Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
Rogue One vs The Force Awakens
Poll: Rogue One vs The Force Awakens
Rogue One
The Force Awakens
View Results (31 votes)

HOBBITFAN13
Lorien

Feb 11 2017, 3:08am

Post #1 of 9 (1991 views)
Shortcut
Rogue One vs The Force Awakens Can't Post

Which movie do you like better?
Personally I think TFA is better by a small margin because I love the characters more in it than Rogue One and watching it again it is not a rehash of A New Hope like Phantom menace was. But I do think Rogue One was amazing too!

ange1e4e5
Rohan

Feb 13 2017, 1:38am

Post #2 of 9 (1932 views)
Shortcut
I don't care. [In reply to] Can't Post

They're both good, in my opinion.

malickfan
Gondor

Feb 13 2017, 2:32pm

Post #3 of 9 (1917 views)
Shortcut
I like both for different reasons [In reply to] Can't Post

TFA for the characters, music, and fun escapist tone.

Rogue One for the action scenes, cinematography, production design and callbacks to ANH.

Neither film had a truly memorable storyline and both had pacing issues but I'd happily watch them time and again.

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Feb 13 2017, 5:47pm

Post #4 of 9 (1904 views)
Shortcut
Hmmm...really tough call [In reply to] Can't Post

Kind of wish you had a "tie" option. I'd have to say "Rogue One" was the better movie, but it's unlikely I'll watch it over and over again like "The Force Awakens." Plus I loved John Boyega's character - what a crackup he was! But I feel a little differently than you - I felt TFA clung too closely to "A New Hope," whereas "Rogue One" did feel like a different story at least. Oh, decisions, decisionsCrazy (coin toss) Rogue One.

Annael
Immortal

Feb 13 2017, 6:08pm

Post #5 of 9 (1899 views)
Shortcut
Rogue One [In reply to] Can't Post

Gripping and not a remake.

sevilodorf
Grey Havens

Mar 22 2017, 12:24am

Post #6 of 9 (1662 views)
Shortcut
Six of one half dozen of another [In reply to] Can't Post

Rogue one does more of what I would like to see of the Star Wars universe. Or pans to the common everyday people

jlj93byu
Rivendell

Mar 22 2017, 4:51pm

Post #7 of 9 (1638 views)
Shortcut
Very 'meh' on both [In reply to] Can't Post

I didn't love either, but didn't hate either, as well. TFA was laughably similar to A New Hope to the point where it detracted for me and Rogue One just didn't quite mesh for me, although it gets the edge over TFA simply because it was far more original and executed just as well. Still, I enjoyed both to the tune of 6/10, I just wouldn't buy them and watch them repeatedly. That's also why I'm posting about them at TORN and not a Star Wars forum! :-) My inner nerd is fully committed to LOTR.

Ailsa
The Shire

Apr 12 2017, 3:38am

Post #8 of 9 (1488 views)
Shortcut
Rogue One [In reply to] Can't Post

Personally, I like Rogue One. For one thing, it has Darth Vader, the most implacable and capable foe. The new antagonist in TFA is a pathetic shadow of him - a poor copy, but a copy nevertheless. TFA reads a lot like an updated rendition of ANH with a few cosmetic changes (changing the hero into a heroine hardly registers as a change). I would have liked Rogue One to have had a happier ending - a last minute rescue of the protagonists - this is an escapist fare after all. But the self sacrifice of the hero & heroine does have poetic vibes.

Fereth
Rivendell

Apr 12 2017, 6:17pm

Post #9 of 9 (1477 views)
Shortcut
Liked both. [In reply to] Can't Post

TFA just did a better job making me care about the characters than R1 did. I especially disliked the CGI Tarkin and Princess Leia, I would have much preferred that they had recast the characters.

(This post was edited by Fereth on Apr 12 2017, 6:18pm)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.