The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
I was wrong about AUJ

VeArkenstone
Lorien

Feb 21 2017, 10:57pm

Post #1 of 11 (4331 views)
Shortcut
I was wrong about AUJ Can't Post

I recently insinuated that I was not all that fond of AUJ, and that DOS was my favorite film of TH trilogy. I just watched the extended version of AUJ again after two years. I still do not understand how I could have forgotten how much I love this movie. For the record, here are my favorite scenes and highlights:

The histories of Dale, Erebor, The Shire, and the Dwarf-Orc battle sequences. These are so well done. Dale and the Dwarf-Orc battles have a dreamlike quality.

Thrandiul's arrival at Erebor, and the necklace.

Smaug and the loss of Erebor.

The clothes worn by Thorin and Balin at Erebor on the day that Smaug came. Wow!

Thorin and Dis at the Blue Mountains. If you look closely at the Dwarves following Thorin, the first one is a female. I just know in my heart this is Dis!

Thorin's arrival at the unexpected party. If I am watching this with other people, no one is allowed to talk during this scene.

Dwarf Songs. The books are filled with them and I am so glad that Peter brought a few of them to life.

"You've been sitting quietly for far too long" and "... and the game of Golf invented at the same time" (this was not a made up story).

My favorite aerial shot in all of the six movies: Bilbo running through the Shire trying to catch the Dwarves, dodging chickens (or, rather, chickens dodging him), the contract flying in the wind, with those neat looking trees in the foreground.

Thorin respectfully acknowledges his Kingship.

The stoneface at the abandoned farmer's house.

Rivendell, my favorite Elfish city. I could not help but notice that Elrond rode a black horse while the other Elfs rode white horses. Very unusual for an Elf, but then, he is a very unusual Elf!

Elrond reads the Moon Runes on a mid-summer's eve by the light of a crescent Moon.

The Dwarves bathing in the sacred fountain.

Galadriel shows Gandalf how much she cares for him and promises to help him whenever he should need it.

My very favorite scene sequence from all six of the movies:: Thorin faces his fear of Azog head-on, and the Eagles rescue the Dwarves and Gandalf. You can see in Thorin's face that moment when he conquers his fear of Azog and decides he must face him. It feels like he is running through hell to meet him, and he is. The Eagles rescue is an incredible scene, and includes my very favorite scene of all time: Thorin being picked- up by the Eagle, with his hair flying in the wind, no one knowing if he is dead or alive.. I love Howard Shore's music in this whole sequence, it is amazing.

This film has a great flow, the acting is of such a high caliber, and none of these movies would be the same movie without Howard Shore's unique take on Middle Earth (I am a big fan of his in case you have not noticed).

Just sign me,

Still a fan in the Midwest

Please, call me Ve.

(This post was edited by VeArkenstone on Feb 21 2017, 11:03pm)

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Feb 22 2017, 1:15am

Post #2 of 11 (4266 views)
Shortcut
I completely understand [In reply to] Can't Post

I can't really decide which I like better between AUJ and DOS. I like them both for entirely different reasons. AUJ takes its time telling the story, which some people complain about; whereas DOS is totally action-packed and moves very quickly. AUJ is definitely closest to the book. My favorite extended scene is probably Bofur's table dance, followed (very closely) by Thorin overhearing Elrond talking about the "strain of madness" in his family. I also love the Trollshaws scene, pretty much all of it - especially Fili & Kili talking Bilbo into trying to rescue the horses: "It's perfectly safe, we'll be right behind you!" "If you run into trouble, hoot twice like a barn owl...."

But of course, Thorin singing is oh, just so mesmerising...hey, I'm not biased, lots of ladies feel that way!

I'd say I've entered my second childhood, but I never left the first!

dormouse
Half-elven

Feb 22 2017, 8:43am

Post #3 of 11 (4233 views)
Shortcut
Nice! And the best thing of all is..... [In reply to] Can't Post

...you don't have to choose between the films. You can just like them all, for different reasons, different scenes, different performances, different pieces of music - whatever catches your imagination and takes you out of here and now and into that enchanted space.

Cheers! I enjoyed reading your moments from the film.

For still there are so many things
that I have never seen:
in every wood and every spring
there is a different green. . .

Noria
Gondor

Feb 22 2017, 12:44pm

Post #4 of 11 (4206 views)
Shortcut
You're allowed to change your mind, and then change it again if you feel like it [In reply to] Can't Post

My favourite movie of both trilogys is usually the one I'm watching as it draws me in and I feel the feels, see the sights and hear the wonderful scores. The same goes for the soundtracks, though overall I do prefer LotR's music.

I go back and forth about which of AUJ and DOS is my favourite of The Hobbit trilogy, though DOS usually wins by a hair because many things in it surprised me. I like that.

That's why I rarely participate in posts asking us to rank the movies. I love them all.

Nuradar
Rohan

Feb 24 2017, 4:46pm

Post #5 of 11 (4045 views)
Shortcut
Well stated dormouse! [In reply to] Can't Post

Nuradar
Rohan

Feb 24 2017, 4:49pm

Post #6 of 11 (4045 views)
Shortcut
all great reasons to love this movie [In reply to] Can't Post

I really like your list! And dormouse is right, you can love them all equally, and for different reasons. Items from you list that I also love:

- the histories of Dale and Erebor (the prologue). Just perfect.

- the aerial shot of Bilbo running through the Shire. Beautiful and exciting.

- Thorin v. Azog was, indeed, exciting, although a big short :) But the Eagles rescue right after was stunning.

VeArkenstone
Lorien

Feb 28 2017, 5:38pm

Post #7 of 11 (3794 views)
Shortcut
Kali, I love all of the scenes that you mention as well ! [In reply to] Can't Post

My favoriate Dwarf song is at Bilbo's house, Thorin singing with his hand over his heart, Gandalf listening from a side room and Bilbo listening from his bed chambers, all night long. So many wow moments for me in this movie. Luv the pic!

VeArkenstone
Lorien

Feb 28 2017, 5:44pm

Post #8 of 11 (3791 views)
Shortcut
dormouse, you summed this up perfectly, I couldn't agree more! [In reply to] Can't Post

VeArkenstone
Lorien

Feb 28 2017, 6:12pm

Post #9 of 11 (3780 views)
Shortcut
Noria, I think FoTR is my favorite soundtrack, followed closely by AUJ. [In reply to] Can't Post

After not seeing AUJ for so long it really wowed me, like coming back to a place that I forgotten I had loved. When I watch DOS again soon I know it will have the affect on me. I have not watched the LoTR Triligy for at least 5 years, except for FoTR which I caught on T.V. a few times, I am going to take some time over the next few weeks to watch those again. I am probably going to wowing all over the place soon, so be prepared!

Please, call me Ve.

VeArkenstone
Lorien

Feb 28 2017, 6:26pm

Post #10 of 11 (3781 views)
Shortcut
Nurador, if the Thorin v. Azog scene had been longer, [In reply to] Can't Post

it would not have hurt my feelings one bit. One of my favorite highlights of the Eagles rescue is as the Eagles are soaring down the side of a mountain after rescuing the Company, at one point Thorin's hand just grazes the green grass. There are so many little things in these movies that I think are so neat!

Please, call me Ve.

DainPig
Gondor

Mar 10 2017, 4:07pm

Post #11 of 11 (3530 views)
Shortcut
It is a gret film, certainly. [In reply to] Can't Post

Unfortunaly the two sequences didn't followed the same line and there they are.

(This post was edited by DainPig on Mar 10 2017, 4:09pm)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.