Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of The Rings:
Best special features from the EE Blurays?

tppytel

Mar 4 2017, 2:48pm

Post #1 of 9 (3731 views)
Shortcut
Best special features from the EE Blurays? Can't Post

I'm a moderate Tolkien fan - I've read the trilogy a few times, have read The Silmarillion and some other texts, and enjoy rewatching the movies every few years. I'm sure I'm nowhere near as serious as many people here. I've got the EE Bluray set and have ripped the main features to my Plex server. Now for most movies I meticulously rip, rencode, and label every special feature and file those under the main movie in Plex - sometimes I or my kids enjoy watching them when we have half an hour to spare. But with 9 DVD's worth of special features that would be completely insane - it would take weeks of farting around with encoding settings and would be impossible to navigate anyway. Are there maybe 8-10 really worthwhile special features that anyone would like to recommend? I'm more interested in features about the literary background and artistic/cinematic choices than in-depth special effects and production details. But one or two making-of features wouldn't be unwelcome if they're good.

Thanks for any recommendations you can provide.

TheHutt
Gondor

Mar 6 2017, 11:19am

Post #2 of 9 (3605 views)
Shortcut
Yes. [In reply to] Can't Post

All of them.
Really.

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Booklet - Custom Booklet Project

Lindele
Gondor

Mar 6 2017, 7:04pm

Post #3 of 9 (3568 views)
Shortcut
I second this [In reply to] Can't Post

dormouse
Half-elven

Mar 7 2017, 11:45am

Post #4 of 9 (3514 views)
Shortcut
I third it // [In reply to] Can't Post

For still there are so many things
that I have never seen:
in every wood and every spring
there is a different green. . .

hanne
Lorien

Mar 8 2017, 12:07pm

Post #5 of 9 (3449 views)
Shortcut
To expand on why... [In reply to] Can't Post

The extras on these movies are light years ahead from the usual repeat-scenes-from-the-movie, I-knew-she-was-perfect-the-moment-she-walked-in-the-room super boring stuff that you see on most DVDs.

They never do that, but give geniunely new information and tell real stories. Every one of these little documentaries is fascinating.

That's why its really impossible to pick out the best, and a shame if you and your family don't get to watch them all.

Darkstone
Immortal

Mar 8 2017, 3:07pm

Post #6 of 9 (3443 views)
Shortcut
All of them at once! [In reply to] Can't Post

Though my personal favorite from the Blu-ray EEs is "Warriors of Middle Earth" from the TTT-EE.

But actually my very favorite of *all* the LOTR extras is the Fox TV special "Quest for the Ring" on the FOTR theatrical version, though the January 2001 "Lord of the Rings" trailer on the same disc is a very close second. Both give a nice nostalgic sense of that heady initial excitement while we waiting for the films to come out.

Some people really like the 6:38 Lord of the Rings Trilogy "Super Trailer" on the ROTK theatrical edition. They say it gives them "a quick fix" for when they go into LOTR withdrawal and they don't have the 11 1/3 hours to binge watch the entire trilogy. (I'm looking at you, gramma.)

BTW, the DVD-ROM editions provide (or used to provide) access to on-line extras like screensavers, wallpaper, sheet music, character portraits, e-cards, etc. I especially liked "Murals of Rivendell" which had six mural paintings with notes by Alan Lee.

“Begone, foul dwimmerlaik, lord of carrion! Leave the dead in peace!"
"Come not between the Nazgul and his prey! Or he will not slay thee in thy turn. He will bear thee away to the houses of lamentation, beyond all darkness, where thy flesh shall be devoured, and thy shrivelled mind be left naked to the Lidless Eye."
"Do what you will; but I will hinder it, if I may."
"Hinder me? Thou fool. No living man may hinder me!"
"But no living man am I! I am Eowyn, daughter of Theodwyn!”
"Er, really? My mother's name was Theodwyn, too!"
"No way!"
"Way!"
"Wow! Let's stop fighting and be best friends!"
"Cool!!"

-Zack Snyder's The Return of the King

Silmaril
Rohan

Mar 10 2017, 9:06am

Post #7 of 9 (3353 views)
Shortcut
I love all of them! [In reply to] Can't Post

And watched them several times. The crew and cast were fantastic!

malickfan
Gondor

Mar 23 2017, 9:34am

Post #8 of 9 (3097 views)
Shortcut
I think I've watched the EE behind the scenes more times than the actual films// [In reply to] Can't Post

Silmaril
Rohan

Mar 23 2017, 9:45am

Post #9 of 9 (3097 views)
Shortcut
At least as much I think. [In reply to] Can't Post

That's really unique! Heart

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.