Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of The Rings:
How do you think these movies have dated?
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 20 2017, 1:42pm

Post #51 of 58 (1950 views)
Shortcut
Hi, Isilmo! [In reply to] Can't Post

On these message boards, all opinions are welcome. You've found that there are a handful of posters here who do not like the Hobbit movies at all, and never will.

But feel free to post your own ideas and opinions! I think it's great that you're just now reading the books, and can give a fresh comparison of them to the movies. Smile

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Isilmo
The Shire

Feb 20 2017, 1:56pm

Post #52 of 58 (1945 views)
Shortcut
Yes [In reply to] Can't Post

I have noticed that some people really dislike The Hobbit Trilogy but I love all six of the films. I think The Hobbit films are just as good as The Lord Of The Rings films. I'm also enjoying the books as well. The Hobbit was a great read and I'm enjoying Fellowship. I look forward to reading The Silmarillion the most as I really know nothing about it's contents.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Feb 20 2017, 2:23pm

Post #53 of 58 (1942 views)
Shortcut
Several reasons. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I don't understand

Why people talk so badly about The Hobbit films on here. I have now read The Hobbit novel and I don't think the films were all that different than the book really. I'm now reading Fellowship and I must say the book so far is very different than the movie. I'd say Peter Jackson's Hobbit adaptation is more faithful than his Lord Of The Rings adaptation.

Some fans of the book resent many of Jackson's changes and original additions such as the Fili/Tauriel relationship, feeling that a romance between a Dwarf and an Elf is inappropriate. The addition of tombs in Rhudaur for the Ringwraiths flies in the face of Tolkien's history of Middle-earth and the Third Age, especially in light of the prophesy involving the Witch-king of Angmar. And bringing Azog (long-dead in the book) into the story's present seems utterly unnecessary when his son Bolg could easily have been used instead.

Then there is Jackson's penchant for crude humor and gags that feel inappropriate for the story (such as pipeweed smoke issuing from Radagast's ears). As I'm only trying to explain and not actually dump on the films, I'll leave it at at that. Besides, this thread is theoretically all about the Lord of the Rings films and not the Hobbit trilogy.

"He who lies artistically, treads closer to the truth than ever he knows." -- Favorite proverb of the wizard Ningauble of the Seven Eyes

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Feb 20 2017, 2:25pm)

Isilmo
The Shire

Feb 20 2017, 2:31pm

Post #54 of 58 (1938 views)
Shortcut
You either like them [In reply to] Can't Post

or you don't. Simple as that. Now back on topic,I think the effects in The Lord Of The Rings films hold up very well. I think the CGI in them is still mind blowing even today,for the most part. I think these films will be well regarded for many more years to come.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Feb 20 2017, 2:37pm

Post #55 of 58 (1932 views)
Shortcut
Not really. [In reply to] Can't Post

One can like the films and still have issues with them. It's not either/or.

"He who lies artistically, treads closer to the truth than ever he knows." -- Favorite proverb of the wizard Ningauble of the Seven Eyes

wizzardly
Rohan

Feb 20 2017, 2:43pm

Post #56 of 58 (1927 views)
Shortcut
yes, you are right... [In reply to] Can't Post

outside of these forums, I hardly ever see any discussion regarding PJ's Hobbit. I was talking well into the future, I'm certain most people won't even be aware they even exist, which I feel is for the best.

"Tolkien has become a monster, devoured by his own popularity and absorbed into the absurdity of our time." -Christopher Tolkien

Isilmo
The Shire

Feb 20 2017, 2:47pm

Post #57 of 58 (1925 views)
Shortcut
This is true [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
One can like the films and still have issues with them. It's not either/or.

I didn't mean to have it sound like you couldn't enjoy them and yet have some issues with some things. Of course people can. I was simply saying some will enjoy the movies and others will not.

Allan J

Mar 3 2017, 4:24pm

Post #58 of 58 (1770 views)
Shortcut
General thoughts [In reply to] Can't Post

I believe LOTR will remain a classic. The clothing, weapons, transportation, architecture depict a period of time, and thus will not be dated. The storyline itself is grand in scope, a hopeless desperate quest to save the world from domination and slavery.

The Hobbit doesn't have that kind of deep foundation going for it. At its core its a there and back again tale, searching for a stolen treasure..

I watched all three releases of the Hobbit in the theater, never bought the disks or had desire to re-watch it since. I do read the book (CD version) from time to time.

However I am still immersed in LOTR, both the film and books. I never thought it could transfer to the screen, but by God they pulled it off, both Peter Jackson and the cast he assembled.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.