The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
A golden nugget of a sentence in LOTR re Legolas and Gloin

Eruonen
Half-elven

Apr 19 2017, 1:55am

Post #1 of 12 (3676 views)
Shortcut
A golden nugget of a sentence in LOTR re Legolas and Gloin Can't Post

For the LOTR read through, The Council of Elrond, pg 268 has Legolas telling of the escape of Gollum and that the elves had tried to be kind to him to aid in a "cure" of his state.

"You were less tender to me," said Glin with a flash of his eyes, as old memories were stirred of his imprisonment...."

Now, one can possibly infer he was looking at Legolas in remembrance vs just the elves in general. It at least lays a bit of credence to Legolas being around at the time of the dwarves imprisonment and of possible distant interaction.

Maybe this has been discussed before but it just leapt out at me as a valid, if slim reed, for PJ to use.

(This post was edited by Eruonen on Apr 19 2017, 1:55am)

Ettelewen
Rohan

Apr 19 2017, 2:00am

Post #2 of 12 (3640 views)
Shortcut
Oh, good catch! [In reply to] Can't Post

I've never until now placed that connection, but you're absolutely right. And after all of those viewings, too...Smile

Bravo!

Eruonen
Half-elven

Apr 19 2017, 2:19am

Post #3 of 12 (3634 views)
Shortcut
Gloin...not Glin....typing too fast. [In reply to] Can't Post

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Apr 19 2017, 3:30am

Post #4 of 12 (3631 views)
Shortcut
Gloin in Thranduil's Halls [In reply to] Can't Post

The most common interpretation of Gloin's statement is that it refers to the Wood-elves in general. However, it could hint at an untold episode in the story of The Hobbit that involves Legolas. Probably not, but it is at least possible.

"He who lies artistically, treads closer to the truth than ever he knows." -- Favorite proverb of the wizard Ningauble of the Seven Eyes

Eruonen
Half-elven

Apr 19 2017, 3:50am

Post #5 of 12 (3622 views)
Shortcut
Yes, I think he meant in general, however, it does not mean [In reply to] Can't Post

that Legolas was not included in that grouping. Gloin was answering Legolas directly so the "you" is probably inclusive. He did not state "your father" did not treat me as kind or "The King" etc. As you note, it is just enough interpretive leeway to make the scenes with Legolas among the imprisoned dwarves at least feasible. Many of us assumed Legolas was there anyway being the Prince of the realm and alive during this period.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Apr 19 2017, 4:05am

Post #6 of 12 (3621 views)
Shortcut
Legolas and The Hobbit [In reply to] Can't Post

Personally, I've just assumed that Legolas was off on a hunting trip or a long patrol and simply missed out on the events of the Quest of Erebor. Alternately, he might have been left in Thorin's Halls to act as his father's steward when the Wood-elves set off for the Mountain.

"He who lies artistically, treads closer to the truth than ever he knows." -- Favorite proverb of the wizard Ningauble of the Seven Eyes

dormouse
Half-elven

Apr 19 2017, 7:35am

Post #7 of 12 (3596 views)
Shortcut
Good one! [In reply to] Can't Post

For all we know - and I don't know, of course, and wouldn't claim to - Tolkien himself may have slipped this in as a subtle way of linking Legolas back to the earlier story. He must have been aware that by making his new elf the son of Thranduil he was inviting the question 'where was Legolas when Bilbo and the dwarves were in Mirkwood?' And there does seem to be a personal grudge between Gimli and Legolas in the early stages of the journey which makes their later friendship all the more striking.

I like it, Eruonen.

For still there are so many things
that I have never seen:
in every wood and every spring
there is a different green. . .

Hamfast Gamgee
Tol Eressea

Apr 19 2017, 8:26am

Post #8 of 12 (3592 views)
Shortcut
I always thought that Legolas was in the Hobbit [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, after I appreciated who Legolas was anyway. In fact, I believe that in the Hobbit he is described or at least the Elven-King's Princes are mentioned at the Elves feast seen by Bilbo. He just wasn't named in person.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Apr 19 2017, 1:15pm

Post #9 of 12 (3576 views)
Shortcut
Not officially. [In reply to] Can't Post

Keep in mind that Tolkien had not even conceived of the character of Legolas when he wrote The Hobbit. The book makes no mention of Woodland Princes or any offspring at all for the Elvenking. Nor is there any mention of a Woodland Queen, living or otherwise.

The best that we can do is guess as to the whereabouts of Legolas during the Quest of Erebor. It's possible that he might have been present at the Battle of Five Armies and Bilbo simply never found out about him, though I suspect that if Legolas had been present in Thranduil's Halls at the time when the company was imprisoned within them, Bilbo should have learned something about him. That's why I think he might have been away at the time.

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Apr 19 2017, 6:51pm

Post #10 of 12 (3539 views)
Shortcut
I assume you mean Thranduil, not Thorin [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Personally, I've just assumed that Legolas was off on a hunting trip or a long patrol and simply missed out on the events of the Quest of Erebor. Alternately, he might have been left in Thorin's Halls to act as his father's steward when the Wood-elves set off for the Mountain.

I'd say I've entered my second childhood, but I never left the first!

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Apr 19 2017, 8:51pm

Post #11 of 12 (3526 views)
Shortcut
Yes! Thranduil! [In reply to] Can't Post

I could have sworn that I'd typed 'Thrianduil's Halls". Thanks for the catch!

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Apr 26 2017, 3:29pm

Post #12 of 12 (3231 views)
Shortcut
Oh, very nice! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.