Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
Which unfinished story do you most wish Tolkien had finished?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

squire
Half-elven

Feb 19 2017, 8:55pm

Post #26 of 27 (461 views)
Shortcut
It was never even begun - only a plot outline was written down. [In reply to] Can't Post

I think the outline of a Farmer Giles sequel exists, and has been published in a recent deluxe edition of the book.

In his Letters, Tolkien for a while tried to satisfy his publishers' request for something to follow The Hobbit's success, by sending them 'Farmer Giles' and some ideas for a sequel or sequels. The idea was to create a selection of 'stories from the Little Kingdom', or some such. Tolkien admitted that his 'Lord of the Ring' project was a much more substantial and worthwhile piece, but he was worried that it was taking too long.

From Letter 36, Feb. 10, 1939, to C. A. Furth at Allen & Unwin, we get a quick reference to the sequel idea:
Did Farmer Giles in the enlarged form meet with any sort of approval? (I received the typescript safely.) Is it worth anything? Are two more stories, or any more stories of the Little Kingdom, worth contemplating? For instance the completion in the same form of the adventures of Prince George (the farmer's son) and the fat boy Suovetaurilius (vulgarly Suet), and the Battle of Otmoor. I just wonder whether this local family game played in the country just round us is more than silly. [bold by squire.]
In later letters, through the 1940s, Tolkien referred several more times to this idea of a Farmer GIles lengendarium, even after his publishers put the slim little book out by itself, but he never developed more than the outline or plot/character sketch referred to above. As he put it, the growing LotR story, and its increasing links to his Silmarilion cycle, had absorbed all of his creative energies.

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Archive: All the TORn Reading Room Book Discussions (including the 1st BotR Discussion!) and Footerama: "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
Dr. Squire introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

Meneldor
Valinor

Feb 19 2017, 9:48pm

Post #27 of 27 (452 views)
Shortcut
Neat. [In reply to] Can't Post

Something else for me to read when I get to heaven. Smile

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters, these see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep. -Psalm 107

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.