The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Bernie Wrightson, R.I.P.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Mar 19 2017, 3:26pm

Post #1 of 7 (337 views)
Shortcut
Bernie Wrightson, R.I.P. Can't Post

Legendary comics artist Bernie Wrightson, co-creator (with Len Wein) of DC Comics' Swamp Thing, passed away Saturday, March 18, at the age of 68 after a long battle with brain cancer. Wrightson was known for his distinctive and moody art-style which was also showcased in his illustrations for the Marvel Books edition of Mary Shelly's Frankenstein (reprinted by and currently available through Dark Horse Comics).

Link: http://www.newsfromme.com/...ernie-wrightson-r-p/

"He who lies artistically, treads closer to the truth than ever he knows." -- Favorite proverb of the wizard Ningauble of the Seven Eyes

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Mar 19 2017, 3:29pm)

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Mar 20 2017, 2:06am

Post #2 of 7 (294 views)
Shortcut
Sorry, O-s [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm not familiar with Mr. Wrightson, but I'm sorry that someone who means something to you has passed, and at a relatively young age.

Brain cancer sucks. Frown

~Sometimes you have a problem, the kind you can't erase,
sometimes it jumps up and slaps you in the face.
Don't run around in circles, don't scream and don't shout,
just put your head together and figure it out.
Figure it out, baby, figure it out.
Figure it out, baby, figure it out!~

Brought to you by Sesame Street and LMNOP (Donald Glover) Smile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMBbgy0TV6U

squire
Half-elven

Mar 20 2017, 3:39am

Post #3 of 7 (294 views)
Shortcut
The Frankenstein book was very well done [In reply to] Can't Post

I've come across its imagery in online clippings, and admired it. It was over-the-top homage to 1950s EC Horror, with a level of detail and lighting that the pulp mags couldn't have sustained - at the occasional expense of focus. I didn't know the artist, but now I do. Thanks for the notice, and my sympathies to his family and those fans who had followed his career.

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Archive: All the TORn Reading Room Book Discussions (including the 1st BotR Discussion!) and Footerama: "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
Dr. Squire introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

Eruonen
Half-elven

Mar 21 2017, 9:37pm

Post #4 of 7 (265 views)
Shortcut
I was not familiar with him but I like his work - he certainly was a talented [In reply to] Can't Post

artist and could capture the macabre.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Mar 21 2017, 10:08pm

Post #5 of 7 (259 views)
Shortcut
Wrightson's Frankenstein [In reply to] Can't Post

What particularly struck me about Wrightson's Frankenstein illustrations was how he captured the look of woodblock reproduction just using pen and ink (and very detailed cross-hatching).

"He who lies artistically, treads closer to the truth than ever he knows." -- Favorite proverb of the wizard Ningauble of the Seven Eyes

Eruonen
Half-elven

Mar 21 2017, 10:23pm

Post #6 of 7 (255 views)
Shortcut
Would loved to have seen his take on Orcs, Trolls, Nazgul etc. [In reply to] Can't Post

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Mar 21 2017, 11:52pm

Post #7 of 7 (252 views)
Shortcut
Agreed. [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't know that Wrightson had ever produced any Tolkien-related art. His early work was heavily influenced by Frank Frazetta.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.