Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
*makes way past streamers and decorations* Welcome to a Founder's Day preview Fiesta!
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Apr 21 2017, 4:04pm

Post #1 of 53 (1169 views)
Shortcut
*makes way past streamers and decorations* Welcome to a Founder's Day preview Fiesta! Can't Post

Hello everyone! Welcome to a special Fiesta before a even more special day, Founder's Day, which is this coming Wednesday, April 26! Founder's Day celebrates the founding of TORn which was almost 18 crazy, fun years ago! Of course, it also celebrates our four very special founders:

Heart Corvar, Xoanon, Calisuri and TehanuHeart

As if that wasn't enough to celebrate, the new message boards turned ten years old on April 17th! So, help us wish Happy Birthday to the boards!

Speaking of the boards, be sure to check out the various boards this coming Wednesday for special Founder's Day features, games and activities. Look for threads with **FD in the subject lines. In the meantime, here at Fiesta, don't forget to toast to 18 years of TORn, to 10 years of the new boards, and to absent friends (whom we sincerely hope will peek in this week and say hi).

*kicks juke box* Celebration by Kool and the Gang starts to play

Happy Founder's Day weekend, everyone!! CoolLaugh

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

(This post was edited by Altaira on Apr 21 2017, 4:04pm)

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 21 2017, 4:41pm

Post #2 of 53 (1058 views)
Shortcut
*eyes go wide* It's Friday already? And a Celebration Friday, at that! [In reply to] Can't Post

Happy Founders' Day Fiesta to everyone! May the posts on TORn and these Boards never grow thin! Heart

I knew what day it was, but I didn't realize it was *Friday* - has that ever happened to anyone else?

We've got standardized testing going on at the school (which always throws everyone off-schedule). And I've been making sure everything is all set for next Thursday, when we close on my Dad's house (yes, I'm getting jittery about it!).

I'll take a very large mug of high-caffein coffee, please, Altaira - and I'll need to slow myself down a bit, I don't want to miss the festivities next week! Smile

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Apr 21 2017, 6:18pm

Post #3 of 53 (1055 views)
Shortcut
Triple-espresso, coming up! [In reply to] Can't Post

Wow, closing on the house! Very exciting indeed.

So, you're getting jittery about that, *and* wanted high-caffeine? Here's a double shot of Bailey's to pour in it when you're ready to take the edge off.

Have a wonderful weekend! Smile

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 21 2017, 7:47pm

Post #4 of 53 (1042 views)
Shortcut
Happy Founders' Day Fiesta to all! [In reply to] Can't Post

Gosh, this week's gone quickly - compounded by being a short one (Easter Monday is a holiday here). I made some good book progress, and reached the *verdict* of the trial at its centre. Now for the long and complex aftermath. :)

Planning a quiet weekend, with the usual catching up. We're starting to have some chilly nights, which is actually quite pleasant. I love having a cool morning to set out in when I go running.

Wishing everyone a pleasant weekend.

The Passing of Mistress Rose
My historical novels

Do we find happiness so often that we should turn it off the box when it happens to sit there?

- A Room With a View

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Apr 21 2017, 8:03pm

Post #5 of 53 (1037 views)
Shortcut
Same to you too, Kimi! [In reply to] Can't Post

Oooooh, sounds like good progress is being made on your book. I imagine it will be some time before it's complete, but keep us posted. Enjoy the weekend and the cool morning runs! Smile

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Apr 21 2017, 9:29pm

Post #6 of 53 (1029 views)
Shortcut
18 years? [In reply to] Can't Post

Crikey, that went quickly! I'll have a hot chocolate to celebrate, good barkeep! (It'll make up for the porridge I couldn't have because a fricking mouse got into my packet of rolled oats.) Unsure

I had an unusual day yesterday. I was at the city's wastewater treatment plant and for the first time I was in the milliscreen building, where thngs that shouldn't be flushed (wet-wipes, sanitary items, food) are removed from the 'stream' to be sent to the landfill. A couple of hours after I got back to the office I realised I had a certain scent about me that shouldn't be there - evidently I had brought a bit of the plant back with me so I went home to shower and change. I've been to the plant many times but this is the first time I've had to decontaminate myself afterward!

A mid-afternoon shower was very nice, though.

Gotta love my job. Smile

Have a great weekend, everyone!

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Apr 21 2017, 9:30pm

Post #7 of 53 (1035 views)
Shortcut
Happy almost Founder's Day! [In reply to] Can't Post

18 years... It' doesn't seem like it was that long ago. Although 18 years isn't as long as it used to be.

I'm spending the next few weeks waiting for an email. After 26 years, I've decided to go back to school. I've applied to a Masters program in Palliative Care. It is something I've wanted to do since my grandma was in hospice care. Fingers crossed I get in.

In the meantime, I raise my glass to the Founders! Salute!

_

Heed WBA when building blanket forts.
ITLs don't get enough FAS. :)

Where there's life there's hope, and need of vittles.
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Apr 21 2017, 9:34pm

Post #8 of 53 (1021 views)
Shortcut
Good luck with your application! / [In reply to] Can't Post

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Annael
Half-elven

Apr 21 2017, 11:55pm

Post #9 of 53 (1012 views)
Shortcut
ooh, I hope you get in! [In reply to] Can't Post

It's a rewarding field; one of my good friends works in it.

I am a dreamer of words, of written words. I think I am reading; a word stops me. I leave the page. The syllables of the words begin to move around Ö The words take on other meanings as if they had the right to be young.

-- Gaston Bachelard

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Annael
Half-elven

Apr 21 2017, 11:57pm

Post #10 of 53 (1014 views)
Shortcut
18 years! [In reply to] Can't Post

amazing!

I'll have a gin & tonic to celebrate that and the fact that THE SUN IS OUT IN SEATTLE. For the first time in six months, it feels like.

Also, I just sent off an application to give a TED talk in Seattle next November. Fingers crossed!

I am a dreamer of words, of written words. I think I am reading; a word stops me. I leave the page. The syllables of the words begin to move around Ö The words take on other meanings as if they had the right to be young.

-- Gaston Bachelard

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Apr 22 2017, 1:05am

Post #11 of 53 (998 views)
Shortcut
Yes. [In reply to] Can't Post

One of the reasons I've wanted to do this was because of the amazing team we had for my grandma. Since then I've volunteered a bit and in my new job I work with hospice families getting them the medications they need. This degree will help me step fully into the role of pharmacist on the team making sure each patient has what they need to be comfortable and give them the most time we can so they can be with their family. That is my goal. I've been waiting a long time for a program like this one to come along.

_

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 22 2017, 1:07am

Post #12 of 53 (993 views)
Shortcut
LOL! [In reply to] Can't Post

It didn't hit me until after I'd posted, that conflict! But a nice dollop of Bailey's is fine anytime.

I still can't believe it's been 10 years for these Boards...do you remember all that work you and BJ (with a little help from some friends) did, in creating these? Asking what we all wanted, then trying to incorporate those wild and crazy suggestions? And then your "hints" that the new Boards were nearly ready...and I've got to say, after a decade they still look lovely. Cool

Thank you sooo much! (Then it was time for a bunch of us to brainstorm and come up with an appropriate "thank-you" gift for you. Angelic)

What a perfect weekend for being outdoors this will be! Enjoy your weekend also, Altaira! Smile

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Apr 22 2017, 1:07am

Post #13 of 53 (994 views)
Shortcut
Thank you! [In reply to] Can't Post

Fingers, toes and eyes crossed (so there's no double crossing) that my errrrrr... unorthodox (?) career catches their attention.

_

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 22 2017, 1:11am

Post #14 of 53 (994 views)
Shortcut
It sounds like [In reply to] Can't Post

your book is coming right along!

There's something about the setting-in of the autumnal chill that makes one want to go outside and partake of it. Just be careful when you step out the door, if you don't keep your feet you never know where you could be swept off to...Wink

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 22 2017, 1:18am

Post #15 of 53 (996 views)
Shortcut
What! A mouse in the oats? [In reply to] Can't Post

Around here, it's usually the tiny white spring moths that manage to creep under the lid and decide the oats or corn meal or rice makes a grand place to spin a cocoon of eggs...Tongue

Ah, eau de refuse. I wonder if the people who work there acquire the scent daily?

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 22 2017, 1:21am

Post #16 of 53 (997 views)
Shortcut
Oh! Best of luck in getting in! [In reply to] Can't Post

Your pharmacy knowledge would be perfect in that field. Fingers, toes, and eyes crossed - let us know when you find out!

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 22 2017, 1:22am

Post #17 of 53 (1002 views)
Shortcut
A TED talk? [In reply to] Can't Post

That would be awesome! What would the focus of the talk be?

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 22 2017, 3:02am

Post #18 of 53 (978 views)
Shortcut
Mouse time. [In reply to] Can't Post

I was just musing the other day that it's the time of year when mice are inclined to find their way indoors, when what should I see but a mouse sitting in the conservatory, staring quite boldly at me. We've now set a bunch of traps.

I especially miss our Sura-cat just now. He was an amazing mouser - he'd honestly move faster than the human eye could follow when he spotted one. He also offered a complete disposal service.

My historical novels

Do we find happiness so often that we should turn it off the box when it happens to sit there?

- A Room With a View

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 22 2017, 3:05am

Post #19 of 53 (979 views)
Shortcut
Fingers crossed for you! [In reply to] Can't Post

What a wonderful field for you to wish to enter.

My historical novels

- A Room With a View

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 22 2017, 3:06am

Post #20 of 53 (974 views)
Shortcut
Fingers crossed for you, too! // [In reply to] Can't Post

My historical novels

- A Room With a View

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Apr 22 2017, 3:06am

Post #21 of 53 (978 views)
Shortcut
I've laid a peanut-butter laden trap for the critter. [In reply to] Can't Post

Still waiting for the *bang* of success.

Ataahua's stories

sherlock
Gondor

Apr 22 2017, 1:43pm

Post #22 of 53 (949 views)
Shortcut
Well I haven't been here for a while [In reply to] Can't Post

My dad passed at the beginning of the month so it's been a tough time for my family.

A couple of months ago I started reading The Hobbit & now I'm finishing up FOTR. Nice to see the discussion in The Reading Room.

Hope everyone is doing well! Happy Weekend all!

Annael
Half-elven

Apr 22 2017, 2:28pm

Post #23 of 53 (945 views)
Shortcut
it's about [In reply to] Can't Post

how we need to stop thinking in "heroic" terms when it comes to politics and social activism, because heroes are all about defeating the enemy, so it's a negative, oppositional, and polarized stance which I think just makes the situation worse and also is really hard on a person; and instead think in terms of how do I personally facilitate the emergence of the changes I want to see in the world by working with, not against, the situation? I call it "Midwifing Change." I've been giving this talk for a year now to local churches and service groups and the response so far has been great, so I'm looking for a wider audience.

-- Gaston Bachelard

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 22 2017, 2:36pm

Post #24 of 53 (936 views)
Shortcut
Oh, sherlock! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm so sorry to hear that! Had he been ill?

My condolences and *hugs* to you and your family! My dad passed on last October, I know how much you all have to be going through right now, with so many emotions and so much to decide and take care of!

sherlock
Gondor

Apr 22 2017, 2:39pm

Post #25 of 53 (939 views)
Shortcut
He was almost 91 [In reply to] Can't Post

and had physical problems for years but it was cancer that got him. Watched my husband die of cancer 7 years ago & then dad. Tough times!

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.