other: please add to the list!
View Results (31 votes)

weathertop
Rohan

Jan 10 2017, 6:55pm

Post #1 of 17 (2812 views)
Shortcut
Which quick ME resource do you most use Can't Post

whilst looking around i found that some of the resources i've used from the long past (encyclopedia of arda and the framecap library) apparently now have some competition. Curious as to what others are out there.

http://www.glyphweb.com/arda/

http://tolkiengateway.net/

http://askmiddlearth.tumblr.com/

http://www.framecaplib.com/lotrlib.htm

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jan 10 2017, 7:14pm

Post #2 of 17 (2761 views)
Shortcut
Probably Tolkien Gateway [In reply to] Can't Post

I actually wanted to vote for both Tolkien Gateway and The Encyclopedia of Arda. Sometimes I use One Wiki to Rule Them All (http://lotr.wikia.com/wiki/Middle-earth).

Frankly, I've never before heard of the site Ask About Middle Earth.

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Jan 10 2017, 7:19pm)

weathertop
Rohan

Jan 10 2017, 7:29pm

Post #3 of 17 (2751 views)
Shortcut
i hadn't either [In reply to] Can't Post

but I was looking for some info on why movie Thranduil might have had an issue with a “lowly Silvan elf” -- because I thought he had assimilated into the Silvan community in the Greenwood -- and found this article: http://askmiddlearth.tumblr.com/post/71343971696/tauriel-the-lowly-silvan-elf

I hadn't heard of that One Wiki before.

Curious to see which of those three wikis (and any others that get mentioned) has more complete, accurate info.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jan 10 2017, 9:32pm

Post #4 of 17 (2740 views)
Shortcut
'Lowly Silvan Elf' [In reply to] Can't Post

That's an interesting article but the simple truth is that we know far too little about the mother of Legolas and Tolkien tells us absolutely nothing about her. Most speculation that I've run across assumes that she would have been a Sinda Elf of good family, though it is entirely possible that Tolkien would have made her a Wood-elf. He never actually wrote that the Sindar of the Woodland Realm commonly intermarried with the Silvan Elves; that is something that we are inferring ourselves.

weathertop
Rohan

Jan 10 2017, 10:11pm

Post #5 of 17 (2735 views)
Shortcut
But isn't it a given [In reply to] Can't Post

that Thranduil is Sinda (therefore so is Legolas - at least in half, regardless of his mother's lineage)?

But then again I get confused when trying to decipher Silvan vs Sindar. I thought Silvan was a subset of the Noldor, where Sindar and Noldor were subsets of the Teleri.
I thought Lorien and the Woodlands were Silvan originally, then came Galadriel (a higher Noldor), Celeborn and Thranduil (Sindar) to end up ruling over them.

(This post was edited by weathertop on Jan 10 2017, 10:23pm)

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jan 10 2017, 11:15pm

Post #6 of 17 (2727 views)
Shortcut
Not quite... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
...Thranduil is Sinda (therefore so is Legolas - at least in half, regardless of his mother's lineage)?

Yes, that is so.

In Reply To
But then again I get confused when trying to decipher Silvan vs Sindar. I thought Silvan was a subset of the Noldor, where Sindar and Noldor were subsets of the Teleri.

No, the Sindar are a subset of the Teleri that mostly never left Middle-earth (Cirdan the Shipwright being a notable exception). SIlvan Elves seem to include both Avari who eventually migrated west into Rhovanion and possibly Nandor Elves who never crossed the Misty Mountains.

In Reply To
I thought Lorien and the Woodlands were Silvan originally, then came Galadriel (a higher Noldor), Celeborn and Thranduil (Sindar) to end up ruling over them.

Yes, that seems pretty accurate, though there might be other Sindar among the ruling class. And Tolkien later toyed with the idea of retconning Celeborn into a Telerin Elf who accompanied Galadriel from Aman.

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Jan 10 2017, 11:17pm)

weathertop
Rohan

Jan 11 2017, 4:36am

Post #7 of 17 (2710 views)
Shortcut
sorry [In reply to] Can't Post

Nandor/Noldor bah, mistyped!

Nandor would be the subset of the Teleri (along with Sindar and the other one?). i thought Silvan were a subset of the Nandor. But if they were part of the Avari, that might make a bit more sense (including a potential explanation of the Tauriel comment).

and having Celeborn be a Teleri, would seem to make things fit better.

(This post was edited by weathertop on Jan 11 2017, 4:41am)

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jan 11 2017, 5:28am

Post #8 of 17 (2696 views)
Shortcut
Silvan Elves [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't think that Tolkien was entirely consistent in his descriptions of the Silvan Elves/Wood-elves. In The Hobbit he wrote:

...most of them (together with their scattered relations in the hills and mountains) were descended from the ancient tribes that never went to Faerie in the West... In the Wide World the Wood-elves lingered in the twilight of our Sun and Moon, but loved best the stars; and they wandered in the great forests that grew tall in lands that are now lost.

That could describe either the surviving Nandor who never entered Beleriand or the Avari. Appendix F ("The Languages and Peoples of the Third Age") of The Lord of the Rings notes:

The Elves far back in the Elder Days became divided into two main branches: the West-elves (the Eldar) and the East-elves. Of the latter kind [that is, the East-elves or Avari] were most of the elven-folk of Mirkwood and Lórien; but their languages do not appear in this history, in which all the Elvish names and words are of Eldarin form.

The Index of Unfinished Tales contradicts this with the following:

Silvan Elves . Nandorin Elves who never passed west of the Misty Mountains but remained in the Vale of Anduin and in Greenwood the Great.

In my personal opinion, the published LotR is more authoritative than UT. At the same time, I am willing to compromise and say that the Wood-elves were comprised of both Nandorin Elves and Avari.

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Jan 11 2017, 5:33am)

Gianna
Rohan

Jan 12 2017, 2:49pm

Post #9 of 17 (2655 views)
Shortcut
Usually Tolkien Gateway, [In reply to] Can't Post

sometimes wikipedia in a pinch.

OldestDaughter
Rohan

Jan 12 2017, 3:33pm

Post #10 of 17 (2650 views)
Shortcut
Tolkiengateway definitely [In reply to] Can't Post

I used to look at one called J.R.R. Tolkien. I really don't remember though, they took it down years ago.

But Tolkiengateway is my go to site!

Darkstone
Immortal

Jan 12 2017, 3:34pm

Post #11 of 17 (2653 views)
Shortcut
Encyclopedia of Arda [In reply to] Can't Post

I like to browse the alphabetical index.

I used to use another one (Tuckborough?) that was good, but it got overrun by malware.

(This post was edited by Darkstone on Jan 12 2017, 3:37pm)

dormouse
Half-elven

Jan 12 2017, 7:13pm

Post #12 of 17 (2638 views)
Shortcut
Encyclopedia of Arda and Tolkien Gateway.... [In reply to] Can't Post

probably about equally.

And the Complete Guide to Middle Earth (book).

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Jan 12 2017, 10:57pm

Post #13 of 17 (2628 views)
Shortcut
this has been [In reply to] Can't Post

wildly informative, esp the bits about the Sindar!

(I have a silvery grey cat named Sindarin)

sparrowruth
Rivendell

Jan 15 2017, 11:21pm

Post #14 of 17 (2589 views)
Shortcut
tolkiengateway [In reply to] Can't Post

....though i'm probably as likely to use one of the tolkien reference books i have as anything

malickfan
Gondor

Jan 29 2017, 10:23am

Post #15 of 17 (2233 views)
Shortcut
I generally find Tolkien Gateway to be the most reliable of the wiki's [In reply to] Can't Post

As they cite references from the books, keep facts and fan theories separate and don't combine information from the films and books on the same page, lots of great artwork there as well.

Eldy
Tol Eressea

Jan 29 2017, 8:08pm

Post #16 of 17 (2214 views)
Shortcut
Since The Thain's Book went offline... [In reply to] Can't Post

...the Tolkien Gateway has been the best online Tolkien encyclopedia, in my opinion. As a wiki it has some accuracy problems, but the community there is pretty good at fixing most issues. Most (though not all) of their articles are pretty well cited, too.

Encyclopedia of Arda is perhaps more consistent on the accuracy front but their usefulness is limited by the lack of citations (making it hard to double check or find out more information), and their entries tend to be very brief and surface-level.

The Ask Middle-earth page on tumblr has some interesting content but it's not really comparable IMO as its not an encyclopedia.

(This post was edited by Eldorion on Jan 29 2017, 8:10pm)

ange1e4e5
Gondor

Mar 20 2017, 2:15am

Post #17 of 17 (1852 views)
Shortcut
Tolkien Gateway. [In reply to] Can't Post

Brought myself up to speed with The Silmarillion with them. Also really like the artwork on the site.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.