Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
** Founders Day 'Crazy Crossover Drabbles'
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Greenwood Hobbit
Grey Havens

Apr 26 2017, 7:19am

Post #1 of 52 (1871 views)
Shortcut
** Founders Day 'Crazy Crossover Drabbles' Can't Post

You have 100 words precisely to create a snapshot of what might happen when characters from the world of LOTR meet those from another world, ancient or modern, real or fictitious. Make it as wacky as you like – the wackier the better! - but please choose something widely known, as we have such an international membership here.

Good luck! I’ll start you off…

Frodo and Sam huddled on the barren slopes of Mount Doom, gathering strength for the final effort. A pulsing, rasping screech filled the air; Sam shrank, fearing a fell beast's onslaught, but from behind a rocky outcrop stepped a strangely-clad man, elf-tall, gaunt yet impish. He eyed them consideringly.
"Seismic disturbances, jeopardy, humanoids - in a spot of bother, are we?"
Sam gaped, gasping through cracked lips,
"We have to cast the Ring into the Cracks of Doom, but..."
"Ah. I can help you with that."
"But - who are you? Why?"
"Trust me, I'm The Doctor," he grinned wolfishly.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Apr 26 2017, 1:44pm

Post #2 of 52 (1752 views)
Shortcut
I love drabbles! :D [In reply to] Can't Post

Although mine usually end up being babbles ;)

Thanks Greenwood Hobbit! HERE GOES:

Pippin at Minas Tirith

The stone was very hot. The view from high atop the White City was stunning, but Pippin couldn't comprehend the expanse before him, making the stone city bleak.

"This is quite grand," he pondered; "but I miss the green of home."

Suddenly someone was standing beside him smelling of tobacco.

Sensing Pippin's thoughts, a soft voice said, "Soon they'll take you to fair Ithilien where you'll walk in cool grass, sit under shade trees near soft waterfalls and find your friends again."

Filled with hope, Pippin turned to find a grey-haired man in a tweed coat smiling back at him.

sample

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observations List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observations List - May 15, 2014

5th draft of TH:BotFA Geeky Observations List - January 30, 2015

TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

noWizardme
Valinor

Apr 26 2017, 3:56pm

Post #3 of 52 (1746 views)
Shortcut
Keeping Austen weird [In reply to] Can't Post

It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single Baggins in possession of a good fortune, must be about to be drawn reluctantly into an Adventure.
However little known the feelings or views of such a Baggins may be, this truth is so well fixed in the minds of the world outside the Shire, that his affairs are considered the rightful property of any passing wizard.
“My dear Mr. Bombadil,” said his lady to him one day, “have you heard that Bag End is sold at last? Baggins will soon be here. You’d best wear your Boots of Profound Foolishness.”

~~~~~~
Where's that old read-through discussion?
A wonderful list of links to previous chapters in the 2014-2016 LOTR read-through (and to previous read-throughs) is curated by our very own 'squire' here http://users.bestweb.net/...-SixthDiscussion.htm

Darkstone
Immortal

Apr 26 2017, 4:56pm

Post #4 of 52 (1752 views)
Shortcut
JRR Tolkien meets Lemony Snicket [In reply to] Can't Post

I do not think it will have the appeal of L.R. - no hobbits! Full of mythology and elvishness, and all that 'heigh stile' (as Chaucer might say), which has been so little to the taste of many reviewers. If you are interested in stories with happy endings, you would be better off reading some other books. In this book, not only is there no happy ending, there is no happy beginning and very few happy things in the middle. This is because not very many happy things happened in the First Age.
-Preface to A Silmarillion of Unfortunate Events

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an exercise of power are barbarians, and if the laws of the United States continue to condone this behavior, history will surely classify us as a barbaric society."
-George Lucas, 1988

squire
Half-elven

Apr 26 2017, 6:06pm

Post #5 of 52 (1743 views)
Shortcut
I do get all those fantasy-writing Oxford profs mixed up. [In reply to] Can't Post

Pippin was beginning to get very tired of tagging after Frodo all afternoon: once or twice he had asked if he could see the Ring, but it had no writing or jewel on it, ‘and what is the use of a ring,’ thought Pippin ‘without an inscription or a pretty stone?’

Suddenly a black fox with a gold tail ran close by him. Burning with curiosity, he ran across the field, in time to see it pop down a large hobbit-hole. Down went Pippin after it, never once considering how he was to get back to the proper story again.

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Archive: All the TORn Reading Room Book Discussions (including the 1st BotR Discussion!) and Footerama: "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
Dr. Squire introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

Ciars
Rohan

Apr 26 2017, 8:25pm

Post #6 of 52 (1720 views)
Shortcut
Drabbling along... [In reply to] Can't Post

Leaves blew higher in the air as the wind increased, dust clouds chased each other down the path. "Follow me!", urged Frodo, "we must get off the path!". His friends humoured him, still arguing about Farmer Maggot's crop, they didn't think that their lives, their very souls were at risk. The air grew still, an icy wind swirled around silencing the Hobbits. They cowered beneath the tree as the dreaded Dementors swooped above them. The hobbits closed their eyes and prayed, dread filled their hearts. Though the guards of Azkaban eventually moved on, the hobbits knew they had to flee.

Greenwood Hobbit
Grey Havens

Apr 26 2017, 10:26pm

Post #7 of 52 (1690 views)
Shortcut
Sweet! [In reply to] Can't Post

Greenwood Hobbit
Grey Havens

Apr 26 2017, 10:28pm

Post #8 of 52 (1689 views)
Shortcut
Haha! In a world where [In reply to] Can't Post

'Pride and Prejudice and Zombies' exists, anything is possible...

Greenwood Hobbit
Grey Havens

Apr 26 2017, 10:30pm

Post #9 of 52 (1684 views)
Shortcut
I confess I've never read Lemony Snicket - must remedy that! [In reply to] Can't Post

Greenwood Hobbit
Grey Havens

Apr 26 2017, 10:31pm

Post #10 of 52 (1687 views)
Shortcut
Plenty of crossover potential there! [In reply to] Can't Post

Greenwood Hobbit
Grey Havens

Apr 26 2017, 10:33pm

Post #11 of 52 (1684 views)
Shortcut
Eek - Dementors v Black Riders, who'd win, I wonder? [In reply to] Can't Post

Ruxendil_Thoorg
Tol Eressea

Apr 27 2017, 2:43am

Post #12 of 52 (1683 views)
Shortcut
I figured I should try doing this. Here goes! [In reply to] Can't Post

“And for you, Ring-bearer,” the Lady said, and gestured toward a plain wooden box upon a pedestal.

Something chirruped from within. Frodo unlatched and lifted the lid slowly before stepping back.

Something with large, expressive eyes and large pointed ears popped into view. “SQUI-I-I-RRP!!!” peeped the furry doll-sized critter, brown with a patch of white across its right eye. It disappeared back into the box with equal alacrity.

“May it be a friend to you in dark places,” she said. “But keep it from bright light. Also, it must not touch water, nor feed beyond midnight. Remember the Three Rules!”

"That doesn't make much sense to me. But then again, you are quite small. Perhaps you're right."

noWizardme
Valinor

Apr 27 2017, 7:40am

Post #13 of 52 (1671 views)
Shortcut
I was going to try a Star Trek one, but... [In reply to] Can't Post

I was going to try a Star Trek one, but One Does Not Simply Worf Into Mordor.

~~~~~~
A wonderful list of links to previous chapters in the 2014-2016 LOTR read-through (and to previous read-throughs) is curated by our very own 'squire' here http://users.bestweb.net/...-SixthDiscussion.htm

Greenwood Hobbit
Grey Havens

Apr 27 2017, 8:27am

Post #14 of 52 (1664 views)
Shortcut
Oh, just imagine the mayhem! [In reply to] Can't Post

Greenwood Hobbit
Grey Havens

Apr 27 2017, 8:28am

Post #15 of 52 (1665 views)
Shortcut
Beam me up, Scotty! [In reply to] Can't Post

noWizardme
Valinor

Apr 27 2017, 9:31am

Post #16 of 52 (1670 views)
Shortcut
If he took cash, rather than kudos... [In reply to] Can't Post

(Tolkien said that, in granting film rights, he was looking for ‘cash or kudos’. What if he had gone for a partnership with a proven and overt cash-generating and merchandise-selling option? The result might be like this clip from the Pelennor Fields )

Witch King: You fool! No man can kill me.

Eowyn: I am no man! I am a …Power Ranger!

[Eowyn and Merry transform into the Pink and Yellow Rangers.
Aragorn (Red Ranger), Legolas (Green) and Gimli (Blue) arrive on motorcycles
(Posable Figures @$12.95ea).
[They all fight. The Witch King is defeated.]

[Lightning strikes and the Witch King reappears, now the size of a city block.]

Aragorn: Summoning Mega-Mecha-Eagle!

[Long Animation in which colour-coded robot eagles (toys @$19.95ea) fly in, then assemble into one large robot.]

Witch King [waiting patiently]: You guys let me know when you’re done transforming, Okay?

~~~~~~

noWizardme
Valinor

Apr 27 2017, 12:00pm

Post #17 of 52 (1666 views)
Shortcut
The Dr Seuss [strike]Sleep[/strike] Ring Book [In reply to] Can't Post

The news just came in from the Country of Shire
Of a ring that shows runes when it’s tossed in a fire.
This may not seem very important I know,
But it IS, so I’m bothering telling you so.

The runes are in Black Speech, but here is the thing –
It shows us that Gandalf has found the One Ring!
This Ring is quite tempting you see, like a cough -
It takes one bad deed and starts other deeds off.
Perilous Ring! Gandalf best get that hobbit
To take his Ring off to Mount Doom and just lob it!

[Come to think f it, wouldn't Dr Seuss illustrations of Middle-earth be just wonderful...]

~~~~~~

noWizardme
Valinor

Apr 27 2017, 12:06pm

Post #18 of 52 (1660 views)
Shortcut
Bravo! Darkstone's recent footer was also almost an entry too [In reply to] Can't Post

At just a bit too long for a drabble (well, the competition hadn't been annonced!) it managed this nice Star Wars crossover:

Boromir: "One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume. Not with ten thousand men could you do this.”

Gandalf: “Well, Sauron doesn't consider a nine-member fellowship to be any threat, or they'd have a tighter defense. An analysis of the plans provided by Lord Elrond has demonstrated a weakness in the Dark Land. But the approach will not be easy. You are required to pass over the mountains of Mordor and cross the plateau of Gorgoroth to this point. It's a small thermal exhaust port, right below the main port. The Cracks of Doom lead directly to the reactor system. A precise hit will start a chain reaction which should destroy Barad-dûr."

Darkstone footer (one of many fine ones)

~~~~~~

noWizardme
Valinor

Apr 27 2017, 4:51pm

Post #19 of 52 (1643 views)
Shortcut
Bravo: Maybe you need a Carroll Diagram!// [In reply to] Can't Post

~~~~~~

squire
Half-elven

Apr 27 2017, 6:57pm

Post #20 of 52 (1634 views)
Shortcut
Maybe so! [In reply to] Can't Post

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Archive: All the TORn Reading Room Book Discussions (including the 1st BotR Discussion!) and Footerama: "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
Dr. Squire introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

Ruxendil_Thoorg
Tol Eressea

Apr 27 2017, 9:05pm

Post #21 of 52 (1620 views)
Shortcut
Drabble attempt #2 -Is It Dead? [In reply to] Can't Post

“And for you, Ring-bearer,” said the Lady as Frodo peered into the cage. "May it be a friend to you in dark places."

"Most grateful, my Lady.” Frodo stammered. "But....is it sleeping? Is that... a nail?"

"The Calaquendian Blue bears the power of Elbereth,” she intoned. “Without its feet pinned, it would have bent the bars, VOOM! Feeweeweewee! And what plumage!”

Frodo felt faint. The parrot would not ‘voom' if run through with lightning. Demised. Ceased to be. It is an ex-parrot.

Sam hastily pipped: "Have you any more of those shiny daggers?"

"That doesn't make much sense to me. But then again, you are quite small. Perhaps you're right."

Greenwood Hobbit
Grey Havens

Apr 27 2017, 9:40pm

Post #22 of 52 (1610 views)
Shortcut
One Merchandiser to Rule Them All... hah! [In reply to] Can't Post

Greenwood Hobbit
Grey Havens

Apr 27 2017, 9:42pm

Post #23 of 52 (1610 views)
Shortcut
I'm having this disturbing mental image [In reply to] Can't Post

of Gandalf as The Cat in the Hat now... arghhh!

Greenwood Hobbit
Grey Havens

Apr 27 2017, 9:44pm

Post #24 of 52 (1609 views)
Shortcut
No competition for Gwaihir then... classic! [In reply to] Can't Post

dormouse
Half-elven

Apr 28 2017, 1:49pm

Post #25 of 52 (1585 views)
Shortcut
When Edward Lear met Tolkien..... [In reply to] Can't Post

There once was a hobbit who said
“Adventures, or so I have read,
Destroy a chap’s rest
And spoil his new vest
And plant unpleasant thoughts in his head."

A Baggins he, Bilbo by name
And not one to hanker for fame
He preferred food and cheer
And a good mug of beer
And a comforting hearth with red flame.

But a wizard one day knocked his door
Bringing one dwarf, then more and then more
Of a dragon they sang
In deep voices that rang
Till Bilbo passed out on the floor.....

That’s 100 words – can’t I have more?

For still there are so many things
that I have never seen:
in every wood and every spring
there is a different green. . .

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.