Hobbit trilogy positives?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Intergalactic Lawman
Rohan

Feb 7 2017, 4:24am

Post #26 of 30 (2179 views)
Shortcut
5% [In reply to] Can't Post

I honestly only think there is about 5% positive to the 95% which is downright tripe!

Bilbo was a great choice, Thorin was a great choice, Tauriel was a nice inclusion, Laketown had a nice design...but that is about it!

FrogmortonJustice65
Lorien

Feb 13 2017, 6:08am

Post #27 of 30 (2074 views)
Shortcut
Certain scenes in the Hobbit trilogy are more or less as strong as any content from LOTR [In reply to] Can't Post

- finding Sting + Bilbo and Gandalf conversation about mercy
- Riddles in the Dark
- the butterflies scene / spiders sequence
- Inside Information
- the return to Hobbiton

Freeman, Armitage and McKellen deliver excellent performances.

Lots to appreciate about the Hobbit trilogy despite its flaws - I've returned to this board for the first time in a while, and I see there is still plenty of undeserved vitriol being directed at these films.

photo cbccab4e-f61e-4be5-aaa1-20e302430c7c.jpg

(This post was edited by FrogmortonJustice65 on Feb 13 2017, 6:10am)

Omnigeek
Lorien

Apr 16 2017, 7:40am

Post #28 of 30 (1889 views)
Shortcut
Good Morning, soundtrack, and Last Goodbye [In reply to] Can't Post

The Good Morning scene and Howard Shore's soundtrack. I was excited by the opening but it all went downhill after that, starting with undwarven Dwarves until the end. I will say I loved Billy Boyd's Last Goodbye.

Paulo Gabriel
Lorien

May 31 2017, 1:51pm

Post #29 of 30 (1592 views)
Shortcut
Ironically... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
The Good Morning scene and Howard Shore's soundtrack. I was excited by the opening but it all went downhill after that, starting with undwarven Dwarves until the end. I will say I loved Billy Boyd's Last Goodbye.

Even the ''Good Morning'' wasn't 100% faithful/verbatin to the book, but some of the so-called 'purists' still like it to a great degree, curiously.

But I agree with you that Howard Shore's score for the trilogy is THE best thing to come out of it, whether you are more of a book-fan or more of a movie-fan.

I also like Billy Boyd's song, and the ending credits in gereral, which very ingeniously mirrored those of LOTR.

(This post was edited by Paulo Gabriel on May 31 2017, 1:54pm)

Omnigeek
Lorien

Jun 20 2017, 12:17am

Post #30 of 30 (1424 views)
Shortcut
Purism and the Good Morning scene [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

In Reply To

Even the ''Good Morning'' wasn't 100% faithful/verbatin to the book, but some of the so-called 'purists' still like it to a great degree, curiously.

But I agree with you that Howard Shore's score for the trilogy is THE best thing to come out of it, whether you are more of a book-fan or more of a movie-fan.

I also like Billy Boyd's song, and the ending credits in gereral, which very ingeniously mirrored those of LOTR.

Contrary to what some may think, I haven't approached adaptations as a purist. The Rankin-Bass cartoon departed frequently from the text, ranging from changing how the Unexpected Party developed to completely deleting Beorn to killing half of Thorin's Company but it kept the SPIRIT of the book. Some sources say R-B submitted the script to Christopher Tolkien 8 times before they got his seal of approval -- they probably didn't hae to do so by contract but it's telling that they wanted to do it. Jackson's take on "Good Morning" was similar -- it kept the FLAVOR of the moment (which IMO is why so many "purists" still like it).
What got me with the new trilogy were the very many departures they made, from costuming to script, that were completely unnecessary. Beardless dwarves, puerile humor, a stupid love triangle, and a side story with a dead character were all unnecessary and detracted from a much-loved story IMO.
I will agree that the credit roll for the final movie, including Billy Boyd's song, was genius.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.