Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
R.I.P. John Hurt, who played Aragorn in 1978.

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Jan 28 2017, 1:31am

Post #1 of 18 (1508 views)
Shortcut
R.I.P. John Hurt, who played Aragorn in 1978. Can't Post

Oscar-nominated Star of "The Elephant Man Dies at 77

Among many other roles, he voiced Aragorn in Ralph Bakshi's animated film of the first half of The Lord of the Rings.

There are four lights.

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
Discuss Tolkien's life and works in the Reading Room!
+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=
How to find old Reading Room discussions.

squire
Half-elven

Jan 28 2017, 2:22am

Post #2 of 18 (1456 views)
Shortcut
A wonderful talent and apparently, a gentleman as well. [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for the notice. The obit is fascinating about his range, and funny about the running joke that he always got killed in the films he did [note: trailer has some filmed violence]. The quotes make him seem like a very honest and down-to-earth fellow.

Here he is on the job of acting in a fantasy series (Dr. Who) and having to go to Cons and deal with the fans:
“I’ve done a couple of conferences where you sit and sign autographs for people and then you have photographs taken with them and a lot of them are all dressed up in alien suits or Doctor Who whatevers. I was terrified of doing it because I thought they’d all be loonies, but they are absolutely, totally charming as anything. I’m not saying it’s the healthiest thing — I don’t know whether it is or isn’t — but they are very charming.”

I know they couldn't list every film, but I want to point out one that the obit omitted: he played Winston Smith in the very good, if staid, production of Orwell's Nineteen Eighty-four, opposite Sir Richard Burton (Dir. Michael Radford, 1984). I use the film in one of my lessons and I am continually impressed by Hurt's ability to underplay his emotions in a world where feelings are against the law:

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Archive: All the TORn Reading Room Book Discussions (including the 1st BotR Discussion!) and Footerama: "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
Dr. Squire introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Jan 28 2017, 4:18am

Post #3 of 18 (1435 views)
Shortcut
Awww. [In reply to] Can't Post

His primary role for me was in Alien. It's sad to hear he's gone.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jan 28 2017, 7:25am

Post #4 of 18 (1425 views)
Shortcut
Farewell, War Doctor [In reply to] Can't Post

May Mr. Hurt rest in peace. Condolences to his family, friends, colleagues and fans.

"He who lies artistically, treads closer to the truth than ever he knows." -- Favorite proverb of the wizard Ningauble of the Seven Eyes

Smaug the iron
Gondor

Jan 28 2017, 9:21am

Post #5 of 18 (1410 views)
Shortcut
RIP John Hurt [In reply to] Can't Post

FrownFrown

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jan 28 2017, 12:55pm

Post #6 of 18 (1402 views)
Shortcut
Ohhh...no.......... [In reply to] Can't Post

One of the greatest voices ever... and always a powerful presence. I'm so very sad...

His voice as Aragorn. I have to admit many times I watch Bakshi's LotR just to listen to his voice saying some of the characters greatest lines.

Olivander; Dr. Who; Hellboy; Indiana Jones; Outlander; so many more...

A sad, sad day

Peace, Mr. Hurt. And thank you....

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observations List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observations List - May 15, 2014

5th draft of TH:BotFA Geeky Observations List - January 30, 2015

TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

dormouse
Half-elven

Jan 28 2017, 3:01pm

Post #7 of 18 (1395 views)
Shortcut
A great actor, with an extraordinary range.... [In reply to] Can't Post

He'll be missed. We're very lucky to have so much of his work on record.

For still there are so many things
that I have never seen:
in every wood and every spring
there is a different green. . .

Simon L. de Paiva
Bree

Jan 28 2017, 7:58pm

Post #8 of 18 (1376 views)
Shortcut
R.I.P. [In reply to] Can't Post

I was greatly traumatized after I watched "The Elephant man" at age nine ( or ten, I can't remember). Afterwards in my adolescence, I started to disassociate John Hurt from that role, and began to discover his great range as an actor. There are too many great roles to list here, "1984", "Alien" ( his alien chest bursting scene aboard the Nostromo is truly iconic), Rob Roy, his lovely and charming character in the Guillermo Del Toro "Hellboy" movies, the Orwellian dictator he played in "V for Vendetta", "Tinker tailor Soldier Spy", his collaborations with Lars Von Trier and Jim Jarmusch, Indy 4 and countless others. He had an instantly recognizable voice, when I watched "Perfume: The Story of a Murderer" I immediately recognized his voice as the narrator. According to IMDB his last work is the upcoming "Darkest Hour' a WW II drama directed by Joe Wright, I don't know if he completed filming on this one.

He was one of the greatest British actors working in the past four, five decades. He will be sorely missed by film lovers around the world, myself included. May he rest in peace.

OldestDaughter
Rohan

Jan 28 2017, 10:39pm

Post #9 of 18 (1349 views)
Shortcut
Rest in peace, sir. [In reply to] Can't Post

I was shocked to find out from my sister that he had died. Interestingly enough, yesterday, my sisters and I watched an episode of Merlin, where he was the voice of the Great Dragon. Very sad.

He will always be remembered as the Storyteller from Jim Henson's show to us.

Rest in peace.

"Keen, heart-piercing was her song as the song of the lark that rises from the gates of night and pours its voice among the dying stars, seeing the sun behind the walls of the world; and the song of Lúthien released the bonds of winter, and the frozen waters spoke, and flowers sprang from the cold earth where her feet had passed."

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 28 2017, 11:14pm

Post #10 of 18 (1344 views)
Shortcut
A sad loss. He leaves a great legacy. [In reply to] Can't Post

His role as Winston Smith is one I remember particularly well - a brilliant performance. And much more recently, he was an excellent Doctor.

May he rest in peace.

The Passing of Mistress Rose
My historical novels

Do we find happiness so often that we should turn it off the box when it happens to sit there?

- A Room With a View

Morthoron
Gondor

Jan 29 2017, 1:36am

Post #11 of 18 (1337 views)
Shortcut
His acting ability was readily apparent, even at a young age... [In reply to] Can't Post

His portrayal of the sycophantic informer Richard Rich in the splendid A Man for all Seasons gives one an early glimpse of his understated style.

Please visit my blog...The Dark Elf File...a slighty skewed journal of music and literary comment, fan-fiction and interminable essays.

malickfan
Gondor

Jan 29 2017, 10:05am

Post #12 of 18 (1314 views)
Shortcut
A huge huge loss [In reply to] Can't Post

One of my favourite actors, and one of the greatest character actors in British history he will be missed enormously, such vast range, a truly memorable voice, and a extensive list of credits across stage screen and radio, by all accounts he was a gentleman, full of fascinating stories and always challenging himself with new stories and genres, not to mention his charity work, I wasn't too shocked to hear this news given his age and recent health issues but I am utterly heartbroken Frown

Lord Of The Rings, Watership Down, Hellboy, Indiana Jones 4, Harry Potter, Rob Roy, 1984, The Naked Civil Servant, I Claudius, Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, Alien, V for Vendetta, Midnight Express, Merlin, Doctor Who and of course The Elephant Man to name only a few of his vast number of roles, he had the range, warmth and intelligence to make even the smallest of roles interesting (and it may be heresy but in some ways I preferred his Aragorn to Mortensen's...), gone but never forgotten his legacy will last for years.

Thank you Sir Hurt and RIP Heart

My condolences to his friends and family.

malickfan
Gondor

Jan 29 2017, 10:20am

Post #13 of 18 (1316 views)
Shortcut
Hurt was outstanding as the War Doctor [In reply to] Can't Post

It's hard enough to find the right actor for a full time Doctor, and those actors (even McGann had lots of radio stories) all had the benefit of gradually feeling themselves into the role and developing the character over time, but Hurt had the challenge of not only playing a fully formed Doctor in his last moments but holding his own against the hugely popular Smith and Tennant, and he more than succeeded, easily the best thing about the Anniversary episode i.m.o, he was completely convincing as the reluctant warrior with centuries of conflict on his conscience who wanted nothing more than to be a Doctor once more, so much pain and pathos in those eyes.

''Great men are forged in fire. It is the privilege of lesser men to light the flame.''

Tenannt's Doctor says at one point in the episode ''You were the Doctor on the day it wasn't possible to get things right'' but Hurt very much did, he was cast at the last minute as a replacement for Eccleston (who declined the chance to return) but you really wouldn't know it watching the episode, what could have been an awkward plot device became a fully fledged and fascinating character in his hands.

If you weren't aware The War Doctor also appears in a few comics, the unofficial charity anthology 'Seasons Of War', the novel 'Engines Of War' and Hurt reprises the role for 12 full cast audioplays for Big Finish Productions (which are also sold on Amazon and book depository I think):

https://www.bigfinish.com/...collected-war-doctor

https://bradleybasement.wordpress.com/...ar-doctors-timeline/

http://eyespider.org.uk/drwho/jh/list.html

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jan 29 2017, 1:28pm

Post #14 of 18 (1311 views)
Shortcut
Yes, thanks. [In reply to] Can't Post

I was aware of Hurt's other appearances as the War Doctor, though the only one of them that I had direct experience with is the novel Engines of War. The audio book of that was read by Nicholas Briggs; nothing against him (and I have not heard his performance), but it's too bad that Hurt was not hired for that.

"He who lies artistically, treads closer to the truth than ever he knows." -- Favorite proverb of the wizard Ningauble of the Seven Eyes

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Jan 29 2017, 1:36pm)

squire
Half-elven

Jan 29 2017, 2:18pm

Post #15 of 18 (1301 views)
Shortcut
"The characters he plays are generally weak, immoral, murderous, slimy or insane." [In reply to] Can't Post

The NY Times this morning pointed me to this witty, affectionate, and somewhat over-the-top appreciation of Hurt that appeared in Salon in 2004. Here's the opening paragraph about his improbable sex appeal, which the Times judiciously reprinted:
"John Hurt shouldn’t work as a love object — it is counterintuitive to the general rules of attraction. His countenance is fishy and bizarre. He has dark, verminous little eyes, a smirky little mouth full of nicotine-varnished teeth, and that British complexion that evokes a poached worm. Even in his early films, he has eye bags and looks like he put on a face that was at the very bottom of his laundry basket. His body, when it isn’t a little overindulged around the abdomen, is scrawny. He has never, in any role, looked particularly masculine. The characters he plays are generally weak, immoral, murderous, slimy or insane. Yet to gaze upon John Hurt, in almost any role, is to feel a drooly adoration; he is irresistible." - Cintra Wilson, "A World of Hurt", Salon.com, March 18, 2004.

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Archive: All the TORn Reading Room Book Discussions (including the 1st BotR Discussion!) and Footerama: "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
Dr. Squire introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

Morthoron
Gondor

Jan 29 2017, 7:52pm

Post #16 of 18 (1271 views)
Shortcut
I had forgotten about his role in "Midnight Express"... [In reply to] Can't Post

He played the heroin-addicted prisoner Max. Hurt was definitely a chameleon!

Please visit my blog...The Dark Elf File...a slighty skewed journal of music and literary comment, fan-fiction and interminable essays.

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Jan 30 2017, 2:36am

Post #17 of 18 (1251 views)
Shortcut
"... but for Wales, Richard?" // [In reply to] Can't Post

There are four lights.

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
Discuss Tolkien's life and works in the Reading Room!
+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=
How to find old Reading Room discussions.

malickfan
Gondor

Jan 31 2017, 12:02am

Post #18 of 18 (1214 views)
Shortcut
Evidently Hurt wasn't approached for the E.O.W audiobook... [In reply to] Can't Post

...And I don't think he held it against Briggs, who ironically is the Director (and one of the writers) of the Big Finish audio dramas he later did, the 4th boxset of which is probably going to be his last credited actor role...

Doctor no more, but a legend forever.

RIP.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.