The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
My take on Gorlim in Beren and Luthien

Hamfast Gamgee
Tol Eressea

Mar 23 2017, 8:13am

Post #1 of 4 (1019 views)
Shortcut
My take on Gorlim in Beren and Luthien Can't Post

I thought that I would share my opinions on the fate of this character. Just as a remainder, Gorlim was a character in Beren and Luthien who betrayed Beren and his gang to Sauron after been captured, although this was done to save his wife who Sauron later informed him was dead. Gorlim seems almost a bit like Gollum in his sympathetic but treacherous character. Anyway, the narrative says that Sauron put Gorlim cruelly to death, but doesn't give any more details. Later on in the tale we hear about characters been thrown to Werewolves in Sauron's pits. So, I surmize that this was probably Gorlim's fate.

Eruonen
Half-elven

Mar 23 2017, 2:56pm

Post #2 of 4 (994 views)
Shortcut
I will have to re-read the story but it does seem likely [In reply to] Can't Post

that one of the methods of cruel death would be what you suggest. I am sure Sauron had a choice of methods....rack, fire, whipping etc etc. We don't often get a glimpse into what Sauron actually does vs his presence as a threat that looms over the tales.

InTheChair
Rohan

Mar 23 2017, 8:30pm

Post #3 of 4 (978 views)
Shortcut
There are so many ways Gorlim could have been cruelly put to death. Werewolves is but one of them. (If one assume Sauron didn't do the deed himself) [In reply to] Can't Post

On the other hand Sauron could have done much worse to him than simply put him to death.

For the Unbodied, wandering in the world, are those who at the least have refused the door of life and remain in regret and self-pity. Some are filled with bitterness, grievance, and envy. Some where enslaved by the Dark Lord and do his work still, though he himself is gone. They will not speak truth or wisdom. To call on them is folly. To attempt to master them and to make them servants of one own's will is wickedness. Such practices are of Morgoth; and the necromancers are of the host of Sauron his servant.

Really spoken about the Elves to be precise, but if Gorlim had regrets in life he too perhaps would have been open to the deceipts of the Necromancers. Though I imagine beeing mortal he could not have refused the summons of Mandos, and his appearance and warning to Beren give the distinct impression that he attones for his sins and rejects the evil of Sauron.

Hamfast Gamgee
Tol Eressea

Mar 26 2017, 10:19pm

Post #4 of 4 (908 views)
Shortcut
True, but werewolves where there, why not make use of them [In reply to] Can't Post

Like he did to the prisoners he captured later on. Although you are right that Necromancy did seem to be a particular speciality of Sauron's But he managed to almost perfect that in later ages. Actually I think that I might have done Gorlim a diservice in comparing him in personality to Gollum. Gorlim was a better person. Yes, he did betray his companions, but he did have what he believed where good reasons for doing so. And as you say he did atone for his deed.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.