The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Re: Fili & Kili's final battle costume

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Apr 3 2017, 3:40am

Post #1 of 2 (2234 views)
Shortcut
Re: Fili & Kili's final battle costume Can't Post

So I'm writing yet another fanfic (inspired by LionofErebor), and I've got a question about those leather coats the brothers & Thorin were wearing in that final battle scene - see below:

Notice that Kili has chainmail running down the front of his coat, while Thorin has the full hauberk underneath his. But Fili? His chainmail appears to be limited to his epaulets. I suppose it's possible that he also had a hauberk on under his coat, same as Thorin, but I never see any sign of that.

No, I'm not seeing any sign of one. Which makes me wonder why Fili is so under-protected? I realize this is probably just a stylistic difference between the three costumes, but it does make me wonder which of them is better protected? Poor Fili, I don't think it's him, but what does anyone else think? Is there someone out there more familiar with medieval warfare that can offer an opinion? This info could help me with my fanfic, thanks!

I'd say I've entered my second childhood, but I never left the first!

Lissuin
Valinor

Apr 3 2017, 12:06pm

Post #2 of 2 (2205 views)
Shortcut
Some explanation from the costumers. [In reply to] Can't Post

The Hobbit BOFA Chronicles: The Art of War, pages 176-177 and
The Hobbit BOFA Chronicles: Art and Design, page 166
have some info.

I sent you a pm too. Smile
Cheerio.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.