Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
TORn's History Mathom-house - going offline in early May

Magpie
Immortal

Apr 11 2017, 1:17am

Post #1 of 8 (935 views)
Shortcut
TORn's History Mathom-house - going offline in early May Can't Post

Hi folks. Some of you may have caught the announcement elsewhere that I'm taking my soundtrack site, A Magpie's Nest, offline in early May (when my hosting service is up for renewal).

Sadly, this will impact TORn's History Mathom-house and a few other things I have hosted for TORn over the years.

Documenting the history of TheOneRing.net was a dream of our TORn-sib weaver. A Steering Committee* was formed to discuss and plan the development and debut of the project. Our first task was to discuss Why TORn Matters. Then we sought to identify the Project's Purpose: "What purpose would a history of TORn serve?" and "Who would our target audience be?" With that in mind, we brainstormed a list of Suggested Topics that could be explored and covered.

Upon getting a good sense of the project's purpose and goals, we developed a Mission Statement and decided on a name: The TORn Mathom-house.

*Steering Committe members: Magpie, weaver, Altaira, Rosie-with-the-Ribbons, OhioHobbit, Earl, grammaboodawg, Peredhil lover, and dernwyn.

Once in place, lots of members of TORn's message boards contributed in various ways. It would take a long time to thank everyone who contributed.

It was always going to be a work in progress and I never worried about what wasn't done but, instead, was pleased with each new bit that did get done. To get a sense of the scope of the project and maybe visit some of the articles, start here:
http://mathom-house.net/index.php/Main/SiteMap

MOST IMPORTANT TO MEMBERS HERE:
Peredhil lover worked tirelessly to collect links to many of our periodic threads and I hosted them on the wiki. If anyone wants those links, they should get them now.
Start here: http://mathom-house.net/...LinksCollectionIndex

To Save:
open a page of links [for example: Bilbo's Brainteasers]
right click somewhere on the page
Find and click 'Save As' in the context menu
A download window will pop up
I suggest you choose: 'save as type: Webpage, HTML Only'
shorten File name (see example below)
click 'Save'

File Name:
The default File name might look like this:
TORn Mathom-house - Main - Bilbo's Brainteasers _ Collected Links.html

I suggest you shorten it to:
Bilbo's Brainteasers

Save as type:
Webpage, HTML Only : saves only the page and none of the images. The page won't look right when my site goes offline but the links should work correctly

Webpage, Complete : will save a folder of images for the page. It will look nicer when my site goes offline but you'll have a folder for each page. That could be a lot.

IF THERE ARE ANY OTHER ARTICLES/PAGES YOU WANT TO SAVE:
...follow the same procedure. Any link that leads to another wiki page will not work when my site goes offline. The content of the article/page should be intact and links that lead to another website will work.

COPY OF THE COMPLETE WIKI
Want the entire wiki as a set? I'm working on it. It's runs on PHP and I'll need some help figuring out how to run it when the site is sitting on someone's computer rather than on my server. I think I'll get it figured out. Email me if you're interested in a copy when I do figure it out.

However, I can't promise I'll get it figured out. PLEASE... if this stuff is important to you, save it off yourself as individual html pages from the web.

It was hard to decide to discontinue hosting my soundtrack website online. Losing the history wiki in the process was just as hard. I knew it would never be 'done' in terms of complete. But I never thought of it being done in terms of 'no more'.

To all who helped over the years, thank you from the bottom of my heart. I'm sorry I couldn't keep it going.

more on a few other matters in the next few days.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Magpie
Immortal

Apr 11 2017, 1:25am

Post #2 of 8 (889 views)
Shortcut
TORn Image Posting Guide [In reply to] Can't Post

I like helping people and back when the boards were young, lots of us needed help figuring out how to post images. After writing the same thing over and over on Feedback for various folks, I decided to codify the help info into webpages. Links to that help guide have been posted in many places on the message boards and some of you might have it bookmarked.

That will go offline in early May. I've given the pages to Altaira in case she can make use of them but I'm not sure whether she can make them work for her or whether my help pages will be replaced by other versions down the line.

I can give a bundle of these pages to anyone who would like a copy on their own computer. Email me if you want a copy.

Magpie
Immortal

Apr 11 2017, 1:36am

Post #3 of 8 (888 views)
Shortcut
Various footer, etc. images [In reply to] Can't Post

For various events, I've hosted footer images and other sundry images used in posts, etc. When my site goes offline, those images will disappear from posts here.

This can only serve as an apology since there's nothing that can be done for it.

I think the most recent images I hosted on my site were the Hobbit Reading Day footers and avatars I created. Links to the photos if anyone is interested.

footers: https://goo.gl/...os/mptXfGoSZyp8Nxot7

avatars: https://goo.gl/...os/Q8qgy72he86b5q5t7
These avatars look like crap in Google Photos because they're designed to be 100x100 and Google is enlarging them. They'll look fine as avatars if you want to use them.

NottaSackville
Tol Eressea

Apr 11 2017, 11:30am

Post #4 of 8 (863 views)
Shortcut
Sorry to hear it, Magpie [In reply to] Can't Post

But I totally understand your decision, and thanks for all the work you put into that (and TORN)!

Happiness: money matters, but less than we think and not in the way that we think. Family is important and so are friends, while envy is toxic -- and so is excessive thinking. Beaches are optional. Trust is not. Neither is gratitude. - The Geography of Bliss by Eric Weiner as summarized by Lily Fairbairn. And a bit of the Hobbit reading thrown in never hurts. - NottaSackville

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Apr 11 2017, 2:17pm

Post #5 of 8 (850 views)
Shortcut
Yes, what he said [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you so much for all your hard work, and all the best to you in the future.

Where now the horse and the rider? Where is the horn that was blowing?
Where is the helm and the hauberk, and the bright hair flowing?
Where is the hand on the harpstring, and the red fire glowing?
Where is the spring and the harvest and the tall corn growing?
They have passed like rain on the mountain, like a wind in the meadow;
The days have gone down in the West behind the hills into shadow....

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Apr 12 2017, 10:12pm

Post #6 of 8 (807 views)
Shortcut
The Wayback Machine has archived at least parts of your sites. [In reply to] Can't Post

The TORn Mathom-house here and A Magpie's Nest here. Click on a date to see what the Wayback Machine had archived at that point.

I haven't dug in to see how many of your links (from either site) that internet archive preserves. Often one can only go so deep into the archived copy. I will note that actual pages from TORN's forums are not preserved in the Wayback Machine, because TORN isn't set up to allow the archive's robots to collect material here.

(And who knows how long the archive itself will survive?)

Thanks for the heads-up, and best wishes for whatever comes next.

There are four lights.

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
Discuss Tolkien's life and works in the Reading Room!
+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=
How to find old Reading Room discussions.

Magpie
Immortal

Apr 13 2017, 10:31pm

Post #7 of 8 (762 views)
Shortcut
Their captures of the soundtrack portion are sketchy [In reply to] Can't Post

Stuff is there but not in a any usable way. I made an announcement on LOTR movie board that I have an archived bundle folks can request from me.

I use the Wayback Machine to piece together stuff no longer accessible (with fair to good results) but I wouldn't count on it to have any information one specifically wanted from the Mathom-house. Finding it would be serendipitous at best.

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 3 2017, 2:36am

Post #8 of 8 (557 views)
Shortcut
I wish... [In reply to] Can't Post

...there were some way to preserve this...it's so sad, it feels like the end of an era...

I've been browsing through the site, Magpie, and there's so much love and work that many put into it! You especially, this and the music site, there's so much that has gone into these. I wish I knew how to just pick them all up and transport them somewhere.

But this is what Frodo and Sam knew: the great stories go on, but the people in them come, and go when their part's ended. Life is like that, isn't it.

I wanted to thank you from the depths of my heart for all that you have done. What a labor of love! I know many of us will be always grateful to you. Thank you. Heart

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.