Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Is An Unexpected Journey a Remake of The Fellowship of the Ring?

HOBBITFAN13
Lorien

Feb 16 2017, 10:21pm

Post #1 of 22 (4333 views)
Shortcut
Is An Unexpected Journey a Remake of The Fellowship of the Ring? Can't Post

There is a lot of similarities between the Hobbit and FOTR books and AUJ cover a lot of those similarities in the film. AUJ and FOTR films both go in the same lands even Weathertop and both end with a heartfelt scene between two friends: Frodo and Sam, Bilbo and Thorin. What do you think?

Darkstone
Immortal

Feb 16 2017, 11:24pm

Post #2 of 22 (4274 views)
Shortcut
Well [In reply to] Can't Post

I've always seen LOTR as The Hobbit writ large, so it's no surprise if both are similar in many ways.

And Jackson and his fellow screenwriters are devotees of Syd Field's three act paradigm so it's natural both films would have a similar structure and "beats".

“Begone, foul dwimmerlaik, lord of carrion! Leave the dead in peace!"
"Come not between the Nazgul and his prey! Or he will not slay thee in thy turn. He will bear thee away to the houses of lamentation, beyond all darkness, where thy flesh shall be devoured, and thy shrivelled mind be left naked to the Lidless Eye."
"Do what you will; but I will hinder it, if I may."
"Hinder me? Thou fool. No living man may hinder me!"
"But no living man am I! I am Eowyn, daughter of Theodwyn!”
"Er, really? My mother's name was Theodwyn, too!"
"No way!"
"Way!"
"Wow! Let's stop fighting and be best friends!"
"Cool!!"

-Zack Snyder's The Return of the King

(This post was edited by Darkstone on Feb 16 2017, 11:29pm)

HOBBITFAN13
Lorien

Feb 17 2017, 12:09am

Post #3 of 22 (4264 views)
Shortcut
Kind of like Star Wars [In reply to] Can't Post

Like The Phantom Menace and The Force Awakens with A New Hope

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Feb 17 2017, 2:46am

Post #4 of 22 (4246 views)
Shortcut
Not really... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Kind of like Star Wars

Except that The Hobbit was actually written first; and The Lord of the Rings started out as a direct sequel to the earlier work. Both Bilbo and Frodo start out journeying from Hobbiton to Rivendell, so some similarities in their travels are unavoidable.

"He who lies artistically, treads closer to the truth than ever he knows." -- Favorite proverb of the wizard Ningauble of the Seven Eyes

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Feb 17 2017, 2:47am)

dormouse
Half-elven

Feb 17 2017, 12:19pm

Post #5 of 22 (4205 views)
Shortcut
No, I don't think so.... [In reply to] Can't Post

The similarities you're pointing out are essentially the similarities that Tolkien himself created. The journey east from the Shire to Rivendell, then the mountains (over and under).

When The Hobbit became a three-part adaptation it was bound to heighten the similarities. The films simply added one more apparent similarity: in a three-part film adaptation with a year to wait in between parts there had to be an emotionally satisfying conclusion which would also look forward to the next part. But if you look more closely at those two conclusions, I'd say they're actually very different. Fellowship ends with the breaking of the company, AUJ with the forging a new emotional bond between a company which will continue on the road together.

For still there are so many things
that I have never seen:
in every wood and every spring
there is a different green. . .

OldestDaughter
Rohan

Feb 17 2017, 1:45pm

Post #6 of 22 (4193 views)
Shortcut
Similarities? Yes. Remake? No. [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, both have similar beginnings, but as the others have said, Tolkien did create both. And the filmmakers who filmed both, tried to stay closer to the books with these two particular films.

"Keen, heart-piercing was her song as the song of the lark that rises from the gates of night and pours its voice among the dying stars, seeing the sun behind the walls of the world; and the song of Lúthien released the bonds of winter, and the frozen waters spoke, and flowers sprang from the cold earth where her feet had passed."

wizzardly
Rohan

Feb 17 2017, 2:13pm

Post #7 of 22 (4186 views)
Shortcut
Yes... [In reply to] Can't Post

It was very similar to Phantom Menace...it even had its very own Jar Jar Binx in PJ's re-imagining of the character of Radagast!

ange1e4e5
Gondor

Feb 17 2017, 3:02pm

Post #8 of 22 (4170 views)
Shortcut
Unlike Jar Jar, Radagast wasn't there long. [In reply to] Can't Post

I actually thought Radagast was pretty good; nice foil to Gandalf and Saruman.

I always follow my job through.

wizzardly
Rohan

Feb 17 2017, 3:39pm

Post #9 of 22 (4162 views)
Shortcut
Yes, the Radagast moments, though limited, they sure packed a mean punch... [In reply to] Can't Post

I feel like all the Radagast scenes should be played at 3x speed with yakkety sax.

"Tolkien has become a monster, devoured by his own popularity and absorbed into the absurdity of our time." -Christopher Tolkien

Lindele
Gondor

Feb 17 2017, 6:02pm

Post #10 of 22 (4126 views)
Shortcut
If the fact that the companies [In reply to] Can't Post

travel from Hobbiton to Rivendell in both movies make AUJ a remake of FOTR, then yes. If the fact that they both have story arcs and an emotional ending makes AUJ a remake then yes, yes it is a remake of FOTR.

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Feb 17 2017, 6:07pm

Post #11 of 22 (4121 views)
Shortcut
How could it be a remake? [In reply to] Can't Post

The plot and goals aren't the same, the characters are mostly different - in fact I don't think most of the LoTR characters have even been born yet! So that would be a NO. There were, of course, a few too many call-backs to LoTR: Gandalf bumping his head in Bag-End; the aforementioned Weathertop; and a few others I'm forgetting right now. But since FoTR is a continuation of the story that BEGAN with "The Hobbit," the fact that two locations (Bag-end and Rivendell) and three characters (Bilbo, Gandalf & Gollum) featured in both doesn't make "The Hobbit" a "remake." The Hobbit is about a quest to reclaim a lost Kingdom, whereas LoTR is about a quest to destroy a ring. The Hobbit's Dwarves travel East to Erebor, crossing Murkwood along the way; the FoTR Fellowship (with only ONE Dwarf) travels South to Mordor, crossing through Lothlorien, Rohan & Gondor on the way. And although there are Elves (and a few Dwarves) at the White Council meeting, it's made clear that this story is about the MEN of Middle-earth - most of their journey is spent in Kingdoms of MEN. And finally, The Hobbit has a Dragon, where LoTR has Black Riders. Plenty of differences, IMO.

I'd say I've entered my second childhood, but I never left the first!

wizzardly
Rohan

Feb 17 2017, 6:37pm

Post #12 of 22 (4116 views)
Shortcut
Not a remake, but... [In reply to] Can't Post

it is blatantly obvious that PJ, the studio or whoever decided to take the relatively small book and force it into a trilogy, did so with the idea of "remaking" the success of the previous adaptation. And by success, I mean making the most amount of money possible.

"Tolkien has become a monster, devoured by his own popularity and absorbed into the absurdity of our time." -Christopher Tolkien

Darkstone
Immortal

Feb 17 2017, 7:10pm

Post #13 of 22 (4108 views)
Shortcut
Well [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd grant The Force Awakens and A New Hope.

Screenwriter Lawrence Kasdan (The Empire Strikes Back (1980), Return of the Jedi (1983), and The Force Awakens (2015)) chose not to help write the prequels as he felt that they should be solely in Lucas' voice and Lucas should have a totally free hand. (Which come to think of it, yeah, Jackson's AUJ and Lucas' The Phantom Menace *do* have many parallels!)

“Begone, foul dwimmerlaik, lord of carrion! Leave the dead in peace!"
"Come not between the Nazgul and his prey! Or he will not slay thee in thy turn. He will bear thee away to the houses of lamentation, beyond all darkness, where thy flesh shall be devoured, and thy shrivelled mind be left naked to the Lidless Eye."
"Do what you will; but I will hinder it, if I may."
"Hinder me? Thou fool. No living man may hinder me!"
"But no living man am I! I am Eowyn, daughter of Theodwyn!”
"Er, really? My mother's name was Theodwyn, too!"
"No way!"
"Way!"
"Wow! Let's stop fighting and be best friends!"
"Cool!!"

-Zack Snyder's The Return of the King

FrogmortonJustice65
Lorien

Feb 18 2017, 3:49am

Post #14 of 22 (4059 views)
Shortcut
only in the sense that TH and LOTR are already similar stories [In reply to] Can't Post

the source material of PJ's AUJ and FOTR - Tolkien's writings - have tons of parallels. We start in the Shire, visit Rivendell, encounter some Goblins in a mountainous cave, etc...

There are parts of the AUJ that do feel like they are intentionally emulating FOTR -- the epic prologue, the sweeping shots of the Fellowship/Thorin's company exploring the wilderness, etc.

Still not a 'remake,' but it is fun to think about all the similarities.

photo cbccab4e-f61e-4be5-aaa1-20e302430c7c.jpg

Legomir
Rivendell

Feb 21 2017, 7:16pm

Post #15 of 22 (3924 views)
Shortcut
Structurally-speaking, yeah, I suppose [In reply to] Can't Post

Prologue-Hobbiton-Lone Lands-Rivendell-Misty Mountains-Past the Misty Mountains. It is basically FOTR's structure without Lothlorien, which the writers probably liked since they always said Lothlorien was problematic for momentum and pacing.

The actual journey and a lot of the character-arcs and moments are obviously completely different, though.

AshNazg
Gondor

Feb 28 2017, 1:09pm

Post #16 of 22 (3757 views)
Shortcut
Compare them and they're nothing alike... [In reply to] Can't Post

The Hobbit in 10 summarised steps -

Step 1 - A prologue that recounts a mysterious history wherein the forging of a seemingly harmless artefact from a large mountain sets in motion disastrous consequences which destroys cities and tears people apart. The Artefact is then dropped and lost for years.

Step 2 - Gandalf travels to Hobbiton and puts together a plan for a small company to go to the big mountain and use the artefact to destroy the evil forever.

Step 3 - After a big walking montage, Gandalf wanders off. The company then faces a threat that hints that the journey will be more perilous and difficult than they originally thought.

Step 4 - The company meets a mysterious new character who tells them exactly how dangerous the threat following them really is. After receiving new weapons, the company is aided by the new character in a big chase set-piece which eventually leads them all to Rivendell.

Step 5 - At Rivendell the quest and the stakes are discussed in detail by a range of iconic characters. The objective is agreed upon and the company sets off toward the Misty Mountains.

Step 6 - After a big walking montage the company gets to the Misty Mountains but a huge avalanche causes them to change plans. The company rests a while outside of a gate which turns out to lead them into a huge goblin-infested city.

Step 7 - In these caves our main character learns about Gollum before a big fight with goblins breaks out. The company runs to a long Bridge and Gandalf saves the day by killing the biggest enemy, but the bridge collapses and he falls. The company run outside into the safety of daylight.

Step 8 - Outside the goblin city, the company discuss the loss of one of their company. They eventually decide to keep moving forward before the goblins get them. So they run into the woods.

Step 9 - In the woods the company is again chased by orcs. But they discover that these are not simply orcs, they are much more powerful. One of the company fails in a fight with their chief but the company manages to flee.

Step 10 - After collecting themselves, Our main character spots the big mountain in the distance and says a quick, ironically optimistic line apparently unaware of the dangers that lie ahead.

...Nothing like Fellowship of the Ring, see? Tongue

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Feb 28 2017, 3:26pm

Post #17 of 22 (3743 views)
Shortcut
I wouldn't go that far... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Compare them and they're nothing alike...

Well, no, that's not true. There are unarguably some parallels; it's just that they break down if we take them too far.

Both journeys effectively begin in Hobbiton with a Baggins and a small group of fellow travelers, taking them from safe, settled regions into danger.

Both companies initially travel East along roughly the same route. The Company of Thorin Oakenshield travels the Great East Road making for the High Pass. Frodo and his companions parallel the Road, making for Rivendell with the High Pass being just beyond it.

Both companies encounter danger after leaving Hobbiton. The first hazards encountered by Bilbo are crossing a flooded river and then the three Trolls. Frodo and some of his companions have a pair of close encounters with a Black Rider while still in The Shire; they next encounter danger in the Old Forest and then the Barrow-downs, before even reaching Bree.

Both groups encounter the same three Trolls (William, Tom and Bert), although when Frodo's band meet them, the trolls are merely stone statues.

Both companies reach Rivendell where they can rest and receive advise and assistance from Elrond. Frodo's group is absorbed into the Fellowship of the Ring.

Both bands have serious problems with goblins while crossing the Misty Mountains.

Both companies lose Gandalf the Grey during their travels. The wizard leaves Thorin and Company at the eaves of Mirkwood in order to meet with the White Council and deal with the Necromancer at Dol Guldur. The Fellowship sees Gandalf fall with the Balrog of Moria to what they assume is his death (and they are not far off).

Yes, the two stories also differ quite a bit, especially after these points (and also before). But you can't deny these similarities.

"He who lies artistically, treads closer to the truth than ever he knows." -- Favorite proverb of the wizard Ningauble of the Seven Eyes

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Feb 28 2017, 3:27pm)

HOBBITFAN13
Lorien

Mar 1 2017, 7:15pm

Post #18 of 22 (3688 views)
Shortcut
This my response to when people consider The Force Awakens a remake [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

In Reply To
Compare them and they're nothing alike...

Well, no, that's not true. There are unarguably some parallels;

Yes, the two stories also differ quite a bit, especially after these points (and also before). But you can't deny these similarities.

AshNazg
Gondor

Mar 5 2017, 4:08am

Post #19 of 22 (3624 views)
Shortcut
I really want to make a LotR version of this... [In reply to] Can't Post

https://vimeo.com/137711830

Just wish I had the editing tools Frown

Glorfindela
Valinor

Mar 9 2017, 11:22pm

Post #20 of 22 (3542 views)
Shortcut
Is An Unexpected Journey a Remake of The Fellowship of the Ring? [In reply to] Can't Post

No – they are completely different, apart from the Middle-Earth settings, of course. Did you not see both films (or read both books)?

(This post was edited by Glorfindela on Mar 9 2017, 11:25pm)

KingTurgon
Rohan

Mar 29 2017, 3:06pm

Post #21 of 22 (3070 views)
Shortcut
No [In reply to] Can't Post

Thematically they are quite different. The focus of one is that Bilbo and the Dwarves are going on an adventure to reclaim their homeland whereas Frodo is on an epic quest to save the world. Also, two of the main characters die in FOTR whereas no one dies in AUJ. AUJ also introduces all of its characters within the first half of the movie - in FOTR the introductions are spread out.

Really the only major similarities are that they both have a Baggins as the main character and cover the same geographical territory in the first half of the movie.

An Unexpected Jounrey is a perfect Middle-earth film as far as I'm concerned and I will defend it to my dying breath :)

(This post was edited by KingTurgon on Mar 29 2017, 3:06pm)

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Mar 29 2017, 3:18pm

Post #22 of 22 (3064 views)
Shortcut
He's only 'mostly' dead [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Thematically they are quite different. The focus of one is that Bilbo and the Dwarves are going on an adventure to reclaim their homeland whereas Frodo is on an epic quest to save the world. Also, two of the main characters die in FOTR whereas no one dies in AUJ.

Well, there's Gandalf. Yes, he is sent back later, but he is dead at the end of this movie.

In Reply To
An Unexpected Jounrey is a perfect Middle-earth film as far as I'm concerned and I will defend it to my dying breath :)

I find the tombs in the High Fells hard to defend as well as Jackson's Stone-Transformers (I wanted to see the Stone-giants, but not like that) and some of his physical humor; but one man's meat is another man's poison.

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Mar 29 2017, 3:21pm)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.