Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Two years ago this day...

Simon L. de Paiva
Bree

Apr 10 2017, 4:49pm

Post #1 of 12 (1170 views)
Shortcut
Two years ago this day... Can't Post

...The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King Live to projection premiered in New York at Lincoln Center, as part of the LOTR in Concert performances. And I was there! The entire trilogy was shown twice, in two cycles, Wed-Fri and Sat-Sun, I attended the first cycle. Duo to an unexpected fever and the beginnings of a cold, I couldn't attend TTT performance ( It still bothers me to this day) but, fortunately I was able to attend both "Fellowship" and ROTK. Experiencing ROTK for the first time in December 2003, was not only one of the happiest, but one of the most important days in my life ( so far!), since then, life without Middle-earth in my heart and mind is something unimaginable to meHeart. Revisiting the films, particularly the third installment on a big screen, with a live orchestra, which heightened the immersion, was an unforgettable experience for me as a lover of the films and scores. I tried to attach a photo of that night below, but I don't know if it's going to appear on my post. Anyway, I just felt like sharing this two year anniversary with fellow fans. Just out of curiosity, is there anyone here who attended any of those performances in 2015? Or anyone who has experience with "LOTR in concert" performances in the U.S. or around the globe?

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 10 2017, 11:18pm

Post #2 of 12 (1106 views)
Shortcut
I was NYC in 2015 [In reply to] Can't Post

for ROTK as well as the FOTR and TTT concerts in previous years at Radio City Music Hall. Great fun at all three!

cats16
Valinor

Apr 12 2017, 5:45am

Post #3 of 12 (1036 views)
Shortcut
I attended at Ravinia in Chicago [In reply to] Can't Post

I saw TTT live in concert there. I think it was...2013 or 2014. Would have loved to see the entire trilogy in that format, but I'm happy to have experienced it once. I loved picking out the little nuances of the music which were so beautifully reproduced (with very slight variations here and there).

Join us every weekend in the Hobbit movie forum for this week's CHOW (Chapter of the Week) discussion!

(This post was edited by cats16 on Apr 12 2017, 5:46am)

Simon L. de Paiva
Bree

Apr 12 2017, 6:20pm

Post #4 of 12 (995 views)
Shortcut
I've heard great things about Ravinia. [In reply to] Can't Post

I recently found out that the entire trilogy will be shown this next August, at Ravinia. I wish I could attend, but I won't be able to this time around, I'll just keep my fingers crossed that the concerts will return to NY anytime soon. I also noticed some of the nuances you mentioned, I particularly loved when the music was played louder than it was meant to, the sound effects and the dialogue were subdued by it ( hence the subtitles), the music took center stage. "A Knife in the Dark' ( featuring the Nature's reclamation theme) and The Mines of Moria music "The Bridge of Khazad Dum" in FOTR and The Lightening of the Beacons in ROTK were musical highlights for me, absolutely thrilling. I also loved how Soprano Kaitlyn Lusk performed the last moments of "The Bridge of Khazad Dum" and the Renée Fleming segments in ROTK "Twilight and Shadow' and "The End of All Things". It was breathtaking! Thanks for replying.

Simon L. de Paiva
Bree

Apr 12 2017, 6:24pm

Post #5 of 12 (994 views)
Shortcut
Thanks as well to entmaiden for replying! [In reply to] Can't Post

Imladris18
Lorien

Apr 12 2017, 7:33pm

Post #6 of 12 (986 views)
Shortcut
I saw FotR in Philadelphia in 2015 I believe. [In reply to] Can't Post

And it was incredible. Hoping to see TTT and RotK when they come within a reasonable distance to Ohio Laugh

Simon L. de Paiva
Bree

Apr 13 2017, 2:33am

Post #7 of 12 (966 views)
Shortcut
There is a performance or ROTK scheduled for June of this year... [In reply to] Can't Post

...At the Mann Center in Philadelphia, where I'm guessing you attended two years ago. I almost went to that FOTR concert, but I had watched FOTR and ROTK at Lincoln Center in April of that same year, so I ended up not going. I also missed on the opportunity of watching TTT there last year, which was a pity, that is the only film in the trilogy I haven't yet experienced with the live orchestra. My sister went to some of her rock concerts at the Mann, she told me the place has a great atmosphere.

Last year, also in Philadelphia ( if I'm not mistaken), at a different venue, there was the world premiere of "The Music of Howard Shore" featuring many of his scores "outside' of Middle-earth, like "The Aviator" and "Hugo'. (both of which are favorites of mine) Also, this concert marked the first time ever some of the music of "The Hobbit' scores were performed live. I wonder what tracks were selected, I can only hope "Dreaming of Bag End' and "Beyond the Forest' from the first two scores were not left out, they are simply wonderful.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Apr 13 2017, 11:52am

Post #8 of 12 (945 views)
Shortcut
*hand shoots up* :D [In reply to] Can't Post

I couldn't believe how powerful it was to have the live symphony orchestra performing the music as the film played... so wonderful!

I was at Radio City Music Hall on 10/10/09 for the Fellowship of the Ring concert/Film; and again on 10/9/10 for the Two Towers Concert/Film; but on 2/17/12 I saw the Return of the King Concert/Film performance at the DeVos Performance Hall in Grand Rapids, Michigan.

I can still feel what it was like to be there and how stirring it was! I agree with you. Seeing these films this way were some of the happiest times of my life :D

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observations List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observations List - May 15, 2014

5th draft of TH:BotFA Geeky Observations List - January 30, 2015

TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

(This post was edited by grammaboodawg on Apr 13 2017, 11:54am)

Imladris18
Lorien

Apr 13 2017, 1:55pm

Post #9 of 12 (931 views)
Shortcut
Yep! [In reply to] Can't Post

I wanted to make TTT last year, but unfortunately life got in the way. I'll have to look into the date of RotK and see if I can hopefully make that - it is quite a bit of a drive to Philly.

I also went to that "The Music of Howard Shore" last year in Pittsburgh, and it was incredible. They didn't perform individual Hobbit tracks; Howard put together a couple "movements" that blended together many of the songs in a better format for a symphony. If I remember correctly, portions of both "Dreaming of Bag End" and "Beyond the Forest" were included. The finale of the whole performance was a few LotR songs including "The Lighting of the Beacons." I'll have to find my program from the show.

We were also able to meet him after the show, get autographs, and take pictures with him, which was amazing.

Simon L. de Paiva
Bree

Apr 13 2017, 5:57pm

Post #10 of 12 (914 views)
Shortcut
Hi Gramma! :-) [In reply to] Can't Post

So awesome that you got to experience all three films with the live orchestra! You know, a while back, I think it was last year, I was going through the message boards and I found a thread posing the question: "What does Middle-earth mean to you?", And I was going through the answers and one stood up in particular to me. I don't remember who wrote it or what were his/hers exact words, but it was something along these lines: "to me, Middle-earth is a beacon of light in a world that doesn't make much sense". Again, I'm not quoting with complete accuracy, but that was more or less what this person said, and it clicked with me, because I feel the same exact way. Every once and a while my sisters say to me " There you go again with your LOTR stuff'" or "this is almost like a religion to you" they say in their silly way, and I think to myself, they are miles away from understanding what Middle-earth truly is, how this world is alive, and what does it mean to me as a fan. ( and to countless others)

Every time I connect with this universe, by reading the books or re-reading certain passages, or listening to the scores on my iPod, or doing a marathon of the films at home, or on a big screen, even watching segments of the DVD/blu-ray special features. It's like I am given access to a region in my own heart and soul, a part of me I wouldn't have access to otherwise, if not through Middle-earth. And as much as I adore the books, the films and scores give me a much more visceral, immersive, emotional and profound experience,( that's just me being subjective, of course) and every time I connect with them, it's something of immense value to me. And to experience the films and music with a live orchestra and chorus, in a place like Lincoln Center ( which essentially became Middle-earth in those nights, I felt like I was at Minas TirithSmile), it was a huge celebration of my love of the films and scores, a milestone in my life as a fan, and a couple of unforgettable nights. And I'm sure many people here ( not to say everybody) you, especially, understand exactly how I feel, that's why it's great for me to be here. Sorry for the long post, I got a little carried away.Laugh

(This post was edited by Simon L. de Paiva on Apr 13 2017, 5:58pm)

Simon L. de Paiva
Bree

Apr 13 2017, 6:18pm

Post #11 of 12 (908 views)
Shortcut
Awesome! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm sure it was an amazing concert. And yes, I know what you mean, on 04/10/15 after the ROTK concert, both Howard Shore and Doug Adams were signing autographs. So, I got in this huge line at David H. Koch Theater, and behind me on the line, there were two fans. I ended up chatting with both of them for the entire time I was on the line, some 20 to 30 minutes, or a little less, I'm not sure. They were lovely people! One of them took a picture of me with Howard Shore, right after he signed my LOTR symphony CD. It was great ! But not as precious as connecting with the films.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Apr 14 2017, 2:13am

Post #12 of 12 (886 views)
Shortcut
Oh.... it's easy to get carried away ;) [In reply to] Can't Post

And when I've encountered people who think I'm a bit over-the-top in my love of all things Tolkien... I respond, "Only to excess!" ;)

I also wonder if they have anything in their lives that makes them bouncy-happy! Tolkien has changed my life since I discovered him in 1971. And I plan on continuing that relationship for many more years!

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observations List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observations List - May 15, 2014

5th draft of TH:BotFA Geeky Observations List - January 30, 2015

TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.