Shortcut
Best animated film of the Disney Renaissance Can't Post

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Feb 17 2017, 3:08pm

Post #2 of 19 (3974 views)
Shortcut
For me it's a 3-way tie [In reply to] Can't Post

Beauty and the Beast; Lion King; Tarzan. I remember when The Black Cauldron was intended to kick off the Disney revival. Too bad it never quite clicked.

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Feb 17 2017, 3:10pm)

HOBBITFAN13
Lorien

Feb 17 2017, 7:06pm

Post #3 of 19 (3951 views)
Shortcut
LION KING! [In reply to] Can't Post

Don't get me wrong Beauty and the Beast is an utter masterpiece but The Lion King to me was just better because it had tragedy, heart, humor, and it was epic. Beauty and the beast has all those qualities but I just think Lion King did it better. The Lion King is still to this day my FAVORITE ANIMATED MOVIE EVER!

(This post was edited by HOBBITFAN13 on Feb 17 2017, 7:07pm)

Darkstone
Immortal

Feb 17 2017, 7:31pm

Post #4 of 19 (3942 views)
Shortcut
Beauty and the Beast [In reply to] Can't Post

Definitely the greatest film of the bunch, but my heart belongs to Mulan.

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Feb 21 2017, 6:00pm

Post #5 of 19 (3875 views)
Shortcut
I voted Alladin because [In reply to] Can't Post

it came out when my oldest daughter was a toddler, and it's her very favorite movie ever! MY personal favorite on your list is Mulan, but my daughter is such a HUGE fan of Alladin I had to go with that one instead. Of course, my younger daughter likes Beauty & the Beast, so it really should be a tie between those two.Wink

ange1e4e5
Gondor

Feb 22 2017, 3:49am

Post #6 of 19 (3852 views)
Shortcut
Tie between Beauty and the Beast, Hunchback of Notre Dame and Mulan. [In reply to] Can't Post

Least favorite: The Little Mermaid.

TheOnlyOneAroundWithAnySense
Rohan

Feb 24 2017, 5:14am

Post #7 of 19 (3785 views)
Shortcut
The Emperor's New Groove [In reply to] Can't Post

doesn't count? I feel like I've heard this before, but have never been sure why.

?

Darkstone
Immortal

Feb 24 2017, 2:09pm

Post #8 of 19 (3770 views)
Shortcut
Simple [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
...doesn't count?

No princess.

They tried but couldn't fit one in due to time constraints.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Feb 24 2017, 2:18pm

Post #9 of 19 (3767 views)
Shortcut
Princess Bianca? [In reply to] Can't Post

I hope that you don't mean that Miss Bianca (The Rescuers; The Rescuers Down Under) counts as a Disney Princess? Tongue

Darkstone
Immortal

Feb 24 2017, 2:41pm

Post #10 of 19 (3760 views)
Shortcut
Sure! [In reply to] Can't Post

They got exotic Eva Gabor to play her, didn't they?

That accent!

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Feb 24 2017, 3:35pm

Post #11 of 19 (3748 views)
Shortcut
Whatever you say, dah-link! // [In reply to] Can't Post

OldestDaughter
Rohan

Feb 24 2017, 3:40pm

Post #12 of 19 (3751 views)
Shortcut
I have enjoyed all of them, but for me, [In reply to] Can't Post

its Mulan and the Hunchback of Notre Dame. Both movies have some really powerful scenes for me.

I think Pocahontas had one of the most awesome end scenes though.

ange1e4e5
Gondor

Feb 24 2017, 4:26pm

Post #13 of 19 (3746 views)
Shortcut
Wasn't in that era. Tarzan (1999) was the last film of the Disney Renaissance, Emperor's New Groove was released in 2000. [In reply to] Can't Post

CuriousG
Half-elven

Feb 28 2017, 11:11pm

Post #14 of 19 (3589 views)
Shortcut
I'm not defending Little Mermaid as #1, but [In reply to] Can't Post

I give it credit for helping Disney get back into the animated groove again. I think they learned from the good & bad of that movie and went on to make much better ones. So I have a sort of soft spot of gratitude for it, even though I don't care to ever watch it again.

CuriousG
Half-elven

Feb 28 2017, 11:13pm

Post #15 of 19 (3586 views)
Shortcut
To this day, I can remember my genuine fright at the lionesses' charge [In reply to] Can't Post

I was watching that movie with a mix of adults and kids in the theater, and generally thought it was a fun cartoon, but towards the end, when the lionesses revolt and charge against Scar and his cronies, there was something incredibly real about it, and they charged right at the screen, and suddenly I was downright *scared.* The scene was over in a moment, but wow, they pulled some good tricks with that movie.

Annael
Immortal

Mar 3 2017, 1:29am

Post #16 of 19 (3494 views)
Shortcut
Beauty [In reply to] Can't Post

The opening sequence was as stunning to me in 1991 as the opening sequence of "Star Wars' was on the big screen in 1977. So far beyond what animation had been until then. I haven't had that reaction to any Disney animated movie since, as amazing as most of them have been.

sevilodorf
Tol Eressea

Mar 22 2017, 12:19am

Post #17 of 19 (3308 views)
Shortcut
Like choosing a favorite child [In reply to] Can't Post

Little Mermaid if forced to choose

Maciliel
Valinor

Mar 23 2017, 1:15am

Post #18 of 19 (3293 views)
Shortcut
moana -- oars down [In reply to] Can't Post

moana -- oars down.

it's far more than standard disney fare. powerful, respectful to the culture. well-rounded leads, well-acted, superb music, transcendent lead vocals, amazing music and lyrics, and score.... powerful visuals that tell the story rather than enslaved to cgi.

i could easily go on and on...

cheers --

Kelly of Water's Edge
Rohan

Apr 19 2017, 4:51pm

Post #19 of 19 (3014 views)
Shortcut
Tough one. [In reply to] Can't Post

I have to go with Beauty and the Beast because IMHO it has such a classic fairytale feel and the best developed story, but if I could only save one from my burning house and not be able to replace any others it would truly gut me to have to sacrifice the Lion King, which I consider to have the best opening and voice cast out of the Disney animated movies.
I do like Mulan and Tarzan quite a lot, and also have The Little Mermaid in my collection.
Hunchback - Boy, do I have a complicated relationship with it. The music (Dear Lord, Paul Kandel's voice in Bells of Notre Dame!) and art were incredible, but the gargoyles just took me out of the drama - which really frustrates me because I feel it could have been a classic. Last summer, I saw the musical they're trying to bring to Broadway at the Ogunquit Playhouse in Maine. It was phenomenal, combining the Disney music with (for the most part) Hugo's dead-serious, devastatingly tragic story.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.