LotR Trivia III
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Hamfast Gamgee
Tol Eressea

Apr 5 2017, 10:32pm

Post #26 of 40 (1089 views)
Shortcut
Well, I was thinking of ruling Lords [In reply to] Can't Post

So I am not sure that Fili and Kili do count. If they where called Lords it was probably due to politeness. After all would say Bombur have obeyed them if they had given him an order? Still, you have enough there, so you win!

Eruonen
Half-elven

Apr 6 2017, 1:14am

Post #27 of 40 (1082 views)
Shortcut
Here Durin's line [In reply to] Can't Post

http://tolkiengateway.net/wiki/House_of_Durin

"Kings"

Seven Durins.....

An older Gloin, Oin, Nain, Thorin, Nain II, Thrain II, Thorin II, Dain II, Thorin III

Lords is not defined

Eruonen
Half-elven

Apr 6 2017, 1:58am

Post #28 of 40 (1080 views)
Shortcut
Ready, set go! [In reply to] Can't Post

Name a far less famous coupling of human and elf that led to half elven descendants
Not Luthien and Beren
Not Idril and Tuor
Not Arwen and Aragorn

CuriousG
Half-elven

Apr 12 2017, 9:22am

Post #29 of 40 (1034 views)
Shortcut
I forget the names [In reply to] Can't Post

But do you mean the coupling that led to the half-elven of the house of Dol Amroth in Belfalas? I recall that the elf-maiden stuck around to give birth, but eventually went over sea, leaving her descendants behind to become a high-status aristocracy of Gondor.

Eruonen
Half-elven

Apr 12 2017, 2:08pm

Post #30 of 40 (1024 views)
Shortcut
Yes, go ahead and look them up - interesting info. [In reply to] Can't Post

Also, bonus Q - why did their children not have to make the choice between kind and were mortal?

Eruonen
Half-elven

Apr 13 2017, 2:16pm

Post #31 of 40 (1012 views)
Shortcut
Imrazor and Mithrellas [In reply to] Can't Post

Imrazôr, who according to legend married the Elven-lady Mithrellas.

http://tolkiengateway.net/wiki/Imrazôr

"Of the half-elves, Eärendil and Elwing were specifically given a choice in their fates when they journeyed to Valinor with a Silmaril to beg pardon for the Noldor and plead the plight of Elves and Men to the Valar. Only after that event was the choice passed to their children.[9] "
http://tolkiengateway.net/wiki/Half-elven

Eruonen
Half-elven

Apr 13 2017, 2:18pm

Post #32 of 40 (1011 views)
Shortcut
Here is your 1/2 trophy [In reply to] Can't Post

http://www.awardsmall.com/...;maxx=300&maxy=0

CuriousG
Half-elven

Apr 15 2017, 2:03pm

Post #33 of 40 (971 views)
Shortcut
Hmmm, that's not the 1/2 that I would have picked. // [In reply to] Can't Post

CuriousG
Half-elven

Apr 15 2017, 2:07pm

Post #34 of 40 (976 views)
Shortcut
New trivia question: how many times did Frodo wear the Ring before he reached Lorien? [In reply to] Can't Post

And see if you can name the circumstances. (I find the number easier to remember than the occasions.)

And no, Squire, you don't have to read my mind to get this one right. Smile

sador
Half-elven

Apr 21 2017, 3:07pm

Post #35 of 40 (893 views)
Shortcut
Assuming, of course, he heeded Gandalf's admonition [In reply to] Can't Post

And did not wear it at all before setting out.

You will notice that Galadriel did not say that - only "since you knew what you possessed".
But the question is: how did she know of the episode in Tom Bombadil's house?

Two asides:
1. At first reading, I thought you've meant "before Mount Doom". That would be a trick question - as some would be likely to forget that at Amon Hen Frodo took the Ring off, and put it back on later.
2. When I asked my son you riddle - he did remember the stunt at Tom's, but forgot the one at Bree.

Eruonen
Half-elven

Apr 21 2017, 3:28pm

Post #36 of 40 (892 views)
Shortcut
Off the top of my head - until I read more into the upcoming chapters [In reply to] Can't Post

I can think of two times.

CuriousG
Half-elven

Apr 21 2017, 5:08pm

Post #37 of 40 (886 views)
Shortcut
Galadriel does LOTS of snooping around in her guests' minds and knows all [In reply to] Can't Post

1. at Tom Bombadil's (to prove to himself that Tom gave him back the real Ring--he should have been glad to get rid of it so easily!)
  2. in the Prancing Pony (by mistake)
  3. on Weathertop

I always forget the Bombadil one, as if it didn't count, maybe because Tom could still see him, though Merry couldn't.
So Sador wins, or comes close enough to winning to have the next trivia challenge.

Eruonen
Half-elven

Apr 22 2017, 1:48am

Post #38 of 40 (869 views)
Shortcut
I forgot the Prancing Pony incident......so yes, those 3 are what I can recall too. [In reply to] Can't Post

sador
Half-elven

Apr 23 2017, 4:39pm

Post #39 of 40 (853 views)
Shortcut
So that's your theory? [In reply to] Can't Post

Interesting. I was wondering whether, as the only bearer of a Great Ring who actually did wear it, she was somehow aware.

Of course, the more mundane explanation was that Elladan and Elrohir told her Frodo's story, and remembered these small but juicy details.

Thank you for giving me the win! I will try to post some new trivia question tomorrow.

sador
Half-elven

Apr 27 2017, 5:23pm

Post #40 of 40 (830 views)
Shortcut
My apologies for running so late. [In reply to] Can't Post

I was finally going to post the new trivia question, when I found out it was Founders Day!

So I will need to start a new thread; but I'll probably wait until Sunday.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.