Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
third movie would automatically be way better with some cuts and additions
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Bree

Jan 4 2017, 10:38pm

Post #1 of 30 (3587 views)
Shortcut
third movie would automatically be way better with some cuts and additions Can't Post

I liked the third movie but it automatically would raise from 7 to 9 for me if they had cut out some Alfrid scenes and a couple Legolas stunts and left in some other scenes that were cut (Thorin's funeral, the dwarves getting their moments in battle, Bilbo planting the acorn, Gandalf scolding Thranduil for only being interested in jewels, Bilbo and Bofur's conversation etc)

(This post was edited by 1924 on Jan 4 2017, 10:38pm)

Yngwulff
Gondor

Jan 5 2017, 2:16am

Post #2 of 30 (3486 views)
Shortcut
and [In reply to] Can't Post

Add cloud of bats keeping the sun off the goblin army and remove the giant worms

“I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.”

DainPig
Gondor

Jan 5 2017, 9:51pm

Post #3 of 30 (3404 views)
Shortcut
I agree, OP [In reply to] Can't Post

Legolas do some ridiculous stuff, so do Alfrid. And why the hell cut Thorin's funeral. It shows us what happens to Arkenstone and to Dain.

In Reply To
Add cloud of bats keeping the sun off the goblin army and remove the giant worms

What is wrong with the worms? They do their job.

Noria
Gondor

Jan 6 2017, 1:15pm

Post #4 of 30 (3349 views)
Shortcut
Already there is disagreement about what should be cut and added, [In reply to] Can't Post

Everybody has different ideas.

I've said along that the EE of TBOTFA should have been the theatrical cut, with another extended version to follow.

As for changes, I enjoy Legolas but find the sequences too long, so I would only trim them to make room for Thorin's funeral and so on. But that would be book fan service and the movie would probably have been criticized for having too prolonged or too many endings, like RotK.

For me Alfrid is too much but he serves a function and I would only tone him down, not eliminate him entirely. No doubt there are more restrained takes of his scenes. I did prefer his disappearance in the TE to his being eaten in the EE though.

As for the worms, I thought they were great.

dormouse
Half-elven

Jan 6 2017, 3:01pm

Post #5 of 30 (3338 views)
Shortcut
No, it wouldn't..... [In reply to] Can't Post

'Automatically' implies that everyone would agree with your initial idea and would also agree, at least broadly, on the cuts and additions. They don't.

I enjoyed the film in the cinema, while feeling some parts were a bit rushed (I felt exactly the same about RotK, as it happens.) The EE made up for it, though much as I love the film I'm inclined to agree with Noria that I'd like the EE to have been the theatrical version with a longer EE to follow.

I'm also pretty much in agreement with Noria's other points. Legolas doesn't bother me, I like him - particularly in the Gundabad scene with Tauriel and the final scene with his father. Alfrid just needed toning down a bit.

For still there are so many things
that I have never seen:
in every wood and every spring
there is a different green. . .

Bree

Jan 6 2017, 5:57pm

Post #6 of 30 (3312 views)
Shortcut
well [In reply to] Can't Post

it is my opinion of course

imin
Valinor

Jan 6 2017, 6:46pm

Post #7 of 30 (3309 views)
Shortcut
People seem to have missed this bit in the OP [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I liked the third movie but it automatically would raise from 7 to 9 for me

For me, implying opinion.

All posts are to be taken as my opinion.

dormouse
Half-elven

Jan 6 2017, 11:07pm

Post #8 of 30 (3261 views)
Shortcut
Yes - can't speak for anyone else.... [In reply to] Can't Post

..but my response was to the subject line which doesn't offer any such qualification.

Of course the OP's entitled to his or her opinion, whatever it might be.

that I have never seen:

DainPig
Gondor

Jan 6 2017, 11:27pm

Post #9 of 30 (3255 views)
Shortcut
Of course it is his opinion [In reply to] Can't Post

What else could it be?

imin
Valinor

Jan 7 2017, 12:14am

Post #10 of 30 (3246 views)
Shortcut
Need to read more than just the subject line then... [In reply to] Can't Post

TheOnlyOneAroundWithAnySense
Rohan

Jan 7 2017, 1:47am

Post #11 of 30 (3239 views)
Shortcut
It's funny to me how often we need to restate this given fact on internet forums [In reply to] Can't Post

But I also get that a lot of people out there in the world take their opinion as the same kind of fact as the fact that their opinion is an opinion.

Tricky.

LittleHobbit
Lorien

Jan 7 2017, 3:38am

Post #12 of 30 (3213 views)
Shortcut
People should always clarify... [In reply to] Can't Post

that what they post is an opinion. Every opinion should be prefaced with statements like ''It is my opinion that'', ''in my opinion'', ''I think that'', ''I am of the view of'', etc. Otherwise why shouldn't we take that they are proclaiming what they are as FACT instead of opinion?

TheOnlyOneAroundWithAnySense
Rohan

Jan 7 2017, 6:01am

Post #13 of 30 (3198 views)
Shortcut
I've been reading this back for a minute and I truly can't tell if this is sarcasm or not [In reply to] Can't Post

If it is: well done!

If it is not: because very basic intelligence and common sense tells us that when someone is describing the quality of something subjective, like a movie, it is an opinion always. Sometimes the opinion will be well reasoned or poorly reasoned, backed with evidence from the film or completely made up out of the thin air inside their head where basic intelligence and common sense should be, but an opinion nonetheless. Typing "in my opinion" to preface every viewpoint is exactly as tedious as it is to constantly read on a message board mostly made up of opinions. It's totally unnecessary.

Imagine a film review site operating under that ideal. It would be exactly as much fun to browse through hundreds and hundreds of "I feel..." and "in my humble opinion..." refrains each couple of write-ups as it sounds. Which, of course, sounds like a hoot!

(This post was edited by TheOnlyOneAroundWithAnySense on Jan 7 2017, 6:07am)

LittleHobbit
Lorien

Jan 7 2017, 11:52am

Post #14 of 30 (3171 views)
Shortcut
Sadly, that wasn't sarcast at all. [In reply to] Can't Post

Let me explain my viewpoint more clearly.

If an objective criticism can be done in the form of direct affirmation, which may be correct or not, a subjective criticism IS, AND WILL ALWAYS BE, a personal opinion that HAS NO TRUTH VALUE. If I say that Jurassic Park errs to attribute to the Jurassic period animals that are from the Cretaceous period, that is an objective criticism, which may be RIGHT or WRONG, and can be compared with scientific sources. But if I state that the acting of the actors doesn't convince, except if it is the opinion of everybody, that is too subejctive to be considered true of false, because nobody can tell to one person that she is right or wrong in her sensibility.

We might try to make her feel other aspects, point to other characteristics and see if showing another point of view she changes her mind, but that will be up only to the person herself. The non-transferable and personal sensibility is PARAMOUNT. And by that same token, the opinions should ALWAYS be prefaced of a personal declaration, of the kind ''think so'', ''seems to me'', ''I am of the viewpoint that'', etc. This is valid even for movie reviewers, by the way.

I could go on, but for now, that constitutes the core of my argument. You are welcome to present a counter-argument, of course! Cool

(This post was edited by LittleHobbit on Jan 7 2017, 12:00pm)

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jan 7 2017, 2:48pm

Post #15 of 30 (3141 views)
Shortcut
What is Truth? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
If an objective criticism can be done in the form of direct affirmation, which may be correct or not, a subjective criticism IS, AND WILL ALWAYS BE, a personal opinion that HAS NO TRUTH VALUE.

You've opened up a can of worms with that statement. An opinion, or even a piece of fiction, can contain more Truth than a hundred recitations of raw facts--or at least that is my opinion.

"He who lies artistically, treads closer to the truth than ever he knows." -- Favorite proverb of the wizard Ningauble of the Seven Eyes

Noria
Gondor

Jan 7 2017, 3:37pm

Post #16 of 30 (3131 views)
Shortcut
In my opinion.... [In reply to] Can't Post

I like to throw in “in my opinion” and “I think” both to lessen any feeling of belligerence in my posts and to make it clear that I am not confusing my opinion with fact, as so many people seem to do. On these forums I’ve seen posts in which the writer overtly presents his/her opinion as fact, as in “We all know that The Hobbit movies were complete failures.” when the fact is that each made over or close to a billion dollars. I'm probably guilty of that kind of thing myself, though with me it would be more along the lines of "The Hobbit movies are beautiful to look at and listen to."

Of course in my opinion my opinions are usually correct! Wink

dormouse
Half-elven

Jan 7 2017, 6:28pm

Post #17 of 30 (3110 views)
Shortcut
I did read the post as well, and always do... [In reply to] Can't Post

..but I responded to the subject line because it was, well, the subject of the thread, as given. Why else call them subject lines?

Anyway, it was only my opinion (as is this), so please feel free to ignore if you don't like it.

that I have never seen:

imin
Valinor

Jan 7 2017, 6:38pm

Post #18 of 30 (3106 views)
Shortcut
OK... [In reply to] Can't Post

Now that's interesting and just seems odd to me (in my opinion), to read the subject line and the post but then only respond to the title with a response that looks like it distorts what the OP said (after all they said it was in their opinion and not stating fact). Was merely pointing that out, nothing to do with whether i like your posts or not, i actually find them interesting as they differ in view of the films so much from my own. Of course if you dislike my posts you are welcome to respond or ignore as well.

Anyway, it has turned into a rather interesting thread, so thats something. Smile

~Juicy Lembas ~

Jan 20 2017, 6:16pm

Post #19 of 30 (2735 views)
Shortcut
more of Jackson's humor would be nice [In reply to] Can't Post

The last movie was a little too serious for my tastes. Personally my favorite things about his movies are his comedic bits. Like when that one guy burps in everyone's faces across the table and Pippin farts in the boat! That stuff is brilliant! Sly

Ostadan
Rivendell

Jan 20 2017, 7:35pm

Post #20 of 30 (2719 views)
Shortcut
Opinions [In reply to] Can't Post

I made it a rule to forbear all direct contradictions to the
sentiments of others, and all positive assertion of my own.
I even forbade myself the use of every word or expression in
the language that imported a fixed opinion, such as ``certainly'',
``undoubtedly'', etc. I adopted instead of them ``I conceive'',
``I apprehend'', or ``I imagine'' a thing to be so or so; or
``so it appears to me at present''.

When another asserted something that I thought an error, I
denied myself the pleasure of contradicting him abruptly,
and of showing him immediately some absurdity in his proposition.
In answering I began by observing that in certain cases or
circumstances his opinion would be right, but in the present
case there appeared or seemed to me some difference, etc.

I soon found the advantage of this change in my manner;
the conversations I engaged in went on more pleasantly.
The modest way in which I proposed my opinions procured them
a readier reception and less contradiction. I had less
mortification when I was found to be in the wrong, and I
more easily prevailed with others to give up their mistakes
and join with me when I happened to be in the right.

-- Autobiography of Benjamin Franklin

Noria
Gondor

Jan 21 2017, 1:15pm

Post #21 of 30 (2683 views)
Shortcut
Gee, that Benjamin Franklin fellow was pretty smart!// [In reply to] Can't Post

VeArkenstone
Lorien

Jan 24 2017, 1:41am

Post #22 of 30 (2629 views)
Shortcut
Part 3 just did not flow for me. [In reply to] Can't Post

I only saw the movie two times when it first came out, but I was so disappointed both times. There were many scenes I thought were completely unnecessary, and other important scenes were either too short or just eliminated. And what did happen to that funeral? And Dain, I don't buy it at all. For me it was like someone purposely ruined it, considering caliber of the 5 movies that came before it.

Anyway, I am willing to give another try and finally buying a copy. I am not going to hold it against Peter Jackson, but I am still puzzled as what happened.

Please, call me Ve.

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 24 2017, 1:47am

Post #23 of 30 (2632 views)
Shortcut
Did you see the extended version? [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm not saying it will fix all your objections (likely it won't), but I thought it did solve some of the problems, and at least the funeral did make it in, albeit more briefly than many of us would have liked.

Silverlode

Roads go ever ever on
Under cloud and under star
Yet feet that wandering have gone
Turn at last to home afar.
Eyes that fire and sword have seen
And horror in the halls of stone
Look at last on meadows green
And trees and hills they long have known.

malickfan
Gondor

Jan 29 2017, 10:46am

Post #24 of 30 (2517 views)
Shortcut
I only watched it once... [In reply to] Can't Post

...Honestly i found it pretty boring...and no, that's not because I'm an action film junkie with a limited attention span, I just couldn't connect with most of the characters, little of the new material held by interest and it was less a battle more a confused bloated videogame pile up, I have very little interest in re watching TH trilogy anytime soon.

Jacob0407

Feb 3 2017, 10:53pm

Post #25 of 30 (2431 views)
Shortcut
Missing scenes ? [In reply to] Can't Post

How much extra footage m the hobbit movies is still never seen the light of day does anyone know?

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.