The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of The Rings:
A Magpie's Nest : LOTR Soundtrack website - end of an era

Magpie
Immortal

Apr 4 2017, 1:13am

Post #1 of 10 (4999 views)
Shortcut
A Magpie's Nest : LOTR Soundtrack website - end of an era Can't Post

I wanted to let folks know that I have decided that my LOTR soundtrack website (known as A Magpie's Nest) will come down off the web in early May when my hosting service is up for renewal.

My decision was influenced by many factors, some which really aren't surmountable. I'm touched by many emails I've received so far that have thanked me and encouraged me to, perhaps, find a way to continue keeping it on the web. But, after pondering this for a very long time, I had to make a clean break of it and decide there was no second guessing the matter.

I have, however, created an archived version of the website that can downloaded onto one's computer and accessed (pretty much) offline. If anyone is interested in that, they should get ahold of me for more information, preferably by email. (see my TORn message board profile page or my website for the address)

This decision will impact a few things for the message boards here but I'll discuss those soon in a post on Main.

Some of you might have read what I've written about endings on my website. Life on the running stream is exciting in terms of new adventures but one will leave much behind, as well. For all the sadness I feel at leaving this stage of my life behind, I have happy memories of many friends, events, and adventures I've had along the way. I like memories.

My schedule doesn't allow me as much time on the computer as it once did. So it may be a few days (or more) before I can respond to any questions or comments. But feel free to email me or post them here and I'll try to check back to answer them.

cheers,
Magpie

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Darkstone
Immortal

Apr 4 2017, 4:09am

Post #2 of 10 (4939 views)
Shortcut
Well this is sad. [In reply to] Can't Post

Pie is an absolute good.

Magpies are a magnitude absoluter and gooder.

Best of luck!

You will be missed.

Boromir: "One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume. Not with ten thousand men could you do this.”

Gandalf: “Well, Sauron doesn't consider a nine-member fellowship to be any threat, or they'd have a tighter defense. An analysis of the plans provided by Lord Elrond has demonstrated a weakness in the Dark Land. But the approach will not be easy. You are required to pass over the mountains of Mordor and cross the plateau of Gorgoroth to this point. It's a small thermal exhaust port, right below the main port. The Cracks of Doom lead directly to the reactor system. A precise hit will start a chain reaction which should destroy Barad-dûr."

Merry: "I’ve got a bad feeling about this."

Pippin’s stomach: "Growwwl!!!”

CuriousG
Half-elven

Apr 4 2017, 11:40am

Post #3 of 10 (4907 views)
Shortcut
Nice to see you, Magpie [In reply to] Can't Post

And I hope your new adventures are going well.

jlj93byu
Rivendell

Apr 4 2017, 4:13pm

Post #4 of 10 (4887 views)
Shortcut
Much gratitude! [In reply to] Can't Post

THANK YOU for all your efforts and time over the years that you dedicated to your site. I spent many hours there when my love of the music hit full throttle when the Complete Recordings were released. It was a gem of a site.

I have PM'd you about getting access to the archived version of the site you mentioned.

Thank you again!

dormouse
Half-elven

Apr 5 2017, 1:21pm

Post #5 of 10 (4817 views)
Shortcut
Dear Magpie.... [In reply to] Can't Post

As one who came late(ish) to the site, after the longstanding friendships were formed and much of the adventure was past, I came to recognise the Magpie as one whose approval was worth having and whose - not disapproval: dissention, maybe - was worth thinking about. And I've looked out for your posts over the years and, more recently, missed them. And not being musical - on the art and doll-making side we have more things in common - I've enjoyed your site as a resource. But not often enough.

The stream flows so fast and there's never enough time. I hope the new adventures are good ones.

Good luck, and thanks!

For still there are so many things
that I have never seen:
in every wood and every spring
there is a different green. . .

FarFromHome
Valinor

Apr 5 2017, 1:43pm

Post #6 of 10 (4811 views)
Shortcut
The road goes ever on... [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you for everything, Magpie. The wonderful contributions you have made to my (and I'm sure many other people's) appreciation of the LotR music will never be forgotten. It does indeed feel like the end of an era. But it's good to move on when you know that the time has come.

Wishing you every success in all your new adventures!

Evil

They went in, and Sam shut the door.
But even as he did so, he heard suddenly,
deep and unstilled,
the sigh and murmur of the Sea upon the shores of Middle-earth.
From the unpublished Epilogue to the Lord of the Rings

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Apr 10 2017, 3:06am

Post #7 of 10 (4678 views)
Shortcut
*warm hug... many bows* [In reply to] Can't Post

You have created such a beautiful and unique collection, Magpie. I know you spent hundreds of hours working on this... and it shows. It's a powerfully detailed work. Thank you so much for all of your devotion and hard work. You are a treasure :D

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observations List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observations List - May 15, 2014

5th draft of TH:BotFA Geeky Observations List - January 30, 2015

TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

Magpie
Immortal

Apr 11 2017, 12:39am

Post #8 of 10 (4627 views)
Shortcut
Thanks, everyone. :-) // [In reply to] Can't Post

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Darkstone
Immortal

Apr 11 2017, 2:34am

Post #9 of 10 (4629 views)
Shortcut
Thank *you*. [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you for sharing your knowledge and wisdom with us.

Boromir: "One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume. Not with ten thousand men could you do this.”

Gandalf: “Well, Sauron doesn't consider a nine-member fellowship to be any threat, or they'd have a tighter defense. An analysis of the plans provided by Lord Elrond has demonstrated a weakness in the Dark Land. But the approach will not be easy. You are required to pass over the mountains of Mordor and cross the plateau of Gorgoroth to this point. It's a small thermal exhaust port, right below the main port. The Cracks of Doom lead directly to the reactor system. A precise hit will start a chain reaction which should destroy Barad-dûr."

TheHutt
Gondor

Apr 27 2017, 8:07am

Post #10 of 10 (4314 views)
Shortcut
Thank you very much... [In reply to] Can't Post

..for an informative website!

I would be happy to have a browseable local copy for download.

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Booklet - Custom Booklet Project

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.