The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of The Rings:
Tom Bombadil

Mole
Bree

Jan 1 2017, 10:11pm

Post #1 of 5 (1841 views)
Shortcut
Tom Bombadil Can't Post

I have tried to research this a little myself but haven't found much information...
Does anyone know if PJ ever intended to cast someone to play Tom Bombadil? I know that he was written out of their adaptation and am aware that they have outlined their resons for this in the past, but am wondering if Bombadil was going to appear in the films...perhaps in the very embryonic stages of the Fellowship being made?
If not, then were there any discussions about at least referencing him in the films; even just a line or nod to his presence in Middle Earth? Or even better, does such a moment exist and I missed it in a deleted scene somewhere?

Thanks for your help.

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 1 2017, 10:36pm

Post #2 of 5 (1828 views)
Shortcut
The only comments I remember [In reply to] Can't Post

are from Philippa Boyens in one of the FOTR EE appendices (possibly From Book to Script). She mentioned that yes, there is no Tom Bombadil but the script was written in such a way that they didn't say the hobbits never when through the Old Forest and the Barrow Downs, so fans could say they visited but its just not in the movie.

I took from that, that there was no intention to include Tom Bombadil in the film.

Is Bombadil is one of your favourite characters in LOTR?

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

(This post was edited by Ataahua on Jan 1 2017, 10:37pm)

squire
Half-elven

Jan 2 2017, 12:35am

Post #3 of 5 (1820 views)
Shortcut
I thought I heard there was to be this hat... [In reply to] Can't Post

Pardon my fogginess on this. I have a vague memory of one of the producers or writers saying they had come up with the idea of the camera, not the hobbits, seeing a hat with a feather, hopping along in the distance with the hat wearer completely blocked by the landscape. It was supposed to be a kind of Easter Egg for the book's Tom fans. But of course, even if they had considered doing that, in the end they didn't. I think.

The reference would have been to this specific line in the book:
...and then suddenly, hopping and dancing along the path, there appeared above the reeds an old battered hat with a tall crown and a long blue feather stuck in the band. - LotR I.6

Would that have made you happier, assuming you're a Tom fan who still regrets his omission?

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Archive: All the TORn Reading Room Book Discussions (including the 1st BotR Discussion!) and Footerama: "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
Dr. Squire introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

Mole
Bree

Jan 2 2017, 8:48am

Post #4 of 5 (1801 views)
Shortcut
Thanks both. [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, he is one of my favourite characters and I think it is a nice period in the book. I can now recall those comments in which she inferred that fans can assume that they had met Tom. Yet, it was something like the view of his hat that I had hoped was hidden somewhere in a scene. What a brilliant and simple idea that would have been. I can't imagine it would have been that hard to conjure as they had already been so attentive in their creation.

Is there a chance that such a moment was shot and does exist somewhere? Has there ever been any further mention of such a scene in any interviews?

Hamfast Gamgee
Tol Eressea

Jan 4 2017, 2:14pm

Post #5 of 5 (1704 views)
Shortcut
Some of Bombadils lines [In reply to] Can't Post

Where given to Treebeard in the extended edition of The Two Towers. The movie had Old Man Willow been in Fangorn Forest! A curious idea!

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.