LOTR Trivia Challenge
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

CuriousG
Half-elven

Mar 2 2017, 11:19pm

Post #51 of 62 (726 views)
Shortcut
An easier one [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm eating dinner on a work trip, so I might as well try another while I look for something to do:

1. My tongue can be used for fish bait.
2. I lessen the courtesy of halls.
3. I throw valuable things from windows.
4. I like blonds.

Eruonen
Half-elven

Mar 3 2017, 12:12am

Post #52 of 62 (719 views)
Shortcut
Easy one....Wormtongue [In reply to] Can't Post

CuriousG
Half-elven

Mar 3 2017, 1:00am

Post #53 of 62 (712 views)
Shortcut
Yes! Thanks for helping me gauge my throwing arm on these. // [In reply to] Can't Post

CuriousG
Half-elven

Mar 3 2017, 1:04am

Post #54 of 62 (711 views)
Shortcut
Hey Bracegirdle, we're playing games in this thread! Where are you?! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Eruonen
Half-elven

Mar 3 2017, 1:08am

Post #55 of 62 (714 views)
Shortcut
I did know there was a Trivial Pursuit LOTR game [In reply to] Can't Post

https://www.amazon.com/...ectors/dp/B0014S46R0

FarFromHome
Valinor

Mar 3 2017, 10:32am

Post #56 of 62 (698 views)
Shortcut
That Man/man thing... [In reply to] Can't Post

is very handy for riddles - and I think Tolkien cheats a bit himself, with the prophecy about the Witch-king. He wants to have it both ways - Eowyn isn't a "man", but Merry isn't a "Man". The original prophecy is reported in the Appendix as “not by the hand of man will he fall,” with a small "m", so that works for Eowyn. For some reason, Tolkien (or at least, a scribe of the later tradition ;) ) added a note to say that Merry, not being a "Man", is also covered by the prophecy. But the scribe does add that it was only in the "songs of the Mark" that Merry's feat was thought of in this way - and as the Rohirrim record their history orally and have no written language, I guess this little quibble about capitalization passed them by altogether!

They went in, and Sam shut the door.
But even as he did so, he heard suddenly,
deep and unstilled,
the sigh and murmur of the Sea upon the shores of Middle-earth.
From the unpublished Epilogue to the Lord of the Rings

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Mar 8 2017, 3:38pm

Post #57 of 62 (649 views)
Shortcut
A Trivial Riddle [In reply to] Can't Post

Twice I met a black shadow;
first as captain, then as king.
The first time I was betrayed
the second time I died or was made worse than dead.

"He who lies artistically, treads closer to the truth than ever he knows." -- Favorite proverb of the wizard Ningauble of the Seven Eyes

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Mar 8 2017, 3:39pm)

Eruonen
Half-elven

Mar 8 2017, 5:42pm

Post #58 of 62 (639 views)
Shortcut
Hmm, who was Er-Mûrazôr (claimed by some as the Witch King of Angmar) ? [In reply to] Can't Post

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Mar 8 2017, 6:35pm

Post #59 of 62 (635 views)
Shortcut
Sorry... [In reply to] Can't Post

Wrong answer! But there is a connection (he said, perhaps revealing too much). Feel free to try again.

"He who lies artistically, treads closer to the truth than ever he knows." -- Favorite proverb of the wizard Ningauble of the Seven Eyes

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Mar 8 2017, 6:44pm)

squire
Half-elven

Mar 8 2017, 6:43pm

Post #60 of 62 (631 views)
Shortcut
Don't do it my Lord! Oh, well, there he goes... [In reply to] Can't Post

Earnur's the name
Being king is my game
My temper is short
And my smarts are the same

(Not sure about your "worse than dead" fate - do you know something that the Appendices don't?)

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Archive: All the TORn Reading Room Book Discussions (including the 1st BotR Discussion!) and Footerama: "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
Dr. Squire introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Mar 8 2017, 7:01pm

Post #61 of 62 (628 views)
Shortcut
Ding! Ding! Ding! [In reply to] Can't Post

You've gotten it!

Eärnur: first encountered the Witch-king as a war-captain at Fornost only to be swept away from his foe when his mount panicked and bolted from the field. As King of Gondor he answered the challenge to personal combat from the Lord of the Nazgûl, never to be seen again. It is presumed that King Eärnur was tormented and killed; however, the possibility exists that he was tortured with a Morgul-knife and met the same fate that Frodo nearly succumbed to at the Ford of Bruinen.

I don't know that Eärnur was transformed by the Witch-king into a lesser Wraith; I just know that it is a better story if it is true.

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Mar 8 2017, 7:04pm)

Eruonen
Half-elven

Mar 8 2017, 7:14pm

Post #62 of 62 (620 views)
Shortcut
Every winner gets a trophy [In reply to] Can't Post

http://i.ebayimg.com/...yVLNS1aPp/s-l300.jpg King Trophy

(This post was edited by Eruonen on Mar 8 2017, 7:14pm)

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.