Let's go to the Movies --- Allegiance with George Takei
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Meneldor
Valinor

Mar 1 2017, 1:19am

Post #26 of 37 (468 views)
Shortcut
Hidden Figures [In reply to] Can't Post

I laughed, I cried (well, I got a big lump in my throat), I loved those women.

I wish they hadn't dumbed down the science so much. It took me right out of the scene when they were explaining what orbit is to NASA rocket scientists. They wouldn't be there if they didn't understand orbits.

That's just a minor nitpick; it's a great film.

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters, these see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep. -Psalm 107

sevilodorf
Tol Eressea

Mar 1 2017, 5:01am

Post #27 of 37 (459 views)
Shortcut
Passengers... spoilers galore [In reply to] Can't Post

It reached the $1.49 (I kid you not.... why not $1.50) theater so I went....

If you just allow yourself to go with it instead of asking some pretty basic questions (there aren't ANY emergency protocols from waking the crew when a cascade of failures occur.... that's taking autopilot a bit far.... wouldn't a set of rotating hibernating crew make more sense.... and wouldn't that have worked for Auroro and Jim (both awake, one asleep, the other asleep, both awake... and wouldn't planting a forest in the ship have some drastic effects on the life support protocols....) then it's not a bad movie.

Not great but not bad either.. though I might have gone ahead and bashed him up the side of the head with that crowbar....she showed a great deal of restraint...... I gather it was expected to do better at the box office.

Fourth Age Adventures at the Inn of the Burping Troll http://burpingtroll.com
Home of TheOneRing.net Best FanFic stories of 2005 and 2006 "The Last Grey Ship" and "Ashes, East Wind, Hope That Rises" by Erin Rua

(Found in Mathoms, LOTR Tales Untold)

Annael
Immortal

Mar 1 2017, 5:50pm

Post #28 of 37 (438 views)
Shortcut
apparently he DID [In reply to] Can't Post

he said to Faye, "It says Emma Stone" and she grabbed it and read out the next line, which was "La La Land."

I am a dreamer of words, of written words. I think I am reading; a word stops me. I leave the page. The syllables of the words begin to move around … The words take on other meanings as if they had the right to be young.

-- Gaston Bachelard

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Mar 1 2017, 6:12pm

Post #29 of 37 (428 views)
Shortcut
Yes, I read that too [In reply to] Can't Post

I meant why didn't he say "I think we have the wrong envelope". She obviously didn't read the whole 2 lines of text on the card.

I deal in fast-moving data all the time. Decisions are made quickly after scanning all the information to which I have access. I'm not up in front of hundreds (and millions on TV) though. The outer envelope said, "Best Actress". I guess I just thought that if I'm handed something I would check quickly to see what it was or after seeing that it was a mistake on stage would say, "It's the wrong envelope".

_

Heed WBA when building blanket forts.
ITLs don't get enough FAS. :)

Where there's life there's hope, and need of vittles.
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 1 2017, 7:43pm

Post #30 of 37 (423 views)
Shortcut
I guess it's one of those times when a person sees what they expect to see. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Faye's case, she saw a movie name and read it out - and didn't notice the extra text.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Mar 1 2017, 10:35pm

Post #31 of 37 (413 views)
Shortcut
I have heard the recording of him saying that. [In reply to] Can't Post

But in the video I saw, he only said it after she announced the "winner".

And you can hear her reply sharply, "What?!"

Surprised no one has cut a video yet of the mix-up with "Foggy Mountain Breakdown" playing underneath.

There are four lights.

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
Discuss Tolkien's life and works in the Reading Room!
+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=
How to find old Reading Room discussions.

Meneldor
Valinor

Mar 1 2017, 11:39pm

Post #32 of 37 (405 views)
Shortcut
Please, someone make that happen! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

Surprised no one has cut a video yet of the mix-up with "Foggy Mountain Breakdown" playing underneath.

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters, these see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep. -Psalm 107

sevilodorf
Tol Eressea

Mar 3 2017, 1:17am

Post #33 of 37 (373 views)
Shortcut
Patriots Day -- [In reply to] Can't Post

This was a hard one to watch.

By all accounts except for Wahlberg's character being a composite everything is pretty accurate... a bit of fudging on how involved Tsarnaev's wife was (she's never been convicted of anything) and some extra juice in the Watertown explosions are the primary points that got Hollywoodized.

I remember this event.... coming so soon after Newtown and Aurora it was hard. It's hard to watch. They do a bit of blending of actual CCTV with the film.

There's several segments at the end with the real people speaking about the event and the aftermath.

While in a second run theater on a Wednesday night (about 20 people) the audience reacted with applause and gasps of horror and the occasional quiet sob. The film didn't do well financially -- maybe it's just too soon.

Fourth Age Adventures at the Inn of the Burping Troll http://burpingtroll.com
Home of TheOneRing.net Best FanFic stories of 2005 and 2006 "The Last Grey Ship" and "Ashes, East Wind, Hope That Rises" by Erin Rua

(Found in Mathoms, LOTR Tales Untold)

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 3 2017, 2:38am

Post #34 of 37 (366 views)
Shortcut
I pondered going to see it...then realized I couldn't. [In reply to] Can't Post

It's just too close. And I can remember all the details. I didn't want to re-live it. Unsure

I think you're right, that may be the biggest reason why audiences are staying away.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Elarie
Grey Havens

Mar 3 2017, 10:01pm

Post #35 of 37 (345 views)
Shortcut
Logan [In reply to] Can't Post

I went to this because of the good reviews, and obviously a lot of people are enjoying this movie, but I was disappointed. IMO it was just a 2 hour slasher movie with almost no plot. Patrick Stewart, though, was fantastic, so I am glad I got to see his superb acting in this role.

Gold is the strife of kinsmen,
and fire of the flood-tide,
and the path of the serpent.

Old Toby
Grey Havens

Mar 5 2017, 6:23pm

Post #36 of 37 (318 views)
Shortcut
Allegiance [In reply to] Can't Post

Living in Hawaii, this subject is very close to the hearts of many. This is a show that should be shown everywhere. The three screenings of this film were all sold out within days. There is an internment camp on this island, at Honouliuli. A friend of mine was born in an internment camp. Racism, ignorance and fear go hand in hand folks. And it seems that it's again on the rise in this country. Beware. This could happen again.

"Age is always advancing and I'm fairly sure it's up to no good." Harry Dresden (Jim Butcher)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Mar 7 2017, 2:22pm

Post #37 of 37 (286 views)
Shortcut
Manchester By The Sea (no spoilers) [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm a big Casey Affleck fan, and I know this film won awards and is very well done... but, for me, it's one of the most depressing films I've seen in a very long time. I'm still haunted by some of the segments. I admit to being a light-weight to "dramatic" films; but on a personal level, this one is disturbing and leaves me with a heavy heart.

Rats!

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observations List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observations List - May 15, 2014

5th draft of TH:BotFA Geeky Observations List - January 30, 2015

TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.