The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
DragonCon to Dissolve Tolkien's Middle-earth Track

NewsfromBree
spymaster@theonering.net

Jan 9 2017, 7:01pm

Post #1 of 3 (444 views)
Shortcut
DragonCon to Dissolve Tolkien's Middle-earth Track Can't Post

DragonCon, the annual pop culture convention held on Labor Day weekend in Atlanta, Georgia has announced that there will no longer be a Tolkien's Middle-earth programming track. Instead, any Tolkien-related content will be absorbed into other programming tracks, such as Fantasy Literature, Costuming, and Main Programming.

This is a huge blow to the thousands of Tolkien fans that have attended DragonCon over the years. The Tolkien track has been a staple of DragonCon's programming, long before Peter Jackson's films were released. Over the years the track has presented quality panels on the books, films, music, and costuming. They've hosted actors from 'The Lord of the Rings' and 'The Hobbit' trilogies, as well as Tolkien artists and scholars. Bonds of friendship and love have been forged from time spent in the track room and for many friends it is the one time each year they get to see each other.

For the last 9 years, TOR.n staffer MrCere has been Tolkien's Middle-earth track director. Yesterday he announced the end on the Tolkien Track's Facebook page:

In my personal opinion, this is a terrible decision. In brief I told DragonCon:
* I think Tolkien shouldn't be lumped into fantasy, for his sake and for dominating the rest of the fantasy content
* There is scholarship about Tolkien that differentiates him & his works from every single other Fantasy creator
* Tolkien content is still coming out new, at a solid rate, including a new book in 2017
* 80 years of fandom and counting, not a fad or trend
*Tolkien brings mainstream respectability to the whole convention and transcends just fantasy / just generally geekery
* Guest potential (Weta Digital & Weta Workshop & actors)
* Because good things are worth fighting for
* It harms Dragon Con by removing it

I hope WE can be united as a fandom, of which I am a member. It would be nice to form something of a Fellowship to Vote Bilbo -- if some of you know that reference.

The Tolkien track would love to continue as long as DragonCon does, but at the very least they'd like one last year to hold a proper goodbye. If you would like to voice your support for the Tolkien track, PLEASE contact DragonCon and let them know (politely)! Click HERE, and select DragonCon Office under the list of departments. As Tolkien fans have proven time and time again, even the smallest person can change the course of the future.

****************************************************************************************************************

Below are a very small selection of photos taken at Tolkien track panels and events throughout the year; photo credit has been listed, but if any are missing, please let us know!

(This post was edited by entmaiden on Jan 10 2017, 3:16pm)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jan 10 2017, 3:02pm

Post #2 of 3 (412 views)
Shortcut
What are they thinking!?! [In reply to] Can't Post

I want to thank TORn-members who keep these tracks and booths alive in conventions all over the U.S. And much thanks to MrCere for leading this effort for so many years. I have definitely sent DragonCon a little note.

I have attended DragonCon specifically for the Tolkien and Middle-earth events... even bringing my grandchildren to experience a Tolkien-related convention. I'm SHOCKED to learn that DragonCon has dropped this very special programming celebrating this ground-breaking Author's world and all of the scholarly, film, literature, and fandom that has grown from Tolkien's works. J.R.R. Tolkien deserves the identity, respect and celebration of a continued place of authority. Please reconsider your determination not to support the fans, artists, authors, celebrities, and creators of all things Tolkien. Thank you.

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observations List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observations List - May 15, 2014

5th draft of TH:BotFA Geeky Observations List - January 30, 2015

TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

wizzardly
Rohan

Jan 10 2017, 11:52pm

Post #3 of 3 (376 views)
Shortcut
Very sad to see... [In reply to] Can't Post

but not altogether surprising as in the minds of most modern mainstream culture, Middle-earth has been swallowed up by the generalized genre of "Fantasy". Of course the films of Peter Jackson, particulary his Hobbit, have a lot to do with this, and most people think of the stories of Middle-earth as just any other pop culture escapism, like Game of Thrones or Harry Potter.

I myself am unable to attend events like DragonCon on account of the fact that I am allergic to B.O., but it still makes me sad to see this happen.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.