UBCon: Apri 28-30, 2017

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Apr 13 2017, 8:08pm

Post #1 of 11 (10579 views)
Shortcut
UBCon: Apri 28-30, 2017 Can't Post

User barefoottourguide (a.k.a. Garrett) posts:

Proud to announce I'll be running The One Ring at UBCon in Buffalo Saturday April 29th. I'm finishing up my original module "Last Call at the Easterly Inn." Hope to see some of you at the table.
Garrett

UBCon 2017 is being held from April 28 to April 30 at the University of Buffalo North Campus.Information on events, attendance, tickets and pre-registration can be found here: https://www.facebook.com/UBCon/.

"He who lies artistically, treads closer to the truth than ever he knows." -- Favorite proverb of the wizard Ningauble of the Seven Eyes

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Apr 28 2017, 3:42pm

Post #2 of 11 (9713 views)
Shortcut
UBCon Day One [In reply to] Can't Post

The con starts today (Friday) and Garrett's game is set for tomorrow. No one seems to be running a session of Adventures in Middle-earth, the setting for D&D 5e, but the Loremaster's Guide has only just started shipping in the U.S.; maybe things will be different for Queen City Conquest in September.

"He who lies artistically, treads closer to the truth than ever he knows." -- Favorite proverb of the wizard Ningauble of the Seven Eyes

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

May 1 2017, 8:56pm

Post #3 of 11 (9488 views)
Shortcut
After Report [In reply to] Can't Post

Garrett Crowe as usual ran an enjoyable session of The One Ring. It's a shame that he had to turn away several would-be participants because his table was full. However, if he could have accommodated everyone who desired to join in, he might have ended up with more players than he could have comfortably handled! In any case, some of those persons poked their heads in well after the start of the game and might have been a bit hard to work in at that point.

The scenario worked well as a one-shot, but the conclusion might feel a little forced (as written) in the context of a larger campaign. On the other hand, I think that events might play out differently for a more experienced band. Garrett took the relative inexperience of this group of Heroes and players into account. I have to say that I think this is the first time that I've ever seen a PC attempt to pet a giant spider. A personal wish might be for a bit more agency to affect certain events within the adventure, though that has the potential to alter certain events described in The Darkening of Mirkwood.

For myself, I think that next time I sit in in such a game, I might try to choose a more sober character. When I play a Hobbit, I think I might get a bit over-enthusiastic!

Garrett ran two other sessions that I attended: Call of Cthulhu, "Blackwater Creek" on Friday evening; and, Star Wars Rebels, "Detonate" on Saturday afternoon. Both were a blast. My character perished at the end of the CoC game, but only after we defeated the main threat that might have otherwise enslaved and destroyed or mutated humanity.

On a different note, my lovely wife Tayna took third place at the Cosplay Contest with her chocobo costurme. She also wore two floor-costumes during the con: Friday was Flutterbat (My Little Pony Fluttershy in a (somewhat) vampiric form); on Saturday she was another MLP, Shining Armor. I'm just having problems finding any pics on line to include here.

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on May 1 2017, 8:57pm)

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

May 2 2017, 1:37pm

Post #4 of 11 (9424 views)
Shortcut
Convention Photos [In reply to] Can't Post

Lovely wife Tayna in chocobo costume (wark!):

Tayna as Shining Armor:

Tayna as Flutterbat:

Pictures removed - too large :(

(This post was edited by entmaiden on May 4 2017, 5:43pm)

Loresilme
Valinor

May 3 2017, 8:42pm

Post #5 of 11 (9323 views)
Shortcut
Congrats to lovely wifey! [In reply to] Can't Post

Great costuming job. Was she able to stay cool in the chocobo costume? I know some outfits can get uncomfortably warm BlushSmile.

Congrats to her!

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

May 3 2017, 11:03pm

Post #6 of 11 (9317 views)
Shortcut
Oh, the costume was warm! [In reply to] Can't Post

Tayna did not wear the outfit as a floor costume. However, she reports that the real problem is that she did not seal the eye-lenses and they had a tendency to fog up on her! None of the photos I've found on line show the back-end and the effort she put in to the tail section.

I've passed on your compliment and she shares her thanks!

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 4 2017, 5:43pm

Post #7 of 11 (9264 views)
Shortcut
So sorry - the pictures are too large [In reply to] Can't Post

Here's the requirements from our FAQ:

The specific guidelines for posting pictures within the message body of your post are as follows: the maximum size of any picture posted should be 525 wide x 400 pixels high (or a better measure is: 210,000 pixels squared - width x height), but no wider than 670 pixels. The maximum file size per picture should be 45k. The cumulative file size of all pictures in one post should not exceed 225k (5 pictures of the maximum filesize of 45k, 10 pictures of a filesize of 22.5k, etc.). These guidelnes apply to pictures hosted on other sites as well as to pictures posted as attachments to your post. For more detailed help on posting within a message body, check out Magpie's step-by-step TORn Image Posting Guide.

You can re-size and post them as a reply.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

May 4 2017, 6:49pm

Post #8 of 11 (9256 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, that figures. [In reply to] Can't Post

Naturally they didn't look that large on social media and they reproduced a bit smaller than this on a different site.

Tayna in chocobo costume: https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/...840ef338&oe=597405D1

Tayna as Shining Armor: https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/...e28d0184&oe=59BB8582

Tayna as Flutterbat: https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/...d83c2b6c&oe=5976FB07

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on May 4 2017, 6:53pm)

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 5 2017, 2:41pm

Post #9 of 11 (9159 views)
Shortcut
The pictures are great - thanks for sharing them with us// [In reply to] Can't Post

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

May 5 2017, 3:39pm

Post #10 of 11 (9156 views)
Shortcut
Your welcome! [In reply to] Can't Post

I know that Garrett also took some photos during our TOR game session. If I find them maybe I can post one or two.

Loresilme
Valinor

May 6 2017, 11:06am

Post #11 of 11 (9072 views)
Shortcut
I'll bet! [In reply to] Can't Post

I understand they do get warm. I have a friend who has a Star Wars armor costume and he had to build a small battery powered fan into the inside of it.

I hope Tanya hits on a solution for the eye fog!

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.