Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
What did you think of Rogue One?
Poll: What did you think of Rogue One?
Extraordinary! -One of the Best Star Wars movies of all Time!
It was good
It was alright- Force Awakens better, and it has a lot of flaws
It sucked- one of the worst Star Wars ever!
View Results (44 votes)

HOBBITFAN13
Lorien

Dec 21 2016, 10:24pm

Post #1 of 15 (1951 views)
Shortcut
What did you think of Rogue One? Can't Post

I personally loved it and I think it is better than Force Awakens (I adore that movie too).

Dwarewien
Rohan

Dec 21 2016, 11:00pm

Post #2 of 15 (1871 views)
Shortcut
I enjoyed it.... [In reply to] Can't Post

going for a second time on Christmas Day (since the theater it's playing in is also open on Christmas Day, due to the fact that it's more than just a movie theater, it also has an arcade). I'm not sure if I would rank it as the best Star Wars movie of all time, since I've yet to see Episodes II and III (I've seen all the others). As for better than The Force Awakens, I'll have to get back to you on that one, since I've only seen Rogue One once (I can only afford to go once a week).Smile

Belegdir
Lorien

Dec 22 2016, 7:37pm

Post #3 of 15 (1823 views)
Shortcut
It was good in the end [In reply to] Can't Post

It took a while to get going, but by the end it was quite a good film. Still has it's flaws, but it was much better than The Force Awakens, which I still haven't seen a second time.

Fake
The Shire

Dec 23 2016, 9:41pm

Post #4 of 15 (1751 views)
Shortcut
I thoroughly enjoyed it [In reply to] Can't Post

Started out a bit slow, but I liked the exposition of the flaw in the design of the deathstar. Cg Tarkin looked kinda creepy, but cg Leia reminded me of what a hottie she was :) Great ending. I didn't mind the lack of character development either, since they all died. Seeing Vader again was great, esp. the scene in the corridor. TFA was satisfying as well, I hope VIII is even better.

malickfan
Gondor

Dec 24 2016, 10:58am

Post #5 of 15 (1724 views)
Shortcut
Already seen it twice [In reply to] Can't Post

The first act is somewhat clunky, some of the acting in a little wooden, the dialogue is hit and miss and the characters mostly thinly sketched archetypes...but most of those issues would afflict any men on a secret mission War film, and Rogue One is a very enjoyable example of the that in the Star Wars universe, doing a solid job of combining plot and action. The stunning set pieces, good acting (for the most part) fantastic cinematography and expensive production values, do a great deal for making up for the shortcomings in the script and pacing, a little cliched but great fun.

I love The Force Awakens (seen it five times to date I think) as well, the former is a slightly superior film i.m.o, but I'll happily watch both again and again, very glad I'm enjoying Star Wars again.

Gianna
Rohan

Dec 27 2016, 8:50pm

Post #6 of 15 (1654 views)
Shortcut
It was good. [In reply to] Can't Post

In some ways it was certainly better than TFA. There were fewer "look how many references to the original trilogy we can throw in" moments and it led perfectly into A New Hope.

I really want to express my appreciation that there was no kiss at the end... that would've COMPLETELY ruined the emotion of the scene. I do ship Cassian and Jyn though Tongue

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Jan 1 2017, 2:48am

Post #7 of 15 (1565 views)
Shortcut
2016 reeked and SO TOTALLY DONE WITH THE APOCALYPSE!!!!!!!!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Which sums up my view of Rogue.

OK. to be fair, it was well done. It is a stand alone, not part of a neverending series, so they can take more chances, like, ohhhhhh killing everyone off (except, ironically, the people who are actually dead in real life).

It was more realistic, gritty, grim grey, kind of like someone took a camera into the Middle East and got caught in Syria. Ugh.

At least we had Maui With A Really Big Blaster. Fighting on a tropical beach. And saying "you're welcome" the first time he saves someone. (My friend and I have seen Moana waaaaaay too many times and lost it when he said "You're Welcome").

Also Blind Not-Jedi With Awesome Kung-fu Skills turns out to be Donnie Yen who I have seen in a few things like Ip Man and Hero.

The resurrection of Tarkin and Leia through CG was fabulous. The latter the perfect tribute to our recently passed Carrie Fisher. Tarkin's Cg moments were like 99.9% perfect and never fell into the Uncanny Valley.

I think it was a worthy addition to the stable, just....

I far preferred the Force Awakens. And Moana. And Zootopia. And the Jungle Book. And Finding Dory. And Doctor Strange. And Fantastic Beasts.

And that's saying something for someone who was there like 4691723649 times in 1977 and had a Ford Falcon with the word Millennium spelled out in silver letters over the Falcon logo...

JUST GET OVER THIS GREY GRIM GRITTY APOCALYPTIC CRAP ALREADY PEOPLE!!!!!

Gee, was I shouting?

Mad

Stomping off to watch Kubo and the Two Strings again.

At least everybody doesn't die.

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Jan 1 2017, 2:49am

Post #8 of 15 (1558 views)
Shortcut
I think you summed it up neater than anyone... [In reply to] Can't Post

yeah, what character development... they all died anyway...

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Jan 7 2017, 12:24am

Post #9 of 15 (1494 views)
Shortcut
Well it was better than TFA, but... [In reply to] Can't Post

it's hard to say I liked it - definitely a different feel than the normal "Star Wars" movies; not much "happy and hopeful" to be seen here. Also there was so much info thrown at you in the beginning, it was hard to know what was going on there for awhile. My friends and I have a joke about the 2nd team of writers coming in; my hubby says in this case the 2nd team did a better job than the first oneTongue I thought Ben Mendelson did an excellent job, but my favorite character was probably the robot. You know, when you cry over the robot getting killed, that's something. But about Mendelson, yeah I thought he was a much better villain than whoever that forgettable General was in TFA, and no way can Kylo Ren top the original Lord VaderWink I went to the show thinking there's a good chance everyone will get killed - well, how 'bout that, hmmm. Yeah, kind of like "The Hurt Locker," really well-made movie, but I'm not sure I can say I liked it.Crazy

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Jan 7 2017, 12:28am

Post #10 of 15 (1493 views)
Shortcut
Don't hold back! [In reply to] Can't Post

Tell us how you REALLY feel, LOLZ!!!SlySlySly Yeah, part of it did feel like a news report on Syria, my daughter said the same thing. Guess they were trying for that, hmmm.Crazy

Btw, my younger daughter (who is 20) LUVED Moana. But I haven't seen it yet.

(This post was edited by Kilidoescartwheels on Jan 7 2017, 12:29am)

Meneldor
Valinor

Jan 8 2017, 2:11am

Post #11 of 15 (1476 views)
Shortcut
Just got back from my 2nd viewing. [In reply to] Can't Post

Like Middle-earth films, I need to see SW movies twice before I can make a fair assessment. I have so much anticipation, prejudice, and hype in my head that I have to watch it once to clear out all the expectations before I can watch it again to see it as it really is.

It was much better the second time. First time, I didn't know the characters, wasn't much attached to them, couldn't get all worked up about what happened to them. Second time, knowing where they came from and where they were going, I got a lot more emotionally invested in them.

A nostalgic high point for me was the return of Gold Leader and Red Leader. Those guys haven't had any new material on the big screen since 1977, and it was like they hadn't aged a day! (Their scenes were shot with unused footage from the original SW.)

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Jan 8 2017, 3:16pm

Post #12 of 15 (1454 views)
Shortcut
wait wait [In reply to] Can't Post

was I shouting?????????????

Laugh

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Jan 8 2017, 3:19pm

Post #13 of 15 (1453 views)
Shortcut
I too [In reply to] Can't Post

tend to pick way more stuff up on a second (or third or fourth) viewing. Tangled was one where I came out of the theater going "meh"... and actually liked it better when I saw it again on DVD. Rogue may be like that somewhat, complex enough that a second viewing pulls things together... it's just too grim and apocalyptic to want to relive. I do like all the shoutouts to New Hope (1977), still my iconic SW film.

Yeah, but then, I liked the "prequels" too.

Riven Delve
Tol Eressea

Jan 10 2017, 12:58am

Post #14 of 15 (1420 views)
Shortcut
Red and Gold leaders [In reply to] Can't Post

I would have been fine with no other Easter eggs and just these two guys. Every time I've seen the movie (several times now), I get a huge grin when they come on the screen, and I just can't stop. Evil

Cuwen Maegmacil
Rivendell

Jan 11 2017, 4:09pm

Post #15 of 15 (1396 views)
Shortcut
WAY better than the Force Awakens!! [In reply to] Can't Post

I loved it! I wouldn't change a single thing about it! I won't give spoilers, just in case someone hasn't seen it, but I saw it twice and loved it immensely both times!!

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.