Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
LotR Trivia III
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Mar 25 2017, 8:52pm

Post #1 of 40 (2209 views)
Shortcut
LotR Trivia III Can't Post

April Fools Edtion

Name five characters from The Lord of the Rings known as fools, jokers, pranksters or general merry-makers (even if by accident).

"He who lies artistically, treads closer to the truth than ever he knows." -- Favorite proverb of the wizard Ningauble of the Seven Eyes

squire
Half-elven

Mar 25 2017, 10:36pm

Post #2 of 40 (2105 views)
Shortcut
Torn-foolery [In reply to] Can't Post

1. Sauron (‘So the forces that he has long been preparing he is now setting in motion, sooner than he intended. Wise fool.’)
  2. Pippin (‘Fool of a Took!’ he growled. ‘This is a serious journey, not a hobbit walking-party.’)
  3. Frodo (It was now Frodo’s turn to feel pleased with himself. He capered about on the table; and … leaped in the air.)
  4. Gorbag (‘You fool,’ snarled Shagrat. ‘You’ve been talking very clever, but there’s a lot you don’t know, though most other folk do.’)
  5. Quickbeam (He laughed if the sun came out from behind a cloud, he laughed if they came upon a stream or spring…; he laughed sometimes at some sound or whisper in the trees.)

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Archive: All the TORn Reading Room Book Discussions (including the 1st BotR Discussion!) and Footerama: "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
Dr. Squire introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

Eruonen
Valinor

Mar 25 2017, 11:28pm

Post #3 of 40 (2097 views)
Shortcut
Wow, that did not take long! [In reply to] Can't Post

CuriousG
Half-elven

Mar 26 2017, 12:10am

Post #4 of 40 (2089 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, squire's on fire today. March Madness is more than just basketball. // [In reply to] Can't Post

Hamfast Gamgee
Grey Havens

Mar 26 2017, 12:23am

Post #5 of 40 (2086 views)
Shortcut
Or how about the entire fellowship [In reply to] Can't Post

Minus Gandalf of course. 'Fly you fools,' at Moria!

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Mar 26 2017, 12:57am

Post #6 of 40 (2087 views)
Shortcut
Hmmm... [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't think I can accept at least one of those responses (though interesting reasoning!). Three of those answers are on my personal list; but I am open to ones I haven't considered. Feel free to modify your response.

"He who lies artistically, treads closer to the truth than ever he knows." -- Favorite proverb of the wizard Ningauble of the Seven Eyes

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Mar 26 2017, 1:04am)

squire
Half-elven

Mar 26 2017, 1:40am

Post #7 of 40 (2076 views)
Shortcut
As you will [In reply to] Can't Post

One of the themes we're seeing in this new RR activity is that the quizmasters tend to already have the answer(s) in their heads, assume incorrectly that their minds are readable, and so fail to pose the questions as clearly as they might.

It reminds me of a fine round robin we once had on the question "Who is the first individual to actually speak in The Lord of the Rings and where does this occur?"

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Archive: All the TORn Reading Room Book Discussions (including the 1st BotR Discussion!) and Footerama: "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Mar 26 2017, 1:46am

Post #8 of 40 (2074 views)
Shortcut
Yeah... [In reply to] Can't Post

...I probably should have left 'merry-maker' off of my question, but it is what it is!

squire
Half-elven

Mar 26 2017, 2:07am

Post #9 of 40 (2071 views)
Shortcut
"Fool" also has multiple meanings as Tolkien uses it [In reply to] Can't Post

And only one of those meanings is in the same amusing category as joker or prankster.

squire online:

sador
Half-elven

Mar 26 2017, 6:21am

Post #10 of 40 (2054 views)
Shortcut
I expect [In reply to] Can't Post

You probably counted Radagast (as reported by Gandalf in the Council of Elrond); although some might object he only appears off-stage, and is not a character.

The Witch-king called Gandalf "Old fool"; and Denethor named him "the grey fool" - to which Pippin objected (both in The Siege of Gondor: Denethor repeated the taunt before burning on his pyre, and then it went uncallanged)..

Gandalf himself told Saruman he had become a fool, although earlier in the conversation, Saruman asserted he was not (The Voice of Saruman).
However, Grishnakh also called Saruman a fool - and a dirty treacherous one.

Gandalf also called Butterbur "fool", preceded by "ass" for good measure (as he told at the Council; however, one chapter earlier, he scolded Frodo for calling Butterbur 'stupid', while glancing over the same term of abuse when applied to Bill Ferny).

Regarding Frodo - just before the description squire had detailed, he felt very foolish (and was considered by the patrons quite drunk, which made them call for a song). The word "foolish" is explicitly mentioned in the text.

And at any rate, Strider calls Frodo's disappearing later a "prank" - one of the other terms you've mentioned.

As for jests - Gandalf told Saruman in the same conversation that he should have been a king's jester.

However, when Imrahil said in The Last Debate that the attack on the Black Gate was the greatest jest in the history of Gondor, Gandalf disagreed.

But Gimli quite forgave Legolas' jest regarding the caves of Aglarond (The Road to Isengard).

Do jokes count? Anyway, Gollum told Sam not to make jokes in The Black Gate is Closed.

I am sure there are more.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Mar 26 2017, 12:14pm

Post #11 of 40 (2043 views)
Shortcut
Well, I can't argue with a Winner! [In reply to] Can't Post

Other acceptable responses would have included (though not been limited to):

- Bilbo with his 'little joke' involving his ring at his long-expected party
- Peregrin 'fool of a' Took
- Tom Bombadil (and possibly Goldberry, both fond of making-merry)
- Denethor who used the Ithil-stone and paid for his foolishness
- Ioreth the woman of Gondor with a foolish tongue.
- Lindir an elven minstrel of Rivendell
- Quickbeam was certainly a merry soul, especially for an Ent

But I would not count Meriadoc 'Merry' Brandybuck just for the sake of the pun.

Feel free to continue with the "April Fools" theme if you wish, or choose another (maybe "Spring"?).

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Mar 26 2017, 12:16pm)

sador
Half-elven

Mar 26 2017, 4:13pm

Post #12 of 40 (2023 views)
Shortcut
Who, me? [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, thank you. I will try to think of something.

Eruonen
Valinor

Mar 26 2017, 6:20pm

Post #13 of 40 (2021 views)
Shortcut
your trophy [In reply to] Can't Post

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/...867_b4fde9545b_z.jpg

(This post was edited by Eruonen on Mar 26 2017, 6:21pm)

CuriousG
Half-elven

Mar 27 2017, 1:49am

Post #14 of 40 (1994 views)
Shortcut
Eru is the master prize finder. // [In reply to] Can't Post

sador
Half-elven

Mar 27 2017, 5:48am

Post #15 of 40 (1996 views)
Shortcut
"I was having such a lovely dream" [In reply to] Can't Post

I have pointed out on previous occasions the multiple parallels between Bilbo and Sam. No doubt, as FarFromHome wrote, this has to do with the function they serve in the respective narratives - but both are fascinated with elves, are insatiably curious, profess to being good cooks, have a grudging affinity with Gollm (see here), Both quote folk-sayings, attributing them to their fathers, Well, you might even say they both have an important meaning at The Green Dragon in the secong chapters of their respective books.

This trivia collection is about another theme in which similar things occur to them: sleep!

1. Both are said to be snoring.
2. Both wait for others to snore, or at least check their breathing while sleeping.
3. Both are alarmed after what seems to be a dream becomes true.
4. Both have dreams in which they are looking for things.
5. Both oversleep, and are chided for it by a friend with an anatomical term of abuse - payfully, or contemptuously? The books give the impression that in one case, it was benign; but less so in the other.

Can you find these places?

Bonus Question:
Both are involved with a vision, in which a third character is asleep, or close to it. In both cases the sleep is connected to death.

Hamfast Gamgee
Grey Havens

Mar 27 2017, 10:53pm

Post #16 of 40 (1959 views)
Shortcut
Okay out of the top of my head at first! [In reply to] Can't Post

A few possible answers
1) Bilbo at Rivendell. Sam in general when Frodo says that he doesn't believe if he is asleep even if Sam snores
2) Bilbo with Smaug, Sam with Gollum
3)Now does alarm here mean a nasty or nice alarm? In Bilbo's case the wood-Elves at Mirkwood, in Sam's when they sing the song at the field of Cormellian?
4) Bilbo I really cannot think of this one. At Beorn's home perhaps? Sam's looking for his pipe outside MInas Morgul.
5) Bilbo at Rivendell by the Elves? 'You're snores would wake a drunken dragon,' Sam by Gollum somewhere near Mordor. Do you know, there is a certain theme behind some of these!

Now the bonus question really has me stumped. In the case of Sam is it something to do with the stairs of the tower of Cirith Ungol. And with Bilbo I really cannot think of anything apart from possibly Rivendell again with his poen of Earendil.

Eruonen
Valinor

Apr 1 2017, 1:21am

Post #17 of 40 (1905 views)
Shortcut
Is Hamfast correct or partially correct? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hamfast Gamgee
Grey Havens

Apr 1 2017, 10:23pm

Post #18 of 40 (1875 views)
Shortcut
Well, I don't think I was totally correct so here are a few updated answers [In reply to] Can't Post

3) In Bilbo's case I now think it was at the Goblin cave when it opened in his sleep and continued when he awoke. In Sam's maybe when he sees Gollum as a log and wakes up and still sees Gollum!
4) Bilbo dreaming when he is in Mirkwood about the Elven feast?

I am afraid I still am stumped about Bilbo been in a vision. I simply cannot think of one or where he could possibly be in one. The poem of Earendil at Rivendell perhaps which Frodo did have a trance listening too, but I can't think where death came into it!

sador
Half-elven

Apr 2 2017, 6:33am

Post #19 of 40 (1838 views)
Shortcut
Not totally, but very good - and you win. [In reply to] Can't Post

1. Both are said to be snoring.
You got that right the first time - although you quoted the correct phrase about Bilbo in answer no. 5: In The Last Stage, the Rivendell Elves tell Bilbo his snoring could wake a stone dragon.
And yes, Frodo told Sam he was snoring - at Crickhollow, when referring to his conversation with Gildor. Sam was specifically mentioned as snoring in Three is Company - but as Frodo finds out, he was only playacting.

2. Both wait for others to snore, or at least check their breathing while sleeping.

Your answer was better than mine: I forgot that Smaug was said to be snoring, too (and twice!). I was thinking of Galion and the chief of the guards in Barrels out of Bond. But nevertheless, you deserve full credit for the answer.
Correct again - Sam checked on Gollum's breathing in the Dead Marshes, even saying fisssh to make sure.

3. Both are alarmed after what seems to be a dream becomes true.

You got the answer for Bilbo right the second time - Bilbo's dream of the crack that became true in the Goblin cave.
Sam had dreamt of a log with eyes in The Great River, and then he realised it was not all a dream - it was indeed Gollum. Was it a nightmare based on Haldir's words in the previous chapter, or was he simply never asleep? He doesn't know, and neither do we.

4. Both have dreams in which they are looking for things.

Your first answer was nearly correct, so I'll ignore the later "correction" which was off-mark. At the end of Out of the Frying-pan Into the Fire, just before going to Beorn's, Bilbo

...slept curled up on the hard rock more soundly than ever he had done on his feather-bed... But all night he dreamed of his own house and wandered in his sleep into all his different rooms looking for something that he could not find nor remember what it looked like.

And Sam, indeed dreamed he was looking for something in Journey to the Cross-roads, and woke up realising that it was a pipe.

5. Both oversleep, and are chided for it by a friend with an anatomical term of abuse - p(l)ayfully, or contemptuously? The books give the impression that in one case, it was benign; but less so in the other.

This actally was in Beron's house - with Bofur stumbling upon him with the words "Get up lazybones, or there will be no breakfast".
Frodo called Sam a sleepyhead when he woke in the field of Cormallen - for sleeping thirteen days rather than just twelve.

Bonus Question:
Both are involved with a vision, in which a third character is asleep, or close to it. In both cases the sleep is connected to death.

I misremembered my own phrasing - I thought it was clear that the third character was the same. Naturally, it was Frodo.
The vision with Sam I think you got correct - when he saw Frodo fast asleep under a cliff in the Mirror of Galadriel, which later turned out to be in Cirth Ungol. As we find out only in The Choices of Master Samwise, as early as the first time he saw the vision, he thought Frodo might be dead and not just asleep.
Bilbo appeared in Frodo's vision, or dream, when he dozed towards sleep atop Caradhras. As anyone who had read Jack London's To Build a Fire realises, Frodo was actually drifting towards death of hypothermia. For those who hasn't read that book - Boromir says as much.

So I think that grades as seven out of ten (I give you credit for your Beorn guess, for your answering better than myself regarding Smaug), and with one of the bones questions, that becomes eight.

Well done!

Eruonen
Valinor

Apr 2 2017, 4:16pm

Post #20 of 40 (1786 views)
Shortcut
Well done, here is your sleep inspired trophy [In reply to] Can't Post

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/...05DC-447_634x619.jpg

Or this one, your choice:

http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/...st?cb=20090220020736

Eruonen
Valinor

Apr 2 2017, 4:17pm

Post #21 of 40 (1793 views)
Shortcut
Your turn for a quiz question [In reply to] Can't Post

May I suggest one not toooo involved for best response.

Hamfast Gamgee
Grey Havens

Apr 2 2017, 10:42pm

Post #22 of 40 (1778 views)
Shortcut
All right, not totally correct, but I will take it [In reply to] Can't Post

And I suppose that Hillary Clinton would have been happy with 70% wouldn't she! Yes, good catch with the one with Bilbo at Caradhas. I think that a bit of laterall thinking was needed there. A bit like croswords, I suppose. I have thought up a question below.

Hamfast Gamgee
Grey Havens

Apr 2 2017, 11:01pm

Post #23 of 40 (1780 views)
Shortcut
All right, my question [In reply to] Can't Post

And this is without looking! How many Dwarf Lords of Durin's folk can you name?

Eruonen
Valinor

Apr 3 2017, 1:45am

Post #24 of 40 (1772 views)
Shortcut
Hmm, without looking [In reply to] Can't Post

Durin
Thror
Thrain
Thorin
*Fili and Kili if "lords" = royalty
Dain
Balin by the time of his Moria leadership if not before.
Dain II
Gimli - unsure, but he was sent as a representative...and if he was, can we assume Gloin?

CuriousG
Half-elven

Apr 3 2017, 8:21pm

Post #25 of 40 (1732 views)
Shortcut
Hmm, without adding Roman numerals to names [In reply to] Can't Post

I can't think of any more than Eruonen did. Great question, though.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.