Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
At last, someone has illustrated the single most tantalizing scene in "The Hobbit"!

squire
Half-elven

Jan 3 2017, 10:13pm

Post #1 of 9 (1572 views)
Shortcut
At last, someone has illustrated the single most tantalizing scene in "The Hobbit"! Can't Post

I have been waiting for this for a long time. Alan Lee, where were you? John Howe - Ted Nasmith - David Wenzel - Michael Hague - even Ezpeleta: nothing! Rankin/Bass gave us our furry Smaug and froggy Gollum but walked away from this one. I accurately predicted that the recent film would also avoid this, even though it delivers the kind of full out nudity that the films' producers and writers should have grabbed with both hands, given their apparent need to jazz the book up with some sex and stuff.

As I just found out, though, our European friends never disappoint when it comes to proving Hollywood to be artistically shallow and timid. This blog, Brain Pickings, just published some amazing pictures from less-known editions of The Hobbit over the past five decades. And there we see that in 1979, bold Czech illustrator Jiri Salamoun went with his gut, and picked up on this famous passage from Chapter 7, after the Dwarves are delivered to the Carrock:
Then they took off their clothes and bathed in the river, which was shallow and clear and stony at the ford. When they had dried in the sun, which was now strong and warm, they were refreshed, if still sore and a little hungry.
I know this is a family site, and Salamoun's painting is not for the kiddies, so click here.

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Archive: All the TORn Reading Room Book Discussions (including the 1st BotR Discussion!) and Footerama: "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
Dr. Squire introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 3 2017, 11:35pm

Post #2 of 9 (1505 views)
Shortcut
Ha! [In reply to] Can't Post

Is it wrong of me to think that the guy who is bent over (with his left arm flung high) is bowing in apprecation to the dwarf on the rock who is 'displaying' in all his glory?

Angelic

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

a.s.
Valinor

Jan 4 2017, 12:26am

Post #3 of 9 (1504 views)
Shortcut
OK, much as I LOVE Brain Pickings, I think [In reply to] Can't Post

that the Princess Hobbits illustrations belong in that list somewhere!!

http://www.tolkienbooks.net/php/princess.php

I mean, the one of Gollum chasing Bilbo is unquestionably the best illustration EVER.

Cool

a.s.

"an seileachan"

"A safe fairyland is untrue to all worlds." JRR Tolkien, Letters.

InTheChair
Rohan

Jan 4 2017, 7:05pm

Post #4 of 9 (1456 views)
Shortcut
Hand me my tightie whities Bilbo. [In reply to] Can't Post

My memory say there a similar sort of scene at Rivendell where the dwarves and Bilbo wash up and bathe in the nude, and that in a place where you never know when the next elf might not pop around the corner.

Salamouns picture is worthy in intent, though I have to wonder about the authenticity of the Haines and the T-shirt?

Asger
Rivendell

Jan 5 2017, 9:51pm

Post #5 of 9 (1421 views)
Shortcut
That bathing-scene [In reply to] Can't Post

is in the EE-movie but obviously borrowed from the books Anduin-bath

"Don't take life seriously, it ain't nohow permanent!" Pogo
www.willy-centret.dk

squire
Half-elven

Jan 6 2017, 10:50pm

Post #6 of 9 (1388 views)
Shortcut
Thank you! [In reply to] Can't Post

I never knew that scene was in the EE. It's been vulgarized but like you say, it was clearly inspired (?) by the text.

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Archive: All the TORn Reading Room Book Discussions (including the 1st BotR Discussion!) and Footerama: "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
Dr. Squire introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

InTheChair
Rohan

Jan 8 2017, 4:34pm

Post #7 of 9 (1332 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for putting me back on track. [In reply to] Can't Post

Ah crap. And I told myself I would not let the movies cloud my memory of Tolkien. We are helpless against the commercial hammering of Hollywood.

sador
Half-elven

Jan 8 2017, 7:57pm

Post #8 of 9 (1319 views)
Shortcut
It happens to everybody. [In reply to] Can't Post

Even to some who regularly disparage the movies.

All you can do is try the best to keep them separate.

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 31 2017, 2:02am

Post #9 of 9 (1138 views)
Shortcut
The Dwarf in the white Calvin Kleins... [In reply to] Can't Post

... is way ahead of his time Sly

The Hobbit Soundtracks - Being an online archive of information concerning Howard Shore's score for The Hobbit films.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.