Neither
View Results (53 votes)

lionoferebor
Rohan

Apr 1 2017, 8:44pm

Post #1 of 20 (4054 views)
Shortcut
Cats or Dogs Can't Post

Which do you prefer? Having grown up around them, I prefer cats. My husband on the other hand prefers dogs. Needless to say, we have a sweet pit-lab mix and a mischievous orange kitten. Both of whom are spoiled by the way.

sevilodorf
Tol Eressea

Apr 1 2017, 11:41pm

Post #2 of 20 (3967 views)
Shortcut
My daughter is the type to attract strays so we've had them both plus more [In reply to] Can't Post

Thus when she was younger the household was filled with a revolving (and not so revolving) assortment of dogs, cats, and equines... from an ancient Shetland pony to a donkey.... I swear there was a time that if you sent her to the grocery store she came back with a kitten....

Personally I'm not much for any of them.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Apr 2 2017, 12:23am

Post #3 of 20 (3957 views)
Shortcut
Both, reallly... [In reply to] Can't Post

...but if I'm honest, I do have a preference for cats. It's telling that my wife & I have never owned a dog (yet).

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Apr 3 2017, 4:53pm

Post #4 of 20 (3876 views)
Shortcut
I listed Both [In reply to] Can't Post

because we have both. But to be honest, I probably prefer cats because they aren't as needy as dogs (except that you have to keep that litter box cleaned out!Mad). I've been told I'm a lousy pet owner because I don't spend enough time with my dog. He's a sweetheart, but he's also really my daughter's dog, and she's away at college. He may be the last dog we own, hmmm. I'd like to try some gardening someday! Anyway, we have one outdoor dog & two indoor cats, and NO ANIMALS IN THE BED! NO, NO, NO!!!!! I know some people do that, and I don't judge, but I'm not one of them.

Annael
Immortal

Apr 3 2017, 5:08pm

Post #5 of 20 (3873 views)
Shortcut
both [In reply to] Can't Post

I grew up with big dogs (retrievers and German shepherds) and they will always have the first place in my heart, but over time I learned the joys of cats and eventually, even small dogs. Right now we have two cats, an old lady tuxedo and my wild child, an 8-month-old kitten, because cats are a lot easier to care for, but I'm hoping there's another GSD in my future. My last shepherd adored cats so I always had a least one for her to snuggle with.

Annael
Immortal

Apr 3 2017, 5:10pm

Post #6 of 20 (3873 views)
Shortcut
I hope [In reply to] Can't Post

the dog gets to come inside sometime? They are pack animals and really lonely if they can't live WITH their people.

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Apr 3 2017, 7:28pm

Post #7 of 20 (3856 views)
Shortcut
Well, yes but... [In reply to] Can't Post

I admit, not for very long. He does sleep indoors in a kennel box, which my hubby insists on, but I don't know why. Seems like that is uncomfortable, although yes indoors away from cold and rainy weather. Like I said, probably not a great dog parent. We're actually having a house built, and if it weren't for Poe I think we'd just rent an apartment by the month, but he's really not an indoor dog. I don't see locking him inside the kennel all day and all night, so we're looking for a house with a fenced yard to rent. Probably got to sign a year's lease, thoughFrown, oh well!

Annael
Immortal

Apr 4 2017, 4:42am

Post #8 of 20 (3834 views)
Shortcut
actually [In reply to] Can't Post

most dogs do love a kind of cave to sleep in and they don't mind being crammed in. Mine chose to sleep in her crate for the first half of her life, until she discovered the joys of the couch (I started out saying no dogs on couches, but . . . .).

Elarie
Grey Havens

Apr 6 2017, 11:51pm

Post #9 of 20 (3774 views)
Shortcut
Both [In reply to] Can't Post

but only cats for many years because they don't have to go outside for walks and because I seem to be a stray cat magnet. I've heard a rumor that there are people who actually pay for cats Shocked but I suspect that's just one of those urban legends. Why pay when they just move into your yard and start demanding food and the next thing you know they're in the house?
Wink

OldestDaughter
Rohan

Apr 7 2017, 12:11am

Post #10 of 20 (3772 views)
Shortcut
I love both, but I voted dogs. [In reply to] Can't Post

Mainly because I have had more dogs in my life that I remember. (None of the cats liked us little kids growing up! Sly) The one cat I really love is my mom's cat, Casper.

I voted dogs too because out of all we have had (and have) only two have taken my heart: A golden retriever mix who died when I was ten or so(maybe a bit younger) and our current German Shepherd.(She is a joy!)

Starling
Half-elven

Apr 7 2017, 8:11pm

Post #11 of 20 (3734 views)
Shortcut
Dogs [In reply to] Can't Post

Cats are just so...up themselves.

And yes I do have a cat as well, more fool me.

cats16
Half-elven

Apr 8 2017, 8:58am

Post #12 of 20 (3703 views)
Shortcut
I'll give ya 16 guesses... [In reply to] Can't Post

Tongue

In truth, I prefer dogs but like cats as well.

Sigh, these threads make my vanity username searches next to impossible.

imin
Valinor

Apr 8 2017, 9:05am

Post #13 of 20 (3705 views)
Shortcut
Much prefer dogs [In reply to] Can't Post

I love dogs, i have had dogs as pets in the past but currently due to work commitments cannot have a pet - i feel it would be cruel and selfish, however if my circumstances allow in the future i will for sure get a dog, most likely a Golden Retriever.

Annael
Immortal

Apr 10 2017, 2:29pm

Post #14 of 20 (3657 views)
Shortcut
you're in the UK, right? [In reply to] Can't Post

American goldens are sadly overbred and suffer from unusually high rates of fatal cancers. We had a half-golden, half-shepherd who died of cancer at 9. In my town a lot of people have gone for English Cream goldens - the white variety - as they don't have the same cancer rate.

In fact it seems a good rule to buy European for most breeds. My last GSD was pure German stock and she lived to almost 14 and had no health problems except a touch of arthritis in her old age.

I blame the American Kennel Association which encourages breeding for looks over other qualities.

imin
Valinor

Apr 10 2017, 6:57pm

Post #15 of 20 (3634 views)
Shortcut
In the UK [In reply to] Can't Post

Yeah I'm from the UK.

I think pedigree breeds in UK can be just as bad sadly, with many people breeding for a certain look rather than health of the dog. It makes me think maybe i should get a mongrel/cross breed as they are meant to be healthier. I will be honest a part of wanting a Golden is they are beautiful but mostly temperament. My partner would prefer a non-shedding breed of dog - obviously still shed but less, such as a Schnauzer which i have had before and was a fantastic dog but i wanted something a little bigger. Will probably end up with a Schnauzer lol. There is a fair amount of genetic testing for Golden's in UK now, so if you go to a good breeder they should have all the tests done etc, its no guarantee but should reduce the risk.

I have noticed Golden's in the UK tend to be stockier and less golden more yellow or cream than the ones in the US.

I have always been a bit wary of GSD, my dad got attacked by one when pushing me in a pram when i was a baby (would be weird if i were in a pram at any other age right? lol), he got quite bad injuries to his leg from it - completely unprovoked as he didn't even see it coming. Other times i have tried to pet a GSD as a child they tried to bite me and i can remember telling this to my partner and the next time she tried to stroke one after telling her about my trials, the dog went for her hand! I know this must be down to how we have approached the dog or something but seems kinda weird! most dogs love me, but GSD for some reason hate me, and its quite a bad dog to hate you as it can do harm, wouldn't mind if it was a toy poodle, lol. Maybe they can sense my apprehension i don't know. I think looking back it was maybe how i went to pet the dog with my hand outstretched towards its face/head - probably didn't like that. Will have to try again with another GSD one day, i think they are great dogs, super intelligent and very handsome, they are our police dogs in UK. Sadly they don't like me :(

I have seen some GSD show dogs which have been breed in UK with their hind legs as curved or shorter than they should be and it makes them have a weird way of walking, almost breeding deformity into the dog, so sad. The police ones though, of course are super healthy and intelligent.

Annael
Immortal

Apr 11 2017, 5:00am

Post #16 of 20 (3607 views)
Shortcut
the only dogs that have ever bitten me [In reply to] Can't Post

are toy poodles. And chihuahuas. I distrust little yappy dogs as a result. Never been bitten by a big dog. Both our GSDs had lovely temperaments. I've gone up to strangers walking a GSD and asked if I could say hello to their dog, and while they're saying "well, she's not very friendly" usually the dog has already come right up to me & given me a kiss. So yeah, I think it's all in the approach, even if you're not conscious of it you're probably tense & they tense up too.

Over here the big rage now is goldens or labs crossed with standard poodles: goldendoodles or labradoodles. You get the temperament AND the lack of shedding/allergies in one. Plus they're very smart. But I don't find them as attractive; I like the big heads of retrievers, and the doodles tend to have that pointy jaw of poodles.

dormouse
Half-elven

Apr 11 2017, 9:57am

Post #17 of 20 (3585 views)
Shortcut
Cats..... [In reply to] Can't Post

Always.

My choice may be skewed by an unfortunate experience with an Alsatian at the age of two, but in any case I love the independence and mischief of cats. If a cat stays with you know it wants to. If it comes to you for affection, you know you've been chosen. And they are so graceful - and at times, so funny.

imin
Valinor

Apr 11 2017, 6:17pm

Post #18 of 20 (3568 views)
Shortcut
Labradoodles are getting big here [In reply to] Can't Post

At least where i live, i think it is the non-shedding combined with intelligence and all round good family pet, but like you i really think the poodle part makes them look less attractive.
Come to think of it a chihuahua has been snappy with me before - a yappy dog, would agree.

I also really like Bernese Mountain dogs - seen some BMD puppies at a dog festival local to me and they were so cute, just wanted to take one home, lol.

Annael
Immortal

Apr 19 2017, 7:32pm

Post #19 of 20 (3373 views)
Shortcut
Bernese are just big softies [In reply to] Can't Post

I think they were bred to pull milk carts? Not at all aggressive, and the ones I know think they are lap dogs despite their size.

(This post was edited by Annael on Apr 19 2017, 7:32pm)

Ilmatar
Rohan

Apr 25 2017, 7:38pm

Post #20 of 20 (3028 views)
Shortcut
Both [In reply to] Can't Post

I voted for both but for now we only have cats. Two lovely adult females who were looking for a home together when their elderly owner had to give them up, and they moved to us in December.
Very different personalities - I never knew they could have so many personal quirks Tongue - but charming and adorable in their own ways.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.