Eruonen
Half-elven

Mar 22 2017, 2:10pm

Post #1 of 22 (2561 views)
Shortcut
Tom Bombadil - The Dark Side Can't Post

http://km-515.livejournal.com/1042.html

Oldest and Fatherless: The Terrible Secret of Tom Bombadil

This may have been posted in the past but it is a very interesting take on the same set of facts we all know well but may not have considered them in this light ...or should I say "dark".

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Mar 22 2017, 2:18pm

Post #2 of 22 (2533 views)
Shortcut
The Wise seem remarkably unconcerned. [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, this has been discussed before with references to the article you cite. It's fun to speculate, but I don't believe this for a second. When the subject of Bombadil was brought up at the Council of Elrond, the Wise did not seem particularly worried over Tom except that he would have no care at all for the Ring and would more likely lose it than not. Or perhaps he would gift it to Goldberry (setting up another Dark Queen?).

"He who lies artistically, treads closer to the truth than ever he knows." -- Favorite proverb of the wizard Ningauble of the Seven Eyes

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Mar 22 2017, 2:19pm)

Darkstone
Immortal

Mar 22 2017, 2:19pm

Post #3 of 22 (2525 views)
Shortcut
"Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Bombadil Withywindle wgah'nagl fhtagn!" / [In reply to] Can't Post

Aragorn and Legolas went now with Éomer in the van.
-Helm’s Deep, Chapter 7, Book III, The Two Towers

(Thanks to Brethil for image.)

Eruonen
Half-elven

Mar 22 2017, 2:28pm

Post #4 of 22 (2522 views)
Shortcut
Ah, he just played uninterested biding his evil time ! ;) [In reply to] Can't Post

Lord of the Huorns! Willow Lord with his army of Barrow Wights.

His greatest weapon....his singing.

(This post was edited by Eruonen on Mar 22 2017, 2:34pm)

CuriousG
Half-elven

Mar 23 2017, 12:06am

Post #5 of 22 (2486 views)
Shortcut
That article lost me at its first factual blunder [In reply to] Can't Post

And yet no hobbit has ever heard of him.

From "In The House of Tom Bombadil":

He appeared already to know much about them and all their families, and indeed to know much of all the history and doings of the Shire down from days hardly remembered among the hobbits themselves. It no longer surprised them; but he made no secret that he owed his recent knowledge largely to Farmer Maggot, whom he seemed to regard as a person of more importance than they had imagined.

Eruonen
Half-elven

Mar 23 2017, 4:05am

Post #6 of 22 (2471 views)
Shortcut
I think it is true in a larger sense as Farmer Maggot was an exception. [In reply to] Can't Post

He seems to have been the only Hobbit who knew of Bombadil. Farmer Maggot is a rather special case personage for many reasons - he was much more plugged in to the wider world and acted as a almost a secret contact for various outsiders. It appears he kept his knowledge to himself or very few other Hobbits.

"Living in the borderlands Maggot had to be more on his guard than most Hobbits and for protection he kept three huge dogs called Grip, Fang, and Wolf.[2]" http://tolkiengateway.net/wiki/Farmer_Maggot

(This post was edited by Eruonen on Mar 23 2017, 4:10am)

squire
Half-elven

Mar 23 2017, 4:55am

Post #7 of 22 (2467 views)
Shortcut
All of the hobbits of Buckland and the Marish knew who Bombadil was, though not 'what' he was [In reply to] Can't Post

Tolkien added 'Bombadil Goes A-Boating' to Tom's lore in his short poetry collection The Adventures of Tom Bombadil (1962). In it Tom jokes with an entire band of bounder hobbits, who threaten laughingly to shoot his hat full of arrows as he boats past on his way to a party at Maggot's house. In his editor's commentary, Tolkien says of the two Bombadil poems,
They show that the Bucklanders knew Bombadil, though, no doubt, they had as little understanding of his powers as the Shire-folk had of Gandalf's: both were regarded a benevolent persons, mysterious maybe and unpredictable but nonetheless comic. - Preface, The Adventures of Tom Bombadil

Maggot and Tom were certainly friends, but I never got the impression that Maggot was a particularly "special case personage" among the Marish farmers, nor that he "acted as almost a secret contact for various outsiders". Can you be more clear where those characterizations of him come from? The Tolkien Gateway's phrase "most hobbits", than whom he is more on guard with his fierce dogs, seems to refer to those who lived further west in the Shire, not to his neighbors in the Marish much less the large but alert colony of Buckland with its guards, fences, and contacts with Bree.

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Archive: All the TORn Reading Room Book Discussions (including the 1st BotR Discussion!) and Footerama: "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
Dr. Squire introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Mar 23 2017, 7:04am

Post #8 of 22 (2460 views)
Shortcut
My own suspicion... [In reply to] Can't Post

...is that Maggot might have been a Bounder in his youth and first encountered Tom Bombadil at the High Hay, the hedge that separated Buckland from the Old Forest. It's only speculation; I have no evidence for my supposition.

I also suspect that if Tolkien had written more about "the three remarkable Took sisters (including Bilbo's mother) we might learn that Primula Took (and perhaps one or both of her adventurous sisters) might also have been acquainted with Old Tom.

"He who lies artistically, treads closer to the truth than ever he knows." -- Favorite proverb of the wizard Ningauble of the Seven Eyes

Hamfast Gamgee
Tol Eressea

Mar 23 2017, 7:43am

Post #9 of 22 (2453 views)
Shortcut
I wonder if Farmer Maggot also knew about Aragorn and the Rangers? [In reply to] Can't Post

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Mar 23 2017, 1:45pm

Post #10 of 22 (2434 views)
Shortcut
Shirriffs and Rangers [In reply to] Can't Post

Some of the Bounders might have been more generally aware of the Rangers than were other Shire-hobbits. And if Maggot was a Bounder then this might apply to him as well. But I would be skeptical of the idea that any of them knew anything of substance about Aragorn. Few, if any, were likely to really understand exactly who and what the Rangers were.

Eruonen
Half-elven

Mar 23 2017, 2:16pm

Post #11 of 22 (2426 views)
Shortcut
In The House of Tom Bombadil [In reply to] Can't Post

....in the three volume set pg 143

"It no longer surprised them; but he made no secret that he owed his recent knowledge largely to Farmer Maggot, whom he seemed to regard as a person of more importance that they had imagined."

I put Maggot and Butterbur in similar categories - trusted citizens contacts of powerful people who will strive to do as asked and not ask too many questions.

(This post was edited by Eruonen on Mar 23 2017, 2:21pm)

Darkstone
Immortal

Mar 23 2017, 3:52pm

Post #12 of 22 (2422 views)
Shortcut
Kinda like County Sheriff Deputies and State Troopers. [In reply to] Can't Post

It might be assumed the bounders worked with the rangers on occasion.

From http://middle-earth.xenite.org/...-rangers-and-things/

So if Aragorn’s people lived in the Angle, they could hardly have been wandering all over Eriador. The true wanderers were the Rangers themselves, and it would seem reasonable that the Rangers were only a small corps of special officers or soldiers charged with patrolling Eriador, specifically with policing the highways. The Dunedain could not maintain a court and prison system, but they could ensure that local justice received their support.

Eruonen
Half-elven

Mar 23 2017, 4:02pm

Post #13 of 22 (2419 views)
Shortcut
I get the impression from what Aragorn said to Boromir at The Council of Elrond [In reply to] Can't Post

that the Hobbits would have no clue who or what they were:

"Travellers scowl at us, and countrymen give us scornful names. "Strider" I am to one fat man who lives within a days march of foes that would freeze his heart, or lay his little town to ruin (Buttebur and Bree)......If simple folk are free from care and fear, simple they will be, and we must be secret to keep them so...."

(This post was edited by Eruonen on Mar 23 2017, 4:03pm)

Darkstone
Immortal

Mar 23 2017, 4:28pm

Post #14 of 22 (2416 views)
Shortcut
Basically... [In reply to] Can't Post

...typical anti-cop behavior.

I suppose rangers handing out speeding tickets on the Great East Road would be a sore point. Especially if you're just walking fast.

Eruonen
Half-elven

Mar 23 2017, 4:35pm

Post #15 of 22 (2407 views)
Shortcut
There is a whole unwritten history of Dunedain activities and actions in the North [In reply to] Can't Post

that we know nothing about but can only speculate upon based on cryptic comments such as Aragorn's. I am going to guess and say there were less than 1,000....maybe only 500....Dunedain to cover all of the north....rather like Canadian Mounties.

"Prime Minister Sir John A. Macdonald first began planning a permanent force to patrol the North-West Territories after the Dominion of Canada purchased the territory from the Hudson's Bay Company. Reports from Army officers surveying the territory led to the recommendation that a mounted force of between 100 to 150 mounted riflemen could maintain law and order. " Wiki

Darkstone
Immortal

Mar 23 2017, 4:40pm

Post #16 of 22 (2406 views)
Shortcut
Nelson Eddy and Jeanette MacDonald as Aragorn and Arwen... [In reply to] Can't Post

...singing "Dunedain Love Call".

Hey, I'd pay good money to watch that!

Eruonen
Half-elven

Mar 23 2017, 4:54pm

Post #17 of 22 (2405 views)
Shortcut
Aragorn would have to clean up, brush his teeth, I doubt he has that tooth sparkle. [In reply to] Can't Post

Darkstone
Immortal

Mar 23 2017, 5:13pm

Post #18 of 22 (2400 views)
Shortcut
Oh, that's a good one! [In reply to] Can't Post

Still smiling! Thanks! Made my day!

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Mar 23 2017, 9:37pm

Post #19 of 22 (2382 views)
Shortcut
Rangers and Local Authorities [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Kinda like County Sheriff Deputies and State Troopers.
It might be assumed the bounders worked with the rangers on occasion.

Except in this case all of the State Troopers are working under cover and very few of the local deputies knew about them. I doubt that even the Mayor of Michel Delving (First Shirriff) knew the truth about the wandering Dúnedain, though the Master of Buckland and/or the Thain (who represented the authority of the King) might have known more.

Thanks for the link! I've speculated along similar lines about the Rangers of the North, most recently at the Cubicle 7 forums for The One Ring Role Playing Game (or maybe it was the ones for Adventures in Middle-earth).

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Mar 23 2017, 9:44pm)

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Mar 23 2017, 9:52pm

Post #20 of 22 (2373 views)
Shortcut
Yes... [In reply to] Can't Post

...I was thinking of that very passage.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Mar 24 2017, 2:08pm

Post #21 of 22 (2346 views)
Shortcut
The Barrow-downs, the Old Forest and the Withywindle [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Lord of the Huorns! Willow Lord with his army of Barrow Wights.

I wonder if the Old Forest might have been a much more wholesome place before the Wights infested and blighted the Barrow-downs. The Withywindle originates in the downs and might spread their blight to the trees of the Old Forest that are watered by the stream. I believe that the Barrow-downs were at the edge of Tom's country but not really a part of it. He could still draw power from his own lands, but he might not have been comfortable remaining in the Barrow-downs for long.

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Mar 24 2017, 2:11pm)

Eruonen
Half-elven

Mar 24 2017, 2:20pm

Post #22 of 22 (2329 views)
Shortcut
He seems to have set his own borders and the Barrow Downs [In reply to] Can't Post

though probably just outside them would probably be just too much work with all of the wights to expel so he essentially let it be. Plus, they are more barren, grass covered hills. of less interest to him.

It does make me wonder what Tom and Goldberry were up to during the years Arthedain's kings were ruling his area. After all, the Old Forest is not large and his residence would not have been difficult to find by anyone coming down the Withywindle. It makes you wonder if they could "disappear" / cast illusion.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.