Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
1 Songs that remind of Tolkien stories or adaptations, AND games: Name That Tune, parody writing challenge
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Ruxendil_Thoorg
Tol Eressea

Jan 19 2017, 7:29pm

Post #1 of 79 (2953 views)
Shortcut
1 Songs that remind of Tolkien stories or adaptations, AND games: Name That Tune, parody writing challenge Can't Post

Two things. Or three....

1. First, is there a song that reminds you of something from Tolkien or from the adaptation movies? Please tell us about it and elaborate on how it connects for you. Name up to five such songs as you may wish.

I don't mean soundtrack songs written for Tolkien-adaptations or directly inspired by the subject writings. For example, Far Over Misty Mountains Cold by Neil Finn, and the Middle-earth-themed songs by Eurielle, are disqualified. Ramble On by Led Zeppelin is fair game, but a bit too obvious perhaps.
A better choice would be a song with no obvious, direct references to Tolkien subject matter.

2. Second, a round of Name That Tune. Can you name the 1980s pop/rock song, and the band/artist, that is parodied/lyrically adapted below?

I wrote the adaptation lyrics during this week while the song was in my head. I wanted to see if I could Tolkienify it.

Hint: song released in early 1980s. artist is a band with male vocalist, genre might be described as easy listening-ish, post-progressive rock. The song, as released or a cover version, has featured in episodes of tv shows like Family Guy and South Park. More hints upon request.

This is more of a lyrical adaptation than a parody, the way "Weird" Al Yankovic's The Saga Begins (American Pie, Don McLean) is a lyrical adaptation acording to him, while his Yoda (Lola, the Kinks) is a parody. The adaptation song is called:

*The Way to Erebor*

(That is not a hint. The title of the Tune to be Named might or might not resemble my adapation title at all.)

I hear the Dwarves’ music in the night,
But I catch only fragments of their plaintive declamations.
They must away ere break of light,
As Thorin sings of mountains cold and misty, and old vexations,
They asked the old man for a way,
Hoping to find some
Long forgotten runes of ancient mystery,
He looked at me as if to say,
"Erebor is waiting there for you."

It's gonna take a lot, this journey away with you,
It's nothing that a Hobbit of the Shire would ever do.
I press the way down the path to come.
Gonna take some time and do the things I never had.

Fell wargs howling in the night,
Our foes relentless,
Coming for reprisal on our Company,
I know that we must makes things right, as sure as Loneliest Mountain
Rises like the heavens above the Celduin,
We seek to score what's deep inside,
Frightened of one thing to overcome.

I press the way down the path to come,
Gonna take some time and do the things I never had.

"Erebor is waiting there for you!"

I press the way down the path to come
(I press the way)
(I press the way)
(Ah gonna take some time)
Gonna take some time and do the things I never had

Recognize the Tune? No Googling, this is closed-book. Please put your answer in the body of your post, not the Subject title.

3. Optional third, write& post your Tolkienified parody / adaptation lyrics of a song of your choice (whether it reminds you of Tolkien subjects or not, it's all good), and have us guess Name That Tune. Please give hints like the ones I gave above, e.g., time period of song release, whether a band or solo artist, vocalist male or female, describe the musical genre, and something distinctive about the song. If the solution title is in your lyrics, you could hide it with a placeholder like "<blankety-blank>".

Thanks for reading, hope you'll join in!

"That doesn't make much sense to me. But then again, you are quite small. Perhaps you're right."

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 19 2017, 7:54pm

Post #2 of 79 (2836 views)
Shortcut
I can name that tune... [In reply to] Can't Post

...in less than the very first line! "Africa" by Toto, and we're not in Kansas anymore. Wink

Those lyrics do lend themselves well to a remake on a Hobbit theme, don't they? Amazing how well yours fit!

Can't think of songs offhand that remind me of Middle-earth, must think about that...and I might still have a parody on my home computer, let me check...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Lissuin
Valinor

Jan 19 2017, 9:28pm

Post #3 of 79 (2823 views)
Shortcut
I just love it when you have too much time on your hands, Rux. [In reply to] Can't Post

I'll do my best to make a contribution.

squire
Half-elven

Jan 19 2017, 9:55pm

Post #4 of 79 (2828 views)
Shortcut
An oldie but goody - Sugar Magnolia [In reply to] Can't Post

I posted this a while ago, but your challenge was too on the mark for me to resist a repost. I have always thought that Cat Stevens captured certain aspects of Tolkien's world - from the Age of Aquarius when people wore buttons saying "Frodo Lives".

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Archive: All the TORn Reading Room Book Discussions (including the 1st BotR Discussion!) and Footerama: "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
Dr. Squire introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Jan 19 2017, 10:07pm

Post #5 of 79 (2820 views)
Shortcut
Broadsword, by Jethro Tull [In reply to] Can't Post

I see a dark sail on the horizon
Set under a black cloud that hides the sun.
Bring me my broadsword and clear understanding.
Bring me my cross of gold as a talisman.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bring me my broadsword and clear understanding.
Bless with a hard heart those who surround me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind. Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on for the motherland.
I see a dark sail on the horizon
Set under a black cloud that hides the sun.
So, bring me my broadsword and clear understanding.
So bring me my broadsword
And a cross of gold as a talisman.

If you substituted "stone of green as a talisman" you'd have the siege and subsequent battle of Minas Tirith.

I see the song originally appeared in 1982, so unless Tull was inspired by the book of The Return of the King, the resemblance is just coincidence. But I'm not the only person who's noticed it. When I looked up the lyrics, I also found a YouTube video using the song behind the scene in the film of RotK where Elrond brings Anduril to Aragorn.

Where now the horse and the rider? Where is the horn that was blowing?
Where is the helm and the hauberk, and the bright hair flowing?
Where is the hand on the harpstring, and the red fire glowing?
Where is the spring and the harvest and the tall corn growing?
They have passed like rain on the mountain, like a wind in the meadow;
The days have gone down in the West behind the hills into shadow....

Simon L. de Paiva
Bree

Jan 20 2017, 12:16am

Post #6 of 79 (2809 views)
Shortcut
It may sound a little silly, but... [In reply to] Can't Post

....the song "Hunter" by Dido always reminds me a little of Éowyn. I love the song since my teens, for me it has a lot of Éowyn's untamed spirit. Also, many songs in the Irish musical ensemble, "Celtic Woman" remind me of Middle-earth. Speaking of "Celtic Woman" back in early 2011, when "The Hobbit" was entering principal photography, I saw a You Tube video of New Zealand singer Hayley Westenra, singing "May it be" from the Fellowship score. I was marveled, I absolutely love her voice, I started hoping that PJ and company would get her to perform an end credits song in one of "The Hobbit" movies. Instead, they optioned for male singers.

Alassëa Eruvande
Valinor

Jan 20 2017, 5:54pm

Post #7 of 79 (2766 views)
Shortcut
Got it! [In reply to] Can't Post

Africa, by Toto. Nice.

I have mentioned two songs before that remind me of Middle Earth, both by Josh Groban.

So She Dances reminds me of Beren and Luthien, when Beren first spies her dancing in the glade.

Don't Give Up reminds me of Frodo's vision of Galadriel in ROTK when he is all alone in Cirith Ungol after having sent Sam away. (*shudder*)

Somewhere along the way I did a Arwen/Eowyn version of You Belong To Me by Taylor Swift. It was a mathom I did for my birthday, I think. If you really really want to see it, it's probably searchable. Tongue

I am SMAUG! I kill when I wish! I am strong, strong, STRONG!
My armor is like tenfold shields! My teeth like swords! My claws, spears!
The shock of my tail, a thunderbolt! My wings, a hurricane! And my breath, death!

Ruxendil_Thoorg
Tol Eressea

Jan 20 2017, 6:24pm

Post #8 of 79 (2758 views)
Shortcut
Found it! [In reply to] Can't Post

Yep, your guess is correct. I almost made it more difficult with more word changes, but i ended up revising it, kept the repetitions. You should have seen some of the earlier draft versions of the 'i bless the rains down in Africa" line i toyed with:
"Picked up a ring down a cavern hole" or ..."cavern dark...." or "...cavern cold" or "....cavern yon",
"Out and away down a barrel drop",
"I'm pressed to bring down the Arkenstone",
"Something to bring down and have a talk"
Tried singing with those lines, didn't feel right.

I will check those two Josh Groban songs out this evening.

Are you familiar with Don't Give Up by Peter Gabriel, with Kate Bush? I wonder if that would recall in same way the Groban song of same title does.

I got a kick! Laugh out of reading your parody, with the song in my head (yeah i remember the song from the radio pretty well, probably shoudn't have admitted that).

I don't know how I missed that post (and your birthday, sorry) except I must have been neglecting the Off Topic board that year. I was fairly new here.

On this episode of This is Your Life, here is el linko for everyone's convenient enjoyment:

http://newboards.theonering.net/...ylor%20swift;#432443

Thank you for sharing!

"That doesn't make much sense to me. But then again, you are quite small. Perhaps you're right."

Ruxendil_Thoorg
Tol Eressea

Jan 20 2017, 6:31pm

Post #9 of 79 (2757 views)
Shortcut
In less than the first line??? [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for joining with the guess and the compliment.
It was a pretty easy round, but how'd you figure it out just from that? I bow to your musical recall skill!

And/or perhaps you know that particular song better than I imagined anyone would, and the first few words were enough to trigger it for you.

Thanks dernwyn! Hope to see your parody and a name of a Tolkien-reminiscent song.

Ruxendil_Thoorg
Tol Eressea

Jan 20 2017, 6:40pm

Post #10 of 79 (2750 views)
Shortcut
Heh, time is never time enough, amirite? [In reply to] Can't Post

I somehow manage to make time...like during lunch break or when the kids are asleep....Angelic
Thanks, sweet Liss!
Hope to see your parody and name of a Tolkien-recalling song.

Ruxendil_Thoorg
Tol Eressea

Jan 20 2017, 6:49pm

Post #11 of 79 (2754 views)
Shortcut
Your post has inspired me to coin a term or two [In reply to] Can't Post

Squire, thanks for that! I hadn't seen that post before.

I followed your link and listened to a youtube recording of the tune. Thanks to you I have a whole new appreciation for that song!

I just thought of a term i haven't heard before: Bomba-delic.
It should be a term for songs of that era that remind of Tom and Goldie.
Speaking of Goldie, that is especially appropriate, as her name could be a portmanteau of 'Oldie' and (but) 'Goody'. You like?

Ruxendil_Thoorg
Tol Eressea

Jan 20 2017, 6:55pm

Post #12 of 79 (2751 views)
Shortcut
Jethro [In reply to] Can't Post

Tull are so Tolkien-esque sometimes, aren't they? I've found that quality in Too Old To Rock and Roll. I've done a parody of that song, relating to Theoden's story. Will post if you're interested.

Listened to the song for first time upon reading your post. Totally agree with you.

Thank you for sharing, Lily!

Ruxendil_Thoorg
Tol Eressea

Jan 20 2017, 7:01pm

Post #13 of 79 (2752 views)
Shortcut
Not even close to silly [In reply to] Can't Post

I'll have to check out the Dido song, but from your description I can imagine how it relates.
Celtic Woman and H.Westenra- absolutely.

Are you familiar with Adiemus? A/k/a Karl Jenkins, a Welsh composer and the singers and orchestra he uses. His/their sound reminds me of Tolkien and the movies, along the same lines as what you've mentioned.

Thanks for sharing!

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 21 2017, 1:26am

Post #14 of 79 (2736 views)
Shortcut
Yep! [In reply to] Can't Post

All it took was "I hear...D...", and I confirmed it with "night". Easy enough for us "old fogeys", that was quite a hit in its day.

Now, for an old parody of mine! I bet you know this one from the title alone:

Ballad of Sam and Frodo

Standing at the dock in the Marish
Tryin’ to reach Crickhollow unseen
Maggot’s cart had the room, For us and some ‘shrooms,
Merry got us o’er the Brandywine stream

Elbereth, it ain’t easy
You know how hard it can be
The way things are going
That Ring’ll take over me.

Finally made it out to the Pony
Ruckus with the townsfolk of Bree
Gandalf’s message did say, This here Strider’s okay,
You can trust him and through wilderland flee

Elbereth, it ain’t easy
The way things are going

Lost the Riders at the Rivendell river,
Talking in the Counsel all day,
This Ring is no joy, we must it destroy,
I said “I’ll take it, show me the way.”

Elbereth, it ain’t easy
The way things are going

Freezing as we try to climb up Caradhras
Stumbling through the dark of Moria
One day the Lady said, “You’ll need our lembas bread
Some boats and ropes and cloaks, and here’s a phial!”

Lost the Fellowship at Parth Galen
Eating lembas out of Sam’s pack
Gollum did find us still In the Emyn Muil
He’ll guide us into Mordor - and back?

Elbereth, it ain’t easy
The way things are going

Caught an Eagle ride out of Mordor
Ring is gone, but a finger I lack
With cheers we were greeted, “We’re glad you succeeeded,
It’s good to have the both of you back!”

Elbereth, it ain’t easy
The way things are going
They way things are going

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Darkstone
Immortal

Jan 21 2017, 1:48am

Post #15 of 79 (2741 views)
Shortcut
Hmmmmm..... [In reply to] Can't Post

And Arwen said: “Dark is the Shadow, and yet my heart rejoices; for you, Estel, shall be among the great whose valour will destroy it.”
But Aragorn answered: “Alas! I cannot foresee it, and how it may come to pass is hidden from me. Yet with your hope I will hope. And the Shadow I utterly reject. But neither, lady, is the Twilight for me; for I am mortal, and if you will cleave to me, Evenstar, then the Twilight you must also renounce.”
And she stood then as still as a white tree, looking into the West, and at last she said:

“I am nineteen going on twenty yén,
I know that I'm naïve.
Rangers I meet,
May tell me I'm sweet,
And willingly I believe.

“I am nineteen going on twenty yén,
Innocent as a rose.
Elf lords of yore,
Drinking miruvor,
What do I know of those?

“Totally unprepared am I,
To face the World of Men.
Timid and shy and scared am I,
Of those beyond my kin.

“I need someone bolder and wiser,
Telling me what to do.
You are forty-nine going on fifty years,
I'll depend on you.”

“Begone, foul dwimmerlaik, lord of carrion! Leave the dead in peace!"
"Come not between the Nazgul and his prey! Or he will not slay thee in thy turn. He will bear thee away to the houses of lamentation, beyond all darkness, where thy flesh shall be devoured, and thy shrivelled mind be left naked to the Lidless Eye."
"Do what you will; but I will hinder it, if I may."
"Hinder me? Thou fool. No living man may hinder me!"
"But no living man am I! I am Eowyn, daughter of Theodwyn!”
"Er, really? My mother's name was Theodwyn, too!"
"No way!"
"Way!"
"Wow! Let's stop fighting and be best friends!"
"Cool!!"

-Zack Snyder's The Return of the King

(This post was edited by Darkstone on Jan 21 2017, 1:58am)

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Jan 21 2017, 1:51am

Post #16 of 79 (2727 views)
Shortcut
Now I'll be humming this all night. // [In reply to] Can't Post

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
Discuss Tolkien's life and works in the Reading Room!
+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=
How to find old Reading Room discussions.

Ruxendil_Thoorg
Tol Eressea

Jan 21 2017, 2:11am

Post #17 of 79 (2728 views)
Shortcut
*applause*!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

That was a brilliant rework of Ballad of John and Yoko!

(even the title scans well. Sam and John, Frodo and Yoko.)

At the very first line, I thought you might have been going for Sittin' at the Dock of the Bay, but the Beatles song was my next guess after I got to the second line and realized Otis Redding didn't fit.

I appreciated the detailed references about their time in Buckland, in the first verse. Substituting Elbereth for "Christ, you know..." in the choruses was surely the best and only good choice.

The one thing I missed was a one-syllable word for where Lennon sings "Think!", to end the bridge verse, only because that would have made the bridge easier to recognize and connect to the music (other than that, I was able to follow all the way through). Then again, I wouldn't know what word to use. So perhaps leaving it out was for the best.

Thank you! I hope more of us will come out and post parodies like this. I'm about to read Darkstone's post next.

Ruxendil_Thoorg
Tol Eressea

Jan 21 2017, 2:32am

Post #18 of 79 (2731 views)
Shortcut
Encore! [In reply to] Can't Post

Next might we look forward to Aragorn's part...?

That reminded me of a bit on a late night talk show (Leno perhaps? Letterman?) with Julia Louis Dreyfus, which turns into a surprise duet..

Oh my god what don't they have on youtube??? I thought I'd have to describe it in words but here it is. And it aired in 2000, if the youtube info is correct. Now I'm viewing it once again it after 16, going on 17 years.

His expression and the way he shakes his head is priceless.

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Jan 21 2017, 2:36am

Post #19 of 79 (2725 views)
Shortcut
A hundred men on Mars. // [In reply to] Can't Post

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
Discuss Tolkien's life and works in the Reading Room!
+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=
How to find old Reading Room discussions.

Ruxendil_Thoorg
Tol Eressea

Jan 21 2017, 2:42am

Post #20 of 79 (2733 views)
Shortcut
...ah! took me a moment but I get it! [In reply to] Can't Post

As in "It's nothiing that a hundred men on Mars could ever do...."
gotta love missheard lyrics.

For me, for the longest time I thought it went "I catch the rays down in Africa..." Cool

Darkstone
Immortal

Jan 21 2017, 4:07am

Post #21 of 79 (2724 views)
Shortcut
Well [In reply to] Can't Post

(Inspired by a lyric suggestion by Annael):

“I'm gonna wash Rohan right outa my hair,
I'm gonna wash Rohan right outa my hair,
And I’ll be on my way!

“If a land don't understand you,
No matter how many regimes,
Saddle up, do not wait,
Don’t waste time at the weapontake.
Muster out of that roll call.
Ride Windfola out to your dreams!

“If the house of Eorl is nothing more,
Than a barn where brigands drink,
Their brats and dogs roll on the floor,
Then you know what the door is for,
Muster out of that roll call,
Wash Rohan into the sink!

“I'm gonna wash Rohan right outa my hair,
And I’ll be on my way!"

“Begone, foul dwimmerlaik, lord of carrion! Leave the dead in peace!"
"Come not between the Nazgul and his prey! Or he will not slay thee in thy turn. He will bear thee away to the houses of lamentation, beyond all darkness, where thy flesh shall be devoured, and thy shrivelled mind be left naked to the Lidless Eye."
"Do what you will; but I will hinder it, if I may."
"Hinder me? Thou fool. No living man may hinder me!"
"But no living man am I! I am Eowyn, daughter of Theodwyn!”
"Er, really? My mother's name was Theodwyn, too!"
"No way!"
"Way!"
"Wow! Let's stop fighting and be best friends!"
"Cool!!"

-Zack Snyder's The Return of the King

Ruxendil_Thoorg
Tol Eressea

Jan 21 2017, 4:38pm

Post #22 of 79 (2695 views)
Shortcut
I think I know this one [In reply to] Can't Post

The title has got to be something like "I'm gonna wash that man right out of my hair" and its from South Pacific i think. I havent seen it, but i know the tune from a tv commercial jingle from the 70s (i'm gonna wash that gray right out of my hair...for some hair colouring product) Nicely done!

Thank you!

Ruxendil_Thoorg
Tol Eressea

Jan 21 2017, 6:13pm

Post #23 of 79 (2699 views)
Shortcut
ANOTHER ROUND of Name that Tune *Lament for Túrin* [In reply to] Can't Post

This one's a bit more obscure. I'm curious to know who will guess this one. Hints at the bottom.

This is my first attempt at a parody or lyrical adaptation about Túrin, wrote it during past couple of days, on and off. Please let me know what you think of it.

*Lament for Túrin*

Túrin's friend came,
Elf Lord to rescue him.
Slashed his ropes
In the night.
Turin's mistake:
Thanked the lord
With his own blade.

Fighting back the tears,
Túrin went to Nargothrond,
Had a bridge built on his advice.
Across it, came
the enemies’ flame,
Which brought them to their knees
That day.

[Chorus x2]
I don’t want to start,
Or have blasphemies spoken,
but I think we've got
Here the sick side of Tolkien,
and not the style
I expect. Some find it
Shocking.

Túrin fell faint,
Having stabbed his enemy,
Found as lifeless by his wife,
Lift did her curse:
Full recall,
Cast herself in the ravine.

{Sfx- sampled gurgling sound, as though from a scream underwater}

On his sword,
Anguished Túrin lowered.
Mound was risen on a hill up high.
In two days came,
Where son was lain,
A tearful pair of parents' eyes.

[Chorus x5]
I don’t mean to start,
Or have blasphemies spoken,
but I think we've got
Here the sick side of Tolkien,
and not the style
I expect. Some find it
Shocking.

Hints: Song released in 1984. Artist is an English synth pop band with a French name, male vocals, mostly from the mid-to-late 80s. Wikipedia classifies the song’s genre as synth pop, industrial. The song is strikingly darker in tone and lyrics than the group's previously released works. Wikipedia says it was intended to be released as a single but that idea fell through following protests from the religious community. Number 16 in UK single charts. One of several youtube clips of the song boasts 1.25+ views as of this post.

Remember, no Googling. Closed book. Answers in the body, not the subject heading, thank you.

(This post was edited by Ruxendil_Thoorg on Jan 21 2017, 6:18pm)

sador
Half-elven

Jan 21 2017, 6:24pm

Post #24 of 79 (2695 views)
Shortcut
Got it [In reply to] Can't Post

"Blasphemous rumours" by Depeche Mode.

When you posted the previous one, I was on flat mode - so I saw dernwyn's answer before having time to think.

sador
Half-elven

Jan 21 2017, 7:11pm

Post #25 of 79 (2692 views)
Shortcut
As Haldir shows up at Helm's Deep: [In reply to] Can't Post

Oliver's army are on their way
Oliver's army are here to stay
And I would rather be anywhere else
than here (in the theatre) today.

I guess many book fans channeled Elvis Costello at that moment.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.