The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Bill Paxton, R.I.P.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Feb 26 2017, 4:46pm

Post #1 of 11 (591 views)
Shortcut
Bill Paxton, R.I.P. Can't Post

Actor Bill Paxton dies at 61 due to complications from surgery: https://www.aol.com/...om-surgery/21721993/

I'll always remember Paxton as Colonial Marine Private Hudson ("He's Hicks.") in James Cameron's Aliens. Condolences to Mr. Paxton's family, friends, colleagues and admirers.

HUDSON: Game over, man! Game over!

"He who lies artistically, treads closer to the truth than ever he knows." -- Favorite proverb of the wizard Ningauble of the Seven Eyes

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Feb 26 2017, 4:48pm)

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 26 2017, 6:08pm

Post #2 of 11 (547 views)
Shortcut
Ah hell. That's really sad to hear. [In reply to] Can't Post

Hudson was my favourite role of his. RIP.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Annael
Immortal

Feb 26 2017, 6:35pm

Post #3 of 11 (543 views)
Shortcut
wait, what? [In reply to] Can't Post

Oh, that is way too soon.

Just watched "Apollo 13" again, another one of his.

I am a dreamer of words, of written words. I think I am reading; a word stops me. I leave the page. The syllables of the words begin to move around … The words take on other meanings as if they had the right to be young.

-- Gaston Bachelard

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

cats16
Half-elven

Feb 26 2017, 9:42pm

Post #4 of 11 (520 views)
Shortcut
Saw the news this morning. [In reply to] Can't Post

Will have to give Twister another look sometime soon. He had a reputation for being the nicest, friendliest person around Hollywood.

Far too young...

Join us every weekend in the Hobbit movie forum for this week's CHOW (Chapter of the Week) discussion!

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Feb 27 2017, 12:14am

Post #5 of 11 (505 views)
Shortcut
This is so upsetting. [In reply to] Can't Post

Weird Science (where I first saw him)
True Lies
Twister
Apollo 13
U-571
The documentary on The Titanic with James Cameron "Ghosts of the Abyss"
So many more...

And I really love the film he directed based on the true story of young, non-professional golfer Francis Ouimet who won the 1913 U.S. Open called "The Greatest Game Ever Played"... where his love of The Beatles shows in an homage during the opening credits and throughout the film. His son even has a cameo in it. It's a really well-done movie and one I watch all the time.

Rest in peace... and prayers for his family, friends and fans. Wow...

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observations List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observations List - May 15, 2014

5th draft of TH:BotFA Geeky Observations List - January 30, 2015

TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Feb 27 2017, 6:04am

Post #6 of 11 (482 views)
Shortcut
Check out "One False Move" (1992). [In reply to] Can't Post

Probably his best performance and best film.

He's also excellent in the even darker Frailty (2001).

There are four lights.

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
Discuss Tolkien's life and works in the Reading Room!
+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=
How to find old Reading Room discussions.

Starling
Half-elven

Feb 27 2017, 6:07am

Post #7 of 11 (482 views)
Shortcut
Big Love [In reply to] Can't Post

was my favourite role of his.

the 13th warrior
Rivendell

Feb 27 2017, 6:37am

Post #8 of 11 (479 views)
Shortcut
Let's not forget Bill in Aliens w/Newt, and also Titanic.... [In reply to] Can't Post

Hello 0-S, nice idea. Bill Paxton was always rock solid, believable and had a humorous edge to his performances. Great quote from Aliens picked by you. I'll throw in the one when Ripley tells everyone that if Newt the little girl survived the aliens, so can they and Paxton says, "Ok put her in charge...."

I will toss in a curveball that his support role as the tycoon explorer in Titanic was one of my faves. In a way he drives and sets up the story, and gives it a spine, a through line: the salvage operation, discovery of the Rose Dawson picture, the connection to the real Rose, his learning about her and her story and Jack. There's a great contrast between his disappointment that the safe he salvages has nothing and then discovering the picture and a fantastic hidden story of the night to remember. He went after one treasure and found another: "Rose Dawson you are my new best friend...."

Farewell Mr. Paxton, you will be missed.....

The 13th Warrior, Left Field Caliphate
"From the scroll rooms of Gondor....."

Starling
Half-elven

Feb 27 2017, 8:12am

Post #9 of 11 (467 views)
Shortcut
Oh, and 'A Simple Plan'. // [In reply to] Can't Post

Annael
Immortal

Feb 27 2017, 5:37pm

Post #10 of 11 (443 views)
Shortcut
touching when Jennifer Aniston started crying when [In reply to] Can't Post

she added his name to the list of people they mourned at the Oscars.

I am a dreamer of words, of written words. I think I am reading; a word stops me. I leave the page. The syllables of the words begin to move around … The words take on other meanings as if they had the right to be young.

-- Gaston Bachelard

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Yngwulff
Gondor

Feb 28 2017, 3:48am

Post #11 of 11 (424 views)
Shortcut
RIP - Tombstone [In reply to] Can't Post

Remember what I said about people seein' a bright light before they die? It ain't true. I can't see a damn thing.

“I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.”

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.