Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Legends of Tomorrow season finale to feature JRR Tolkien
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Feb 22 2017, 12:26am

Post #1 of 32 (1717 views)
Shortcut
Legends of Tomorrow season finale to feature JRR Tolkien Can't Post

Posted at Comic Book Resources:

If you’ve been wondering how in the world the CW’s time traveling superhero show “Legends of Tomorrow” could top including George Lucas in an episode, you’ve just been given an answer. According to a cast list for the upcoming season two finale, the show will soon include the man who created Middle-earth: J.R.R. Tolkien.

Executive producer Marc Guggenheim shared a cast list for the season finale episode, titled “Aruba,” on Twitter. The cast list includes all the usual suspects, like the “Legends” team and the members of the Legion of Doom. It also includes a surprise guest star: J.R.R. Tolkien, played by Jack Turner (Freeform’s “Stitchers”).

More: http://www.cbr.com/...omorrow-jrr-tolkien/

"He who lies artistically, treads closer to the truth than ever he knows." -- Favorite proverb of the wizard Ningauble of the Seven Eyes

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Feb 22 2017, 11:53am

Post #2 of 32 (1643 views)
Shortcut
I definitely want to check that out! [In reply to] Can't Post

I hope it's a channel I can get on my satelite! THANKS! :D

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observations List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observations List - May 15, 2014

5th draft of TH:BotFA Geeky Observations List - January 30, 2015

TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Feb 22 2017, 2:17pm

Post #3 of 32 (1630 views)
Shortcut
The CW Network [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I hope it's a channel I can get on my satelite! THANKS! :D

Legends of Tomorrow should air on your local The CW channel on Tuesdays after The Flash. You can catch old episodes using the The CW app or if you have an On Demand service from your local provider. Last night saw the Legends visit Camelot (while on The Flash, Team Flash visited Gorilla City on Earth-2 to rescue a friend).

"He who lies artistically, treads closer to the truth than ever he knows." -- Favorite proverb of the wizard Ningauble of the Seven Eyes

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Feb 22 2017, 11:48pm

Post #4 of 32 (1605 views)
Shortcut
By jove! I think I got it! [In reply to] Can't Post

I went through all my channels in my package and found I DO have the CW channel! I didn't have it activated *shakes head in disbelief* I'm all set for Tuesday! Although, it does clash with the new show of one of my favourites on HGTV... Fixer Upper! "It's DEMO DAY!!!!"

I'm also impressed with the Legend's cast.

Brandon Routh (Superman) and

Dominic Purcell; and

sample

TIME Google Calendar

(This post was edited by grammaboodawg on Feb 22 2017, 11:59pm)

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Feb 22 2017, 11:54pm

Post #5 of 32 (1613 views)
Shortcut
Nice. [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't know off-hand on what date the season finale will air though I see that the CBR article says April 4. Here's the most recent story I've seen on it: https://www.bleedingcool.com/...orrow-season-finale/.

Apparently this will be a young J.R.R. Tolkien. Image of Jack Turner:

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Feb 23 2017, 12:05am)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Feb 23 2017, 12:01am

Post #6 of 32 (1597 views)
Shortcut
CHECK! [In reply to] Can't Post

I noticed it changed from the original date, so I'll just have to be sure to keep checking :D

sample

TIME Google Calendar

wizzardly
Rohan

Feb 23 2017, 11:53pm

Post #7 of 32 (1554 views)
Shortcut
Nope... [In reply to] Can't Post

Looks nothing at all like him.

"Tolkien has become a monster, devoured by his own popularity and absorbed into the absurdity of our time." -Christopher Tolkien

squire
Half-elven

Feb 24 2017, 12:40am

Post #8 of 32 (1564 views)
Shortcut
Close enough, I guess [In reply to] Can't Post

Make up can do wonders. It might work. I think a young actor today would have to work really hard to capture how a 20-ish Edwardian intellectual carries himself and expresses himself. Hopefully the director will have a clue, but I don't suppose this is really about the period anyway.

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Archive: All the TORn Reading Room Book Discussions (including the 1st BotR Discussion!) and Footerama: "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
Dr. Squire introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Feb 24 2017, 4:06am

Post #9 of 32 (1522 views)
Shortcut
oooo.... great likeness! // [In reply to] Can't Post

sample

TIME Google Calendar

wizzardly
Rohan

Feb 24 2017, 1:08pm

Post #10 of 32 (1512 views)
Shortcut
More hollywood drek... [In reply to] Can't Post

That's the problem with this modern-day hollywood mindset...they see Tolkien and automatically think Abercrombie and Fitch model. I've never seen it, but I'll assume its a show geared towards a female audience.

"Tolkien has become a monster, devoured by his own popularity and absorbed into the absurdity of our time." -Christopher Tolkien

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Feb 24 2017, 2:09pm

Post #11 of 32 (1501 views)
Shortcut
Demographics [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
That's the problem with this modern-day hollywood mindset...they see Tolkien and automatically think Abercrombie and Fitch model. I've never seen it, but I'll assume its a show geared towards a female audience.

No more so than any of the other DC Comics-based super-hero shows that air on The CW.

OldestDaughter
Rohan

Feb 24 2017, 3:41pm

Post #12 of 32 (1488 views)
Shortcut
Haven't seen this show yet, but that is so cool! [In reply to] Can't Post

I believe its currently on Netflix, so eventually I should catch up and see it!

"Keen, heart-piercing was her song as the song of the lark that rises from the gates of night and pours its voice among the dying stars, seeing the sun behind the walls of the world; and the song of Lúthien released the bonds of winter, and the frozen waters spoke, and flowers sprang from the cold earth where her feet had passed."

ange1e4e5
Rohan

Mar 10 2017, 4:59pm

Post #13 of 32 (1303 views)
Shortcut
Define Abercrombie and Fitch model. And what does it matter if it's geared toward a female audience? [In reply to] Can't Post

I always follow my job through.

(This post was edited by ange1e4e5 on Mar 10 2017, 5:00pm)

wizzardly
Rohan

Mar 11 2017, 3:19pm

Post #14 of 32 (1287 views)
Shortcut
Sure... [In reply to] Can't Post

An Abercrombie and Fitch model is someone who is hired by the clothing company Abercrombie and Fitch to model their clothing line for the purposes of marketing and advertising. As to your second question, I suppose it matters if you happen to be female and flipping through the channels for something to watch and to the network executives who are trying to reach the largest possible demographic in aims to achieve the highest possible ratings and ad revenue. In my opinion, I feel they are barking up the wrong tree in utilising Tolkien in this manner, as I personally place his literature in an altogether different category than say 50 Shades of Grey and Twilight.

ange1e4e5
Rohan

Mar 11 2017, 9:10pm

Post #15 of 32 (1255 views)
Shortcut
So what demographic does Tolkien fall into? [In reply to] Can't Post

wizzardly
Rohan

Mar 11 2017, 9:55pm

Post #16 of 32 (1248 views)
Shortcut
That depends... [In reply to] Can't Post

are we talking about Tolkien the author, or Tolkien as envisioned by PJ and modern popular culture?

ange1e4e5
Rohan

Mar 11 2017, 9:57pm

Post #17 of 32 (1248 views)
Shortcut
Strange. I thought Tolkien counted among modern popular culture, i.e. last fifty years. [In reply to] Can't Post

(This post was edited by ange1e4e5 on Mar 11 2017, 10:04pm)

wizzardly
Rohan

Mar 11 2017, 10:09pm

Post #18 of 32 (1243 views)
Shortcut
I suppose that depends how one defines modern popular culture... [In reply to] Can't Post

being that fashions tend to change so rapidly these days, I'd put it at no more than 15-20 years tops.

squire
Half-elven

Mar 11 2017, 10:49pm

Post #19 of 32 (1235 views)
Shortcut
Don't you think Tolkien is large enough to encompass multitudes? [In reply to] Can't Post

His lifework of producing a legendarium that ranges, as he put it, "from the large and cosmogonic, to the level of romantic fairy-story" leaves any of his immensely ambitious books open to a wide spectrum of audiences, interpretations, and adaptations. Tolkien may have said he was appalled by popular culture's misinterpretations of his writing even in his own time, yet after all he admitted to writing a long and engaging tale that would be just plain fun to read. And although the Silmarillion never saw print in his lifetime, he demonstrably was using what he'd learned about tale-telling with his hobbit books to revise even the Sil tales to make them more accessible and novelistic, and less mythic and distant.

I agree (with you, I think, if I understand your comments) that the films emphasized the pop-culture feel-good romanticism of the questing band that triumphs over evil, rather than the more complex and pessimistic "you do what's right and then you die" northern fatalism that is arguably at the moral core of his major epics. But that doesn't mean the executives who made the films, or those who here are promoting a sexy young actor to play the writer himself, are "barking up the wrong tree". They're just barking up one of the trees, and missing a large number of other trees.

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Archive: All the TORn Reading Room Book Discussions (including the 1st BotR Discussion!) and Footerama: "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"

wizzardly
Rohan

Mar 11 2017, 11:24pm

Post #20 of 32 (1225 views)
Shortcut
Yes... [In reply to] Can't Post

I believe Tolkien is certainly large enough to encompass many multitudes, but perhaps not as much as could be had with a bit of tweaking here and there. And in the world of mainstream pop-culture entertainment, multitudes equals money, so I understand why things are the way they are. I don't have to like it, but here we are.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Mar 18 2017, 6:46pm

Post #21 of 32 (1116 views)
Shortcut
Airdate: 4/4/2017 [In reply to] Can't Post

DC's Legends of Tomorrow season finale "Aruba" will air in the U.S. on The CW on April 4, 2017 at 8:00 p.m. Eastern Time. The CW has released the synopsis of the episode:

“Aruba” — (8:00-9:00 p.m. ET) (Content Rating TBD) (HDTV) SEASON FINALE — As the Legends are about to take off for their next destination, a massive timequake rocks the ship. In order to try and fix what has happened, they are forced to break the one cardinal rule of time travel. But if they are able to destroy the spear, they will face the ultimate consequence. Victor Garber, Brandon Routh, Arthur Darvill, Caity Lotz, Dominic Purcell, Franz Drameh, Nick Zano and Maisie Richardson-Sellers. Rob Seidenglanz directed the episode written by Phil Klemmer & Marc Guggenheim (#217). Original airdate 4/4/2017.”

The synopsis does not mention the appearance of J.R.R. Tolkien as portrayed by actor Jack Turner, so this might not be a major element of the story.

Link: http://www.cbr.com/...son-finale-synopsis/

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Mar 18 2017, 6:47pm)

squire
Half-elven

Mar 18 2017, 7:00pm

Post #22 of 32 (1113 views)
Shortcut
What is the "one cardinal rule of time travel"? [In reply to] Can't Post

Is that an understood thing in sci fi?

And does breaking it have any real consequences besides heightening the drama of a single episode?

squire online:

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Mar 18 2017, 8:31pm

Post #23 of 32 (1103 views)
Shortcut
The Fellowship of the Spear [In reply to] Can't Post

It seems that two episodes of Legends of Tomorrow might have been conflated. Tolkien first appears as a character on the show on the March 21 episode, "Fellowship of the Spear."

"The Legends must devise a plan to retrieve the last remaining fragments of the Spear of Destiny from the Legion of Doom. They find themselves in France at the height of World War I, faced with the knowledge that they must destroy the mystical object. They enlist the help of a soldier by the name of John Ronald Reuel Tolkin (guest-star Jack Turner) and find that the Spear is leading them into the heart of the war. Meanwhile, the team must all resist the temptation of the Spear, and the return of a former teammate."

Ben Bray directed the episode, written by Keto Shimizu and Matthew Maala.

Link: http://www.comicscontinuum.com/.../1703/18/legends.htm

Perhaps he appears in the finale as well.

In Reply To
Is that an understood thing in sci fi?

And does breaking it have any real consequences besides heightening the drama of a single episode?

If I remember correctly (and I could be wrong), the cardinal rule is something along the lines of "Do Not Alter the Past." Which should be a no-brainer really.

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Mar 18 2017, 8:32pm)

squire
Half-elven

Mar 18 2017, 10:46pm

Post #24 of 32 (1097 views)
Shortcut
It sounds like the goal is to suggest that the idea for the One Ring came to Tolkien via this 'Spear' adventure [In reply to] Can't Post

which is a perfectly acceptable and conventional plot in the time travel game.

'Do not alter the past' is a hard rule to break, because you will never know if you did!

squire online:

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Mar 18 2017, 10:55pm

Post #25 of 32 (1092 views)
Shortcut
The One Spear [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
It sounds like the goal is to suggest that the idea for the One Ring came to Tolkien via this 'Spear' adventure

Especially since the Spear of Destiny is meant to be a major relic: the spear that was used to pierce the side of Christ. It might also have been used to inspire George Lucas to create Indiana Jones if the Legends had not already visited Lucas to make sure that Star Wars got made.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.