Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
TORn Discussion Boards' 10th TORniversary 2/17/2007 – 2/17/2017

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Feb 17 2017, 1:42pm

Post #1 of 14 (567 views)
Shortcut
TORn Discussion Boards' 10th TORniversary 2/17/2007 – 2/17/2017 Can't Post

It's been 10 short years since TORn's original Discussion Boards received an overhaul that launched us into the streamlined Boards we enjoy today. On February 17, 2007, our lovely and talented Admin and Superuser, Altaira, lead the charge along with BG, Inferno and many more in making this massive and challenging transformation. Unfortunately, the server that powered our online home just couldn't handle the load anymore. So it was inevitable that an upgrade was on its way.

As with any substantial change in a place so familiar and widely used, there was the anticipated whiplash as TORnsibs adjusted to their new digs. It was truly a very sad time as we felt displaced, overwhelmed and disoriented maneuvering in the new format. While we mourned the loss of our home on the "Old Boards" (modding, endless editing time, etc.), the "New Boards" had some incredible improvements that helped soothe our growing pains (awesome Site Searching, threaded posts, emogis, avatars, etc.). The greatest help came from the patient support of Altaira and her marvelous team as we adapted to and mastered our new world. What really helped was the ability to still go [home] and hang out on the Old Boards and read all of the old posts our little hearts desired.

Sadly, we recently lost that haven when our current server couldn't handle the activity, causing a total CRASH that left us staring at our screens waiting for signs of life. Thanks to TORn Founder and genius IT wizard, Corvar... we soon found ourselves posting and lurking once again, but the door to the Old Boards was shut and the lights turned off. *sigh*

In the end, we adjusted and the New Boards became home because we all made the move together. Our community thrived and has grown through the years. And no matter what, it will always be home because of the dedication of our Founders, Admins and the sharing people who live here :)

Now for some interesting tidbits:

A Conspiracy! To show our appreciation for Altaira's devotion to us all and for her hard work converting our Boards, several TORnsibs conspired to arrange a small gift for her. Check out the story right here.

As of just after midnight on 2/17/17, there are 12,572 registered users... and as many as 350 guests visiting in real time! This will keep the lights on here for a long, long time!

Registered TORn members:
November 11, 2007 – 1,111
February 17, 2011 – 5,907
February 17, 2012 – 7,439 – 1,532 added in 1 year! (year of The Hobbit filming)
February 17, 2013 – 9,381 – 1,942 registered users added in the past year (year of The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey release)
February 17, 2014 – 10,739 – 1,358 registered users added in the past year (year of The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug)
February 17, 2015 – 11,757 – 1,018 registered users added in the past year (year of The Hobbit: The Battle of Five Armies)
February 17, 2016 – 12,227 – 470 registered users added in the past year (no more films)
February 17, 2017 – 12,572 – 345 registered users added in the past year

Here's a peek of what posts looked like on the original Old Boards from April 1999-February 16, 2007.

Here follow the first posts (or nearly) on the New Boards on February 17, 2007. Also shown are the current stats of activity for each Board with the number of pages, posts and threads we have 10 years later on February 17, 2017.

Welcome: 1 page with 7 posts in 7 threads and 90,214 views.

Main: 491 pages with 112,359 posts in 7365 threads

There are 2 posts for this one
Reading Room: 256 pages with 70,363 posts in 3,828 threads
Reading Room

Movie Discussion: The Lord of the Rings: 237 pages with 49,910 posts in 3,544 threads

Movie Discussion: The Hobbit: 1,063 pages with 376,621 posts in 15,940 threads

The Arena: 43 pages with 5,389 posts in 639 threads

Gaming & Collecting: 109 pages with 7,911 posts in 1,633 threads

Fan Art: 105 pages with 9,711 posts in 1,574 threads

Off Topic: 620 pages with 203,630 posts in 9,293 threads

The Pollantir: 100 pages with 34,127 posts in 1,490 threads

TORn Moots & Other Events: 63 pages with 7,067 posts in 932 threads

I can't WAIT to see what's going on in the next 10 years!!!

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observations List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observations List - May 15, 2014

5th draft of TH:BotFA Geeky Observations List - January 30, 2015

TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

(This post was edited by dernwyn on Feb 17 2017, 6:37pm)

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 17 2017, 5:14pm

Post #2 of 14 (506 views)
Shortcut
Is it TODAY? [In reply to] Can't Post

Omigosh, I've been reading through all your links, gramma...remembering that day so vividly, all of us rushing to sign up on the New Boards!

Thank you so much for putting this all together! The decade has gone by so quickly, it seems like only yesterday that the Map conspiracy was formed, and the perfect tribute to Altaira and BG (and Inferno too, she had a hand in it!) was planned.

(And isn't Daniel Reeve the most wonderful guy? Wink)

*Anniversary Hugs!*

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Feb 17 2017, 5:20pm

Post #3 of 14 (503 views)
Shortcut
A powerful team! :D [In reply to] Can't Post

*high five* I wondered who those talented folks were! And I'll bet there are so many more :D Most Excellent!!!

sample

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Eventides
Tol Eressea

Feb 17 2017, 6:12pm

Post #4 of 14 (495 views)
Shortcut
Wow... time flies! [In reply to] Can't Post

I didn't realize that was 10 years ago already! Shocked

Thank you so much, TORn admins, for creating and maintaining such a great and enduring site!! Heart

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Eventides' Website: ListenUpReviews.com - Rockin' Choices In Entertainment!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
"I stepped out of my body to let God slide in; although I'm still dressed in flesh that I spiritually died in. Alive in Christ a new creation started breathin', Life exists and through this came completion. ... I'm not that person anymore (more!)! That's what blood was shed for! No longer a failure, livin' life more abundantly, therefore you'll never see me livin' less than victory."
John Reuben.

"Desperation, needing You; every last breath I scream for You. Shatter me into a million pieces, make me new. ... Break me, mold me, make me what You want me to be; I am Yours, for You to use, so take and replace me with You."
Family Force 5.

"Under a light in Bethlehem, I was sifting through the sand; the saline burned my eyes, I was looking for Your hand. I gave up on myself, and left my pride disarmed; I cried out 'I'm alone!' and found myself in Your arms. 'Rest in Me, oh, My love; I have loved you before the world began. Rest in Me, oh, My love; you'll never wander too far to reach My hand.'"
Showbread.

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Feb 17 2017, 6:46pm

Post #5 of 14 (497 views)
Shortcut
That 'conspiracay unmasked' thread prompted a few tears. :) [In reply to] Can't Post

There are also some fondly remembered names in that discussion thread! Thanks for linking to it, gramma. Heart

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 17 2017, 7:14pm

Post #6 of 14 (486 views)
Shortcut
Happy anniversary to us! [In reply to] Can't Post

Wow, ten years on the *new* boards. TORN endures. :) I am glad to be here with you all.

I love looking at my TORn map--a constant reminder of our fellowship.

The Passing of Mistress Rose
My historical novels

Do we find happiness so often that we should turn it off the box when it happens to sit there?

- A Room With a View

dormouse
Half-elven

Feb 18 2017, 9:35am

Post #7 of 14 (473 views)
Shortcut
Happy Anniversary to the new boards.... [In reply to] Can't Post

...and to all the lovely people who hang around here. And here's to the next 10 years! Smile

For still there are so many things
that I have never seen:
in every wood and every spring
there is a different green. . .

Loresilme
Valinor

Feb 18 2017, 4:13pm

Post #8 of 14 (460 views)
Shortcut
*Raises a glass* Happy Anniversary to all! [In reply to] Can't Post

Such wonderful memories! I can't believe it's been ten years. I remember the day we switched over to the new boards, how it felt just like walking around a new house. And the amazing secret-map-mission-conspiracy-gift-quest lol!! I still have my framed map on the wall here in my home office, right above a little grouping of TORn-related memorabilia (FOTR RCMH concert, anyone :)?!

So many happy memories in those threads, so many names I fondly remember. And yet, so many that are still here! That has to be rare, perhaps even unique, for a board to have remained thriving for so long with so many long-time members, and so many new ones too. Thank you to the admins, the mods and the PTB. The goodwill here has made the world - both the online one and the real-life one - a better place.

Here's to the next ten years here, with members old and new - there is no place like TORn :).

*raises a glass* Cheers!!

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 19 2017, 8:09am

Post #9 of 14 (447 views)
Shortcut
That moment when.... [In reply to] Can't Post

you suddenly realize that the New Boards are now older than the Old Boards were when the New Boards were created. Shocked

Old or New, these boards have always been full of excellent company who have made annoyances like random board quirks ("crossed" posts, anyone?), and server problems (everything from sllloooooooooow pooooosstinnnggg to dumped stats) not only survivable but often entertaining. And even outright catastrophes were weathered with grace and humor. I'm grateful to have been here and known all of you, and long may it continue!

Silverlode

Roads go ever ever on
Under cloud and under star
Yet feet that wandering have gone
Turn at last to home afar.
Eyes that fire and sword have seen
And horror in the halls of stone
Look at last on meadows green
And trees and hills they long have known.

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 19 2017, 11:49pm

Post #10 of 14 (435 views)
Shortcut
How many RR Scholars does it take to change a light bulb? [In reply to] Can't Post

Speaking of the New Boards, I was going through some papers today, and came across a bunch of printouts of posts from the Old Boards!

This delightful post, by a.s. on 9 June 2006, proves that little has changed in the venerable Reading Room.

How many RR scholars does it take to change a light bulb? 13 (and do they seem like TORnfolks you know?)

1st: Define

2nd: Deconstruct

3rd: Propose

4th: Counter-propose

5th: Argue coherently

6th: Answer argument profoundly

7th: Entertain several alternate proposals from the ranks

8th: Change the lightbulb

9th: Offer polite, positive criticism of light-bulb-changing techniques and suggest further reading to study same

10th: Brilliantly quote either Shippey or Flieger (or both!) on the subject of Tolkien's use of light and its foreshadowing of electricity

11th: Politely present arguments demonstrating why this cannot be so, quoting something published in a journal only accessible to MUSE subscribers

12th: Provide links to previous discussions about light-bulbs in the RR

13th: Begin subthread about whether the light bulb has realy been changed, or if it couldn't be interpreted as the light bulb remaining stationary while all else changed around it

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Feb 20 2017, 2:29am

Post #11 of 14 (418 views)
Shortcut
Bwahahahaha.... :D [In reply to] Can't Post

When you look at it condense like that... IT'S GLORIOUS!!! :D This is so great! Thank you, you little hoarder! *salutes*

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Annael
Half-elven

Feb 20 2017, 3:30am

Post #12 of 14 (409 views)
Shortcut
#7 [In reply to] Can't Post

includes at least two UUTs I assume.

I am a dreamer of words, of written words. I think I am reading; a word stops me. I leave the page. The syllables of the words begin to move around … The words take on other meanings as if they had the right to be young.

-- Gaston Bachelard

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Ginger
Lorien

Feb 20 2017, 11:24pm

Post #13 of 14 (384 views)
Shortcut
I'm glad I'm not the only one that printed board posts [In reply to] Can't Post

I whittled them down after moving twice in two years, but they are still precious to me.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Feb 21 2017, 12:14am

Post #14 of 14 (379 views)
Shortcut
I also printed some of them [In reply to] Can't Post

but I made the big mistake of saving most of them via their links. *sigh* Now they're gone. *sniffle*

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.