third movie would automatically be way better with some cuts and additions
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

VeArkenstone
Lorien

Feb 5 2017, 8:55pm

Post #26 of 30 (1085 views)
Shortcut
Well, no, I have not seen the extended version [In reply to] Can't Post

I am planning to buy this in the near future, and I have read that it is better and adds some depth. I did like many of the individual scenes very much, but the individual scenes just did not flow together as a whole like the previous five movies did. It is my sincere hope that when I finally see the extended version, one or more of the following thoughts will run through my mind: "Well, that isn't so bad a movie as I thought," and/or "What was I thinking? I really like this movie," and/or "Thorin and Thranduil still totally do it for me (actually Thorin's angst and Thranduil's painful epithany was pretty interesting)."

Please, call me Ve.

Glorfindela
Valinor

Feb 6 2017, 12:49am

Post #27 of 30 (1080 views)
Shortcut
Nope [In reply to] Can't Post

Sadly it's not an improvement, and the balance of the story is still all wrong, with even more time being spent on grossness and vulgarity, and no more of Beorn or of a proper ending for the film. The jerkiness of the whole thing has not improved either. Unimpressed

Some stuff is very good (sadly none of it new to the extended edition, though), like Thorin and Smaug and the Great Fire. Also all the background information is interesting.

Oh, and forgot to mention – this is 'just my opinion', of course. Smile

(This post was edited by Glorfindela on Feb 6 2017, 12:57am)

VeArkenstone
Lorien

Feb 6 2017, 7:29pm

Post #28 of 30 (1052 views)
Shortcut
Heavy sigh. [In reply to] Can't Post

Any ideas on what may have happened? This is movie is so completely different from the other five that it seems to me that it must have had different direction, a different team of writers, etc. I just don't get it.

Please, call me Ve.

VeArkenstone
Lorien

Feb 6 2017, 7:59pm

Post #29 of 30 (1048 views)
Shortcut
It is puzzling. When I go back and rewatch any of TH trilogy it is DoS. [In reply to] Can't Post

I think it is the most exciting of that Trilogy and I just love some of the scenes.

Please, call me Ve.

Glorfindela
Valinor

Feb 6 2017, 11:43pm

Post #30 of 30 (1037 views)
Shortcut
DoS [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I think it is the most exciting of that Trilogy and I just love some of the scenes.

In my view the entire Hobbit trilogy went down after AUJ (though there were stupid things in that as well), despite some superb scenes with Smaug, Thorin and so on. Looking at it from a distance now, it did seem very disjointed and jerky, and many of the scenes looked like stage sets. This wasn't the case in FotR, for example, which really made you believe in that world, and that it could be real (and that's despite the fact that LotR was filmed a long time ago now).

A missed opportunity, with the Hobbit, because it needn't have been like that. I do also feel there was a lot of self-indulgence in the Hobbit, perhaps due to a self-confidence that didn't exist so much when LotR was being made…

I know the Hobbit films were successful in financial terms, but they could have been so much more successful. As it is, they ended up as a bit of a damp squib, riding on the success of LotR, and with viewers wanting to recreate the passion and interest they had during the LotR films (which I remember so well – people were going absolutely crazy about those films as they were being released).

(This post was edited by Glorfindela on Feb 6 2017, 11:44pm)

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.