post

Her Reading Room posts, such as the ones about "seeming" in LOTR, were always illuminating.

She was a great and enthusiastic organizer of board activities.

She's the one who encouraged me to start leading discussions.

She gave my bonus questions some very intriguing answers.

She'd always notice if I hadn't posted in a while and send a worried e-mail.

She was a very nice Lady.

Once Radagast dreamt he was a moth, a moth flitting and fluttering around, happy with himself and doing as he pleased. He didn't know he was Radagast. Suddenly he woke up and there he was, solid and unmistakably Radagast. But he didn't know if he was Radagast who had dreamt he was a moth, or a moth dreaming he was Radagast. Between Radagast and a moth there must be some distinction! But really, there isn't, because he's actually Aiwendil dreaming he's both Radagast *and* a moth!
-From Radagasti: The Moth Dream

grammaboodawg
Immortal

May 9 2017, 10:43am

Post #11 of 12 (1752 views)
Shortcut
:) // [In reply to] Can't Post

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observations List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observations List - May 15, 2014

5th draft of TH:BotFA Geeky Observations List - January 30, 2015

TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

One Ringer
Tol Eressea

Jul 20 2017, 3:28am

Post #12 of 12 (470 views)
Shortcut
Better late than never. [In reply to] Can't Post

Weaver was one of the few I felt remotely close to on these boards. I was sad when I heard of her passing. I remember the year I was the lead on organizing founders day. I didn't manage it perfectly but it was weaver who acted as my rock and kept things steady.

I really do miss her, and only wish I'd spent more words here with her.

Cheers, weaver.

"You do not let your eyes see nor your ears hear, and that which is outside your daily life is not of account to you. Ah, it is the fault of our science that it wants to explain all; and if it explain not, then it says there is nothing to explain."

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.