TORN's Exclusive Interview with Guillermo Del Toro
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next page Last page  View All

Sunflower
Valinor

Apr 25 2008, 11:18pm

Post #51 of 128 (15254 views)
Shortcut
Bucky.... [In reply to] Can't Post

sorry, but that probably would not happen, for the same reason that we do not have a permanent museum to store the LOTR artifacts in.

The Tolkien Estate is (justifiably) worried about the focus of the Tolkien legacy shifting to NZ/ films instead of Tolkien's England/books. And in this matter I agree with the Estate. It's sad, I know, but I completely see their reasoning. it would be a terrible thing if Rivendell ever became a bigger toruist attraction than the pastoral locales of Tolkien's boyhood. In today's post-literary climate, where books matter less and ess b/c the world moves faster and faster, that is a very real danger. (I wonder what is the ratio of Saltzburg tourists for The Sound of Music vs. Mozart's first home. Not many for the latter, according to what I read; and this is 40+ yrs later, the same timeframe that LOTR will be around....(the LOTR cinematic legacy may pan out like that of TSOM.)

Sunflower
Valinor

Apr 25 2008, 11:25pm

Post #52 of 128 (13724 views)
Shortcut
Also....."lost scenes" from FOTR [In reply to] Can't Post

He could be referring to some of Gandalf's recollections from "The Council of Elrond." (still one f my favorite LOTR chapters.)

Perhaps told as this chapter is in the book, more from an Elvish/Elrond POV. (The film is from Frodo's POV.) We could see flashbacks to Elrond's memory of marching out with the Last Alliance host.

Also, if you are tying events in neatly to LOTR, a "natural progression", than many of Gandalf's recalled events leading up to the War would make perfect sense onscreen....the capture of Gollum, Aragorn leading him to Lorien, and the Elves' leniency with him that leads to his ecape. Just as PJ showed us His escape from Orthanc, etc....GDT could build on that somehow. (OMG....OMG...he may call Viggo back, and we'll see Aragorn and Gollum onscreen together.....*THUNK* . This would be pperfectly permissble from the TE's POV, he is of course Aragorn and not Thorongil at this point....so no invention.....(HAVE To go back and re-read "The Council of Elrond"...OMG....I'm going to faint.....(Might be interesting to see Viggo go "Disney" again after baring all....heheLaughEvil. OH no....I am getting sinful thoughts...must stop)

(This post was edited by Sunflower on Apr 25 2008, 11:28pm)

Sunflower
Valinor

Apr 25 2008, 11:31pm

Post #53 of 128 (13707 views)
Shortcut
Geez, the man is becoming addicted to this place already?:) [In reply to] Can't Post

He is officially a TORNsib now!

Oh, so much, so much, oh how will I have a social life now this weekend????

This is so surreal....must take it all in.....

(This post was edited by Sunflower on Apr 25 2008, 11:38pm)

Sunflower
Valinor

Apr 25 2008, 11:38pm

Post #54 of 128 (14955 views)
Shortcut
In which case you must be our spy, L.Ron. *snert* [In reply to] Can't Post

Our own burglar, methinks?

One of many. We know you have it in you! EvilSly

PS. oops? Did that show up in the right place? Oh well...you kow who it was addressed toBlush)

(This post was edited by Sunflower on Apr 25 2008, 11:41pm)

stormcrow20
Gondor

Apr 25 2008, 11:46pm

Post #55 of 128 (13595 views)
Shortcut
I agree...I'm also skeptical of animatronics [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm not so sure animatronics is the right way to go for The Hobbit.

I haven't seen Pan's Labyrinth, and it's been a while since I've seen Hellboy, but somehow, my brain picks out patterns of movements from animatronics and puppets, even when well done, and totally removes me from the film. Yoda in Ep.I for instance, is much more distracting to me than CGI Yoda in Ep. II and III.

Didn't they use both animatronics and CGI for Treebeard? Compare him with the Balrog and Oliphaunts. Which has more convincing, realistic movements? A few shots of Treebeard just looked way too mechanical.

Whatever they used for the Balrog, Oliphaunts, etc. is what should be used in The Hobbit, in my opinion. Just think how those techniques have improved in the more than ten years that will have passed between these productions.

~~~~~~
Círdan saw further and deeper than any other in Middle-earth, and he welcomed Mithrandir at the Grey Havens, knowing whence he came and whither he would return.
'Take this ring, master,' he said, 'for your labours will be heavy; but it will support you in the weariness you have taken upon yourself. For this is the Ring of Fire, and with it you may rekindle hearts in a world that grows chill.'

Elrond Lover
The Shire

Apr 26 2008, 1:13am

Post #56 of 128 (13787 views)
Shortcut
Who will be Elrond? *Fretting* [In reply to] Can't Post

Mr. Del Toro:

I hope you are reading these! I didn't know much about you or how you would handle the new films, but after reading your interview here, I am not only relieved but extremely excited! Ian McKellan? Yay! A "must" in my eyes.

Oh please, oh please sign Hugo Weaving for Elrond. I know it may take just a bit of work to make him "ageless" but he is the quintessential Elrond for many fans!

I am so looking forward to these films. Seeing the picture of you reverently holding The Hobbit told me a lot! Knowing Peter Jackson and Weta will be involved again set my mind at ease.

Hugo Weaving! Please!!!!!
Smile

ringers rock!
Rivendell

Apr 26 2008, 1:16am

Post #57 of 128 (13560 views)
Shortcut
the dvds will be handled with extra care [In reply to] Can't Post

so as to provide as much profit as possible. If our friends ignore or discourage our love of this story, you can bet yer hairy feet the distributors and producers will enable us for life.

Ouch. Fell off the planet. What's a girl gotta do to get some magic rope around here?

Shiredude
The Shire

Apr 26 2008, 1:32am

Post #58 of 128 (13563 views)
Shortcut
GDT Director [In reply to] Can't Post

I was not sure about GDT as director at first. However, after reading this interview and hearing his points of view and seeing how his enthusiam shined threw, I am excited!

Shiredude
The Shire

Apr 26 2008, 1:56am

Post #59 of 128 (13907 views)
Shortcut
GDT Hobbit Director [In reply to] Can't Post

I was lukewarm at first to GDT as the Hobbit director. However, upon reading the TORN interview today I see he will be true to the spirt of these films and it's easy to see he brings great passion to the project!

Voorhas
Lorien

Apr 26 2008, 3:18am

Post #60 of 128 (13479 views)
Shortcut
True [In reply to] Can't Post

There haven't been a lot of really successful animatronics performances in film (ET? "Bruce" the shark in Jaws?). Maybe they're trying to separate Smaug from the onslaught of CGI movie dragons we've seen in recent years...and give the ol' boy a bit more physical reality.

No doubt they'll revert to CGI for long shots and action scenes.

"They who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night." -- E.A. Poe

(This post was edited by Voorhas on Apr 26 2008, 3:19am)

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 26 2008, 5:33am

Post #61 of 128 (13472 views)
Shortcut
*awards prize for funniest avatar* [In reply to] Can't Post

You had me laughing out loud at that one. Laugh

Welcome to TORN!

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Forger

Apr 26 2008, 9:27am

Post #62 of 128 (13661 views)
Shortcut
Comforting [In reply to] Can't Post

It's comforting to know that both films are in safe hands!

Elrond Lover
The Shire

Apr 26 2008, 11:28am

Post #63 of 128 (13534 views)
Shortcut
Tee hee! [In reply to] Can't Post

Yours gave me quite a giggle too!
Cool

Thanks for the welcome.

*curtsies*

Dom

Apr 26 2008, 12:25pm

Post #64 of 128 (13662 views)
Shortcut
Great news! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi guys! Another newbie here!

It's great news that the films are going ahead. I guess for the second movie there'll be much reading of stuff like the Unfinished Tales and Christopher Tolkien's History of Middle Earth sequence! I'm a big fan of Del Toro's Spanish language stuff and reckon his visual sensibility is perfect for The Hobbit!

Who knows . . . maybe, one day, we'll get to see Quenta Silmarillion and The Children of Húrin turned into movies too! :)

Peredhil lover
Valinor

Apr 26 2008, 12:30pm

Post #65 of 128 (13464 views)
Shortcut
Welcome! [In reply to] Can't Post

But as much as I'd like it, they can't use Silmarillion, HoME or UT, because Tolkien never sold the film rights for that. He not even lived to see them published. They are only allowed to use Hobbit and LotR, sadly. And I doubt that will change any time soon, considering Christopher Tolkiens attitude in this matter.

Anyway, it is exciting, isn't it? And to think we're only at the beginning of four years of fun and excitement and rumours ...

I do not suffer from LotR obsession - I enjoy every minute of it.

Telperion313
The Shire

Apr 26 2008, 1:45pm

Post #66 of 128 (15356 views)
Shortcut
I've been worried about this for a while... [In reply to] Can't Post

I've always thought Elijah was too young for Frodo. Frodo got the ring when he was 33, and left the shire at age fifty. Factoring in the effects of the ring, and differences between hobbits and humans, I figured a 35 year old actor would be most appropriate.

For Bilbo... he was fifty, but no ring, so... (sigh) yeah, I guess Ian Holm IS too old. I just hope they don't go too young. There's a lot of natural comedy in the hobbit because Bilbo is an overweight, middle-aged guy being thrown into an adventure he's not ready for. I like all the actors people are buzzing about, especially Martin Freeman, but I think maybe they're just too young...

maut
Rivendell

Apr 26 2008, 2:17pm

Post #67 of 128 (14875 views)
Shortcut
What I think on Bilbo [In reply to] Can't Post

as Trilogy is Canon, it must be Ian Holm there. Remember the Prologue to FotR when Bildo is finding the Ring? And actually Mr Holm suites perfectly for this role. But nevertheless I believe they'll do their best to find a perfect Bilbo. At least, I do hope.

One Ring to rule them all,
one Ring to find them,
oneRing to bring them all,
and in darkness bind them!
Na-chaered palan-díriel
o galadhremmin ennorath,
Fanuilos, le linnathon
nef aear, sí nef aearon!

randallsadler

Apr 26 2008, 6:35pm

Post #68 of 128 (13781 views)
Shortcut
on the plumpness of hobbits [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm with you on the overweight issue for Bilbo! That is definitely part of the humor of the Hobbit--this chubby little hobbit going off on his Hero's Journey! I did think all the hobbits in the LOTR movies were a bit too....fit!

greendragon
Sr. Staff

Apr 26 2008, 8:11pm

Post #69 of 128 (14993 views)
Shortcut
exactly! That would be amazing! Maybe if we ask very nicely...?! [In reply to] Can't Post

After, we are not just any old tourists now are we?! Wink I'm so excited to read that we really WILL be going back to 'our' version of ME; can't wait to revisit it. Hurrah hurrah and thrice hurrah! I love the Shire so much - can't wait to see it back to life. And this time I bet they will leave up alot more of the set - if NL will allow it!

'There are older and fouler things than orcs in the deep places of my fridge...'

'You never know what will happen next, when once you get mixed up with TORnsibs and their friends.'

greendragon
Sr. Staff

Apr 26 2008, 8:15pm

Post #70 of 128 (13434 views)
Shortcut
well, so long as he remembers to keep in some breakdance fighting and shield surfing, we'll be fine...! // [In reply to] Can't Post

'There are older and fouler things than orcs in the deep places of my fridge...'

'You never know what will happen next, when once you get mixed up with TORnsibs and their friends.'

Guillermo
Rivendell

Apr 26 2008, 11:45pm

Post #71 of 128 (14381 views)
Shortcut
Post deleted by Xoanon [In reply to]

Nienna
Rohan

Apr 26 2008, 11:47pm

Post #72 of 128 (13585 views)
Shortcut
We trust - we trust! [In reply to] Can't Post

It's SO great to hear from you.
Thank you - thank you!

DrawRide

Apr 26 2008, 11:55pm

Post #73 of 128 (13570 views)
Shortcut
bring on the monsters! [In reply to] Can't Post

Welcome Guillermo! Very eager to see the energy and palette you bring to these worlds. But especially eager to see the monsters.

regards,
Paul

(This post was edited by DrawRide on Apr 27 2008, 12:02am)

greendragon
Sr. Staff

Apr 26 2008, 11:56pm

Post #74 of 128 (13668 views)
Shortcut
Sir, you are an artist and a gentleman! [In reply to] Can't Post

We're honoured by your words and I'm honoured by you responding to my tongue-in-cheek remark about Legolas' shield surfing! Wink Speaking personally, I am SO excited to return to Middle Earth in your hands; for me, Pan's Labyrinth was a film which was beautiful, heartbreaking and so daring - having the courage to tell a 'fairy tale' in such an adult, dark and thoughtful way was breathtaking. I am thrilled to think that you will be helming these two new films.

I cannot speak for all but you certainly have my trust and support - and that of most of us here, I am sure! One of our regular posters, grammaboodawg, has the footer 'Trust Peter! I think now we must add to that 'Trust Guillermo!' Your friends are with you, Mr del Toro! We look forward to sharing this adventure - and thank you for trusting US! Smile

orcbane
Gondor

Apr 26 2008, 11:57pm

Post #75 of 128 (14275 views)
Shortcut
Bilbo [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
and in re-reading THE HOBBIT just recently I was quite moved by discovering, through Bilbo's eyes the deceit of possession and hoarding and the banality of war- whether in the Western Front or at a Valley in Middle Earth.

Bilbo does have an amazing character. It can seem light and superficial but then he does or says something utterly profound. I think it relates to his ability to hold, or I should say resist The Ring for 60 years. But man is it hard to define ! Welcome btw! and let me say a heart-felt thanks for allowing us to feel, just a little, part of this experience.

An Ent juggling spikey things ?

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.