No
View Results (34 votes)

Ardamírë
Valinor

Feb 18 2017, 6:25pm

Post #1 of 24 (5346 views)
Shortcut
Fall of Gondolin standalone Can't Post

With the publication of Beren and Luthien later this year, two of the three Great Tales will have been given their own standalone books. That leaves only The Fall of Gondolin out in the cold. The question of the poll is simply this: do you think The Fall of Gondolin will be published as an independent book?

For myself, the answer is a resounding yes! Tolkien's attempt in the 1950s to rewrite his original tale is a breathtaking adventure, and even Christopher states that its abandonment is one of the "saddest" in all his father's works. I would like to see it published alongside the original tale. Or even as a cohesive story edited by Christopher to bring it into harmony with the 1950s rewrite. I don't think it would be that difficult, and the chance for the general public to have easy access to the brilliant account of Gondolin's fall would well be worth it. The detail and narrative urgency in that original tale is wonderful and should see a broader audience than what it has. After all, The Silmarillion and even The Children of Hurin have a degree of editorial alteration (necessarily), so this wouldn't be any different. Of course, the chapter "Of Maeglin" would have to be included as it was expressly written to stand with this story.

At the very least, a HoME-lite approach would interest me. Perhaps give first the entire original story and then the rewrite and 'Maeglin'. That way the story is at least all within one book and quite approachable. And it would demonstrate that Tolkien did care about this story more than just the seven pages most people know about it from The Silmarillion.

Anyway, my fingers are crossed, and I see no reason why it couldn't and won't be done if Beren and Luthien can Smile. I expect its publication in the next year or two.

(This post was edited by Ardamírë on Feb 18 2017, 6:26pm)

ange1e4e5
Gondor

Feb 18 2017, 6:40pm

Post #2 of 24 (5283 views)
Shortcut
Yes. I'd like to read an independent Fall of Gondolin. [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd also watch a film version.

malickfan
Gondor

Feb 18 2017, 7:01pm

Post #3 of 24 (5284 views)
Shortcut
No. [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't think a stand alone Gondolin book will be published because unlike Beren and Luthien or The Children of Hurin there isn't multiple developed or finished versions for Christoper Tolkien to draw on to complete a story or pad out a book long enough, the former seems like it will be more an anthology collecting the various versions of the story with commentary, and the latter was a completed narrative stitched together with the occasional invented paragraph or sentence, the existing Gondolin material doesn't seem extensive or linked enough to merit publication in a separate volume without huge edits or wholesale invention. Christopher Tolkien's approach to his father's writing has always been more about presenting his fathers writing faithfully in its own words rather than rewriting or creating new material for new stories, a Fall of Gondolin novel would involve a lot of new writing and be more the work of the son than the father and I'm not sure I'd be comfortable with effectively new stories set in Middle Earth purely to fill in a gap on the market, it just seems slightly cynically commercial.

Tolkien's 1950's rewrite is arguably one of his finest pieces of writing and it is a tragedy he abandoned it so early, as much as I'd probably enjoy an expanded novelization of the story, it wouldn't be the story Tolkien senior would have written, and it isn't really necessary or likely to happen i.m.o.

Some things are best left to the imagination.

I'd much rather see expanded editions of Artist and Illustrator or The Letters Of JRR Tolkien or a collected volume of Tolkien's unpublished poetry (there is still a large amount of unpublished writing) as then we'd get genuinely new and exciting material.

(This post was edited by malickfan on Feb 18 2017, 7:04pm)

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Feb 18 2017, 9:20pm

Post #4 of 24 (5262 views)
Shortcut
Sure. [In reply to] Can't Post

I would be all for an attempt at a novel of the Fall of Gondolin; though I'm not sure why the Fall of Doriath is not also accounted one of the Great Tales.

dormouse
Half-elven

Feb 19 2017, 9:40am

Post #5 of 24 (5241 views)
Shortcut
I can't vote on this..... [In reply to] Can't Post

...because you didn't leave an 'I wish' button.

Of the Great Tales, this is the one I most want to see and always has been - and as we have the Children of Hurin as a completed story now and are awaiting Beren and Luthien I think it has to be a real possibility, if only as a compilation of the existing texts. I agree with everything you say and I really want that book. But will it happen? Who knows.... I can't imagine that the idea of the third book hasn't occurred to anyone at Harper Collins or to Christopher Tolkien himself. They seem to be working on a long-term plan of new books and new editions. I suppose one question we have to ask is whether there is anyone in the Tolkien estate - Adam Tolkien, maybe - who will take over Christopher's role if a time comes when he feels unable to do it.

So my vote is 'I don't know' but yes please, and I'll join you in crossing fingers!

Ardamírë
Valinor

Feb 20 2017, 6:05pm

Post #6 of 24 (5162 views)
Shortcut
My second option [In reply to] Can't Post

Was for the story to get an independent publication by just putting the original story, the 1950s rewrite, and the Maeglin chapter altogether in one book. Since that appears to be the approach being taken with Beren and Lúthien, I think it highly likely the same will be done with this. Commentaries to go along with each would be quite welcome.

But I'm also of the opinion that Christopher could easily put together a "completed" version with no more editorial intervention than he did for The Children of Hurin. Just because there's less writings doesn't make that impossible. That doesn't mean you'd be interested in such a thing, and I agree that it wouldn't be "pure" Tolkien. But to me, updating the names, deleting references to multitudes of Balrogs, and changing Idril's escape route from south to north are not edits that I'd at all be upset about.

But different strokes for different folks, and there's no right answer Smile

Ardamírë
Valinor

Feb 20 2017, 6:08pm

Post #7 of 24 (5159 views)
Shortcut
The Fall of Doriath [In reply to] Can't Post

I've often wondered this myself. What is it exactly about the three "greats" that make them so? Surely Earendil would be counted among them if Tolkien had ever written that out on an ample scale. And the Wanderings of Hurin were obviously supposed to lead into a full-scale telling of the Ruin of Doriath and the second kinslaying. So that's five. I really can't say why he only focused on three of them.

Ardamírë
Valinor

Feb 20 2017, 6:14pm

Post #8 of 24 (5159 views)
Shortcut
The third book [In reply to] Can't Post

Christopher's introduction to The Children of Hurin goes out of its way to explain that Tolkien had three great tales. After insisting that only The Children of Hurin was fit to be published independently, I always assumed that's how it would stand. Yet here we have Beren and Lúthien getting its own book, and within Christopher's lifetime. So it's not as though some new runner of the estate has done this. I can only believe that Christopher intends to do, before he passes, what his father never did - present the long stories of these three tales.

Of course, time will tell, and I could be wrong. But right now I find it far more likely to happen than to not.

dormouse
Half-elven

Feb 20 2017, 6:49pm

Post #9 of 24 (5149 views)
Shortcut
I really hope you're right.... [In reply to] Can't Post

As you say, Beren and Luthien brings the possibility a lot closer. And I'm in there, crossing fingers with you!

ange1e4e5
Gondor

Mar 15 2017, 10:01pm

Post #10 of 24 (4948 views)
Shortcut
I even have the beginnings of who I'd like to see as part of the cast. [In reply to] Can't Post

Examples:

William Moseley as Tuor
Lily James as Idril
Freddie Highmore as Maeglin

Annael
Immortal

Mar 18 2017, 2:37pm

Post #11 of 24 (4920 views)
Shortcut
casting possible movies [In reply to] Can't Post

one of my favorite things to do Laugh

ange1e4e5
Gondor

Mar 20 2017, 1:30am

Post #12 of 24 (4872 views)
Shortcut
Was that sarcasm?// [In reply to] Can't Post

Annael
Immortal

Mar 20 2017, 5:20pm

Post #13 of 24 (4862 views)
Shortcut
no, that was sincere [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm always casting books I like with current actors.

For instance, I just re-read "The Silver Metal Lover" by Tanith Lee and thought that Hale Appleman, who plays "Elliot" on "The Magicians," would be perfect as Clovis, one of the main characters. Not that anyone will ever make that book into a movie, but still - it's fun to think about.

Ardamírë
Valinor

Mar 23 2017, 6:50pm

Post #14 of 24 (4826 views)
Shortcut
Speaking of casting roles [In reply to] Can't Post

Michele Dockery (Lady Mary from Downton) gets my vote for Lúthien. I've been rewatching Downton and suddenly realized she'd be perfect.

ange1e4e5
Gondor

Mar 24 2017, 1:52am

Post #15 of 24 (4810 views)
Shortcut
My vote is for Alicia Vikander as Luthien. [In reply to] Can't Post

The Biebs
Balrog

Apr 1 2017, 11:12pm

Post #16 of 24 (4666 views)
Shortcut
Light bulb! [In reply to] Can't Post

I just realized this thread is about that Silmarillion book. I didn't realize there were so many different stories in that one book. No wonder PJ is so excited.

This totally inspires me even more to think about a rock opera. It could be like Mama Mia with Abba songs only I could string together my own songs. This cold be EPIC! Cool

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 1 2017, 11:30pm

Post #17 of 24 (4663 views)
Shortcut
Even better: set it in the 1980s [In reply to] Can't Post

and give it a disco vibe. It could be a new sound for your next album.

Angelic

Darkstone
Immortal

Apr 4 2017, 5:48pm

Post #18 of 24 (4607 views)
Shortcut
Hmmmmm..... [In reply to] Can't Post

Sgt. Feanor's Lonely Hearts Club Band?

Drúedain Dancing?

Fletdance?

Harfootloose?

The Full Maiar?

Saturday Night Fingon?

Breakin' of the Fellowship 2: Electric Boromir?

Strictly Bag End?

A Carrock Line?

This could work!!!

Darkstone
Immortal

Apr 4 2017, 6:34pm

Post #19 of 24 (4610 views)
Shortcut
Hmmmmm..... (Parte Deux) [In reply to] Can't Post

"Túrin
Turambar,
Do you think you're who they say you are?"

Or:

"He's an Orthanc Wizard,
There's got to be a twist.
An Orthanc Wizard,
His treachery was missed!"

Or:

"Give me three hairs, long beautiful hairs,
Shining, gleaming, streaming, flaxen, waxen.
Give me three from there, hairs, shoulder length or longer.
Here Gladdy, there, Gladdy, everywhere, Gladdy, Gladdy!"

This could work!!

Darkstone
Immortal

Apr 4 2017, 6:42pm

Post #20 of 24 (4599 views)
Shortcut
Of course! [In reply to] Can't Post

If they follow their previous pattern, the Tolkien Estate should release it just before the next big Hollywood Middle-earth movie.

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 4 2017, 7:12pm

Post #21 of 24 (4593 views)
Shortcut
Earworm! Earworm!! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Lissuin
Valinor

Apr 4 2017, 10:05pm

Post #22 of 24 (4588 views)
Shortcut
Choice. // [In reply to] Can't Post

Altaira
Superuser

Apr 7 2017, 3:20pm

Post #23 of 24 (4382 views)
Shortcut
Bravo! [In reply to] Can't Post

And, yes, thanks a lot for the ear worms. CrazyLaugh

Altaira
Superuser

Apr 8 2017, 6:24pm

Post #24 of 24 (4264 views)
Shortcut
By the way [In reply to] Can't Post

I know I can *ahem* safely speak for The Biebs when I say he's impressed with your lyrical skills. Wink

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.