Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
TORn Walk to Rivendell - and Beyond! REBOOT

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Mar 28 2017, 2:11pm

Post #1 of 21 (3010 views)
Shortcut
TORn Walk to Rivendell - and Beyond! REBOOT Can't Post

Greetings Fellow TORn Walkers!

Remember when we would Walk to Rivendell and then everywhere Bilbo and the Dwarves (The Company) and The Fellowship would travel? It's been a long time since we shared our adventures; so, Fellow TORn Walkers, it's time to get on the Road again!

In this phase of our Walker evolution, each of us will keep track of our own progress and apply it to the Eowyn Challenge chart/journey of your choosing [listed below]. So when you share your progress, you could post something like this:

My progress:
Miles covered this week: 11
Cumulative miles: 1,000,011
Goal: Bag End to Rivendell

If you were already on the Road when our hiatus began, feel free to pick up where you left off. I'm posting this a bit early so you have time to prepare for Thursday's official start.

Sadly, it looks like some of the links to the Eowyn Challenge site are not accessible, but the charts still work and are a great way to feel connected to Tolkien's characters as we tramp with them across Middle-earth.

The TORn Walk to Rivendell - and Beyond! thread can be found every Thursday right here on Main. I'll add to the thread each week until the collection drops off the page... then I'll start a new thread. Just like we do for Fiesta Friday and TIME/BS.

So fill your pockets with apples and lembas... grab your favourite walking stick... don't forget your pocket-handkerchief... and I'll see you on the Road!!! :D

Resources:
· Walk to Rivendell/The Eowyn Challenge Site: Useful links, including mileage charts compiled by the late Karen Wynn Fonstad, are on the Tools page.
· Notta's Super-Duper Walking-Equivalents Chart: Every activity or exercise conversion you could hope for!!
· grammaboodawg's site: Includes helpful activity conversion charts, mileages for Bilbo's Hobbity journey home, and the Walk to Rivendell's TORn-up Postcards

Eowyn Challenge Site Charts

THE LORD OF THE RINGS:
· Bag End to Rivendell
· Rivendell to Lorien
· Lorien to Rauros
· Rauros to Isengard - Merry and Pippin’s Path
· Rauros to Isengard - Aragorn’s Path
· Isengard to Minas Tirith - Gandalf and Pippin’s Path
· Isengard to Minas Tirith - Aragorn’s Path
· Isengard to Minas Tirith - Merry’s Path
· Rauros to Mount Doom - Frodo and Sam’s Path
· Minas Tirith to Morannon
· Morannon to Minas Tirith - The Return
· The Road Home: Minas Tirith to Isengard
· The Road Home: Isengard to Rivendell
· The Road Home: Rivendell to Bag End
· Bag End to the Grey Havens

THE HOBBIT:
· Bag End to Rivendell
· Rivendell to Lonely Mountain

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observations List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observations List - May 15, 2014

5th draft of TH:BotFA Geeky Observations List - January 30, 2015

TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

(This post was edited by grammaboodawg on Mar 28 2017, 2:12pm)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Mar 28 2017, 2:18pm

Post #2 of 21 (3005 views)
Shortcut
For Newbies and the Curious - an explanatory note: [In reply to] Can't Post

In 2003, a LotR-themed fitness website called The Éowyn Challenge was created based on (and supported by) Karen Wynn Fonstad's book, The Atlas of Middle-earth. Her book is jam-packed with detailed maps she created based on the stories of The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit and includes extensive information on each of the journeys by The Fellowship and The Company. For the Éowyn Challenge website, Ms Fonstad created 20 charts with day-by-day, mile-by-mile progress of Tolkien's characters based on the maps in her book. We use these charts to log our own mileage as we join them in their travels through Middle-earth. The charts can be cut/paste to help you track your progress.

The idea is to pick any chart you'd like to travel and keep track of your mileage as you walk or perform other activities (see conversion charts below) and apply your effort to those charts. Soon you will find you've travelled the 458 miles to Rivendell, then the 462 miles to Lothlorien... and so on until you finally reach the Grey Havens.

A great way to start is to copy/paste the Bag End to Rivendell chart from the Éowyn Challenge website, then start your journey by walking, exercise, biking, yard work, house cleaning... any way that keeps you on the road. The best part of our Walk to Rivendell is that there are no rules of how to achieve your goals. Just have fun and keep going until you fulfill your own personal Quests. If you have a break and get delayed, just pick up where you left off and keep on going! There's no way to fail :)

The website for the Walk explains things more clearly; please check out the The Éowyn Challenge site, especially the Main page, the Tools page, and the Walk page.

Since the Éowyn Challenge site began in 2003, TORn has been participating and created TORn Walk to Rivendell – and Beyond! as the charts take us well beyond Rivendell!
See you on the Road!!!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Mar 28 2017, 2:21pm

Post #3 of 21 (3024 views)
Shortcut
TORn Walk to Rivendell – and Beyond! Resources [In reply to] Can't Post

Resources:

· Walk to Rivendell/The Eowyn Challenge Site: Useful links, including mileage charts compiled by the late Karen Wynn Fonstad, are on the Tools page.

· Notta's Super-Duper Walking-Equivalents Chart: Every activity or exercise conversion you could hope for!!

· grammaboodawg's site: Includes helpful activity conversion charts, mileages for Bilbo's Hobbity journey home, and the Walk to Rivendell's TORn-up Postcards

Eowyn Challenge Site Charts

THE LORD OF THE RINGS:
· Bag End to Rivendell
· Rivendell to Lorien
· Lorien to Rauros
· Rauros to Isengard - Merry and Pippin’s Path
· Rauros to Isengard - Aragorn’s Path
· Isengard to Minas Tirith - Gandalf and Pippin’s Path
· Isengard to Minas Tirith - Aragorn’s Path
· Isengard to Minas Tirith - Merry’s Path
· Rauros to Mount Doom - Frodo and Sam’s Path
· Minas Tirith to Morannon
· Morannon to Minas Tirith - The Return
· The Road Home: Minas Tirith to Isengard
· The Road Home: Isengard to Rivendell
· The Road Home: Rivendell to Bag End
· Bag End to the Grey Havens

THE HOBBIT:
· Bag End to Rivendell
· Rivendell to Lonely Mountain

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Acanatane

Mar 28 2017, 8:46pm

Post #4 of 21 (2954 views)
Shortcut
Yay! [In reply to] Can't Post

I was literally thinking about this yesterday and how I'd like to start it again, but couldnt for the life of me remember what it was called!!! So glad you posted this!

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Mar 28 2017, 11:42pm

Post #5 of 21 (2945 views)
Shortcut
Oh yeah... [In reply to] Can't Post

Get out your comfy shoes! We're hitting the Road! :D

*high five*

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Acanatane

Mar 29 2017, 9:39am

Post #6 of 21 (2928 views)
Shortcut
:D [In reply to] Can't Post

NottaSackville
Tol Eressea

Mar 29 2017, 11:53am

Post #7 of 21 (2925 views)
Shortcut
Excellent, gramma - thank you! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Happiness: money matters, but less than we think and not in the way that we think. Family is important and so are friends, while envy is toxic -- and so is excessive thinking. Beaches are optional. Trust is not. Neither is gratitude. - The Geography of Bliss by Eric Weiner as summarized by Lily Fairbairn. And a bit of the Hobbit reading thrown in never hurts. - NottaSackville

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 29 2017, 12:30pm

Post #8 of 21 (2927 views)
Shortcut
"ReBOOT"! Very good! [In reply to] Can't Post

Time to get the hiking boots back on, eh? Smile Thanks, gramma!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Mar 30 2017, 12:43pm

Post #9 of 21 (2907 views)
Shortcut
TORn Walk to Rivendell - and Beyond! [In reply to] Can't Post

Greetings Fellow Walkers!

So.... have you checked your pockets? Got your pack stuffed with essentials? Do you know what direction you're going? GOOD! Let's hit the Road!

How do you like to make your mileage? I really prefer walking around the block... which means 4-miles of country roads! In this past year since we last travelled the paths of Middle-earth, I spent a LOT of time cleaning and repairing my Mom's home (April-September) then cleaning my basement. I try to do that once every 10-15 years whether it needs it or not ;)

Speaking of paths, I just left Isengard with Merry, Pippin, Gandalf and the Hunters along with the King and Army of Rohan. We left behind a rather soggy Saruman. Now I'm on my way to the Paths of the Dead with Aragorn, Legolas and Gimli!! OMG!!!

So how are you on your travels and activity? What's your favourite way to get your miles, and where in Middle-earth are you?

My Progress:
Miles covered: 12/24/2015 – 3/30/17 miles covered: 1,650
Total Cumulated miles [from Hobbiton]: 3,314

**And now, a Public Service Announcement**

The TORn Walk to Rivendell - and Beyond! thread can be found every Thursday right here on Main. I'll add to the thread each week until the collection drops off the page... then I'll start a new thread. If you're not sure how to find where you are in the charts or how to get started, feel free to ask and we'll get you on the right path!

Please remember to keep track of your progress and apply it to the Eowyn Challenge chart/journey of your choosing. The best part of our Walk to Rivendell is that there are no rules of how to achieve your goals. Just have fun and keep going until you fulfill your own personal Quests. If you have a break and get delayed, just pick up where you left off and keep on going! There's no way to fail :)

Resources:

Walk to Rivendell/The Eowyn Challenge Site: Useful links, including mileage charts compiled by the late Karen Wynn Fonstad, are on the Tools page.
Notta's Super-Duper Walking-Equivalents Chart: Every activity or exercise conversion you could hope for!
grammaboodawg's site: Includes helpful activity conversion charts, mileages for Bilbo's Hobbity journey home, and the Walk to Rivendell's TORn-up Postcards

sample

TIME Google Calendar

BlackFox
Half-elven

Apr 7 2017, 7:48pm

Post #10 of 21 (2753 views)
Shortcut
We're back! [In reply to] Can't Post

Yay! I'm so glad to see this thread return. Thank you, gramma, for making it happen!

I've never stopped. Since the last update, I've completed the LOTR journey (it took me 783(!) days) and began my adventure with Bilbo, Gandalf and the dwarves. I've just found the One Ring and escaped the Goblin Tunnels. Out of the frying pan... and into the fire! Shocked

Miles covered since 24 December 2015: 5419,5
Cumulative miles: 7552

See you on the road, guys! Smile

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Apr 8 2017, 12:03am

Post #11 of 21 (2734 views)
Shortcut
*geeky hand clapping* Well Done! [In reply to] Can't Post

I did the same thing! Just kept adding to the file and walking on and on!

Got the Ring and now cooking with Fire, eh!? Everything smells like singed dog... don'tcha think? ;)

Cheers BlackFox! See you on the Road!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

(This post was edited by grammaboodawg on Apr 8 2017, 12:08am)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Apr 8 2017, 12:07am

Post #12 of 21 (2733 views)
Shortcut
Walk to Rivendell - and Beyond week of 4/6 [In reply to] Can't Post

OH MY! Already I'm LATE! Well... when you're travelling with 3 very nifty Hunters, it's very easy to get distracted!!!

Don't be shy about getting your feet under you again. Even if you just start now and get all miles figured out and adjust it later... that's SO OKAY! You're only challenging yourself and we're all just enjoying the journey together :D

Have a GREAT WEEK, and I'll see you on the Road!

My Progress:
Miles covered: 18
Total Cumulated miles [from Hobbiton]: 3,332

I'm riding to the Paths of the Dead with Aragorn, Legolas and Gimli!!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

BlackFox
Half-elven

Apr 13 2017, 7:20pm

Post #13 of 21 (2619 views)
Shortcut
Update for April 13 [In reply to] Can't Post

Heya, folks!

It's so good to be officially back on the road! I'm travelling toward Mirkwood with Bilbo and the Company, after having being rescued by the Eagles and spending some time at Beorn's.

My progress:
Miles covered this week: 109
Cumulative miles: 7651

Happy Easter! Heart

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Apr 14 2017, 2:37am

Post #14 of 21 (2599 views)
Shortcut
Hey! I need a ride! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm obviously VERY LATE AGAIN!!! Geez!

But I'm still moving forward and racking (or raking) up the mileage with all the yardwork I've thrown myself at. Broken branches, twigs, and mucho messes have kept me very busy, and now very sore! ;)

So an eagle ride sounds like a REALLY good idea to me! See you on the Road!

My Progress:
Miles covered: 24
Total Cumulated miles [from Hobbiton]: 3,356

I'm STILL riding to the Paths of the Dead with Aragorn, Legolas and Gimli!!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Apr 20 2017, 2:46pm

Post #15 of 21 (2487 views)
Shortcut
Walk to Rivendell and Beyond for April 20th [In reply to] Can't Post

GREETING FELLOW WALKERS!

We're already well after halfway through the month! The good weather is finally moving in to mid-Michigan, so it's easier to get out and do some serious activity. I'll be mowing the lawn for the first time this season over the weekend....which is always action-packed! I also have a couple of groundhogs to live-trap and re-locate... so I'm kinda willing to delay that as long as possible ;)

So how are all of you doing! If you'd like some help figuring out where you are in your journeys according to the charts, I'll be happy to help :)

Here's my progress for the past week. SEE YOU ON THE ROAD!!!

Miles covered: 27
Total Cumulated miles [from Hobbiton]: 3,383 since 1/1/15

Aragorn, Legolas, Gimli and I have finally made it to Edoras; but we've already left for the Paths of the Dead. WHAT WAS I THINKING!?

sample

TIME Google Calendar

BlackFox
Half-elven

Apr 20 2017, 9:17pm

Post #16 of 21 (2466 views)
Shortcut
Hi, gramma! [In reply to] Can't Post

I've made it to Mirkwood! No better place for a black fox than that. Laugh

My progress:
Miles covered this week: 58
Cumulative miles: 7709

Happy walking, everyone! Smile

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Apr 21 2017, 10:53am

Post #17 of 21 (2451 views)
Shortcut
*high five* It's a fun place :D [In reply to] Can't Post

It's especially fun for a BlackFox or black squirrels *SQUIRREL!* and nice little spiders ;) Well Done!

Mirkwood Postcard

sample

TIME Google Calendar

tinkermarm
Bree

Apr 21 2017, 7:06pm

Post #18 of 21 (2436 views)
Shortcut
Headed toward Weathertop [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi, guys!

I joined here sometime early this year or late last year but wasn't able to participate as much as I would have liked, so it's good to be back! I'm very glad to have found *this* thread, because I am also walking to Rivendell. I began this sometime last year (May, I think), and have hit 233 miles this week, so I think that puts me along the road to Weathertop reciting "The Fall of Gil-galad" with Sam. :)

On a side note, the Walking to Mordor challenge has been a huge part of my life these days, as it's been my senior-design project for school to build an app to track your miles within Middle-earth (Emil from the LotR Project website gave us his map for this). I'm hoping to get an early version of it out before the end of the summer, but if anyone is interested I'd be happy to keep you all posted. (I don't want to hijack this thread so, if there's enough interest, perhaps I'll start my own?) Anyway, it is a work in progress, but it's starting to come along nicely (no picture--resolution is too low in a ~48KB file Frown ). The plan is to have a multi-player version so that you can team up and play with friends, TORNsibs, etc.

Somewhat related, does anyone know if the webmaster of the Eowyn Challenge site keeps an eye on their @yahoo.com address much? I sent out an email recently hoping to get permission to use some of Ms. Fonstad's charts to integrate into the application...

Thanks, and good luck to the rest of you on your journeys! :D

BlackFox
Half-elven

Apr 27 2017, 6:37pm

Post #19 of 21 (2354 views)
Shortcut
Update for April 27 [In reply to] Can't Post

It's been another busy week for me and I'm deep in Mirkwood now. It should get more eventful soon, as I'm approaching the Enchanted River. Shocked Exciting times! Laugh

My progress:
Miles covered this week: 100
Cumulative miles: 7809

See you on the road, guys! Smile

BlackFox
Half-elven

Apr 27 2017, 6:40pm

Post #20 of 21 (2352 views)
Shortcut
Welcome to the party! [In reply to] Can't Post

So nice to see new faces here! Stick around, please!

Ooh, the app sounds cool! So much more awesome than my Excel file. Laugh Do keep us updated!

Happy walking! Smile

tinkermarm
Bree

May 1 2017, 6:06pm

Post #21 of 21 (2319 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for the Welcome, BlackFox! :) [In reply to] Can't Post

App is coming along nicely. I was at an engineering fair presenting it on Friday, and I've since talked to both a lawyer and a small-business app developer to get some advice on starting things up properly (don't want to step on any trademark/copyright toes).

Things are progressing nicely, and will do so even more after finals are over and I have time to devote more to it. Tongue

Planning on sticking around for the time being; it's nice to be around other Tolkien enthusiasts! Wink

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.