Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of the Rings:
How do you think these movies have dated?
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Jacob0407

Jan 29 2017, 5:43pm

Post #1 of 58 (3356 views)
Shortcut
How do you think these movies have dated? Can't Post

In my opinion I think that they have dated very well because of the lack of cgi. Even Gollum looks ready good 15 years later.

dormouse
Half-elven

Jan 30 2017, 3:53pm

Post #2 of 58 (3145 views)
Shortcut
I think they've dated very well... [In reply to] Can't Post

..because they were so well made in the first place, and so much thought went into every aspect of the design. Also because the stories themselves are timeless.

Also because the thing that normally dates films is fashion and there was very little in these films, if anything, that was overtly fashionable. But then again, I don't know. For that you would really need to revisit the films in 20 or 30 years time.

For still there are so many things
that I have never seen:
in every wood and every spring
there is a different green. . .

Misty Mountain Hop
Rivendell

Jan 31 2017, 3:44pm

Post #3 of 58 (3092 views)
Shortcut
Can't believe how much they still fit in today [In reply to] Can't Post

Personally, I think they have stayed relevant. I still see them on TV, I hear about people watching them, loving them, etc. The lack of major CGI, along with using miniatures, bigatures, actual props, makes a huge difference. No matter how many years go by, it will still look real (Orthanc, Rivendell miniature, Minas Tirith, ....

"Only, you've never done a hard day's work." - Merry

EomundDaughter
Lorien

Jan 31 2017, 8:43pm

Post #4 of 58 (3071 views)
Shortcut
Such a priviledge to see these films as they were released... [In reply to] Can't Post

they are timeless works of art and such acts of love....Tolkiens works will always stand as inspired and miraculous...

Darkstone
Immortal

Jan 31 2017, 9:04pm

Post #5 of 58 (3074 views)
Shortcut
I've heard complaints that the book is terribly dated. [In reply to] Can't Post

But great stories told magnificently are never dated. That's why Citizen Kane (1941) and Seven Samurai (1954) are still considered the top two films of all time even after sixty years.

I think the LOTR films will still be in the top 100 sixty years from now.

And the LOTR will be in the top 10 books.

“Begone, foul dwimmerlaik, lord of carrion! Leave the dead in peace!"
"Come not between the Nazgul and his prey! Or he will not slay thee in thy turn. He will bear thee away to the houses of lamentation, beyond all darkness, where thy flesh shall be devoured, and thy shrivelled mind be left naked to the Lidless Eye."
"Do what you will; but I will hinder it, if I may."
"Hinder me? Thou fool. No living man may hinder me!"
"But no living man am I! I am Eowyn, daughter of Theodwyn!”
"Er, really? My mother's name was Theodwyn, too!"
"No way!"
"Way!"
"Wow! Let's stop fighting and be best friends!"
"Cool!!"

-Zack Snyder's The Return of the King

LittleHobbit
Lorien

Jan 31 2017, 9:17pm

Post #6 of 58 (3080 views)
Shortcut
I remember one purist back in 2004... [In reply to] Can't Post

who said that ROTK would be ''obviously dated'' within 5 years, and the flaws in it impossible to overlook, much like happened after the hype surrounding Titanic and the 1998 Godzilla remake, and those that praised it to the skies would feel very embarrassed after the hype around ROTK and LOTR in general had passed.

TheOnlyOneAroundWithAnySense
Rohan

Jan 31 2017, 9:22pm

Post #7 of 58 (3075 views)
Shortcut
That's pretty funny [In reply to] Can't Post

LittleHobbit
Lorien

Jan 31 2017, 10:27pm

Post #8 of 58 (3063 views)
Shortcut
Why? [In reply to] Can't Post

Because it didn't happen and lots of people still think that the movie is very good?

It wasn't a joke. The dude really seemed, in utmost sincere fashion, to believe this.

P.S.: I am not trying to defend who said that, just would like you to expound more on this view instead of just making a short comment.

Jacob0407

Jan 31 2017, 10:29pm

Post #9 of 58 (3061 views)
Shortcut
Hobbits trilogy [In reply to] Can't Post

Do you think the hobbit movies will date aswell as the Lord of the rings films?

LittleHobbit
Lorien

Feb 1 2017, 3:28am

Post #10 of 58 (3040 views)
Shortcut
Another comment. [In reply to] Can't Post

You know what's MORE funny? That the same type of dumbass comments and complaints are still made today by those who criticize the Hobbit trilogy, thereby not letting it be know as the true masterpiece it truly is (just as LOTR was and still is to this day).

(This post was edited by LittleHobbit on Feb 1 2017, 3:29am)

dormouse
Half-elven

Feb 1 2017, 9:38am

Post #11 of 58 (3029 views)
Shortcut
Yes [In reply to] Can't Post

Because the same degree of talent, dedication and sheer hard work went into them, despite all the obstacles that stood in their way. Even more, because the story itself is timeless.

that I have never seen:

LittleHobbit
Lorien

Feb 1 2017, 7:09pm

Post #12 of 58 (2991 views)
Shortcut
AMEN to that, dormouse, AMEN. [In reply to] Can't Post

That's what I have been saying for years, yet I have never put it so succinctly and beautifully as you have just now. Well done, well done. Smile

(Sorry, I could not contain my enthusiasm.)

(This post was edited by LittleHobbit on Feb 1 2017, 7:12pm)

TheOnlyOneAroundWithAnySense
Rohan

Feb 1 2017, 7:20pm

Post #13 of 58 (2989 views)
Shortcut
Your first guess was correct [In reply to] Can't Post

I also believe time is going to be kind to The Hobbit. The two trilogies are on the opposite ends of the quality spectrum, but just like there has been a plethora of internet articles the past couple of years attempting to justify the Star Wars prequels, claim they've been misunderstood, are actually masterpieces, etc., I feel that sometime within the next ten years the same sort of articles will appear concerning Jackson's films - the difference will be that it's true for this trilogy.

Simon L. de Paiva
Bree

Feb 2 2017, 5:27pm

Post #14 of 58 (2919 views)
Shortcut
My View. [In reply to] Can't Post

My view is that the LOTR films are timeless cinematic masterpieces, for as long as mankind exists they will never be outdated. I remember when ROTK came out, a critic ( I think, from Time magazine) said something along these lines: " This movie earned its place in cinema history, alongside classics like "Gone with the Wind" and "Lawrence of Arabia'", the same thing can be said about the whole trilogy. A masterpiece is a film that shapes the history of cinema, a milestone in the history of movie making, not only for fans, but for film scholars and cinephiles around the globe, that's exactly what LOTR is.

Now, I don't think the same applies to The Hobbit films. Sure, they can be considered masterpieces "in their own terms", by fans with subjective points of view. I remember PJ calling The Hobbit films 'entertainment' back in 2012, I couldn't disagree more, for me they are a part of my heart and soul ( as I said before), I love them just as dearly as I do LOTR. But I know that's the fan in me speaking, if I am to be objective, I cannot put The Hobbit trilogy in the same category as LOTR ( in terms of the overall quality of the films) It's just not the same accomplishment. PJ said at the 2012 Comic Con that "The Hobbit films are made by fans, for the fans", I think that sums it up, but as far as great works of cinema go, I cannot honestly say that The Hobbit films share the same brilliance as their predecessors. That being said, if I think TH films will date just as well as LOTR? I think for the fans they will, I know I will always love them, for the rest of the world, only time will tell.

Intergalactic Lawman
Rohan

Feb 4 2017, 9:45pm

Post #15 of 58 (2819 views)
Shortcut
Not even close... [In reply to] Can't Post

People have already forgotten about the Hobbit films - and we all know it. I get that you love them but it's pointless to take this stance. Being in these forums and surrounded by 10 people agreeing with you does not make it true. You don't live in a vacuum...

Game of Thrones over-shadowed The Hobbit in every single way...king of like how LOTR's over-shadowed the SW prequels because they are better!

No offence.

dormouse
Half-elven

Feb 4 2017, 11:31pm

Post #16 of 58 (2813 views)
Shortcut
No, I don't live in a vacuum..... [In reply to] Can't Post

And although you may find it hard to believe, I spend a lot of my time away from this forum. And so I know that some people have no interest in Tolkien whatever, books or films. Some have seen the films and enjoyed them but have no time for the books. Some love the books - and various shades of opinion in between, and that applies as much to The Hobbit as it does to Lord of the Rings. Curiously, the only people I've come across who really hate the films - to the extent of taking up the issue with gusto here or elsewhere - are drawn from the book-loving fraternity, though it isn't an attitude that all share.

So you see, I'm not taking any stance. Nor is there any particular 'point' in what I'm saying, beyond offering an answer to a question someone asked. I'm simply saying what I think, based on observation and my own judgement of the films and of the way attitudes mellow and change. You say that 'we all know' that people have already forgotten 'The Hobbit' films: I don't know who 'we' are but from where I'm standing the idea is a joke. Much as you may wish that people had forgotten The Hobbit films, they were on TV here over Christmas and have just been shown again, so no, I can assure you they haven't been forgotten. Just a week or so ago I was reading a new review by the British film critic Barry Norman, who really does know his films, though I don't think he has much interest in Tolkien. He doesn't praise them as highly as the previous films - three stars to Lord of the Rings' five - but it really amused me that among the things he really does like about them he singled out Tauriel as a welcome addition, as he said, adding heart to the story! So you see, it takes all sorts....

As for Game of Thrones, I haven't watched it because I don't have the appropriate channel but the bits I've seen of it online and in trailers haven't made me feel I'm missing anything. I found the books unreadable and haven't seen anything to suggest that I'd like the TV films any better. But I know that a lot of people love them - we're all different.

So, why is it that you find it so hard to accept that that there can be honest views on The Hobbit which differ radically from your own?

that I have never seen:

Radagast_the_Brown
Rivendell

Feb 5 2017, 3:25am

Post #17 of 58 (2798 views)
Shortcut
Bit of a mixed bag [In reply to] Can't Post

Bar a couple of questionable moments here and there I think the first two have held up really well. The third, not so much. It's still a grand finale to a fantastic trilogy but the individual elements are a little more mixed. The CGI looks rushed in this one, exacerbated by less location work, Jackson went a bit out of control with some elements especially during the battle and there are some changes that don't make for very good story telling (Frodo sending Sam home, Arwen dying, the Army of the Dead wiping the battlefield etc..)

All you have to decide, is what to do with the time that is given to you...

Intergalactic Lawman
Rohan

Feb 5 2017, 8:22am

Post #18 of 58 (2785 views)
Shortcut
Nope... [In reply to] Can't Post

It's not true for this trilogy - They are both garbage.

Everyone said the Star Wars trilogy was great and everyone said the LOTR trilogy was great. These have stood the test of time!

Everyone said the SW prequels were trash and everyone said the Hobbit films were trash. Nothing has changed...

The 50 or so people in the world that love the prequels and Hobbit films constantly blabbering on about it does not make it true... You can't just say the Hobbit films are good because YOU think so and the SW prequels aren't - They suffer from the exact same problems! And yes, I get it "It's my opinion" but just remember - For every horrible film out there there is someone who loves it.

Unimpressed

(This post was edited by Avnar on Feb 5 2017, 8:26am)

dormouse
Half-elven

Feb 5 2017, 9:26am

Post #19 of 58 (2776 views)
Shortcut
Well.... [In reply to] Can't Post

Everyone said the Star Wars trilogy was great and everyone said the LOTR trilogy was great. These have stood the test of time!

That's debateable on several counts:
1. The original Star Wars was a great success but I don't suppose for a minute that everyone said it was great. I don't remember enough about the critical reception of the two films that followed it to comment but I know they were extremely popular and continued to be so.
2. Fellowship of the Ring had the same sort of impact as the original Star Wars, though not necessarily on the same audience. I would guess, though I have no evidence for this whatever, that Fellowship and its sequels appealed to a more diverse audience and a wider age group because so many people knew the story through books which had been around for decades. The whole trilogy was and remains a huge success - but again, not with "everybody".
3. Beyond being film trilogies there's no meaningful link between Star Wars and Lord of the Rings.

Everyone said the SW prequels were trash and everyone said the Hobbit films were trash....

Again contenious in the extreme:
1. The Star Wars prequels were ushered in with enormous hype and have aroused the ire of a lot of disgruntled posters on internet forums. I've never seen any more than snatches of them and wasn't following closely enough to comment, but given the fact that Star Wars films are still being made, and their continuing popularity, and given the number of different DVD and Blu-ray re-issues (I do know about these, having some SW fans in the family) I'd say that a substantial audience must have enjoyed them.
2. I'm on firmer ground here. I'd say that no one (beyond the disgruntled internet fraternity) said the Hobbit films were "trash". They met with a more mixed reception from the start and were criticized on technical grounds (frame rate, pacing CGI) and certain well-known aspects of the adaptation - but they were also praised on other grounds. And still are.

As for the test of time, I'd say that the only film you've mentioned which can truly be said to be standing that test yet is the original Star Wars - with its sequels coming in behind. All of the others are too young still - remember that there are films made 80 years ago and more that are still regarded as classics - 15 years is nothing. I believe the Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit films will last for reasons I've already given. I may be right, I may be wrong, but that's what I think.

Thought for the day:

You can't just say the Hobbit films are bad because YOU think so . . . And yes, I get it "It's my opinion" but just remember - For every brilliant film out there there is someone who hates it.

that I have never seen:

Intergalactic Lawman
Rohan

Feb 5 2017, 9:44am

Post #20 of 58 (2772 views)
Shortcut
Haha [In reply to] Can't Post

Yeah, well played... Cool

Sorry, these film just get under my skin because they were probably the last Tolkien movies we will ever get and instead of being masterpieces like LOTR - They were generic, forgettable, cgi infested messes (imo)

I honestly think PJ fell more in love with his toys than making good films...just like Lucas.

Oh well... I can still dream about an Ultimate Lord Of The Rings Extended Edition

dormouse
Half-elven

Feb 5 2017, 9:57am

Post #21 of 58 (2777 views)
Shortcut
Well, there's one thing we agree about, anyway..... [In reply to] Can't Post

I can still dream about an Ultimate Lord Of The Rings Extended Edition

So can I! Cool

that I have never seen:

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Feb 5 2017, 3:01pm

Post #22 of 58 (2762 views)
Shortcut
Never Say Never [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Sorry, these film just get under my skin because they were probably the last Tolkien movies we will ever get and instead of being masterpieces like LOTR - They were generic, forgettable, cgi infested messes (imo)

Never's a long time. There's a chance that we won't see another Middle-earth movie within either of our lifetimes, but the film rights to The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings are still out there along with the chances for remakes and spin offs (though I know that at least a few are horrified at the prospect of spin-off films and similar side-projects).

The Adventures of Tom Bombadil (1962) will be in the public domain in the U.S. in 2057 if the copyright was renewed; if not then it has been in the public domain since 1991. Possibly the 1990 2nd edition was intended to renew the copyright, but I don't know how that applies in the U.S. where the 2nd edition was not published until 1991.

"Farmer Giles of Ham" (1949), if it's copyright has been renewed, will fall under public domain in 2045; "The Homecoming of Beorhthoth Beorhthelm's Son" (1953) in 2049. Otherwise, both are already in the public domain.

Smith of Wootoon Major was published in 1967 and will be in U.S. public domain in 2063.

If my understanding is correct then The Hobbit falls into public domain in the U.S. in 2033.

"He who lies artistically, treads closer to the truth than ever he knows." -- Favorite proverb of the wizard Ningauble of the Seven Eyes

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Feb 5 2017, 3:15pm)

Cuwen Maegmacil
Rivendell

Feb 5 2017, 10:20pm

Post #23 of 58 (2737 views)
Shortcut
They're still really remarkable looking. [In reply to] Can't Post

There's limited CGI used, but the little that is used, is, to me at least, pretty visible. Gollum not so much, but like the cave troll in FOTR, or the Crebain reporting to Saruman, little things like that.
Regardless, I do feel like it doesn't take away from the experience of the movies and it certainly doesn't distract. I definitely feel like the story and the cast make the movie great enough that you can ignore little details like animations.
Will that still be the case in fifteen years or more? For me personally, I believe so. For posterity? Only if we raise them right! ;) Optimistically though, I still say yes. Is that the case for the Hobbit movies? To some extent, yes, to some others I would probably say no. Just because The Hobbit was so heavily coated with CGI and that will probably be really hard to get past in the future.

"I'm not a Psychopath, I'm a High-Functioning Sociopath, do your research."
"But I don't regret, nor will I forget, all who took that road with me. Night is now falling, so ends this day. The road is now calling and I must away. Over hill, and under tree, through lands where never light has shined. I turned at last to paths that lead home."

LittleHobbit
Lorien

Feb 6 2017, 2:34am

Post #24 of 58 (2727 views)
Shortcut
As far as I know... [In reply to] Can't Post

No one thinks the Hobbit movies are bad in the whole world except you and someone caled "wizzardly". And both offer nothing, as far as I can tell, to back up your opinions.

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 6 2017, 3:46pm

Post #25 of 58 (2682 views)
Shortcut
Well, opinions don't need to be backed up [In reply to] Can't Post

That's what is so great about opinions. And all are welcome here.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.