The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Rogue One technical comments

Eruonen
Half-elven

Jan 2 2017, 5:45pm

Post #1 of 16 (374 views)
Shortcut
Rogue One technical comments Can't Post

As with Magical Beasts, the first 1/4 of this film is almost impossible to understand due to a combination of accent and too loud of a score. Even my 22 year old son leaned into to me to ask, "Is it just me or do you find it impossible to understand the conversations?" I agreed.
Forest Whitaker....hard to understand, Diego Luna was hard to understand. It got better but the beginning was rough.

Other odd things.....if you are landing a ship to capture a family, why do you land it soooo far away from there homestead and then walk to them over a huge field?

CGI of Peter Cushing....not bad but still obvious that he was CGI. You can always tell by the stiffness of the feature and the eyes. The mouth area was pretty good.
CGI of young Carrie Fisher.....bad, it looked like Polar Express image.

Overall, we enjoyed the film, better than most of the canon films. Too bad some of these characters will not be seen again.

Riven Delve
Tol Eressea

Jan 2 2017, 10:52pm

Post #2 of 16 (308 views)
Shortcut
Suggestion to answer your first question [In reply to] Can't Post

Other odd things.....if you are landing a ship to capture a family, why do you land it soooo far away from there homestead and then walk to them over a huge field?

I mean, besides that it creates a beautiful vista...Wink, maybe so that the death troopers can scan for booby traps? Galen fled from Krennic years ago because he discovered he was lying him about his role in harnessing the kyber crystal energy, so maybe Krennic was worried the Ersos would have some kind of defense set up around their hideout home. Or yeah, it looked pretty and dramatic.

I did have a little trouble understanding Saw, both literally and figuratively, but I understood Cassian just fine. I did think the sound mix was off somehow--the score was too loud in places--but I'm clueless as to how all that works.

“Tollers,” Lewis said to Tolkien, “there is too little of what we really like in stories. I am afraid we shall have to try and write some ourselves.”

Eruonen
Half-elven

Jan 2 2017, 11:29pm

Post #3 of 16 (301 views)
Shortcut
When I think about it, I would have expected some kind of vehicle use [In reply to] Can't Post

if coming to capture a family. Certainly, surrounding the property before springing the trap would have made sense....but then again, if you think too hard about such films things always fall apart.

Another observation, why do most of the X wing pilots look like out of shape guys vs "Top Gun" types? The fight scenes have some questions - maybe I missed something - but the original number of rebel troops in the assault was quite small but it somehow magically grew during the fight. The number of X wing fighters that got through the shield was also quite small, about 6-12 at most, yet even after multiple losses they seemed to be far more then made sense.

What makes sense about crashing two giant space ships into each other with damage only to one?

Star Wars films are really bubble gum Sci Fi - enjoyable to a degree but they seem to lose flavor upon inspection.

(This post was edited by Eruonen on Jan 2 2017, 11:31pm)

Riven Delve
Tol Eressea

Jan 2 2017, 11:49pm

Post #4 of 16 (297 views)
Shortcut
Yes, space opera logic [In reply to] Can't Post

doesn't work the same as sci-fi logic. It's more about drama than science or physics.

Another observation, why do most of the X wing pilots look like out of shape guys vs "Top Gun" types? The fight scenes have some questions - maybe I missed something - but the original number of rebel troops in the assault was quite small but it somehow magically grew during the fight. The number of X wing fighters that got through the shield was also quite small, about 6-12 at most, yet even after multiple losses they seemed to be far more then made sense.

Well, they were trying to some degree to match the aesthetic of A New Hope, which had an abundance of middle-aged mustache-sporting pilots. In fact, Red and Gold leaders were pilots from A New Hope. There were a few young things in there of both genders. The original troopers spread out to provide distractions--there were only about twelve plus the original Rogue One "crew." There were reinforcements that came in later (they yelled "For Jedha!" when they jumped out). I didn't bother trying to keep track of how many there were, though.

What makes sense about crashing two giant space ships into each other with damage only to one?

I'm not sure exactly what you mean, but I'll give it a shot... They had to crash something big into the shield generator/ring/base/thing to get the planetary shield down. The damage to the big star destroyers was irrelevant except that the first one had to be disabled in order to push it into the other with the hammerhead ship.

Star Wars films are really bubble gum Sci Fi - enjoyable to a degree but they seem to lose flavor upon inspection.

Try thinking of them less as sci fi and more as fantasy set in space. Cool

“Tollers,” Lewis said to Tolkien, “there is too little of what we really like in stories. I am afraid we shall have to try and write some ourselves.”

Eruonen
Half-elven

Jan 3 2017, 12:49am

Post #5 of 16 (288 views)
Shortcut
In regard to the ships crashing, it seems odd that one took most of the damage [In reply to] Can't Post

whereas I would expect more equivalent damage. Oh well....

However, despite my technical observation critiques, I did enjoy the movie.

Elarie
Grey Havens

Jan 3 2017, 2:38pm

Post #6 of 16 (266 views)
Shortcut
Landing the ship [In reply to] Can't Post

"Other odd things.....if you are landing a ship to capture a family, why do you land it soooo far away from there homestead and then walk to them over a huge field?"

I see this in movies all the time with cars, horses, spaceships, whatever and it always bugs me but it's obviously a movie action device because almost invariably there is some kind of action sequence involving people running back to their transportation while being attacked or running from a tornado or something. The fact that in Rogue One the people landing the ship were the attackers and didn't have to run across a great big field while being shot at is kind of unique. Smile

Gold is the strife of kinsmen,
and fire of the flood-tide,
and the path of the serpent.

Gianna
Rohan

Jan 3 2017, 4:11pm

Post #7 of 16 (256 views)
Shortcut
The accents weren't too much of a problem for me [In reply to] Can't Post

What I had a problem with in the first part of the film was the myriad of scene changes. There must have been at least five or six different locations and events subtitled on the screen. I couldn't follow them all and didn't see why a lot of them were important. It was quite choppy. And honestly, it was rather boring.

Oh gosh, yes, the Carrie Fisher CGI was pretty bad...

It was a good film though!

"The men of the East may search the scrolls,
For sure fates and fame,
But the men that drink the blood of God
Go singing to their shame."

-G.K. Chesterton, The Ballad of the White Horse, Book I

------
My fantasy novels

Eruonen
Half-elven

Jan 3 2017, 4:21pm

Post #8 of 16 (249 views)
Shortcut
The music was the main problem for us in that it drowned a lot of conversation [In reply to] Can't Post

and once again the speaking by certain characters was kind of muffled. This is a common problem in many films, certainly not just this one. Technically, it seems the various sound people are doing the audience a disservice.

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 3 2017, 7:26pm

Post #9 of 16 (234 views)
Shortcut
I wonder if the sound balance is off in your cinema. [In reply to] Can't Post

If you were interested in seeing the film again, is there another cinema you could go to for comparison?

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Eruonen
Half-elven

Jan 3 2017, 7:29pm

Post #10 of 16 (231 views)
Shortcut
As far as I can tell, sound balance wasn't the issue because the same thing [In reply to] Can't Post

tends to happen elsewhere. I just think too many films over emphasize the score or other effects during speaking scenes. The delivery of the actors sometimes is just either too fast and/or with an accent that takes a take or two to understand. At home, you can replay the scene but in the theater it flies bye.

Gianna
Rohan

Jan 3 2017, 8:00pm

Post #11 of 16 (233 views)
Shortcut
Now that I think about it [In reply to] Can't Post

I did think the music was a bit too loud as well. Almost like they were trying to make sure everyone noticed it, like they were trying to show off how Star Wars-y it was even though it wasn't by John Williams.

"The men of the East may search the scrolls,
For sure fates and fame,
But the men that drink the blood of God
Go singing to their shame."

-G.K. Chesterton, The Ballad of the White Horse, Book I

------
My fantasy novels

Eruonen
Half-elven

Jan 3 2017, 8:11pm

Post #12 of 16 (232 views)
Shortcut
Another take on the film [In reply to] Can't Post

https://www.wired.com/...one-star-wars-story/

"…but now, a few days after seeing the movie, I wonder if I’d be better off just sneaking in halfway through. For while the last 40 minutes or so of Rogue One were a blast, the build-up was remarkably blah, full of garbled gobbledygook dialogue..."

I agree with sometimes garbled.

"The Leia effect was a little wonky..." Agree, it looked bad.

(This post was edited by Eruonen on Jan 3 2017, 8:14pm)

Riven Delve
Tol Eressea

Jan 3 2017, 8:34pm

Post #13 of 16 (227 views)
Shortcut
When a review starts by asking if a movie is "necessary" [In reply to] Can't Post

--since when is "necessary" the point of making movies?--I figure I'm reading the wrong magazine. Laugh

CuriousG
Half-elven

Jan 3 2017, 9:55pm

Post #14 of 16 (215 views)
Shortcut
2 ships colliding, 1 taking the damage [In reply to] Can't Post

I thought the same thing during the movie, but afterwards, I thought of real-life car wrecks I've seen where the damage was clearly one-sided. And I recalled a policeman telling me once that a guy on a bicycle accidentally rammed a car at a high speed, and he and his bike had minimal damage whereas the car has a huge dent in the side. So, the laws of physics don't always distribute damage equally.

Eruonen
Half-elven

Jan 3 2017, 10:36pm

Post #15 of 16 (209 views)
Shortcut
Another discussion of the ship ramming [In reply to] Can't Post

http://scifi.stackexchange.com/...designed-for-ramming

"Despite your observation that the Hammerhead was only lightly damaged, the novelization indicates that it was rather extensively damaged, both before and after the collision:"

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Jan 12 2017, 11:05pm

Post #16 of 16 (136 views)
Shortcut
some thoughts [In reply to] Can't Post

One of my favorite bloggers weighed in on it here...

https://thelovepirate.net/2017/01/08/rogue-one/

and here...

https://thelovepirate.net/...e-a-star-wars-story/

He tends to be insightful, not negative, though he does call it like he sees it. He also has embedded a neat video from another blogger (a young woman) whose funny and clever insights are worth watching.

LovePirate notes that it is women who seem to drive this rebellion.

While I am a Star Wars fan, and this film has many redeeming qualities, I am entirely DONE with the apocalypse. I would rather just go watch something light and fun and happy like Finding Dory or Moana again...

OK, neither of those was light, they had plenty of depth, but they had humor and joy.

bigger on the inside...

Na 'Aear, na 'Aear! Mưl 'lain nallol, I sûl ribiel a i falf 'loss reviol...
To the sea, to the sea, the white gulls are crying, the wind is blowing and the white foam is flying... (JRR Tolkien, Legolas Song of the Sea)

Aue, aue,
Te fenua, te mālie
Nā heko hakilia
We know the way
(Te Vaka, Moana soundtrack)

Member of Horse Manure Movers Local 101, Raptor Wranglers & Rehab, and Night Fury Trainers Assoc. Owned by several cats and a very small team of maniacal sled dogs... sorry Radagast, those rabbits were delicious...

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.