Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Grandson publishes book based on JRR Tolkien's WWI experiences

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Jan 25 2017, 3:36am

Post #1 of 5 (547 views)
Shortcut
Grandson publishes book based on JRR Tolkien's WWI experiences Can't Post

Has anyone read or heard anything about this? I just saw an article on NPR today posted on Facebook, but I couldn't get it to link. This Guardian article is from July, 2016. I know we can be a bit behind the times here in the US, but it seems strange to only now show up on NPR which is usually up to date. Anyway, it sounds interesting.

https://www.google.com/...tolkien-no-mans-land

~Sometimes you have a problem, the kind you can't erase,
sometimes it jumps up and slaps you in the face.
Don't run around in circles, don't scream and don't shout,
just put your head together and figure it out.
Figure it out, baby, figure it out.
Figure it out, baby, figure it out!~

Brought to you by Sesame Street and LMNOP (Donald Glover) Smile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMBbgy0TV6U

(This post was edited by zarabia on Jan 25 2017, 3:41am)

dormouse
Half-elven

Jan 25 2017, 10:02am

Post #2 of 5 (514 views)
Shortcut
I did know about the book from last year, but haven't read the book... [In reply to] Can't Post

.. or even seen it anywhere. There are a lot of reviews on Amazon and most of them are extremely positive. People seem to have enjoyed reading it though a few comment that the non-war part of the story is very stereotyped.

The idea of its being based on his grandfather's war experiences might be a bit of a stretch. Simon Tolkien says in the article that he doesn't think his grandfather would have been one to talk about the war, so clearly they never discussed it. I suspect that has more to do with his publisher wanting, understandably, to get the book noticed. There are so many books about the Somme, and more generally about the war coming out for the centenary. As a signals officer Tolkien would have been doing a specific job when in the front line, which was dangerous and terrible in its own way but not the same as that of the ordinary infantryman - though he did develop a real feeling for them, as many front line officers did. Besides, most British people who write about the First World War do so in the knowledge that someone from their family fought - it's in all our backgrounds.

If all this sounds a bit grudging, I don't mean to. It sounds like a very readable war novel. But for myself, I reckon you discover more about the reality of that war and people's experience of it through non-fiction accounts (and have an interest to declare here, having written one myself!) and for J R R Tolkien's experience I'd stick with John Garth.

For still there are so many things
that I have never seen:
in every wood and every spring
there is a different green. . .

Gianna
Rohan

Jan 27 2017, 11:54pm

Post #3 of 5 (435 views)
Shortcut
I think I've heard of the book [In reply to] Can't Post

I know I've seen some of Simon Tolkien's novels at the library; never read any of them, though. I really should.

As a point of interest, Mr Tolkien looks exactly like a hobbit in the picture with that article. Wink

"The men of the East may search the scrolls,
For sure fates and fame,
But the men that drink the blood of God
Go singing to their shame."

-G.K. Chesterton, The Ballad of the White Horse, Book I

------
My fantasy novels

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Feb 6 2017, 2:21am

Post #4 of 5 (360 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for the reply [In reply to] Can't Post

Sorry I didn't respond sooner.

Yes, I guess I should have said it was inspired by Tolkien rather than based on him. And I hadn't thought about it being the centenary. Unfortunately, WWI goes almost forgotten here in the US. But it's certainly understandable why remembering those lost in the war and honoring Armistice Day is so important in the UK. The statistics are staggering.

One day I'll read one of those non-fiction accounts (yours if you'll share the details), but it will have to wait until RL settles down a bit. But then again, maybe reading about the day to day realities of the war would put things more into perspective for me.

Thanks, dormouse.

(This post was edited by zarabia on Feb 6 2017, 2:22am)

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Feb 6 2017, 2:25am

Post #5 of 5 (358 views)
Shortcut
Hmmm.... [In reply to] Can't Post

He does look a bit Hobbity at that. Smile

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.