Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
TIME - January 17
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jan 17 2017, 1:52pm

Post #1 of 33 (1286 views)
Shortcut
TIME - January 17 Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth

January 17, 3019 (S.R. 1419)
1. The Company arrives at Caras Galadon in the evening.
(from the appendices)
..."That night the Company slept upon the ground, much to the satisfaction of the hobbits. The Elves spread... ...a pavilion among the trees near the fountain, and in it they laid soft couches; then speaking words of peace with fair elvish voices they left them. For a little while the travellers talked of their night before in the tree-tops, and of their day's journey, and of the Lord and Lady; for they had not yet the heart to look further back.
...'What did you blush for, Sam?' said Pippin. 'You soon broke down. Anyone would have thought you had a guilty conscience. I hope it was nothing worse than a wicked plot to steal one of my blankets.'
...'I never thought no such thing,' answered Sam, in no mood for jest. 'If you want to know, I felt as if I hadn't got nothing on, and I didn't like it. She seemed to be looking inside me and asking me what I would do if she gave me the chance of flying back home to the Shire to a nice little hole with—with a bit of garden of my own.'
...'That's funny,' said Merry. 'Almost exactly what I felt... ...only well, I don't think I'll say any more,' he ended lamely.
...All of them, it seemed, had fared alike: each had felt that he was offered a choice between a shadow full of fear that lay ahead, and something that he greatly desired... ...and to get it he had only to turn aside from the road and leave the Quest and the war against Sauron to others....
...'...To me it seemed exceedingly strange,' said Boromir. 'Maybe it was only a test, and she thought to read our thoughts for her own good purpose... ...I should have said that she was tempting us, and offering what she pretended to have the power to give. It need not be said that I refused to listen. The Men of Minas Tirith are true to their word.' But what he thought that the Lady had offered him Boromir did not tell.
...And as for Frodo, he would not speak, though Boromir pressed him with questions. 'She held you long in her gaze, Ring-bearer,' he said.
...'Yes... ...but whatever came into my mind then I will keep there.'
...'Well, have a care!' said Boromir. 'I do not feel too sure of this Elvish Lady and her purposes.'
...'Speak no evil of the Lady Galadriel!' said Aragorn sternly. 'You know not what you say. There is in her and in this land no evil, unless a man bring it hither himself... ...But tonight I shall sleep without fear for the first time since I left Rivendell. And may I sleep deep, and forget for a while my grief! I am weary in body and in heart.' He cast himself down upon his couch and fell at once into a long sleep.
...They remained some days in Lothlórien, so far as they could tell or remember."

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observations List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observations List - May 15, 2014

5th draft of TH:BotFA Geeky Observations List - January 30, 2015

TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

(This post was edited by grammaboodawg on Jan 17 2017, 1:52pm)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jan 18 2017, 12:36pm

Post #2 of 33 (1192 views)
Shortcut
It's time for some BS! [In reply to] Can't Post

Over the next 4 days, let's have some Book Spoilers on the story of Túrin son of Húrin... for a moment of Tolkien-zen.

From Of Túrin Turambar: The Silmarillion

..."[When] Túrin was but eight years old...Morwen [his mother] feared greatly that Túrin would be taken from her and enslaved. Therefore it came into her heart to send him away in secret... ...to beg King Thingol to harbour him...
......Morwen sent Túrin forth over the mountains with two aged servants... ...into the kingdom of Doriath. Thus was the fate of Túrin woven...
......Túrin and his companions passing through great perils came at last to the borders of Doriath; and... ...were found by Beleg Strongbow, chief of the marchwardens of King Thingol, who led them to Menegroth...
......Thingol received Túrin, and took him even to his own fostering... ...Thereafter messengers went north to Hithlum, bidding Morwen leave Dor-lómin and return with them to Doriath... ...she would not leave the house in which she had dwelt with Húrin....
...Túrin grew fair and strong in Doriath, but he was marked with sorrow. For nine years he dwelt in Thingol's halls, and ... ...his grief grew less; for messengers went at times to Hithlum, and returning they brought better tidings of Morwen and Nienor [his sister]."
...But there came a day when the messengers did not return out of the north, and Thingol would send no more. Then Túrin was filled with fear for his mother and his sister... ...in grimness of heart he went before the King and asked for mail and sword... ...and went out to battle on the marches of Doriath, and became the companion in arms of Beleg Cúthalion...
......when three years had passed, Túrin returned again to Menegroth; but he came from the wild, and was unkempt, and his gear and garments were way-worn...."

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jan 19 2017, 12:21pm

Post #3 of 33 (1170 views)
Shortcut

Over the few days, we're looking at some Book Spoilers on the story of Túrin son of Húrin... for a moment of Tolkien-zen.

... "...in Doriath... ...high in the counsels of the King; Saeros... ...had long begrudged Túrin the honour he received as Thingol's fosterson; and ... ...taunted him, saying:
... 'If the Men of Hithlum are so wild and fell, of what sort are the women of that land? Do they run like deer clad only in their hair?' Then Túrin in great anger took up a drinking-vessel, and cast it at Saeros; and he was grievously hurt....
... ...the next day Saeros waylaid Túrin as he set out... ...to return to the marches; but Túrin overcame him, and set him ... ...fleeing in terror before him [and] fell into the chasm of a stream, and his body was broken on a great rock in the water.....

... ....others coming saw what was done... ...Mablung was among them; and he bade Túrin return with him... ...and abide the judgement of the King, seeking his pardon. But Túrin, deeming himself now an outlaw and fearing to be held captive, refused Mablung's bidding, and turned swiftly away... ...into the woods west of Sirion. There he joined himself to a band of such houseless and desperate men as could be found in those evil days lurking in the wild; and... ...turned against all who came in their path, Elves and Men and Orcs.
... But when all that had befallen was told... ...Thingol, the King pardoned Túrin, holding him wronged. In that time Beleg Strongbow returned from the north marches and came to Menegroth... ...and Thingol spoke to Beleg, saying: 'I grieve... ...for I took Húrin's son as my son, and so he shall remain, unless Húrin himself should return out of the shadows to claim his own. I would not have any say that Túrin was driven forth unjustly into the wild, and gladly would I welcome him back; for I loved him well....'
... ...Beleg answered: 'I will seek Túrin until I find him, and I will bring him back to Menegroth, if I can; for I love him also.'
... Then Beleg departed from Menegroth, and far across Beleriand he sought in vain for tidings of Túrin through many perils."

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jan 20 2017, 12:42pm

Post #4 of 33 (1156 views)
Shortcut
It's time for some more BS! [In reply to] Can't Post

This is one of two more Book Spoilers on the story of Túrin son of Húrin... for a moment of Tolkien-zen.

... "...Túrin abode long among the outlaws, and became their captain; and he named himself Neithan, the Wronged. Very warily they dwelt in the wooded lands... ...but when a year had passed since Túrin fled from Doriath, Beleg came upon their lair by night... ...at that time Túrin was gone from the camp; and the outlaws seized Beleg and bound him, and treated him cruelly, for they feared him as a spy of the King of Doriath...
... ...Túrin returning and seeing what was done, was stricken with remorse for all their evil and lawless deeds; and he released Beleg, and they renewed their friendship... ...Túrin foreswore thenceforward war or plunder against all save the servants of Angband.
... Then Beleg told Túrin of King Thingol's pardon; and... ...sought to persuade him... ...to return with him to Doriath, saying that there was great need of his strength and valour on the north marches of the realm... '...We are needed there.'

... But in the pride of his heart Túrin refused the pardon of the King, and the words of Beleg were of no avail... ...he for his part urged Beleg to remain with him... ...but that Beleg would not do, and he said: 'Hard you are, Túrin, and stubborn... ...If you wish indeed to have the Strongbow beside you, look for me in Dimbar; for thither I shall return.'
... On the next day Beleg set out, and Túrin went with him a bowshot from the camp... '...Is it farewell, then, son of Húrin?' said Beleg. Then Túrin looked out westward... ...he answered: 'You have said, seek me in Dimbar. But I say, seek for me on Amon Rûdh! Else, this is our last farewell.' Then they parted, in friendship, yet in sadness."

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jan 21 2017, 11:18am

Post #5 of 33 (1141 views)
Shortcut
It's time for some MORE BS! [In reply to] Can't Post

This is the last of a group of Book Spoilers on the story of Túrin son of Húrin, but we'll pick up a bit more in a few days... for a moment of Tolkien-zen.

... "...Beleg returned... ...coming before Thingol and Melian he told them of all that had befallen, save only of his evil handling by Túrin's companions. Then Thingol sighed, and he said:
... 'What more would Túrin have me do?'
... 'Give me leave, lord,' said Beleg, 'and I will guard him and guide him as I may... ...no man shall say that elven-words are lightly spoken. Nor would I wish to see so great a good run to nothing in the wild.'
... Then Thingol gave Beleg leave to do as he would...'...Beleg Cúthalion! For many deeds you have earned my thanks; but not the least is the finding of my fosterson. At this parting ask for any gift, and I will not deny it to you.'
... 'I ask then for a sword of worth,' said Beleg; 'for the Orcs come now too thick and close for a bow only... ...such blade as I have is no match for their armour.'
... 'Choose from all that I have,' said Thingol, 'save only Aranrúth, my own.'
... ...Beleg chose Anglachel... ...it was so named because it was made of iron that fell from heaven as a blazing star; it would cleave all earth-delved iron. One other sword only in Middle-earth was like to it. That sword does not enter into this tale...
... ...But as Thingol turned the hilt of Anglachel towards Beleg, Melian looked at the blade; and she said: 'There is malice in this sword. The dark heart of the smith still dwells in it. It will not love the hand it serves...'
... '...Nonetheless I will wield it while I may,' said Beleg.
... 'Another gift I will give to you, Cúthalion,' said Melian, 'that shall be your help in the wild, and... ...also of those whom you choose.' And she gave him store of lembas, the waybread of the Elves, wrapped in leaves of silver... ...a wafer of white wax shaped as a single flower of Telperion... ...the keeping and giving of lembas belonged to the Queen alone. In nothing did Melian show greater favour to Túrin than in this gift; for the Eldar had never before allowed Men to use this waybread, and seldom did so again.
...Then Beleg departed with these gifts from Menegroth and went back to the north marches... ...Then in Dimbar the Orcs were driven back, and Anglachel rejoiced to be unsheathed...
......when the winter came, and war was stilled, suddenly his companions missed Beleg, and he returned to them no more...
......Beleg parted from the outlaws and returned into Doriath"

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jan 22 2017, 1:41pm

Post #6 of 33 (1125 views)
Shortcut
TIME - January 22 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth

January 22, 3019 (S.R. 1419)
1. The Fellowship rests in Lothlórien. [While Gandalf deals with the Balrog in the mountain.]
(not from the appendices)
..."They remained some days in Lothlórien, so far as they could tell or remember.... ...The air was cool and soft, as if it were early spring, yet they felt about them the deep and thoughtful quiet of winter. It seemed to them that they did little but eat and drink and rest, and walk among the trees; and it was enough.
...They had not seen the Lord and Lady again, and they had little speech with any of the Elven-folk; for few of these spoke any but their own silvan tongue. Haldir had... ...gone back again to the fences of the North, where great watch was now kept since the tidings of Moria that the Company had brought. Legolas was away much among the Galadrim, and after the first night he did not sleep with the other companions, though he returned to eat and talk with them. Often he took Gimli with him when he went abroad in the land, and the others wondered at this change."

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jan 23 2017, 11:15am

Post #7 of 33 (1113 views)
Shortcut
TIME - January 23 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth

January 23, 3019 (S.R. 1419)
1. [As the remaining Fellowship rests in Lothlórien] Gandalf pursues the Balrog to the peak of Zirak-zigil.
(from the appendices)
..."''Long time I fell... ...Long I fell, and he fell with me. His fire was about me. I was burned. Then we plunged into the deep water and all was dark. Cold it was as the tide of death: almost it froze my heart... ...it has a bottom, beyond light and knowledge,' said Gandalf. 'Thither I came at last, to the uttermost foundations of stone. He was with me still. His fire was quenched, but now he was a thing of slime, stronger than a strangling snake.
...'We fought far under the living earth, where time is not counted. Ever he clutched me, and ever I hewed him, till at last he fled into dark tunnels. They were not made by Durin's folk... ...Far, far below the deepest delvings of the Dwarves, the world is gnawed by nameless things. Even Sauron knows them not. They are older than he. Now I have walked there, but I will bring no report to darken the light of day. In that despair my enemy was my only hope, and I pursued him, clutching at his heel....""

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jan 24 2017, 1:41pm

Post #8 of 33 (1101 views)
Shortcut
TIME - January 24 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth

January 24, 3019 (S.R. 1419)
[As the remaining Fellowship rests in Lothlórien] Gandalf continues to pursue the Balrog to the peak of Zirak-zigil.
..."'Thus he brought me back at last to the secret ways of Khazad-dûm: too well he knew them all. Ever up now we went, until we came to the Endless Stair... ...it had not been destroyed,' said Gandalf. 'From the lowest dungeon to the highest peak it climbed, ascending in unbroken spiral in many thousand steps, until it issued at last in Durin's Tower carved in the living rock of Zirak-zigil, the pinnacle of the Silvertine.""

January 24, 3020 (S.R. 1420)
1. Hobbiton is busy healing the hurts of Saruman.
..."Sam stayed at first at the Cottons' with Frodo; but when the New Row was ready he went with the Gaffer. In addition to all his other labours he was busy directing the cleaning up and restoring of Bag End..."

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jan 25 2017, 1:26pm

Post #9 of 33 (1094 views)
Shortcut
TIME - January 25 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth

January 25, 3019 (S.R. 1419)
1. Gandalf casts the Balrog from the mountain, but passes away afterwards. His body lies on the peak.
(from the appendices)
..."'There upon Celebdil was a lonely window in the snow and before it lay a narrow space, a dizzy eyrie above the mists of the world... ...Out he sprang, and even as I came behind, he burst into new flame. There was none to see, or perhaps in after ages songs would still be sung of the Battle of the Peak.' Suddenly Gandalf laughed. 'But what would they say in song? Those that looked up from afar thought that the mountain was crowned with storm. Thunder they heard, and lightening... ...smote upon Celebdil, and leaped back broken into tongues of fire.... ...A great smoke rose about us, vapour and steam. Ice fell like rain. I threw down my enemy, and he fell from the high place and broke the mountain-side where he smote it in his ruin. Then darkness took me, and I strayed out of thought and time, and I wandered far on roads that I will not tell...'"

[Gandalf does not return to "life" for 20 days. This part of the story continues on February 14.]

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jan 26 2017, 1:28pm

Post #10 of 33 (1081 views)
Shortcut
TIME - January 26 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth

January 26, 3019 (S.R. 1419)
1. The Fellowship rests in Lothlórien. [Having defeated the Balrog, Gandalf's body lies on the snowy peak of Celebdil]
..."Now as the companions sat or walked together they spoke of Gandalf, and all that each had known and seen of him came clear before their minds. As they were healed of hurt and weariness of body the grief of the loss grew more keen. Often they heard nearby Elvish voices singing, and knew that they were making songs of lamentation... ...for they caught his name among the sweet sad words that they could not understand.
...Mithrandir, Mithrandir sang the Elves, O Pilgrim Grey! For so they loved to call him. But if Legolas was with the Company, he would not interpret the songs for them, saying that he had not the skill, and that for him the grief was still too near, a matter for tears and not yet for song."

Lament for Gandalf
(featured in Lothlórien)
(Solo by Elizabeth Fraser)

(Sindarin)

In gwidh ristennin
i fae narc hannen
I Lach Anor ed ardhon gwannen

Mithrandir, Mithrandir! A Randir Vithren!
U-reniathach i amar galen
I reniad lín ne môr, nuithannen

(Chorus in Quenya)

Ilfirin nairelma nauva i nauva
Ilfirin nairelma ar ullume nucuvalme
Nauva i nauva melme nóren sina naire lma

(Sindarin text)

'The bonds cut,
the spirit broken
The Flame of Anor has left this World'

Mithrandir, Mithrandir, O Pilgrim Grey!
No more will you wander the world green.
Your journey in darkness stopped.'

(Quenya text)

'Undying [is] our regret, [it] will be what will be [or 'What should be shall be']
Undying [is] our regret and yet we will cast all away,
[It] will be what will be, love for this land [is] our regret.'

Lothlórien
(performed by Elizabeth Frazer)

A Olórin i yaresse… (Olórin who once was…)
Mentaner i Numeherui (Sent by the Lords of the West)
Tírien i Rómenóri… (To guard the Lands of the East…)
Maiaron i Oiosaila, (Wisest of all Maiar,)
Manan elye etevanne (What drove you to leave)
Nórie i malanelye? (That which you loved?)
Ú-reniathach (No more will you wander)
I amar galen (The green fields of this earth)
I reniad lín ne môr, nuithannen (Your journey has ended in darkness.)
In gwidh ristennin, (the bonds are sundered,)
i fae narchannen (the spirit is broken)
I Lach Anor ed ardhon gwennen. (The flame of Anor has left this world.)
Calad veleg, ethuiannen. (A great light, has gone out.)

(Choir text)

Melme nóren sina (Our love for this land)
núra ala (Is deeper that the deeps)
Eäro. (of the sea)
Ilfirin nairelma (Our regret is undying)
ullume nucuvalme. (Yet we will cast all away, rather than submit)
Nauva i nauva... (What should be shall be.)

[Credit for these lyrics and notes goes to TheOneRing.net; Language in The Lord of the Rings Movie by Galadhorn – elvish.org which is linked through TheOneRing.net; an article in Music from the Movies, number 42; Warner Brothers sheet music; Lord of the Rings Soundtrack inserts; and various sites I've visited over the past 5 years but cannot remember their names! Anything music-oriented that you could possibly be curious about can be found at Magpie's Nest.]

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jan 27 2017, 12:09pm

Post #11 of 33 (1074 views)
Shortcut
It's time for a special BS! [In reply to] Can't Post

Here's a Book Spoiler for our very own Quickbeam... Happy Birthday, Oh Hasty One... for a moment of Tolkien-zen.

From Many Partings: The Two Towers

..."'Hm, hoom, here I am again,' said Treebeard. 'Are you getting weary, or feeling impatient, hmm, eh? Well, I am afraid that you must not get impatient yet. We have finished the first stage now… ...I have brought you a companion. He has an ent-house nearby. Bregalad is his Elvish name. He says he has already made up his mind and does not need to remain at the Moot. Hm, hm, he is the nearest thing among us to a hasty Ent. You ought to get on together...' ...Treebeard turned and left them.
...Bregalad stood for some time surveying the hobbits solemnly; and they looked at him, wondering when he would show any signs of 'hastiness'. He was tall, and seemed to be one of the younger Ents; he had smooth shining skin on his arms and legs; his lips were ruddy, and his hair was grey-green. He could bend and sway like a slender tree in the wind. At last he spoke, and his voice though resonant was higher and clearer than Treebeard's.
...'Ha, hmm, my friends, let us go for a walk!' he said. 'I am Bregalad, that is Quickbeam in your language. But it is only a nickname... ...They have called me that ever since I said yes to an elder Ent before he had finished his question. Also I drink quickly, and go out while some are still wetting their beards. Come with me!'
...He reached down two shapely arms and gave a long-fingered hand to each of the hobbits. All that day they walked about in the woods with him, singing, and laughing; for Quickbeam often laughed. He laughed if the sun came out from behind a cloud, he laughed if they came upon a stream or spring... ...he laughed sometimes at some sound or whisper in the trees."

TORn's Master of Ceremonies, Host of TORn Tuesday and Contributor to TORn's Green Books
Happy Birthday! :D

sample

TIME Google Calendar

(This post was edited by grammaboodawg on Jan 27 2017, 12:21pm)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jan 28 2017, 12:56pm

Post #12 of 33 (1062 views)
Shortcut
TIME - January 28 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth

January 28, 3019 (S.R. 1419)
1. The Fellowship rests in Lothlórien. [Having defeated the Balrog, Gandalf's body lies on the snowy peak of Celebdil]
..."It was Frodo who first put something of his sorrow into halting words. He was seldom moved to make song or rhyme; even in Rivendell he had listened and had not sung himself... ...But now as he sat beside the fountain in Lórien and heard about him the voices of the Elves, his thought took shape in a song that seemed fair to him; yet when he tried to repeat it to Sam only snatches remained, faded as a handful of withered leaves.

When evening in the Shire was grey
his footsteps on the Hill were heard;
before the dawn he went away
on journey long without a word.

From Wilderland to Western shore,
from northern waste to southern hill,
through dragon-lair and hidden door
and darkling woods he walked at will.

With Dwarf and Hobbit, Elves and Men,
with mortal and immortal folk,
with bird on bough and beast in den,
in their own secret tongues he spoke.

A deadly sword, a healing hand,
a back that bent beneath its load;
a trumpet-voice, a burning brand,
a weary pilgrim on the road.

A lord of wisdom throned he sat,
swift in anger, quick to laugh;
an old man in a battered hat
who leaned upon a thorny staff.

He stood upon the bridge alone
and Fire and Shadow both defied;
is staff was broken on the stone,
in Khazad-dûm his wisdom died.

...'Why, you'll be beating Mr. Bilbo next!' said Sam.
...'No, I am afraid not,' said Frodo. 'But that is the best I can do yet.'
...'Well, Mr. Frodo, if you do have another go, I hope you'll say a word about his fireworks... ...Something like this:

The finest rockets ever seen:
they burst in stars of blue and green,
or after thunder golden showers
came falling like a rain of flowers.

Though that doesn't do them justice by a long road.'
...'No, I'll leave that to you, Sam. Or perhaps to Bilbo. But—well, I can't talk of it any more. I can't bear to think of bringing the news to him.'"

[Tolkien, 1965 Ballantine, p. 465-465 FotR: Lord of the Rings]

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jan 29 2017, 6:41pm

Post #13 of 33 (1045 views)
Shortcut

Here's a Book Spoiler that peeks in on Sam's relatives… for a moment of Tolkien-zen.

From The Shadow of the Past: FotR

Cousin Hal
..."'Queer things you do hear these days, to be sure,' said Sam.
... 'Ah,' said Ted, 'you do, if you listen. But I can hear fireside-tales and children's stories at home, if I want to.'
... 'No doubt you can,' retorted Sam, 'and I daresay there's more truth in some of them than you reckon. Who invented the stories anyway? Take dragons now... ...what about these Tree-men, these giants, as you might call them? They do say that one bigger than a tree was seen up away beyond the North Moors not long back.'
... 'Who's they?'
... "'My cousin Hal for one. He works for Mr. Boffin at Overhill and goes up to the Northfarthing for the hunting. He saw one.'
... 'Says he did, perhaps. Your Hal's always saying that he's seen things; and maybe he sees things that ain't there.'
... 'But this one was as big as an elm tree, and walking--walking seven yards to a stride, if it was an inch.'
... 'Then I bet it wasn't an inch. What he saw was an elm tree, as like as not.'
... 'But this one was walking, I tell you; and there ain't no elm tree on the North Moors... ...you can't deny that others besides our Halfast have seen queer folk crossing the Shire--crossing it, mind you: there are more that are turned back at the borders. The Bounders have never been so busy before.'"

From Lothlórien: FotR

Uncle Andy
... "When this slender bridge had been made, the Company passed over, some cautiously and slowly, others more easily. Of the hobbits... ...Sam shuffled along, clutching hard, and looking down into the pale eddying water as if it was a chasm in the mountains.
... He breathed with relief when he was safely across. 'Live and learn! as my gaffer used to say. Though he was thinking of gardening, not of roosting like a bird, nor of trying to walk like a spider. Not even my uncle Andy ever did a trick like that!'"

From The Taming of Sméagol: Two Towers

... "To the complete surprise of both the hobbits it came loose. Sam fell over, and the long grey coils slithered silently down on top of him. Frodo laughed. 'Who tied the rope?' he said. 'A good thing it held as long as it did! To think that I trusted all my weight to your knot!'
... Sam did not laugh. 'I may not be much good at climbing, Mr. Frodo,' he said in injured tones, 'but I do know something about rope and about knots. It's in the family, as you might say. Why, my grand-dad, and my uncle Andy after him, him that was the Gaffer's eldest brother, he had a rope-walk over by Tighfield many a year. And I put as fast a hitch over the stump as any one could have done, in the Shire or out of it.'"

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jan 30 2017, 12:37pm

Post #14 of 33 (1037 views)
Shortcut

Here's a Book Spoiler that looks at how Black Riders interact with Shire-folk… for a moment to Tolkien-zen.

From Three Is Company: The Fellowship of the Ring

"'There are some Men about,' said Frodo. 'Down in the Southfarthing they have had trouble with Big people, I believe. But I have never heard of anything like this rider. I wonder where he comes from.'
'Begging your pardon,' put in Sam suddenly, 'I know where he comes from. It's from Hobbiton that this here black rider comes, unless there's more than one. And I know where he's going to.'
'What do you mean?' said Frodo sharply, looking at him in astonishment. 'Why didn't you speak up before?'
'I have only just remembered, sir. It was like this: when I got back to our hole yesterday evening with the key, my dad, he says to me: Hallo, Sam! he says. I thought you were away with Mr. Frodo this morning. There's been a strange customer asking for Mr. Baggins of Bag End, and he's only just gone. I've sent him on to Bucklebury. Not that I liked the sound of him. He seemed mighty put out, when I told him Mr. Baggins had left his old home for good. Hissed at me, he did. It gave me quite a shudder… … he wasn't' a hobbit. He was tall and black-like, and he stooped over me. I reckon it was one of the Big Folk from foreign parts. He spoke funny.
'I couldn't stay to hear more, sir, since you were waiting; and I didn't give much heed to it myself. The Gaffer is getting old, and more than a bit blind, and it must have been near dark when this fellow come up the Hill and found him taking the air at the end of our Row…'"
AND THEN

From A Shortcut to Mushrooms: The Fellowship of the Ring

"'There are some funny things going on today. Of course, we do get queer folk wandering in these parts at times… …[Farmer Maggot] said, shaking his head. 'But this fellow was the most outlandish I have ever set eyes on. He won't cross my land without leave a second time, not if I can stop it...
…He went up the lane towards the causeway not a long while back. He was a funny customer and asking funny questions… …What do you think that funny customer asked me…?'
'…Well,' the farmer continued, approaching his point with slow relish, 'he came riding on a big black horse in at the gate, which happened to be open, and right up to my door. All black he was himself, too, and cloaked and hooded up, as if he did not want to be known. "Now what in the Shire can he want?" I thought to myself. We don't see many of the Big Folk over the border; and anyway I had never heard of any like this black fellow.
'"Good-day to you!" I says, going out to him. "This lane don't lead anywhere, and wherever you may be going, your quickest way will be back to the road." I didn't like the looks of him; and when Grip came out, he took one sniff and let out a yelp as if he had been stung: he put down his tail and bolted off howling. The black fellow sat quite still.
'"I come from yonder," he said, slow and stiff-like, pointing back west, over my fields, if you please. "Have you seen Baggins?" he asked in a queer voice, and bent down towards me. I could not see any face, for his hood fell down so low; and I felt a sort of shiver down my back. But I did not see why he should come riding over my land so bold.
'"Be off… … There are no Bagginses here. You're in the wrong part of the Shire. You had better go back west to Hobbiton--but you can go by road this time."
'"Baggins has left," he answered in a whisper. "He is coming. He is not far away. I wish to find him. If he passes will you tell me? I will come back with gold."
'"No you won't… …You'll go back where you belong, double quick. I give you one minute before I call all my dogs." 'He gave a short hiss. It might have been laughing, and it might not. Then he spurred his great horse right at me, and I jumped out of the way only just in time. I called the dogs, but he swung off, and rode through the gate and up the lane towards the causeway like a bolt of thunder….'"

sample

TIME Google Calendar

(This post was edited by dernwyn on Jan 31 2017, 12:46pm)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jan 31 2017, 12:06pm

Post #15 of 33 (1003 views)
Shortcut

Here's a Book Spoiler of one of my favourite descriptions... for a moment of Tolkien-zen.

From A Short Rest: The Hobbit

..."There were bogs, some of them green pleasant places to look at, with flowers growing bright and tall; but a pony that walked there with a pack on his back would never have come out again.
...It was indeed a much wider land from the ford to the mountains than ever you would have guessed. Bilbo was astonished. The only path was marked with white stones... ...Altogether it was a very slow business following the track even guided by Gandalf, who seemed to know his way about pretty well.
...His head and beard wagged this way and that as he looked for the stones, and they followed his head, but they seemed no nearer to the end of the search when the day began to fail. Tea-time had long gone by, and it seemed supper-time would soon do the same... ...the light became very dim, for the moon had not risen. Bilbo's pony began to stumble over roots and stones. They came to the edge of a steep fall in the ground so suddenly that Gandalf's horse nearly slipped down the slope.
..."Here it is at last!" he called, and the others gathered round him and looked over the edge. They saw a valley far below. They could hear the voice of hurrying water in a rocky bed at the bottom; the scent of trees was in the air; and there was a light on the valley-side across the water.
...Bilbo never forgot the way they slithered and slipped in the dusk down the steep zig-zag path into the secret valley of Rivendell. The air grew warmer as they got lower, and the smell of the pine-trees made him drowsy, so that every now and again he nodded and nearly fell off, or bumped his nose on the pony's neck. Their spirits rose as they went down and down... ...there was a comfortable feeling in the twilight. The last green had almost faded out of the grass, when they came at length to an open glade not far above the banks of the stream.
..."Hmmm! it smells like elves!" thought Bilbo, and he looked up at the stars."

sample

TIME Google Calendar

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 31 2017, 12:54pm

Post #16 of 33 (1001 views)
Shortcut
That has got to be one of the best lines Tolkien ever wrote! [In reply to] Can't Post

"'Hmmm! it smells like elves!' thought Bilbo, and he looked up at the stars."

Sensing the nearness of Faerie...the two "worlds" touching...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Feb 1 2017, 11:09am

Post #17 of 33 (982 views)
Shortcut
I wonder [In reply to] Can't Post

...if the Good Professor had that inspired line in his head for a long time (or a lightning-strike) and got all geeky as he approached this moment just for this line!! :D I know I get that way when I'm reading and can't WAIT to get to it!!!

*twitch*

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Feb 1 2017, 11:16am

Post #18 of 33 (984 views)
Shortcut

Here's a Book Spoiler showing that the Mirkwood Diet Plan isn't very fun... for a moment of Tolkien-zen.

From Flies and Spiders: The Hobbit

..."That night they ate their very last scraps and crumbs of food; and next morning when they woke the first thing they noticed was that they were still gnawingly hungry, and... ... they were also parchingly thirsty, without doing anything to relieve them: you cannot quench a terrible thirst by standing under giant oaks and waiting for a chance drip to fall on your tongue. The only scrap of comfort there was, came unexpectedly from Bombur.
... He woke up suddenly and... ...could not make out where he was at all, nor why he felt so hungry; for he had forgotten everything that had happened since they started their journey that May morning long ago. The last thing that he remembered was the party at the hobbit's house, and they had great difficulty in making him believe their tale of all the many adventurers they had had since.
... When he heard that there was nothing to eat, he sat down and wept, for he felt very weak and wobbly in the legs. "Why ever did I wake up... ...I was having such beautiful dreams. I dreamed I was walking in a forest rather like this one, only lit with torches on the trees and lamps swinging from the branches and fires burning on the ground; and there was a great feast going on, going on for ever. A woodland king was there with a crown of leaves, and there was a merry singing, and I could not count or describe the things there were to eat and drink."
... "You need not try," said Thorin. "In fact if you can't talk about something else... ...be silent. We are quite annoyed enough with you as it is. If you hadn't waked up, we should have left you to your idiotic dreams in the forest; you are no joke to carry even after weeks of short commons...."
... There was nothing now to be done but to... ...trudge along the track without any great hope of ever getting to the end before they lay down and died of starvation... ...Bombur kept on wailing that his legs would not carry him and that he wanted to lie down and sleep.
... "No you don't!" they said. "Let your legs take their share, we have carried you far enough...."
... ...he suddenly refused to go a step further and flung himself on the ground. "Go on, if you must... ...I'm just going to lie here and sleep and dream of food, if I can't get it any other way. I hope I never wake up again.""

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Feb 2 2017, 11:57am

Post #19 of 33 (966 views)
Shortcut
It's time for some special BS! [In reply to] Can't Post

February 2, 2017
In the U.S., we can't WAIT for February 2nd and the excitement of "weather" or not Puxsutawney Phil will see his shadow! All eyes are turned to Pennsylvania and that rodent's prediction! Although, I must admit, this winter in my part of Michigan has been pretty good this year!! No crippling snowstorms so far. Plus, we don't trust ol' Phil, so we watch our own fuzzy representative in Holly, Michigan... but we haven't seen the sun yet today. If the sun is shining, there's a lot more cold and a longer winter. If there's no shadow, we should be having an early Spring this year! OH THE DRAMA!

Here's a Book Spoiler that discusses the Celebrity of the Day... though really it's his badgering cousin... for a moment of Tolkien-zen.

From A Long-Expected Party: The Fellowship of the Ring

... "'Well yes--and no. Now it comes to it, I don't like parting with it at all, I may say. And I don't really see why I should. Why do you want me to?' he asked, and a curious change came over his voice. It was sharp with suspicion and annoyance. 'You are always badgering me about my ring; but you have never bothered me about the other things that I got on my journey.'
... 'No, but I had to badger you,' said Gandalf. 'I wanted the truth. It was important. Magic rings are--well, magical; and they are rare and curious.'"

From In the House of Tom Bombadil: The Fellowship of the Ring

... "Frodo looked at it closely, and rather suspiciously (like one who has lent a trinket to a juggler). It was the same Ring, or looked the same and weighed the same: for that Ring had always seemed to Frodo to weigh strangely heavy in the hand. But something prompted him to make sure. He was perhaps a trifle annoyed with Tom for seeming to make so light of what even Gandalf thought so perilously important. He waited for an opportunity when the talk was going again, and Tom was telling an absurd story about badgers and their queer ways—then he slipped the Ring on."

From A Journey in the Dark: The Fellowship of the Ring

... "'There must have been a mighty crowd of dwarves here at one time,' said Sam; 'and every one of them busier than badgers for five hundred years to make all this, and most in hard rock too!'"

From Helm's Deep: The Two Towers

... "'Do not judge the counsel of Gandalf, until all is over, lord,' said Aragorn.... 'The end will not be long,' said the king. 'But I will not end here, taken like an old badger in a trap. Snowmane and Hasufel and the horses of my guard are in the inner court. When dawn comes, I will bid men sound Helm's horn, and I will ride forth. Will you ride with me then son of Arathorn? Maybe we shall cleave a road, or make such an end as will be worth a

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Feb 2 2017, 10:18pm

Post #20 of 33 (954 views)
Shortcut
*sigh* Update... shadows aren't just in Mordor [In reply to] Can't Post

Looks like we've got 6 more weeks of Winter instead of an early Spring. Detroit News--Groundhog Day Prediction

I even kept an eye on the chipmunk in the woodpile out back. BUT... Michigan weather tends to do what it wants. One of our sayings is "Wait 5 minutes... it'll change!"

We'll see ;)

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Feb 3 2017, 12:47pm

Post #21 of 33 (934 views)
Shortcut

Here's the first of a 4-part Book Spoiler that looks at part of the story of the Trees or Arda... for a moment of Tolkien-zen.

From Of the Sun and Moon and the Hiding of Valinor: The Silmarillion

..."It is told that after the flight of Melkor the Valar sat long unmoved upon their thrones in the Ring of Doom; but they were not idle... ...For the Valar may work many things with thought rather than with hands, and without voices in silence they may hold council one with another. Thus they held vigil in the night of Valinor, and their thought passed back beyond Eä and forth to the End; yet neither power nor wisdom assuaged their grief... ...knowing of evil in the hour of its being...
......when at last the Valar learned that the Noldor had indeed... ...come back into Middle-earth, they arose and began to set forth in deeds those counsels which they had taken in thought for the redress of the evils of Melkor....
... ...Manwë bade Yavanna and Nienna to put forth all their powers of growth and healing; and they put forth all their powers upon the Trees. But the tears of Nienna availed not to heal their mortal wounds... ...for a long while Yavanna sang alone in the shadows. Yet even as hope failed and her song faltered, Telperion bore at last upon a leafless bough one great flower of silver, and Laurelin a single trait of gold.'"

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Feb 4 2017, 12:02pm

Post #22 of 33 (984 views)
Shortcut
It's time for some MORE BS! [In reply to] Can't Post

Here's part 2 of a 4-part Book Spoiler that looks at part of the story of the Trees of Arda... for a moment of Tolkien-zen.

... "[The fruit] Yavanna took; and then the Trees died, and their lifeless stems stand yet in Valinor, a memorial of vanished joy. But the flower and the fruit Yavanna gave to Aulë, and Manwë hallowed them, and Aulë and his people made vessels to hold them and preserve their radiance... ...These vessels the Valar gave to Varda, that they might become lamps of heaven, outshining the ancient stars, being nearer to Arda; and she gave them power to traverse... ...and set them to voyage upon appointed courses above the girdle of the Earth from the West unto the East and to return.
... These things the Valar did, recalling in their twilight the darkness of the lands of Arda; and they resolved now to illumine Middle-earth and with light to hinder the deeds of Melkor.... ...and Manwë knew also that the hour of the coming of Men was drawn nigh... ...Moreover it was not revealed to Manwë where the beginning of Men should be, north, south, or east. Therefore the Valar sent forth light, but made strong the land of their dwelling.
... Isil the Sheen the Vanyar of old named the Moon, flower of Telperion in Valinor; and Anar the Fire-golden, fruit of Laurelin, they named the Sun. But the Noldor named them also Rána, the Wayward, and Vása, the Heart of Fire, that awakens and consumes; for the Sun was set as a sign for the awakening of Men and the waning of the Elves, but the Moon cherishes their memory."

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Feb 5 2017, 3:07pm

Post #23 of 33 (945 views)
Shortcut
It's time for even more BS! [In reply to] Can't Post

Here's part 3 of a 4-part Book Spoiler that looks at part of the story of the Trees of Arda... for a moment of Tolkien-zen.

... "The maiden whom the Valar chose from among the Maiar to guide the vessel of the Sun was named Arien, and he that steered the island of the Moon was Tilion. In the days of the Trees Arien had tended the golden flowers in the gardens of Vána, and watered them with the bright dews of Laurelin; but Tilion was a hunter ... ...and he had a silver bow. He was a lover of silver... ...and going into Lórien he lay in dream by the pools of Estë, in Telperion's flickering beams; and he begged to be given the task of tending for ever the last Flower of Silver. Arien the maiden was mightier than he, and she was chosen because she had not feared the heats of Laurelin, and was unhurt by them, being from the beginning a spirit of fire, whom Melkor had not deceived nor drawn to his service. Too bright were the eyes of Arien for even the Eldar to look on, and leaving Valinor she forsook the form and raiment which like the Valar she had worn there, and she was as a naked flame, terrible in the fullness of her splendour."

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Feb 6 2017, 1:31pm

Post #24 of 33 (938 views)
Shortcut
It's time for one more BS! [In reply to] Can't Post

Here's the last of a 4-part Book Spoiler of the story of the Trees of Arda. It's just too cool to pass up... for a moment of Tolkien-zen.

**Isil, the Sheen the Vanyar of old named the Moon, flower of Telperion in Valinor.
**Anar, the Fire-golden, fruit of Laurelin in Valinor, they named the Sun.

... "Isil was first wrought and made ready, and first rose into the realm of the stars, and was the elder of the new lights, as was Telperion of the Trees… …for a while the world had moonlight, and many things stirred and woke that had waited long in the sleep of Yavanna. The servants of Morgoth were filled with amazement, but the Elves of the Outer Lands looked up in delight…

... …Tilion had traversed the heaven seven times, and thus was the furthest east, when the vessel of Arien was made ready. Then Anar arose in glory, and the first dawn of the Sun was like a great fire upon the towers of the Pelóri: the clouds of Middle-earth were kindled… …Then indeed Morgoth was dismayed, and he descended into the uttermost depths of Angband, and withdrew his servants, sending forth great reek and dark cloud to hide his land from the light of the Day-star…
... …Varda purposed that the two vessels should… …ever be aloft, but not together; each should pass from Valinor into the east and return, the one issuing from the west as the other turned from the east. Thus the first of the new days were reckoned after the manner of the Trees, from the mingling of the lights when Arien and Tilion passed in their courses, above the middle of the Earth. But Tilion was wayward and uncertain in speed, and held not to his appointed path… …he sought to come near to Arien, being drawn by her splendour, though the flame of Anar scorched him, and the island of the Moon was darkened.
... Because of the waywardness of Tilion… [and] … because of the prayers of Lórien and Estë, who said that sleep and rest had been banished from the Earth, and the stars were hidden, Varda changed her counsel, and allowed a time wherein the world should still have shadow and half-light. Anar rested therefore a while in Valinor, lying upon the cool bosom of the Outer Sea; and Evening, the time of the descent and resting of the Sun, was the hour of greatest light and joy in Aman."

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Feb 7 2017, 12:33pm

Post #25 of 33 (843 views)
Shortcut
It's time for even more BS! [In reply to] Can't Post

T'is a Book Spoiler showing Tolkien's lovely way of setting up an event and drawing you into it... for a moment of Tolkien-zen.

From The Palantír: The Two Towers

..."Pippin said no more. He lay still now, but sleep remained far away; and it was not encouraged by the sound of Merry breathing softly, asleep in a few minutes after saying good night. The thought of the dark globe seemed to grow stronger as all grew quiet. Pippin felt again its weight in his hands... ...saw again the mysterious red depths into which he had looked for a moment. He tossed and turned and tried to think of something else.
...At last he could stand it no longer. He got up and looked round. It was chilly, and he wrapped his cloak about him. The moon was shining cold and white... ...and the shadows of the bushes were black. All about lay sleeping shapes. The two guards were not in view... ...Driven by some impulse that he did not understand, Pippin walked softly to where Gandalf lay. He looked down at him. The wizard seemed asleep, but with lids not fully closed: there was a glitter of eyes under his long lashes. Pippin stepped back hastily. But Gandalf made no sign... ...drawn forward once more, half against is will, the hobbit crept up again from behind the wizard's head. He was rolled in a blanket... ...his cloak spread over the top; and close beside him, between his right side and his bent arm, there was a hummock, something round wrapped in a dark cloth; his hand seemed only just to have slipped off it to the ground.'
...Hardly breathing, Pippin crept nearer, foot by foot. At last he knelt down. Then he put his hands out stealthily, and slowly lifted the lump up..."

sample

TIME Google Calendar

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.