Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
If Beren and Luthien was made into a movie...
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

malickfan
Gondor

Feb 18 2017, 7:10pm

Post #26 of 46 (2155 views)
Shortcut
Answers: [In reply to] Can't Post

1. Not particularly (this goes for question 3 as well) I love the stories of The Silmarillion so much I don't think any movie would be able to live up to the version I imagine, so much would have to be altered, invented or rewritten to appeal to casual audiences expecting another fantasy blockbuster it would scarcely resemble or reflect the spirit of the story as Tolkien envisioned it .

We never got JRR Tolkien's final version of the story, I have no pressing desire to see Hollywood mess with it.

2. Stage Opera or animated miniseries.

4. Great Actors

5. Maybe Terrence Malick or Alfonso Cuaron

ange1e4e5
Gondor

Feb 18 2017, 7:53pm

Post #27 of 46 (2145 views)
Shortcut
Anyone in particular for 4? [In reply to] Can't Post

I always follow my job through.

OldestDaughter
Rohan

Feb 18 2017, 8:09pm

Post #28 of 46 (2147 views)
Shortcut
Neat. [In reply to] Can't Post

1. Would you want to see an adaptation?
Yes!

2. If so, what medium would you want to see it in (film, TV)?
Film.

3. How much of the rest of The Silmarillion would you want to see?
"As much you can give me!"

4. Who should play the legendary couple?
I like Darkstone's idea of Sebastian Stan as Beren. Gemma Arterton as Luthien.(Her voice is somewhat similar to Liv Tyler's, so I think that would work as a relative. :) )

5. What screenwriters/directors/producers do you think would create an adaptation that would satisfy your standards?
I am still good with Peter Jackson, but I do like Christoper Nolan's films, so that would be ok too with me!

6. What other characters/actors would you want to see in the adaptation?
Can't think of too many right now, but I would like Ben Kingsly to voice Huan!Smile

"Keen, heart-piercing was her song as the song of the lark that rises from the gates of night and pours its voice among the dying stars, seeing the sun behind the walls of the world; and the song of Lúthien released the bonds of winter, and the frozen waters spoke, and flowers sprang from the cold earth where her feet had passed."

malickfan
Gondor

Feb 19 2017, 2:05pm

Post #29 of 46 (2113 views)
Shortcut
No names spring to mind... [In reply to] Can't Post

...I haven't read The Silmarillion in ages and I'm not particularly keen to see it adapted, most of the characters are so thinly described or 'larger than life' (especially the literal gods the Valar) that I'm hard pressed to name many actors who would feel right for the source material.

wizzardly
Rohan

Feb 19 2017, 3:29pm

Post #30 of 46 (2112 views)
Shortcut
1. Would you want to see an adaptation? [In reply to] Can't Post

No. Looking forward to the book though.

"Tolkien has become a monster, devoured by his own popularity and absorbed into the absurdity of our time." -Christopher Tolkien

squire
Half-elven

Feb 19 2017, 3:54pm

Post #31 of 46 (2117 views)
Shortcut
Not sure - waiting for the book. [In reply to] Can't Post

No, The Hobbit project has made me very wary of how the media world now sees Tolkien's work as license to turn out fantasy epics that follow Hollywood formulas rather than Tolkien's rather older-fashioned sense of romance and mythology.
Certainly I think we should all read the book before we jump into the next phase of this process.

Film - one film, no more than 2 1/2 hours.

Preferably actors I'm unfamiliar with, so that I will see Beren and Luthien and not a couple of movie stars.

5. What screenwriters/directors/producers do you think would create an adaptation that would satisfy your standards?
I'm not really confident that a producer/director creative enough to approach this tale on Tolkien's terms would get through the first door of the procedures needed to get a film made in the real world of Hollywood. I would say that Sir Peter Jackson should not do it, so that its nature as a Silmarillion story rather than a Lord of the Rings story would have a fighting chance to be apparent.

I would be very curious about the production's approach to the unworldly and mythical aspects: Huan, Morgoth, Sauron, Thingol, Melian, etc. The heart of the story seems to me to be the collision between mortal Men (Beren and his clan) with the supernal world of the original legendarium: immortals, gods, magic of all kinds. It's very hard to play such a conflict without irony, and Tolkien's work in this regard (in contrast to his more successful LotR works, featuring hobbits as commentators from a more modern world) is utterly lacking in irony.

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Archive: All the TORn Reading Room Book Discussions (including the 1st BotR Discussion!) and Footerama: "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
Dr. Squire introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Feb 20 2017, 12:40am

Post #32 of 46 (2088 views)
Shortcut
This is the one story I've been waiting for [In reply to] Can't Post

Though... as with most of the tales in the Sil... it's laced with much sadness and pain. My first wish would be for that to all be undone, but then the story wouldn't be right. But if we're wishing... that would be one of mine :) So please don't flame me on the unlikelihood or bizarre suggestions I make. I really do know better.... but it's fun to fantasize ;)

Yes, if it is done right! It would need to be made with the same integrity and respect Jackson, Boyens, and Walsh had for LotR/Hobbit.

Film. It would need to become part of the growing series of Tolkien's stories.

3. How much of the rest of The Silmarillion would you want to see?
I would like to see stories tied to the events in LotR and The Hobbit. Also stories of Galadriel and Celeborn; Elrond; Gil-galad; Earendil; Durin and the birth of the Dwarves; etc. Also, I think a story of Valinor would really give more weight to what it means to the Elves, Gandalf, and our hobbits who found a life there... and eventually to one very wise dwarf... which would also tie the stories together. Then there's the story of the Wizards; Gandalf, Saruman, and Radagast specifically. And, of course, the stories of Sauron; Minas Tirith... oh geez, I have to stop. Anything, any place, any kindred within the filmic stories is fair game, imho.

I really don't have anyone in mind. So many of the players in LotR/TH were so perfect in the characters they portrayed, and I hadn't heard of most of them before. I'd really love to have people who are not well known so they would not be a distraction and could fulfill their characters deeper.

Those who were either directly (pardon the pun) involved with the stories/films we know, or people who can bring the familiar feel and appearance of these films. The first one to come to mind if Jackson doesn't want to do it would be Andy Serkis and... who knows... Billy and/or Katie Jackson. They have a unique perspective and, by the time these films could begin to be made, would be of an age to meet the challenge.

If it fit, it would be great to see a small cameo by Galadriel, Cirdan, Elrond, Thranduil, Saruman... those who could potentially be (were) around during the stories in the Sil, though I know they don't really cross paths in most cases.

This is a fascinating set of questions and I had fun exploring the possibilities. I do it all the time with The Sil and the stories in the Appendices; but I know the likelihood of these ever being done is very small.

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observations List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observations List - May 15, 2014

5th draft of TH:BotFA Geeky Observations List - January 30, 2015

TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Feb 20 2017, 8:46pm

Post #33 of 46 (2048 views)
Shortcut
"Preferably actors I'm unfamiliar with". [In reply to] Can't Post

One of the most esteemed of all silent films is Carl Theodor Dreyer's The Passion of Joan of Arc, starring Maria Falconetti in the title role. Some critics have suggested that one reason the film holds such power is that Falconetti, a stage actress, appeared in only two other, little-seen films (ten years earlier), so that she was always only Joan, especially for viewers outside of France.

There are four lights.

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
Discuss Tolkien's life and works in the Reading Room!
+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=
How to find old Reading Room discussions.

Ettelewen
Rohan

Feb 20 2017, 10:58pm

Post #34 of 46 (2041 views)
Shortcut
This. [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't often go to see movies in the theater, and I don't watch a lot of TV, so it was a delicious treat for me to see The Fellowship of the Ring with so many relatively unknown actors! I could concentrate on the story rather than "oh, there's so-and-so from this role or that". I remember thinking, "So that's Boromir!, Ah yes, Gandalf!" It was lovely. I'd no recollection of watching Sean Bean in another role, and although I'd seen Ian McKellen a time or two he so owned Gandalf's character that there was no jarring impact to take me out of the story.

I would like to have that experience again.

Darkstone
Immortal

Feb 21 2017, 2:57pm

Post #35 of 46 (1996 views)
Shortcut
Then pity New Zealand fans [In reply to] Can't Post

Many of the LOTR actors were well-known faces from NZ's long running five-nights-a-week soap Shortland Street (Such as Karl Urban, Martin Csokas, Craig Parker, Robyn Malcolm, John Leigh, Sarah McLeod, Mark Ferguson, and, under Uruk makeup, Jed Brody, Ben Mitchell, and Robbie Magasiva).

As for Ian McKellen, a lot of fans strenuously objected to his casting because "He IS Magneto!"

Perhaps strangest of all was when Mark Ordesky's put together a quick demo tape of Mortensen’s roles in “Psycho” (1998), "The Prophecy” (1995), and “Texas Chainsaw Massacre III” (1990) to pitch Viggo for Aragorn. It shouldn't surprise anyone that slashmeister PJ loved it and immediately offered Mortensen the role.

Anyway, as Liv said to Steven Tyler of Aerosmith when he was so amazed about her transformation into Arwen, "That's what acting's all about, Daddy!"

“Begone, foul dwimmerlaik, lord of carrion! Leave the dead in peace!"
"Come not between the Nazgul and his prey! Or he will not slay thee in thy turn. He will bear thee away to the houses of lamentation, beyond all darkness, where thy flesh shall be devoured, and thy shrivelled mind be left naked to the Lidless Eye."
"Do what you will; but I will hinder it, if I may."
"Hinder me? Thou fool. No living man may hinder me!"
"But no living man am I! I am Eowyn, daughter of Theodwyn!”
"Er, really? My mother's name was Theodwyn, too!"
"No way!"
"Way!"
"Wow! Let's stop fighting and be best friends!"
"Cool!!"

-Zack Snyder's The Return of the King

Starling
Half-elven

Feb 21 2017, 5:21pm

Post #36 of 46 (1988 views)
Shortcut
So true, [In reply to] Can't Post

especially when watching the theatrical release of The Two Towers. I vividly remember the sniggers when some of the well known Kiwi actors appeared, especially John Leigh ("There's Lionel - he didn't die after all!)
And Craig Parker, whose name I have trouble remembering. I still call him 'Guy Warner'. I still can't get over seeing him in his lovely blonde wig.

I missed a lot of the dialogue due to the laughter in the theatre.

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 21 2017, 5:37pm

Post #37 of 46 (1988 views)
Shortcut
Exactly. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
especially John Leigh ("There's Lionel - he didn't die after all!)

That was my exact thought. Thankfully, that's the only time I was ripped right out of the magic of the films.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

noWizardme
Half-elven

Feb 22 2017, 10:59am

Post #38 of 46 (1960 views)
Shortcut
The "Ohh Look, there's X" problem [In reply to] Can't Post

The "Ohh Look, there's X" problem (in which you distactingly recognise an actor as a character they played in another show) seems to apply to some actors more than others (at least, that's how it seems to me). For example Ian Holm seems to move between roles well - seeing him as Bilbo I didn't think "Oh look there's ...

=>Ash, from Ridley Scott's Alien, or
=>Sam Mussabini the coach from Chariots of Fire, or
=>Napoleon (variously from the 1972 television series Napoleon and Love; or Terry Gilliam's Time Bandits from 1981; or in 2001 film about Napoleon in exile, The Emperor's New Clothes).

I wonder why that is? To do with an actor's ability to make each character different, perhaps; or to do with a tendency to re-cast actors in roles like ones they have already done? It can't all be just re-casting though: I did find it odd that Eomer and Syler were having a chat on the bridge of the rebooted Enterprise, even though those actors were now acting differently as Spock and McCoy...

~~~~~~
Where's that old read-through discussion?
A wonderful list of links to previous chapters in the 2014-2016 LOTR read-through (and to previous read-throughs) is curated by our very own 'squire' here http://users.bestweb.net/...-SixthDiscussion.htm

(This post was edited by noWizardme on Feb 22 2017, 11:01am)

ange1e4e5
Gondor

Feb 22 2017, 11:24am

Post #39 of 46 (1957 views)
Shortcut
To be honest, it doesn't bother me. [In reply to] Can't Post

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 22 2017, 6:12pm

Post #40 of 46 (1948 views)
Shortcut
"Ooooh look there's Tom Cruise, [In reply to] Can't Post

playing Tom Cruise. Again."

Evil

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Feb 24 2017, 4:10am

Post #41 of 46 (1913 views)
Shortcut
addendum to my #5 [In reply to] Can't Post

Those who were either directly (pardon the pun) involved with the stories/films we know, or people who can bring the familiar feel and appearance of these films. The first one to come to mind if Jackson doesn't want to do it would be Andy Serkis

There's this quote from an article in Variety in 2014... which gives me hope!!! :D

“If I had to start tomorrow, I would say no, because I definitely would appreciate a break to clear my head and get my little New Zealand stories done, which is where my passion and my heart is heading now,” Jackson told Variety. “But ask me in two or three years, and I’d probably say yes. It would be hard to see another filmmaker go into this world, because I certainly have an emotional ownership of it.”

sample

TIME Google Calendar

ange1e4e5
Gondor

Feb 28 2017, 11:33pm

Post #42 of 46 (1843 views)
Shortcut
Anyone else who isn't bothered by familiar actors? [In reply to] Can't Post

squire
Half-elven

Mar 1 2017, 12:08am

Post #43 of 46 (1835 views)
Shortcut
"I'm not an actor, I'm a movie star!" [In reply to] Can't Post

From what I can tell, a movie star owns a persona that fans fall in love with, and want to see again and again. A 'character actor' loses himself or herself in the role, and seems almost chameleon-like in the ability to surprise audiences with a new appearance or new personality.

Obviously there is quite a lot of overlap between these approaches to acting in films: a movie star is certainly an expert actor, only it's just at playing himself; and a well-known character actor always risks becomes a star in her own right as audiences increasingly recognize her underneath the various roles, make-up, and accents.

I have thought that Tolkien's characters, being more archetypal and romantic than fully-rounded and idiosyncratic, would be a real trap for any well-known film actor who swore he or she would really 'become' that Elf or hero or wizard or whatever. As for a high-end well-known movie star (like Peter O'Toole in 'My Favorite Year', quoted in my header), he would of course play himself no matter who it was he was supposed to be, Turin or Thingol or Morgoth or Sador - that's why he was cast, and that's what his audience expects, and that's why he gets paid the big bucks, as he knows perfectly well.

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Archive: All the TORn Reading Room Book Discussions (including the 1st BotR Discussion!) and Footerama: "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
Dr. Squire introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Mar 1 2017, 12:38pm

Post #44 of 46 (1821 views)
Shortcut
I like being able to count on familiar [In reply to] Can't Post

Most of John Wayne's movies have him as a familiar character whether it's a war movie, western, detective or a boxer living in Ireland. I also enjoy that he was surrounded by familiar faces fulfilling supporting roles (Ward Bond, Maureen O'Hara, Harry Carry jr, etc.). I really enjoy seeing characters I love changing-up the story (which is often familiar as well).

As Ataahua said, Tom Cruise is also a very consistent character actor.

One of the people I am always amazed with in his diversity is Peter Stormare. Who? You've seen him everywhere and he always delivers, imho.
He's from Sweden, but is known for playing many nationalities flawlessly. My favourites he played was in Armageddon and Constantine :D

Armageddon as the Russian Cosmonaut

Minority Report as the psyco doctor

Chocolat as an abusive husband

Jurassic Park: The Lost World as the big jerk lead-hand to the Hunter

Constantine as satan

The Big Lewbowski as one of the Nihilists

Even on the TV series The Blacklist in a recurring role as Berlin Kirchoff

sample

TIME Google Calendar

cats16
Half-elven

Mar 2 2017, 6:34am

Post #45 of 46 (1790 views)
Shortcut
Also gotta love... [In reply to] Can't Post

That nasty little role of his in Fargo. ShockedWink

Join us every weekend in the Hobbit movie forum for this week's CHOW (Chapter of the Week) discussion!

ange1e4e5
Gondor

Mar 10 2017, 2:50pm

Post #46 of 46 (1687 views)
Shortcut
"You're a smooth smoothie, you know?" [In reply to] Can't Post

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.