Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
Would anyone be interested in a Reading-Room style discussion of an Off-Topic book?

Curious
Half-elven

Mar 12 2007, 8:09pm

Post #1 of 12 (1033 views)
Shortcut
     Would anyone be interested in a Reading-Room style discussion of an Off-Topic book?  

If so, please respond here.

(This post was edited by Kimi on Mar 13 2007, 12:05am)

FarFromHome
Valinor

Mar 12 2007, 8:45pm

Post #2 of 12 (862 views)
Shortcut
     If we could agree on a book [In reply to]  

I'd certainly be interested in taking part. We couldn't expect to get the same depth of discussion, though, since people presumably wouldn't be familiar with the book beforehand. But that might be a good thing, for a change!

...and the sails were drawn up, and the wind blew,
and slowly the ship slipped away down the long grey firth;
and the light of the glass of Galadriel that Frodo bore
glimmered and was lost.

a.s.
Valinor

Mar 12 2007, 9:11pm

Post #3 of 12 (857 views)
Shortcut
     yes, but not as prolonged [In reply to]  

except maybe for a few "classics", I can't imagine doing a chapter by chapter "analysis" as we do for LOTR. But I would definately be interested in doing this.

a.s.

"an seileachan"

Everybody's wondering what and where they all came from.
Everybody's worried 'bout where they're gonna go when the whole thing's done.
No one knows for certain, and so it's all the same to me:
I think I'll just let the mystery be.
~~~~Iris DeMent

Curious
Half-elven

Mar 12 2007, 9:22pm

Post #4 of 12 (870 views)
Shortcut
     Which classics? [In reply to]  

Moriel
The Shire

Mar 12 2007, 9:42pm

Post #5 of 12 (858 views)
Shortcut
     Beowulf or some other medieval writing? [In reply to]  

I having been in here for a while, so forgive me if it has been done already, but Beowulf seems like a logical choice since it is both a classic and is very Tolkien related.

Or how about Icelandic sagas? Many of them can be found in translation online which would allow everyone easy access to the same text. http://omacl.org/language.html

And there are always Tolkien's translations of Pearl, Sir Orfeo, and Sir Gawain and the Green Night.

Moriel - the Daughter of the Dark
Serving your wiseacre needs since the blooming of the Trees.

Moriel
The Shire

Mar 12 2007, 9:45pm

Post #6 of 12 (882 views)
Shortcut
     Stephen Donaldson's "Lord Foul's Bane" [In reply to]  

It is a very good fantasy that owes a lot to Tolkien. Indeed many of the concepts in the book are taken directly from LOTR (magic ring, fiery mountain, immortal evil being regaining his power, etc) but Donaldson manages to create a world and a story that is unique and wonderful in it's own right.

Moriel - the Daughter of the Dark
Serving your wiseacre needs since the blooming of the Trees.

Curious
Half-elven

Mar 12 2007, 9:50pm

Post #7 of 12 (869 views)
Shortcut
     Please respond in the Off Topic Board, as originally requested. [In reply to]  

The admins asked me to keep the discussion on that board. I know, I contributed to the problem by replying to a.s. on this board, but I will not do so in the future. I would appreciate it if everyone who responded on this board could do so again on the Off Topic Board. Thanks.

Stapper
Lorien

Mar 12 2007, 10:01pm

Post #8 of 12 (851 views)
Shortcut
     Beowulf's Old English [In reply to]  

Which I find very hard to read.Middle English's a bit easier (one advantage of a mandatory Middle English literature course where texts are set which do not have a modern English translation).
But then, I won't be the only one being too good reading older texts. Which brings me to translations into modern English. We'd all need the same translation on order to be able to compare properly... different editors might translate or phrase things differently, after all. Yes, they are available online -- but is the quality any good?

Belinda's law: The chance a computer crashes is proportional to the importance of the document you're working on

FOTR:50 links / Samwise's cookbook / TORn birthday calendar / 'Things you never (want to) hear people say' list

Stapper
Lorien

Mar 12 2007, 10:06pm

Post #9 of 12 (864 views)
Shortcut
     Something (post-)Shakespearean? [In reply to]  

Then it's easier to all find copies with little to no variety in the text. The older (or rarer) the text, the higher the odds people will have very different varieties of the same basic text. This could make discussion fun in terms of comparison, but also complicate things because different wording can alter people's perception of what they read.

Just a suggestion...

Belinda's law: The chance a computer crashes is proportional to the importance of the document you're working on

FOTR:50 links / Samwise's cookbook / TORn birthday calendar / 'Things you never (want to) hear people say' list

FarFromHome
Valinor

Mar 12 2007, 10:13pm

Post #10 of 12 (842 views)
Shortcut
     I didn't notice [In reply to]  

that 'here' in your post was a link! I thought you actually meant here.

...and the sails were drawn up, and the wind blew,
and slowly the ship slipped away down the long grey firth;
and the light of the glass of Galadriel that Frodo bore
glimmered and was lost.

Foe
Lorien

Mar 12 2007, 10:35pm

Post #11 of 12 (841 views)
Shortcut
     I would go for this discussion perhaps [In reply to]  

I've tried to get into "Lord Foul's Bane" a few times and lose it around the same part each time. This might help me out. Good choice!

Email Foe!

Foe's LiveJournal!

Foe's Myspace!

YIM, AIM, MSN= foehelm

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 12 2007, 11:05pm

Post #12 of 12 (908 views)
Shortcut
     I've locked this thread [In reply to]  

so that no one else accidentally replies here rather than on Off Topic (that looks odd). Anyone who's responded here and hasn't yet re-done their response on Off Topic might like to do just that, then I can do a tidy-up.

I'm also going to ask Altaira if links can be made more visible :-)

Promises to Keep: a novel set in 19th Century New Zealand.

The Passing of Mistress Rose

Do we find happiness so often that we should turn it off the box when it happens to sit there?

- A Room With a View

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.