Top 3 things Tolkien would change if starting LOTR today
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Darkstone
Immortal

Feb 27 2017, 8:54pm

Post #26 of 27 (625 views)
Shortcut
Beowulf the Eternal [In reply to] Can't Post

Not in a "Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure" sense where historical features amusingly interact with modern culture...

I think that is precisely the type of "vulgarization" he would object to.

It seems to me that on the whole, he would feel that his own work is justified in being what it is -- and that it contains the right mix of characters, because in essence that's how the story wrote itself (in his mind). So not that Tolkien would downplay its importance, but rather just not see it as applicable in this particular case.

Yes. One of his templates seems to be Beowulf as many of its beats can be seen in The Hobbit and LOTR. And though it doesn't pass the Bechdel Test, there are several important, influential, and named females in Beowulf.

“Begone, foul dwimmerlaik, lord of carrion! Leave the dead in peace!"
"Come not between the Nazgul and his prey! Or he will not slay thee in thy turn. He will bear thee away to the houses of lamentation, beyond all darkness, where thy flesh shall be devoured, and thy shrivelled mind be left naked to the Lidless Eye."
"Do what you will; but I will hinder it, if I may."
"Hinder me? Thou fool. No living man may hinder me!"
"But no living man am I! I am Eowyn, daughter of Theodwyn!”
"Er, really? My mother's name was Theodwyn, too!"
"No way!"
"Way!"
"Wow! Let's stop fighting and be best friends!"
"Cool!!"

-Zack Snyder's The Return of the King

Hamfast Gamgee
Tol Eressea

Feb 28 2017, 12:23am

Post #27 of 27 (613 views)
Shortcut
Tolkien does seem to have included more women in the Silm [In reply to] Can't Post

Maybe not so much in the battles, but many of the important characters in the Silm are female. Melian, Galadriel, Luthien, Elwing etc. In fact in the tale of Beren and Luthien, I think that Luthien does most of the work!

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.